Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should Cannabis (marijuana) be legalized?

Comments

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    This is interesting. Why do you believe it will be legalized next year? What does it mean for it to be legalized in a single state, when the statutes against are federal?

CA is a very liberal state for the most part. The vote for legalization of marijuana will be in the November ballot this year. For most of us here in CA it's not a big deal, because well the drug cartels in Mexico are a big deal. And anything that can make them weaker is better. Also CA will benefit economically when it's legal here.
  • edited April 2010
    I live in Holland and would like to know if it`s a "clear" system you`re voting for or a clouded system as we have here.I live in Holland,very near to Amsterdam,and here it`s legal to buy it,it`s legal to sell(up to a certain ammount)it but it`s illegal to grow it(Above a few plants).This creates a lot of questions and I would love to know how the supply of the "shops" is arranged,if yes is voted.Or will it be supplied through drugstores or special "outlets"? Over here it`s still in the hands of "criminals".

Forgive my English,greetings;Eric.:)
  • edited April 2010
    LOL!!! I had to reread this thread title because I thought you were asking if CANNIBALS should be legalized!!!

Thank you for making me laugh in an otherwise trying day!
  • edited April 2010
    It's ironic that this thread should be the subject of my first post in this forum. All I will say, as an ex long-term smoker, is that cannabis can mess with your head and can lead you into trouble (like prison - not for smoking it but for my actions as a result of a messed up head!). That's why I turned to Buddhism.

Regards,
    Malcolm
  • edited May 2010
    Keyword in that sentence: CAN

Smoking cannabis CAN mess with your head. Does not mean it WILL affect all people that way.
  • edited May 2010
    I believe that if you mess with chemicals in your head it will ALLWAYS change something.The weed we have in Holland contains up to 18% THC (4-5% is "normal" in a outdoor grown plant).I have used a lot of drugs and I`m no "it`s all bad crusader".What MY experience is is that I allways thought;When I stop it will all go back to "normal",this is not the case ! THC can stay in your body fats and your brain membrain for longer than 12 months.I still smoke sensemillia because it`s the only way my mind gets a bit of rest.But I do use a lot less now.When I smoked a lot the will to do things got less and less.
    I know that if I had smoked a lot less in the past I would have had a lot less problems in my life ! Everybody must find for themselves the how and the what of cannabis but just watch out,a lot of people realize too late they have gone to far !
    I wish you all the best;Eric.:)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think these guys have a very interesting perspective on the situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayaGk0TMDc

They don't question if drugs are "bad" or not because they obviously can and do cause many problems for people. What they question is whether or not having them be illegal actually helps the situation or not.
  • edited June 2010
    i say legalize it:

1: the stuff on the streets is tainted, crack, random poison, etc in it, and kids can and will get it. at least when its legalized, itll help reduce gang problems(possibly) and will help get safe stuff on the market. revenue is gained. people WILL smoke pot, but i say we should let them do it without making them criminals. they do nothing wrong by simply smoking pot, pot cannot overdose a person unlike alcohol, why keep it suppressed when we allow tabaco and alcohol?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited June 2010
    The kids can and will get it becos their social circle, friend, teacher, their parents failed to exercise loving kindness and caringly showing them the bright side of life. Most importantly, this drug addict can join in the meditation practice, gradually they will indulge in loving kindness. But then, it is their heavy karma that prevent them from embracing loving kindness beauty, it may be next life or life after next for them :)
    Om Mani Padme Hum.
  • edited June 2010
    sambodhi wrote: »
    We all know why pot smokers want the devil's cabbage legalized... But what about nonsmokers? Even my parents who are uptight conservatives are starting to recognize and accept that marijuana may in fact be a legitimate source of tax revenue.

Thoughts?

I personally feel that the excuse "Legalizing marijuana and/or all drugs will send kids the message that drugs are okay to use" is a scapegoat and a poor excuse for uninvolved parents. If you think that your kid would suddenly go out and buy heroin if it were legal, then that reflects on your parenting techniques! You should be instilling these morals in your children, regardless of whether or not drugs are legal or illegal.

true. I'm against it.. If it is legalized it would be more readily available. and that isn't good.
  • edited June 2010
    bella wrote: »
    i say legalize it:

1: the stuff on the streets is tainted, crack, random poison, etc in it, and kids can and will get it. at least when its legalized, itll help reduce gang problems(possibly) and will help get safe stuff on the market. revenue is gained. people WILL smoke pot, but i say we should let them do it without making them criminals. they do nothing wrong by simply smoking pot, pot cannot overdose a person unlike alcohol, why keep it suppressed when we allow tabaco and alcohol?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

it's a drug for goodness sake.
  • edited June 2010
    Well since this topic has been revived by a few, I'll throw in my two cents.
    seeker242 wrote: »
    I think these guys have a very interesting perspective on the situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayaGk0TMDc

They don't question if drugs are "bad" or not because they obviously can and do cause many problems for people. What they question is whether or not having them be illegal actually helps the situation or not.

IMHO, this is the only perspective that should really have a seat in this debate. Now, let me provide that with a few disclaimers. First, I have not watched this video yet, so I'm not endorsing whatever conclusion the people in this video have arrived at. Nor am I saying that there is only room for one position on this matter. It is simply a matter of perspective.

The perspective that currently dominates the debate, along with the vast majority of controversial topics (abortion, immigration, etc.) is the perspective of personal influence. These debates rage around the subject of how these certain policies will affect individuals. For example, the illegal drug debate is often populated by either the "drugs are bad so we should make them illegal so people won't harm themselves by using them" camp or the "it's my choice, so let me do what I want" camp. It's easy to draw a parallel from this perspective to the healthy food debate, where many propose banning or limiting of unhealthy foods to influence people to make better choices.

However, deciding which personal freedoms (detrimental to the individual or not) are allowable is not the role of government at all.

In my high school economics class, I learned that if a policy decreases the net cost to society (or by the same straw, increases the net benefit to society), then it should be implemented. The common example we were given is of a chemical plant that dumps byproducts into a local community's river and/or water supply. Because the cost on the community of this practice was so high, it made economic sense to spend the community's tax money to clean up the waters and impose legislation on the chemical plant to stop them from dumping in this place.

Thus, the role of government, put most simply, is to decrease the net cost to society (its citizens) as much as possible. Whether or not illicit drugs are harmful to the individual really shouldn't be part of the conversation; it's not up to the government to decide. The perspective should be an economic, unbiased one; not an Orwellian, Big Brother perspective.
  • edited June 2010
    Building upon what I've said above, and that the information I have been exposed to has shown that keeping drugs (at least for the 'softer' variety) illegal actually creates a greater burden on society, most drugs should be legalized. Now, let me elaborate with a few talking points:

• Violent drug cartels and gangs
      • What one factor keeps these cartels and gangs in business? The illegality of their product.
      • If people could purchase marijuana or cocaine from their local pharmacy, do you think they would bother going to the dangerous and expensive lengths to get the possibly impure stuff from a private dealer?
      • Post-legalization, most of the non-directly-drug-related crime that the cartels and gangs are involved in - kidnapping, murder, robbery, money laundering, etc. - would likely subside instantly.

• Addicts
      • Apart from the cartels and gangs, addicts impose the second greatest drug-related burden on society.
      • An addict doesn't form in the coffee shops of Amsterdam. An addict forms from the personal, secluded, uninhibited use that no laws could be imposed to prevent. When people are forced into doing something apart from the rest of society (in this case, for fear of imprisonment), it tends to develop into a bad, addictive habit. Problem gamblers and drinkers who become ashamed of their habit can so easily sink into a fully destructive lifestyle because it was done out of the public eye. This is exactly how addicts form; in dark alleys and small, poorly lit rooms inhabited by shady personalities.
      • Many people are unequivocally drawn to the forbidden and unknown (e.g., Adam and Eve and the Forbidden Fruit, "curiosity killed the cat"). Legalize and the forbidden atmosphere is eliminated. This is not to say that legalization will eliminate the formation of all addicts, but I believe the numbers will decline significantly, and additionally, those affected will often be less afraid to seek out help for their addiction.
      • And something to think about; statistics show that Amsterdam's citizens actually use less marijuana than British citizens. That should be enough evidence in itself.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    it's a drug for goodness sake.
    Lol. What exactly does that mean, Davey? Is McDonald's? Alcohol? Heart medication? Cigarettes? Advertising? Internet forums?
    If it is legalized it would be more readily available. and that isn't good.
    The majority of middle school children walk around with it. I don't think it can get more readily available.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited June 2010
    1. People who want to get high, get high regardless of laws. They are ineffective in preventing use.
    If heroin or marijuana was legalized tomorrow, would you become a user?
    Every weekend facebook is filled with new pictures of drunk under-age teens.
    My point: Laws are irrelevant to peoples choices to use a substance or not.

2. Current laws put control and profits into the hands of organized crime, and cost taxpayers financing a losing strategy.
    This is pretty easy.
    The current strategy is not stopping drug use.
    Users = unaffected
    It puts police in harms way more often in a costly battle they cannot win.
    Police and taxpayers = losers
    The current system gives organized crime a monopoly over what is guaranteed to be a very profitable industry.
    Organized crime = BIG BIG winners.

3. Big brother should not be telling us what we can consume, but that does not mean we should not be held responsible for our actions...on drugs or not.
    I am allowed to use a cell phone, but if I run over a kid because I was texting while driving I am still responsible. It doesn't mean cell phones should be banned. If someone causes harm to someone else they should be held responsible regardless of substance use or abuse.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It doesn't matter if it is illegal or legal, just don't be foolish enough to smoke the stuff. And if you are already a smoker, then wise up. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Lol. What exactly does that mean, Davey? Is McDonald's? Alcohol? Heart medication? Cigarettes? Advertising? Internet forums?

The majority of middle school children walk around with it. I don't think it can get more readily available.

there is a difference between using the word drug.... in some countries it is used as medicine and in other countries it is referred to as coke etc.
    so by drug I meant these kind of illegal stuff.

--- When this stuff is illegal.... kids know they are doing something that isn't right and they might be feeling [hopefully] a little bit guilty but if it is legal they would be eating it like chocolates.
  • edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it is illegal or legal, just don't be foolish enough to smoke the stuff. And if you are already a smoker, then wise up. :)

great advice but if a person is addicted to the stuff.... it's really hard to wise up.
  • edited June 2010
    if it was legalized Government would earn big time... but should it do it... I think NO.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    great advice but if a person is addicted to the stuff.... it's really hard to wise up.

True, I have been addicted and it is hard. But if you really want to quit you can. Its just a matter of seeing that the dangers outweigh the presumed "advantages" of being high. Thinking in an objective way like this is not easy to do for weed smokers, and even if they are capable of being honest with themselves about the long term disadvantages of staying high they will need a strong sense of resolve when the cravings kick in. If they stay strong eventually the cravings stop coming. It can be done, I am living proof.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    there is a difference between using the word drug.... in some countries it is used as medicine and in other countries it is referred to as coke etc.
    so by drug I meant these kind of illegal stuff.

Again, I ask what specifically makes it a drug compared to those other things. That it's illegal? Ok, so make it legal and it's no longer a drug? Can you give me some other criteria please?

And coke? Coke isn't anywhere near comparable to weed...
    --- When this stuff is illegal.... kids know they are doing something that isn't right and they might be feeling [hopefully] a little bit guilty but if it is legal they would be eating it like chocolates.

Ok, so kids do it BECAUSE it's illegal, so making it legal would make them do it 100x more? You're not making any sense.

And give kids a little more credit. They aren't mindless little puppets who do it just because "ooo something bad!"
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Making it legal, doesn't mean making it legal for children... Alcohol and cigarettes are legal...

Those kids who are to young to drink and smoke tobacco still find ways to get it as do those wanting pot...

The only problem the government has with making it legal is they haven't figured out yet how to justifiably legalize it but legally crack down on those who grow their own... The government hates competition... Pot isn't like booze... home stills exist legally but they are no comparison to what you can buy... and its not like tobbaco that our climate doesn't really allow it to be grown out of doors... Any joe blow could grow their own pot plants in the back yard and what does the government gain from that...

At least with it being illegal the government still gets money from fines they can issue out... there will always be plenty of money in that...

BTW... I don't smoke or smoke up... never have... never will... but really pot's no different than booze and cigs... all addictive... all mind altering... 2 out of three are currently profitable to the government... when they can figure out how to make pot government profitable without seeming like hypocrites you'll see legal pot...
  • edited July 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    True, I have been addicted and it is hard. But if you really want to quit you can. Its just a matter of seeing that the dangers outweigh the presumed "advantages" of being high. Thinking in an objective way like this is not easy to do for weed smokers, and even if they are capable of being honest with themselves about the long term disadvantages of staying high they will need a strong sense of resolve when the cravings kick in. If they stay strong eventually the cravings stop coming. It can be done, I am living proof.

i know some people who are addicted to it, they want to stop but can't and it's really sad to watch them :( not everyone has strong resolve like you have. BTW. congratulation... you got out of your addiction.
  • edited July 2010
    Again, I ask what specifically makes it a drug compared to those other things. That it's illegal? Ok, so make it legal and it's no longer a drug? Can you give me some other criteria please?

And coke? Coke isn't anywhere near comparable to weed...

Ok, so kids do it BECAUSE it's illegal, so making it legal would make them do it 100x more? You're not making any sense.

And give kids a little more credit. They aren't mindless little puppets who do it just because "ooo something bad!"

the think being bad for health, addictive and something that makes you act like mad etc.

not 100x more buddy. If something is not available and I want it, I'll get it with difficulty, and because of the difficulty and unavailability I'd get it less. but if it is more readily available without any problems I would increase my intake/ use.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    <object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7FshBjkS6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
    The country of Portugal is involved in a very interesting experiment regarding illegal drugs. The entire country decriminalized ALL drug use in 2001. There is no such thing as illegal drug use in Portugal anymore. The BBC did a little spot on it. They found that after Portugal decriminalized ALL drug use in 2001, even hard drugs like heroin and cocaine, drug use has gone down instead of up. Interesting experiment going on there and the nightmare of increased drug use that some people predicted, simply never happened.
  • edited July 2010
    Just my opinion for this discussion.
    In fact it is the role of the government to take care of their citizen who may have lack of the harmful effect on "illegal" drug. And it is also in line with the economic policy that increases the net benefit to the society. As for the cartels and gangs in business, the government could prevent this drug from easily available or cut off from your country :) As far as health is concern, education on healthy lifestyle and proper way of mental and physical well beings of your citizens are the fundamental and most crucial to the benefit of your country in long term. Let not look at only your present citizens but also your future generations.
    Om Mani Padme Hum:cool:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The think being bad for health, addictive and something that makes you act like mad etc.

Firstly it rarely makes people "mad." Now again I ask how it's any different from the other things I mentioned based on the criteria you gave.
    not 100x more buddy. If something is not available and I want it, I'll get it with difficulty, and because of the difficulty and unavailability I'd get it less. but if it is more readily available without any problems I would increase my intake/ use.

This just isn't true. Have you ever been to a high school? Getting some is as easy as asking someone if they want to hang out and smoke weed lol. XD
  • edited July 2010
    Firstly it rarely makes people "mad." Now again I ask how it's any different from the other things I mentioned based on the criteria you gave.

This just isn't true. Have you ever been to a high school? Getting some is as easy as asking someone if they want to hang out and smoke weed lol. XD

i did not mean mad in the real sense.... well crazy would be the right word.. and reckless too. and do you agree with me that the stuff which is tagged illegal is not good for health?

btw the high school I went to.... these stuff didn't happen and I haven't still smoked weed or cigarette till now. I do drink though.
  • edited July 2010
    <object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7FshBjkS6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
    The country of Portugal is involved in a very interesting experiment regarding illegal drugs. The entire country decriminalized ALL drug use in 2001. There is no such thing as illegal drug use in Portugal anymore. The BBC did a little spot on it. They found that after Portugal decriminalized ALL drug use in 2001, even hard drugs like heroin and cocaine, drug use has gone down instead of up. Interesting experiment going on there and the nightmare of increased drug use that some people predicted, simply never happened.

this certainly is very interesting but the same can't be true for all the countries.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    They found that after Portugal decriminalized ALL drug use in 2001, even hard drugs like heroin and cocaine, drug use has gone down instead of up. Interesting experiment going on there and the nightmare of increased drug use that some people predicted, simply never happened.

That's interesting. I think all drugs should be legalised everywhere, this would allow regulation and also taxation to pay for people who have problems - and put the criminals out of business. It doesn't make any sense to me that alchohol is legal and cannabis is illegal in many countries, given the vast amount of damage that excessive drinking does.

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    I think all drugs should be legalised everywhere,
    well, pot decriminalization seem to improve the drug problem quite a bit, as seen in the Portugal example.

But some drugs are just too dangerous, and where it is not available (cities or countries where it is not available), there is just no drug problems there.

I live in Toronto, and I see crack addicts every days.

Some of them you see they just started maybe less than a year ago.

Some of them are beautiful young man and woman, you can easily see that they could be happy university students, full of life, full of joy and having fun with their friends etc... but you can already see the devastation from the drug taking place.

Perhaps in the cities already infested by this cancer, if they had other less destructive drugs easily available for cheaper, perhaps the spread of this tragedy could be diminished.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    But some drugs are just too dangerous, and where it is not available (cities or countries where it is not available), there is just no drug problems there.

I live in Toronto, and I see crack addicts every days.

I'm not sure how your second paragraph supports the claim you made in your first. o_O I live an hour from Toronto as AFAIK crack sure as hell isn't legal there. :P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure how your second paragraph supports the claim you made in your first. o_O I live an hour from Toronto as AFAIK crack sure as hell isn't legal there. :P
    My point was that in some countries/cities, crack isn't available (legally or not), and the devastation from this drug isn't there either (if there is no equally devastating substitutes).

And that crack (and some other hard core drugs) should be unavailable if possible everywhere because it is simply too devastating, in response to the comment that was made about decriminalizing all drugs.

And that if it is impossible to make it unavailable where it is already creating so much dammage, i suggested that if other, far less damaging drugs would be available at a lower price, it could potentially be a good way to counter the damage from this particular drug.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited July 2010
    i know some people who are addicted to it, they want to stop but can't and it's really sad to watch them :( not everyone has strong resolve like you have. BTW. congratulation... you got out of your addiction.

If a person really wants to stop they can stop. It's all a matter of having the willpower to overcome the addiction. And pot, especially, is not really an addictive substance. Not like some other drugs. Sure it can be "addictive" in the sense that it can be habit-forming. Anything can be. It is not physiologically addictive however.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Patbb,

I assumed that by "available" you meant "legal." That you don't see crack addicts in a place where crack isn't available legally or illegally is a given. xD People have drug preferences for the experience it gives them as well as become physically and mentally addicted. Cheaper less harmful substitutes just frankly wouldn't do anything.
  • edited July 2010
    federica wrote: »
    It's what people do with the plant that is crazy, not Mother Nature.

You said it all. There's the culture of drug beyond the substances themselves, and that leads to rather insane theories which never seem to equate the obvious fact that there's indeed a very little percentage of people who actually use pot wisely. Drug abusers do not give a shit about knowledge, karma, nirvana, or even whishful thinking. Meaning: no matter how wisely we use them, we ought not to forgett the vast majority doesn't. Therefore making it legal is at the very least, a delusional decision, based on plain solipism.

In my country it is actually easier to sell a gram of coke than a nice hot "croquete" (fried meat roals) at four o'clock in the morning. And I have a feeling it has to do with all the moaning about growing pot on your backyard. It's ineherent. Plain oportunism. The odds are that it is actually a lot more easier for dealers to "upgrade" pot users to more interesting stuff. Anyone who knows drugs, knows that's the way it works. Drug dealers enjoy upgrades. It has nothing to do with Mother Nature. It's just plain business.

october1560
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Drugs.....should be a medical issue, not a legal issue.

I find it almost amusing that some of you feel that some drugs are just too bad to be legalized...as if having them illegal is stopping the abuse of them.

I'll ask again....if Crack is legal tomorrow, would YOU start using?
    I wouldn't. I can tell you with 100% honesty that the legal status of crack has nothing at all to do with my choice to not use. It is pretty obvious it also has little or no impact on the choice of those who do use.
    So the legal status is NOT a deciding factor in abuse.

So if we are having no impact on how many abuse (and obviously we are not) what exactly are we accomplishing by making these drugs illegal?
    In some cases the illegal status makes harm reduction almost impossible. I would bet a great many heroin addicts who die, would not have died if they could obtain the drug knowing the exact dosage and purity, having a clean kit to use in a clean environment, and having counselling available so those who quit and then fall off the wagon do not go back using at the same dosage they did at the height of addiction. (opiate tolerance varies greatly with use. A hard core addict can take dosages that would kill a person with no opiate tolerance, however if an addict develops such a tolerance, and then stops using for a period...even a brief period, opiate tolerance goes down rapidly, and they can easily OD if they return using at the dosage they used before)

Also just to clear it up....we all know drug abuse is not good. This is not a debate about the merits of drug use. It is about finding a pragmatic way to deal with the reality of drugs. I would personally prefer if all intoxicants dissapeared...certainly from a Buddhist perspective, but I am still firmly in favour of legalizing drugs.
  • edited July 2010
    <OBJECT width=480 height=385>
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7FshBjkS6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></OBJECT>
    There is no such thing as illegal drug use in Portugal anymore.

What??? As far as I know, any use of drugs is still illegal in Portugal. Thing is one can choose treatment instead of prison, as far as drug related crimes are concerned (that is, petty theft, possession and the likes, not smuggling drugs, of course). This peace of information is bad. Depenalizing users is not the same as legalizing drugs. There's no such thing as legalized drugs in Portugal. This is bad.

october1560
    edited July 2010
    I know I've argued quite a lot in this thread, but I feel like posting just a bit more. For me what it ultimately boils down to (beyond questions about personal choice and the like) is net benefit vs net harm. Has drug prohibition provided a net benefit to society? I think it's pretty clear by now that the answer is "no", as people who want the drugs still obtain and use them regardless. So has prohibition caused a net harm to society? I think it has. In terms of tax dollars spent in this futile "war", in terms of live needless destroyed, ether in conflict with or between drug cartels, in terms of people imprisoned for fairly victimless crimes, and in terms of addicts having to rely on shady dealers and drugs of unknown potency and in maybe not being able to actively seek help for their addictions out of fear of prosecution and/or societal judgment.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    So has prohibition caused a net harm to society? I think it has. In terms of tax dollars spent in this futile "war", in terms of live needless destroyed, ether in conflict with or between drug cartels, in terms of people imprisoned for fairly victimless crimes, and in terms of addicts having to rely on shady dealers and drugs of unknown potency and in maybe not being able to actively seek help for their addictions out of fear of prosecution and/or societal judgment.

This is a good point. Prohibition just doesn't work. They tried prohibition of alchohol in the States, that was a complete disaster and just made a load of gangsters rich. That's what always happens.

P
  • edited July 2010
    If a person really wants to stop they can stop. It's all a matter of having the willpower to overcome the addiction. And pot, especially, is not really an addictive substance. Not like some other drugs. Sure it can be "addictive" in the sense that it can be habit-forming. Anything can be. It is not physiologically addictive however.

no I didn't say it is impossible... I said it is really hard... someone who very much addicted cannot stop from will power alone... the after effects are very overwhelming for that.
  • edited July 2010
    What??? As far as I know, any use of drugs is still illegal in Portugal. Thing is one can choose treatment instead of prison, as far as drug related crimes are concerned (that is, petty theft, possession and the likes, not smuggling drugs, of course). This peace of information is bad. Depenalizing users is not the same as legalizing drugs. There's no such thing as legalized drugs in Portugal. This is bad.

october1560

so you mean legalized drugs doesn't exist in Portugal?
  • edited July 2010
    so you mean legalized drugs doesn't exist in Portugal?

Comsumption or possession of drugs for consumption (criteria varies on the latter, according to quantities) is considered illicit conduct and punished with a fine or communitary work. Heavy drugs addicts, are confronted with treatment, fined or forced to render community work if they refuse treatment.

All traffic is criminalized and punished with prison. Foreigners smuggling drugs into the country may also be expelled. Same goes for foreigners living and smuggling drugs in the country.

october1560
  • edited July 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    Drugs.....should be a medical issue, not a legal issue.

I find it almost amusing that some of you feel that some drugs are just too bad to be legalized...as if having them illegal is stopping the abuse of them.

I'll ask again....if Crack is legal tomorrow, would YOU start using?
    I wouldn't. I can tell you with 100% honesty that the legal status of crack has nothing at all to do with my choice to not use. It is pretty obvious it also has little or no impact on the choice of those who do use.
    So the legal status is NOT a deciding factor in abuse.

So if we are having no impact on how many abuse (and obviously we are not) what exactly are we accomplishing by making these drugs illegal?
    In some cases the illegal status makes harm reduction almost impossible. I would bet a great many heroin addicts who die, would not have died if they could obtain the drug knowing the exact dosage and purity, having a clean kit to use in a clean environment, and having counselling available so those who quit and then fall off the wagon do not go back using at the same dosage they did at the height of addiction. (opiate tolerance varies greatly with use. A hard core addict can take dosages that would kill a person with no opiate tolerance, however if an addict develops such a tolerance, and then stops using for a period...even a brief period, opiate tolerance goes down rapidly, and they can easily OD if they return using at the dosage they used before)

Also just to clear it up....we all know drug abuse is not good. This is not a debate about the merits of drug use. It is about finding a pragmatic way to deal with the reality of drugs. I would personally prefer if all intoxicants dissapeared...certainly from a Buddhist perspective, but I am still firmly in favour of legalizing drugs.

it is a legal issue because this thing is not being used in hospitals alone.
    edited July 2010
    no I didn't say it is impossible... I said it is really hard... someone who very much addicted cannot stop from will power alone... the after effects are very overwhelming for that.

Willpower alone? Perhaps not. But willpower is key to overcoming addiction. If the person has the will then they will find the means. And without that will then all the means in the world will not make any difference.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    IMHO legalizing marijuana will only just make less people in jail. I'm a pot smoker myself.. personally I'm going to teach my children... basically smoking marijuana regularaly is a problem. Honestly I don't thing there's anything wrong with legalizing it. Then you get into the question of other drugs... Heroin, cocaine... would that make a difference? I don't know.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    "I think these guys have a very interesting perspective on the situation. "

7 years in jail for passing a joint to an undercover cop. Shows you the discusting nature of the rediculous war on drugs.

I'm friends with marijuana dealers personally. And I don't make friends with assholes. The drug war is evil, like many governments.

I have a question that is not important but just can't get out of my mind when I talk about this issue... why? Because drugs are 'bad'? I don't buy it.
  • edited July 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    I would bet a great many heroin addicts who die, would not have died if they could obtain the drug knowing the exact dosage and purity, having a clean kit to use in a clean environment, and having counselling available so those who quit and then fall off the wagon do not go back using at the same dosage they did at the height of addiction.

It's disappointing but in practice, an heroin/cocain/crack addict falling off the wagon is prone to start using in higher quantites than before, even after councelling, not the other way around. That's the naked truth. It would take me a while to explain why. Basically, they use what they've learned upside down. You'd be amazed with their farfetched excuses. Addicts are experts on manipulation and councelling may as well improve their skills... for those who choose to fall of the wagon (repeatedly) of course.

Tolerance depends on the time of use, not on the abstinence period, and does not go down rapidly. It is said people need twice as much time of abstinence to drop it. Good councelling improves their awareness of their compulsive behavior, self-manipulative mechanisms, helping them to stay in contact with their feelings. But serious addiction is tottally insane. There are no logics or quality standarts whatsoever involved. They simply want (need?) to use, no matter what, and the less they pay for it, the better.

Offering addicts the possibility to detox is positive, but legalizing drugs as nothing to do with it. Now there is free councelling available all over the world, "rewarding" use with legal use would only feed the twisted mind of an addict, swamped in self-pity. There are a bunch of recovering addicts working on the field everywhere, for decades now. There's absolutely no excuse for anyone not to try and detox.

Legal use of lethal substances? Why, if it makes no difference, other than feeding their excuses to stay addicted?

Some tolerance for light drugs, OK. Still they make people dumb.

october1560
  • edited July 2010
    Comsumption or possession of drugs for consumption (criteria varies on the latter, according to quantities) is considered illicit conduct and punished with a fine or communitary work. Heavy drugs addicts, are confronted with treatment, fined or forced to render community work if they refuse treatment.

All traffic is criminalized and punished with prison. Foreigners smuggling drugs into the country may also be expelled. Same goes for foreigners living and smuggling drugs in the country.

october1560

cool... there should be such laws everywhere.
  • edited July 2010
    Willpower alone? Perhaps not. But willpower is key to overcoming addiction. If the person has the will then they will find the means. And without that will then all the means in the world will not make any difference.

have you been addicted to it?? I am stressing on the point because I have seen the people who couldn't give it up and were miserable because of it.
This discussion has been closed.