Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should Cannabis (marijuana) be legalized?

12346»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    I know I've argued quite a lot in this thread, but I feel like posting just a bit more. For me what it ultimately boils down to (beyond questions about personal choice and the like) is net benefit vs net harm. Has drug prohibition provided a net benefit to society? I think it's pretty clear by now that the answer is "no", as people who want the drugs still obtain and use them regardless. So has prohibition caused a net harm to society? I think it has. In terms of tax dollars spent in this futile "war", in terms of live needless destroyed, ether in conflict with or between drug cartels, in terms of people imprisoned for fairly victimless crimes, and in terms of addicts having to rely on shady dealers and drugs of unknown potency and in maybe not being able to actively seek help for their addictions out of fear of prosecution and/or societal judgment.

I don't think most of the people arguing on this thread are addicted to any kind of drug.. I too am not addicted to any kind of drug but I know people who are addicted to it so I'm against it.
  • edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    "I think these guys have a very interesting perspective on the situation. "

7 years in jail for passing a joint to an undercover cop. Shows you the discusting nature of the rediculous war on drugs.

I'm friends with marijuana dealers personally. And I don't make friends with assholes. The drug war is evil, like many governments.

I have a question that is not important but just can't get out of my mind when I talk about this issue... why? Because drugs are 'bad'? I don't buy it.

aren't you going a little too extreme? teaching your kids the same thing!!??
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    aren't you going a little too extreme? teaching your kids the same thing!!??

"basically smoking marijuana regularaly is a problem"

No man I said I'm going to tell them I don't want them smoking pot.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    cool... there should be such laws everywhere.

I agree, especially when it comes to something which causes so many problems such as alcohol. :)
  • edited July 2010
    In Holland use of Marijuana is illegal but you are still allowed to smoke it. Many people in Holland, especially teens are turning to harder drugs because Marijuana is allowed. They actually managed to make weed boring! :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Thoughts on legalizing cannabis?

No.

This is just not a subject of interest to anyone trying to develop the skillful means of Buddhism. (I apologize to those who do smoke pot, but you've got your feet on both sides of the fence).
    edited July 2010
    I think if marijuana was legalized, you'd have less people going to jail or getting fined or criminal records who don't deserve it, and the society would come up with much better drug education for children.

In the past however I was skeptical about supporting the Green Party and the legalization of marijuana because it could lead people to doing harder drugs. But I think if harder drugs are still illegal you would'nt have people jumping on the heroin/cocaine/mushrooms/lsd/mdma/ecstacy/peyoti ect bandwagon.

I support the legalization of marijuana but not other drugs...
  • edited July 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    "basically smoking marijuana regularaly is a problem"

No man I said I'm going to tell them I don't want them smoking pot.

oh.. I got it the other way round. My mistake.
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited July 2010
    have you been addicted to it?? I am stressing on the point because I have seen the people who couldn't give it up and were miserable because of it.

Chicken and egg, how can we know which came first?

Growing my friends who ended up addicted to substances almost all came from less suportive families who had much bigger problems than drug use. In other words, how can you be sure that drugs cause misery when miserable people are more likely to use drugs to begin with?

No.

This is just not a subject of interest to anyone trying to develop the skillful means of Buddhism. (I apologize to those who do smoke pot, but you've got your feet on both sides of the fence).

How can you be so sure? Perhaps for some people cannabis perturbs the mind in way that facilitates learning about the mind.

I'll give you an example.

A couple of weeks ago I was playing in my first disc golf tournament. I had anxiety because I didn't know anyone in my group, and this anxiety caused me to play terribly, which then came back to enhance the anxiety.

Well then someone brought out a pipe and I took half a puff into my lungs. 5 minutes later I literally watched my anxiety reside and what I saw was illuminating. I saw as an experiential fact how anxiety creates a 'wall'. I saw how it caused intellectualization, and how I ignored the facial expressions and the voice tone and the real meaning of what people were communicating. I saw this in a direct, factual, empirical way, not as an intellectual idea.

But beyond that, people in these forums cope with dukkha in myriad ways, all of which do not necessarily lead to liberation. You can say that television, disc golf, bowling, mowing the lawn, dancing, tatoos, fashion, karaoke, and thousands of other activities are "not a subject of interest to anyone trying to develop the skillful means of Buddhism."
  • edited July 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    I agree, especially when it comes to something which causes so many problems such as alcohol. :)
    make alcohol totally illegal?? like it is not available for anybody? not even adults?
  • edited July 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »

No.

of course it is not but this is current events section and people can talk about anything here. At least I think so.. I might be wrong.
  • edited July 2010
    Simplify wrote: »
    Chicken and egg, how can we know which came first?

Growing my friends who ended up addicted to substances almost all came from less suportive families who had much bigger problems than drug use. In other words, how can you be sure that drugs cause misery when miserable people are more likely to use drugs to begin with?

people who don't have any problem, because of peer pressure and or just to have fun or just to try it started it and they are not addicted to it.

haven't you heard of such a thing??
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Sure I've known plenty of people who use drugs who aren't addicted to them. Most people in my country (America) use drugs and aren't addicted to them, even highly addictive drugs like alcohol.

Depending on what studies you look at, reports of the addictiveness of marijuana are often skewed because courts pressure people caught with marijuana to go to rehab and addiction counseling. Some people do get very strong habbits of marijuana use, but it should be no surprise to Buddhists that people form strong habits to all kinds of things. People get addicted to overeating, television, driving fast, skateboarding, cleaning their house, message boards, long distance running, anything.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    make alcohol totally illegal?? like it is not available for anybody? not even adults?

Yup! Look at the lives it's ruined! Look how stupid and irresponsible and dangerous people are when they use it!
  • edited July 2010
    Yup! Look at the lives it's ruined! Look how stupid and irresponsible and dangerous people are when they use it!

Alcohol is certainly an addictive drug which causes a lot of health, relationship and social disorder problems .

• edited July 2010
    Making alcohol illegal will never happen again. That was done here in america and was called "The Prohibition". Crime shot through the roof and it just went underground in "Speak Easies". I have no problem with weed and do think it should be leagalized. The whole war on drug thing is pointless and does not work and America spends way to much money on it and it has been an abysmal failure. Keep the hard stuff illegal.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Making alcohol illegal will never happen again. That was done here in america and was called "The Prohibition". Crime shot through the roof and it just went underground in "Speak Easies".

Yes, I know, that's basically my point, along with the hypocrisy of shouting for a ban on weed while being totally fine with alcohol (and drinking it underage to boot).
    edited July 2010
    I think the fundamental error with all drug laws is putting people in cages for doing things that we don't approve of. I think its a consequence of projecting one's insecurity on drug users.
  • edited July 2010
    Banning mind altering substances of one kind or another doesn't stop people using them. However, if one is a Buddhist and one follows the 5 precepts, then taking/smoking/ drinking intoxicants of one kind or another is clearly meant to be avoided.

edited July 2010
    I heard that no one knows the translation of the original text on the 5th precept. In other words no one knows what the words about the 5th precept means. Noone knows what it means.

Alan Watts said this, I wanted to start a post I was wondering if anyone heard this. It's not like I'm going to say OK get high the Buddha didn't say anything about it or anything I'm just curious.

If you've heard about this lemme know.
  • edited July 2010
    "Alan Watts said this"

With all due respect, the fact remains that Alan Watts was a 1960's hippy alcoholic.

7. "And what six ways of squandering wealth are to be avoided? Young man, heedlessness caused by intoxication, roaming the streets at inappropriate times, habitual partying, compulsive gambling, bad companionship, and laziness are the six ways of squandering wealth.

8. "These are the six dangers inherent in heedlessness caused by intoxication: loss of immediate wealth, increased quarreling, susceptibility to illness, disrepute, indecent exposure, and weakened insight.

Sigalovada Sutta DN 31

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

AND

The Fifth Precept

5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
    <DT>

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/pancasila.html

</DT>
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Alan Watts said this...

Lol I bet he did.
    edited July 2010
    Well that's the end of that in my world.
  • edited July 2010

restricting it is ok but full making it unavailable seems to be a little too much cause everyone including me drink it. -- cocktails etc.
  • edited July 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Alcohol is certainly an addictive drug which causes a lot of health, relationship and social disorder problems .

true but it is so common and is shown by movies to be awesome and cool... I don't think it would ever be illegal.... I don't consider alcohol to be bad stuff... cocktails, vodka etc. are um... good things. Taken in moderation of course.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    restricting it is ok but full making it unavailable seems to be a little too much cause everyone including me drink it. -- cocktails etc.
    Oh, well then, wouldn't want to make you give that up. Making weed fully illegal seems a little much because some of my friends smoke it [and harm no one] and my old lady neighbour likes to make brownies etc....
    I don't consider alcohol to be bad stuff... cocktails, vodka etc. are um... good things. Taken in moderation of course.

I would rather have people give up alcohol and smoke some pot in moderation....
    true but it is so common and is shown by movies to be awesome and cool... I don't think it would ever be illegal.... I don't consider alcohol to be bad stuff...

Edit - ok, you have to be trolling.
  • edited July 2010
    Making alcohol illegal will never happen again. That was done here in america and was called "The Prohibition". Crime shot through the roof and it just went underground in "Speak Easies". I have no problem with weed and do think it should be leagalized. The whole war on drug thing is pointless and does not work and America spends way to much money on it and it has been an abysmal failure. Keep the hard stuff illegal.

I don't like any smoking stuff.. cigarette, weed, cigar or anything else. cause they affect lungs from the first time.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I don't like any smoking stuff.. cigarette, weed, cigar or anything else. cause they affect lungs from the first time.

Everything you put in your body affects it. I doubt you and your friends never pig out on junk food or fast food. If a person wants to inhale smoke then that's frankly their choice. Alcohol might not affect your lungs but it sure makes some people stupid and dangerous to OTHERS, yet it's legal.
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, I know, that's basically my point, along with the hypocrisy of shouting for a ban on weed while being totally fine with alcohol (and drinking it underage to boot).

is alcohol as dangerous as weed?
  • edited July 2010
    Everything you put in your body affects it. I doubt you and your friends never pig out on junk food or fast food. If a person wants to inhale smoke then that's frankly their choice. Alcohol might not affect your lungs but it sure makes some people stupid and dangerous to OTHERS, yet it's legal.

I drink alcohol like once in a month or so but I have made a promise (to myself) never to smoke anything... Once I watched a medical show in which they showed how the lungs go completely black if you smoke such stuff. It really scared me.
  • edited July 2010

Edit - ok, you have to be trolling.

um. I'm sorry. did I say something wrong? :(
    edited July 2010
    alcohol is far more dangerous than weed.

I can understand how you would want to advise people to stay away from drugs, but as a Buddhist, how can you possibly justify locking someone up in a cage for using a drug?

But its much worse than that, it goes on a permanent record, and if its a felony in the states you are blacklisted from many jobs, blacklisted from renting many apartments, prevented from voting, and cannot receive government support for education.

For a long period of time I used marijuana to cope with stress. I would smoke it about 20 times a day, every day. During this period I went to college, graduated with a 3.5 GPA in biochemistry, got a job where I worked in a lab doing complex biological experiments, published a scientific paper, and then went to graduate school, where my use became more casual, using only a few times a month.

Contrary to what you would expect from popular opinion, my use of marijuana enabled me to perform to a higher level than I could otherwise, because it helped me deal with debilitating stress.

If I had been using alcohol with that frequency I would surely have done damage to my liver, stomach, brain, possibly other organ systems and most likely would have become physically addicted to the drug. Instead I chose to use a non toxic, non addictive substance without as many side effects (slurred speech, loss of motor control, poor judgment...) as alcohol. For that choice you would put me in a cage, prevent me from furthering my education, and blacklist me from jobs and apartments.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    alcohol is far more dangerous than weed.
    Neither substance is 'dangerous' per se. It's how it is used - or abused - that counts. people have varying degrees of tolerance levels. One drink might not even show up on one person's radar, but it might put another person under the table. it's the unpredictable, invisible effects that are the concern.
    I can understand how you would want to advise people to stay away from drugs, but as a Buddhist, how can you possibly justify locking someone up in a cage for using a drug?
    You'll have to ask those who create and implement the laws, that.
    But its much worse than that, it goes on a permanent record, and if its a felony in the states you are blacklisted from many jobs, blacklisted from renting many apartments, prevented from voting, and cannot receive government support for education.
    Tough. If you can't take the punishment, don't do the crime. The law is quite clear. You choose to flout it - then be prepared to accept - and pay - the consequences.
    For a long period of time I used marijuana to cope with stress. I would smoke it about 20 times a day, every day. During this period I went to college, graduated with a 3.5 GPA in biochemistry, got a job where I worked in a lab doing complex biological experiments, published a scientific paper, and then went to graduate school, where my use became more casual, using only a few times a month.
    I wonder how much different your stress levels would have been if you'd used a certified, legal drug, or even, used meditation and stress-relieving methods?
    Contrary to what you would expect from popular opinion, my use of marijuana enabled me to perform to a higher level than I could otherwise, because it helped me deal with debilitating stress.
    Great.
    well done.
    Congratulations.
    Well worth risking your education and further career for.
    Glad it worked.
    For You.

I know somebody who did the same as you.
    In fact, he smoked less.
    he has permanent brain damage and is unable to work, now.
    He's a nervous wreck, behaves inappropriately and has therefore wasted three good years of University education.
    If I had been using alcohol with that frequency I would surely have done damage to my liver, stomach, brain, possibly other organ systems and most likely would have become physically addicted to the drug.
    Yes, I couldn't agree more.
    Instead I chose to use a non toxic, non addictive substance without as many side effects (slurred speech, loss of motor control, poor judgment...) as alcohol. For that choice you would put me in a cage, prevent me from furthering my education, and blacklist me from jobs and apartments.
    It's not non-toxic, it is addictive and it does have side effects. And, oh - it's Illegal.
    so none of your arguments wash in the slightest.

coupled with the fact that the Fifth precept advises us to abstain - what exactly is your point??
  • edited July 2010
    I think it should be legalised. I've never hallucinated from it. Well not in the sense that i've seen something or someone in front of me. Maybe the walls and windows moved around a bit lol.

I've also had some powerful meditations from it, and contempaltive meditation is amazing, the ideas that come forth are truly wonderful.

A technique of mine is to smoke a spliff, do breathing meditation, focusing on the breath around the Hara and when i'm deep enough i'll think of a subject i.e. consciouness, what is consciouness, conciousness must be intelligent so does that mean it's alive. If so is the Universe conscious, if it is that must mean it must also be alive etc. If an intrusive thought comes in which is far less frequent than breathing meditation because you're already thinking, just pull your attention back to the subject your contempalting.

Not that you can't do this without cannabis but it's as if you're beliefs are more open to change, because you're more willing to let them go.
    edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Neither substance is 'dangerous' per se. It's how it is used - or abused - that counts. people have varying degrees of tolerance levels. One drink might not even show up on one person's radar, but it might put another person under the table. it's the unpredictable, invisible effects that are the concern.

You'll have to ask those who create and implement the laws, that.

You misunderstand, I am speaking to anyone in this thread who supports drugs being illegal. If you support prohibition, then you support locking people in cages for doing something you don't agree with.

Tough. If you can't take the punishment, don't do the crime. The law is quite clear. You choose to flout it - then be prepared to accept - and pay - the consequences.
    I'm not whining about drug laws, I am challenging any individual in this thread who supports drug laws.
    I wonder how much different your stress levels would have been if you'd used a certified, legal drug, or even, used meditation and stress-relieving methods?
    If I had to do it again I would use marijuana, I know that it works and I can't be certain of the others. Maybe they would work, maybe they wouldn't.
    Great.
    well done.
    Congratulations.
    Well worth risking your education and further career for.
    Glad it worked.
    For You.
    Am I detecting a little cynicism? :lol:
    I know somebody who did the same as you.
    In fact, he smoked less.
    he has permanent brain damage and is unable to work, now.
    He's a nervous wreck, behaves inappropriately and has therefore wasted three good years of University education.
    Coincidence does not link cause and effect. I know this example you brought up fits with your expectations, but if you look at the large scale studies, there is little to suggest that cannabis causes mental illness, however there are studies which show that mental illness is a strong predictor of drug use. And when you look at countries with greatly varying rates of cannabis use, they have similar incidences of mental illness.

It's not non-toxic, it is addictive and it does have side effects. And, oh - it's Illegal.
    so none of your arguments wash in the slightest.
    In the slightest eh? You never give an inch do you :o .We should be careful in fully describing what we are talking about.

When I say non toxic I am referring to two things.

1. It is virtually impossible to die from cannabis overdose. Unlike aspirin or alcohol or even water, cannabis will not kill you no matter how much you take.

2. Is not directly toxic to cells. The metabolism of alcohol forms acetaldehyde, a chemical similar to formaldehyde, which is toxic to every cell in your body. This is what kills your liver cells, and probably what shrinks your brain. In addition alcohol is iritating to the lining of the stomach and causes ulcers.

It may be possible that through a cascade of cell signaling cannibis causes the indirect death of cells or rewiring of synapses, but exactly what happens, if anything, is not known.

Studies of people who use cannabis exclusively, at extremely high frequency for many years have shown that there may be a slight cognitive decline, however this is not certain, and many of those studies the participants do not abstain for at least a month before the study. All studies I've read where participants abstained for at least a month ( the timeframe it takes THC to leave the body) show no decline compared to controls. I should emphasize that the decline is very slight - it does not make a smart person average or an average person dumb.

Now when we talk about addiction there are many definitions. One common distinction is physical vs. psychological addiction. Cannabis has not been shown to have the same physical dependancy as heroin or cocaine or alcohol or nicotine. It may be the subject of a psychological dependancy, but as a Buddhist surely you are aware that people form all kinds of addicitons, to fatty food or sweet food or the television or to snow boarding or message boards. It seems quite clear that psychological addiction can happen to any rewarding stimulus, but that doesn't mean we should make all rewarding stimuli illegal does it?

As for side effects, I believe you misunderstand me. For me in the way I use it, it has far less side effects than alcohol.
    coupled with the fact that the Fifth precept advises us to abstain - what exactly is your point??
    Well I'm not someone who just blindly follows something in a dusty book, but I'll humor you:
    <dl><dt>Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami</dt><dd>I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.</dd></dl>

In my experience cannabis does not lead to carelessness.

My main point is that if you support drug prohibition, you support locking people in cages because they engage in activity you do not agree with. I think this is an important point, because people often ignore the consequences of their positions. It seems many people just think something like, "drugs are bad, they should be illegal", and the thought process stops there without regard to what it means.

Illegality is not some abstract idea, it is the locking of people in cages, taking away their rights, and disrupting their families.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Smoking pot and practicing this...

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119005&postcount=1

..is incompatible. Whatever you think of drug use is your business, but if you think you can continue and practice the Dharma you are deluding yourself.
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure. I smoke it in a completely different way these days. I know what you are saying about it escape, and I know that this is a common way to use it, and and the common way it is understood to be used.

However what if perturbing the mind reveals what the mind is doing? Above I gave an example of anxiety and pot and how I learned a bit about that anxiety. The other day I had something else happen.

There was a subject, a thought that spontaneously appeared in my mind. It was painful. The pot changed me in such a way that I saw something I've never seen before: the thought was painful because it forced me to become aware of a sinking feeling in my chest.

This wasn't a conclusion but a direct observation. It was sudden and the importance of it was immediate. I let out a gasp, my wife asked me what was wrong, "I just need to focus", I said. I sat there for a half hour contemplating the meaning of this experience, which was almost exactly what you conveyed in your post. This heart feeling in the center of the chest might just be one aspect of discomfort, and I have read about it, but have never seen that reflex before (its very quick).

I have not smoked pot since, but since then I have been paying attention to that feeling. It seems anything related to my perceived inadequacies brings about this sinking feeling in my chest, and it is this feeling, not the inadequacy, that I resist.

Pot often causes me to look at things that are uncomfortable. I think this is common and why people experience paranoia. One consequence of my admittedly extreme use of pot in the past is a skill in letting go, letting it be, not reacting to pain with more pain (i think this is what they mean when they say 'pain of pain').
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I hear where you are coming from, and used drugs for many years. These drugs produced some great experiences, but in the end there was an emotional and psychological dependence on fascination, and on things being fascinating. This block could not be seen.

Things are precisely how they present. That's that. It took years to clear the effect of drug induced distortion from practice, along with other effects.

This is my experience anyway, it is also the clear instruction of every teacher I've ever known without exception. I'm not judging, given my past it would be hypocritical.
    edited July 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    if you think you can continue and practice the Dharma you are deluding yourself.

Yup. I got into daily meditation around the same time I was using it everyday. But immediately decided to stop for like 3 days because it was a precept.

I 'realized' pretty bluntly it's no good for Dhamma practice. I decided take a week off the pot, focus on meditation and tried to balance. I think the best thing for me to do is just stop because Dhamma is just better.

naaaaaaaaaaaw mean?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Simplify, my agreement or otherwise is irrelevant.
    I know cannabis can and should be prescribed for certain conditions, and in certain conditions it alleviates discomfort and is a legitimate substance.
    Whether I agree with people "being locked in cages" or not, is not the point.
    we live in a society where possession of this drug for either personal use or for selling on, is illegal.
    Addressing those who create the laws for whatever reason, should be the focus, not targeting people's opinions, when something is already established and in place that seems to corroborate their views.
    we can do jackshoot about it.

Could I also add at this point that the laws governing written content on public forums is also fairly clear:
    Forum Administration and Moderation cannot be seen to be advocating, condoning or supporting the perpetration or intended perpetration of an illegal activity, through either contribution or permission to post such opinions.

In brief, anybody being seen to promote or advocate the taking of cannabis - or indeed, any other illegal substance - has to be asked/prevented to desist from doing so, or will be made to leave. To my regret, it has happened already.

Now, I'm not suggesting you have done that.
    But as you still partake, and obviously object to the incarceration of people who use such drugs, I'm merely advising you of the consequences of such a move.
    That's all.

Thanks. :)
  • edited July 2010
    I think its also worth noting that we've now reached post #292 on this subject.....

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Could I also add at this point that the laws governing written content on public forums is also fairly clear:
    Forum Administration and Moderation cannot be seen to be advocating, condoning or supporting the perpetration or intended perpetration of an illegal activity, through either contribution or permission to post such opinions.

I've never heard of that law, that's scary :( Wait, is it a law or is it part of the TOS for use of this particular model of forum (vBulletins or whatever)?

What about freedom of speech?
  • edited July 2010

There has to be a law to counter that. Sorry i'm not up do date with U.S. law
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    listen folks!!!!!!!!

Alfa the Robot has spoken about this matter in his infinite wisdom!

http://www.ep.tc/problems/ten/
    edited July 2010
    oke more serieus now :)

i'm personally not in favour of drugs in any form (legal, grey, illegal) because of the fifth precept. I have come to understand from personal experience (using and seeing other people use for a long period of time) that the karmatic impact of using toxic substances can be very very big and very very negative.

legalsing booze, sigarettes and prescription meds didn't REALLY work out either. Sure it helps stabalizing things, but it's no cure. In fact, it is now common good to use the three drugs mentioned. I just don't want another drug added to this list.

Over here in the Netherlands its not really legal, more grey, but still we have coffeeshops and stuff. It's not really working out.
    edited July 2010
    have you been addicted to it?? I am stressing on the point because I have seen the people who couldn't give it up and were miserable because of it.

I was one of these persons....I have a lot of willpower in life...truely a lot,
    but not when it comes to cannabis...i used to be a true addict.

The high will turn over into (mild) depression, sooner or later it will, and then comes the apathy.
    edited July 2010

a long term habit of regular weed smoking does...you just stop caring...about everything......based upon my experience that is....

i'm not taking about a 1 joint a week habit....im talking about smoking several joints a day....each day...
    edited July 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    I've never heard of that law, that's scary :( Wait, is it a law or is it part of the TOS for use of this particular model of forum (vBulletins or whatever)?

What about freedom of speech?

There are countless references on the Internet concerning these matters. Such laws also govern things like child pornography, and terrorism. Google it.

Free speech has little to do with freedom from responsibility.
    edited July 2010
    MIG1 wrote: »
    There has to be a law to counter that. Sorry i'm not up do date with U.S. law
    That's a moot point, actually. It's not about US Law, It's an Internatuional Governance.

However:
    One important player in Internet governance is the Internet Corporation for Assigning Names and Numbers (ICANN), which provides domain names [define]. Currently, the USA oversees this very important body, which many other governments find to be problematic.

From here:

Whatever the legal Implications may be, whatever we may agree with or disagree with, is not the issue here, really.
    The question is whether Cannabis (marijunana) should be legalised.

The fact is, it isn't or hasn't been.

Therefore, advocating or promoting the use of a classified illegal drug for recreational use, especially on a Buddhist forum, really is neither appropriate, nor skilful. And if you're a ptacticisng Buddhist, and you are using cannabis/marijuana for recreational purposes, there is something written which states that really you should refrain from doing so.

That's it, in a nutshell.
    I really think we're done here.

Unless someone has something truly earth-shatteringly new or ground-breaking to add - that hasn't been addressed already -it would be timely and appropriate to call it a day.
This discussion has been closed.