Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fitting In...

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hello Treetop and sufferer....
    At just 14, you're both very young, and you both come from an extremely strong and devoted religious sector... I would say that before declaring yourselves to be buddhist to ANYONE, you investigate the whole situation and find out a whole lot more.... Sabine has been with us quite some time, and has obviously put a great deal of thought, effort and consideration, plus a whole lot of research, before deciding to adhere to the Buddhist path.
    The Internet has an extraordinary amount of information on all things Buddhist - and meditation is just a part of it. Some Buddhists don't meditate at all....
    My daughter is 14, and I certainly wouldn't attempt to persuade her to follow any particular religion, be it Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism - until she had grown up a bit, and done some research.... And growing up is not easy when you are as young and 'enthusiastic' as you two obviously are!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    how do u tell yuor family your a buddhist? i mean my faimy are devoted mormans!

....if your family are devoted "mormans", you'd think ya'd know how to spell it..... :wtf:

Excuse me, everyone, but do I smell :bs: - ?? :lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hi there, Treetop Buddha and Sufferer,

What do you have to do? In very simple terms, you have to spend some time and effort studying the basic teachings of Buddhism, the Four Noble Truths and -above all - the Noble Eighfold Path which is a prescription for our daily lives. As you study, you may find that you want to put what you are reading into practice: that's exactly what it's for.

As a group, this e-sangha has one thing on which we all agree: Buddhism is not about taking anything (even the reported words of the Buddha) on faith. We all recognise that Buddhism is about what works to bring about a quiet mind.

In fact, you do not even need to abandon the practices of your family, so long as they do not violate your own, personal integrity. Buddhism does not mean that you have to go about with a mala round your neck or a Dharma t-shirt. Unless and until you have studied and practised for a few years, your beliefs and practice can be entirely your own.

The practice of Buddhism is the ultimate example of "walking the talk".
  • edited September 2005
    :rant: thx, for the advice i realize that buddhism is a lot more than just meditating, it is a way of life. thanks again, though you may have been given the impression that i'm the same reigion as treetop buddha, but i'm presbyterian. And though treetop buddha may seem like an idiot to you, he's a very nice guy, and a devoted buddhist, just as i am. We are still learning about this way of life, and we are reasearching, we have many books checked out from our library, and we are using the internet, in sites like this, to learn even more. :rant:

:ninja: :ninja:
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    :crazy: thanks for the info and yuor right maybe i should wait to tell my mom (and my bad in spelling mormon wrong but i never really belived in it so church was just nap time to me) and felt what my family felt i felt empty but now Buddha has filled that hole and i want to thank sufferer for the backing and the support he`s my best friend :p thaks man!
    edited September 2005
    Well Ok guys, and good for you, for coming back the way you have....
    Take things slowly... absorb what you learn, and don't rush things. the way I found best to progress was to always try out things for myself.... 'If it feels good, do it: when in doubt, don't'. Study the 8Fold path, and focus on doing things with Consciousness.... In other words, be Mindful of your Thoughts, Words and Deeds.... The rest is easy - !! :buck: :lol: :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Hello Sufferer and TreeTopBuddha!

I am Adiana and I just want to say welcome to the site. I am a Nichiren Buddhist as well as a Correllian Tradition Wiccan. I have always been made to feel welcome here and I like that. I look forward to getting to know you both. Once again, welcome!

Adiana :wavey: :wavey:
    edited September 2005
    :bigclap: thanx for the welcome and i am looking forward to getting to know u all( and thanks for the advice).

p.s. like my avatar?
  • edited September 2005
    thx for the advice and we will thake things slowly, if i snapped at you i'm sorry, and i thank everyone again. thx for the welcome adiana, and thx for the advice federica. we'll take it slow. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    :scratch:
    how do u start a thread? :type:
    edited September 2005
    see reply in 'default font and point size' question section, at bottom of forum index..... :type:
    edited September 2005
    alright ill try that

thanx
  • edited September 2005
    Since you are both about the same age as myself, you should (as I am) trying to keep quiet with my Buddhist beliefs. I tried talking to family about it once but they just saw it as a phase and kind of laughed it away. When I persisted, they sometimes got a little perturbed. So I have not said anything else about it.
  • edited September 2005
    true, i think it would be a little better if my mom didn't know right now! :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    You'd have thought that parents would welcome interest in Buddhism: it is neither messy (like masturbation), nor noisy (like much music)!
  • edited September 2005
    this proves the point, people fear what they do not understand. :ninja:
    edited September 2005
    you but monkey!!!!! i was gona say that!!! any ways my mon and i talked about diff. relgions and i told her what if i changed relgs. "i will beat u so hard that they will take u away" and i shut up!
  • edited September 2005
    Treetop.
    My son and I have talked about all kinds of different religions, Even Satanism. I have never or would ever discourage him form thinking on his own. I only encourage him to truly look hard at things that he is pondering. He has a right to make up his own mind.
    And while I may not always agree with his decisions. I am glad he can at least reason things out for himself, not just take the easy way and follow the crowd.
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt - that is so wonderful and I wish more parents did that rather than forcing their own religion down their children's throats. My husband and I have always said that our daughter is going to make up her own mind when it comes to religion.
    edited September 2005
    I showed this thread to my youngest son, Jack, who is 15. His response was to say: "I'd really like to see you try to persuade me about religion!" Then, laughing, he rolled away on his skateboard.
    edited September 2005
    dude u mnlght your awesome and yogamamma your right it seems that people u find a relgion belive in it more than the people born in it! i never belived in mormonism but i belived in peace even though i was always angry!
  • edited September 2005
    fear comes in many guises............ and this even more roves the point that was made earlier.. :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    dude u mnlght your awesome and yogamamma your right it seems that people u find a relgion belive in it more than the people born in it! i never belived in mormonism but i belived in peace even though i was always angry!

You know what, Treetop (may I call you Treetop?) - I can really understand your anger. I get angry when I hear of parents turning away from their children because of religion or sexuality or anything, really. I want to live in a world where every child is a wanted child, loved unconditionally. I want the aspirations of the Universal Declaration on the Rights of the Child are written on school walls, recited by legislators and pastors, enshrined in law:
    [font=Arial,Helvetica]humankind owes to the child the best it has to give
    [/font]
    http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/25.htm

And then, I want every growing and developing person, as they leave childhood and fight their way through the jungles of adolescence, to be given some respect, for goodness sake! They've been sent to penal institutions disguised as schools. They have been preached at about rights and freedoms and knowledge, and they have been urged to become part of the system. Some will, some will not. The vast majority will want to test the teachings for themselves. This, we should respect: it is the guarantee of the future.

I am sure that many here know Gibran's words about children from The Prophet:
    Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

edited September 2005
    dude u could call me tartortot if u wanted to man! and who wrote that poem? (its a poem right?) and i know what your talking about they are your kids! acept them i mean come on!
  • edited September 2005
    ok tatertot!!! :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    Treetop, it's from a book by Kahil Gibran, called 'The Prophet' and it contains many wise teachings on every aspect of life... marriage, work, and as with the above, Children.
    I personally believe this poem should be displayed everywhere where children participate, share or dominate... Schools, Homes, Maternity Hospitals....

We expect the Young to have some respect, but how can they learn respect in a society that gives them none?

"Respect your elders" is a term I would like to see vanquished to the Virus vault...!
    Respect your fellow Human Being would be a much better teaching.... no matter of what age.
  • edited September 2005
    Simon and Fede - I have not heard of "The Prophet". I need to get that one.
    edited September 2005
    Oh, I believe it's a must for any bookshelf... rather like 'Jonathan Lvingston seagull', 'The Little Prince', 'The water Babies' and 'You don't look 40 Charlie Brown'....!!
  • edited September 2005
    lol................... is the little prince really a must?? :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    U dont look 40 charlie brown what that about? and i agree wit u it should be changed!!!!!!!