Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

edited February 2010 in Arts & Writings
Hello, anyone else fired up about this film?

Maybe it's not going to be quite as good as Aliens, which is one of the best films ever (and if you disagree you're wrong ) but still, allegedly each second took 48 hours to make... so for a one man/woman team, It would probably take a bazzillion years to make, but my maths is bad anyway, and you get the point about the visuals taking absolutely ages.

I'm not sure if I like the idea about ancient rock triumphing over modern bombs, and also the hero cops off in about 5 minutes of being on a new world, which is pretty good for a legless marine. Apparently a village of blue people is sitting on a source of valuable mineral (a bit like gold except even more useful than that!) so that's why they (space marines) have to go and blow it all up.

On a similar, but entirely unrelated note, I often wondered if there is another species of female in the universe that is even more lovely than our own earthly ones. I think, Cameron and his cronies has done a pretty good job of creating an otherworldly lovely female, and I'm sure all the furries will agree here. I'm also quite pleased with the choice of colour (blue) and the alien people also seem to have the same emotions as we do. Well done!

Well, it should be pretty good. Hopefully no-one even wants to go see this film so I can sit in the cinema on my own, put my feet up, and throw popcorn at the screen.

Comments

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I'll be there... we can throw popcorn at each other. Looking forward to this one... I'm a big Sci-Fi fan. The trailers look awesome!!!

PS: I'd date a blue chick!!! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The trailers really DO look awesome!! I've never seen alien beings look as amazing as that. I can't get them out of my head. The ones with the huge eyes...

I don't know anything at all about the story, it's all brand new to me. But I can't wait to see it. I love sci-fi too. It should be a hell of a romp. I just have to stop thinking about how much good all that money could have done in this world....
  • edited December 2009
    Wow Les, are you coming all the way to England just to throw popcorn at me? But you have to bring Brigid along too...

And yes, these aliens are truly a sight to behold. Maybe it would be like the Romans vs the Celts all over again (If my history knowledge is any good).

Hay, I just worked it out. The film is nearly 3 hours long, so that works out at 53 years to make total! I wonder if I'll need some 3d glasses like in the 80's?

Well, I'm still glad it was made. I'm sure I have enough money to pay the admission AND save the world afterwards. All the better.
  • edited December 2009
    I want to see the movie too! I can't wait for that, and then Mass Effect 2 comes out in January! Today is a good day for science-fiction!! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I'm becoming somewhat obsessed by those blue people with the huge eyes I keep seeing in the ad for the movie. They're so beautiful and so well done they take my breath away.

I'm just dying to see it and I wish I could see it at a theater because it's exactly the kind of movie you need to see on a big screen. But there's no way I can do that because I wouldn't be able to sit that long in a theater seat and the closest cinema to me is more than an hours drive. Oh well. Too bad. I'll just have to wait until it comes out on BlueRay and I'll definitely buy it. It'll be a must have for my collection.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Last night, I went with a group of people to see <i>Avatar</i>. My initial thoughts: only James Cameron can take <i>Pocahontas</i>, throw in a dash of <i>FernGully</i> and a pinch of <i>Dances with Wolves</i>, and turn it into a wicked 3 hour anti-imperialist, pro-environmentalist sci-fi epic.

That's not to say the film's great — Cameron's formula is tired to say the least — but it's still pretty damn good despite its unremarkable plot. Make no mistake, the movie's a visual masterpiece. Cameron takes CG filmmaking to an entirely new level with his revolutionary VFX, which are nothing short of stunning. And believe me, the 3D helps a WHOLE lot.

But sadly, the film falls flat in almost every other area. Don't get me wrong, I love a good old-fashioned action/romance once in a while, but a film as visually groundbreaking as this deserves an equally groundbreaking script. Instead, Cameron appears to have played it safe with cliche after predictable cliche, presumably to make it appealing to as wide of an audience as possible.

And while I appreciate its centre-left politics, I feel Cameron does them a bit of a disservice by disseminating them through simplistic stereotypes that almost ridicule themselves, e.g., idealized natives with, as a my friend once quipped, "a utopic level of peace and harmony with nature and each other," over-the-top American-style imperialism, a greedy corporate exec who cares more about his company's quarterly earnings than his conscience, etc.

Nevertheless, the movie as a whole has such an incredible impact that it mostly makes up for its unoriginal storyline and one-dimensional characters, as does the solid performances by Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington and the rest of the cast. As many faults as this film has, they didn't stop stop me from enjoying it, and that's what I think makes it worth seeing.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I saw "Avatar" last night. Visually stunning I must say. In the parts that are animated, it looks like a completely different world. My partner and friend said the 3D was great, but when you have a lazy eye, it can be hard to detect. The humans going into this world turned into Na'vi was well done. It was very interesting seeing how they did Sigourney Weaver as there will always be a part of me that sees her as Ripley.

As for the story, I was disappointed in the simplicity of it for the length of the film. I have not seen Pocahantas so I can't compare, but I really thought more along the lines of strong female characters. The script was not that engaging to me. I like fantasy/scifi myself, but I expect a bit more out of James Cameron. After "Aliens" and "Terminator 2", you know he can do better. I still hope it's a hit as there are good aspects to it. I would still suggest seeing it and forming your own opinion. There are movies I find brilliant that others think are garbage. Seeing it won't be a waste of time or money!

Can't wait for Legion! Also, has anyone seen 2012 and what you thought of it?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hello, anyone else fired up about this film?

Maybe it's not going to be quite as good as Aliens, which is one of the best films ever (and if you disagree you're wrong ) but still, allegedly each second took 48 hours to make... so for a one man/woman team, It would probably take a bazzillion years to make, but my maths is bad anyway, and you get the point about the visuals taking absolutely ages.

I'm not sure if I like the idea about ancient rock triumphing over modern bombs, and also the hero cops off in about 5 minutes of being on a new world, which is pretty good for a legless marine. Apparently a village of blue people is sitting on a source of valuable mineral (a bit like gold except even more useful than that!) so that's why they (space marines) have to go and blow it all up.

On a similar, but entirely unrelated note, I often wondered if there is another species of female in the universe that is even more lovely than our own earthly ones. I think, Cameron and his cronies has done a pretty good job of creating an otherworldly lovely female, and I'm sure all the furries will agree here. I'm also quite pleased with the choice of colour (blue) and the alien people also seem to have the same emotions as we do. Well done!

Well, it should be pretty good. Hopefully no-one even wants to go see this film so I can sit in the cinema on my own, put my feet up, and throw popcorn at the screen.

Aliens is my all time favorite sci-fi movie. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen it. I usually now wait a few years in between but at one time I watched it every 3 months I was so obsessed with it.
  • edited December 2009
    Comprehensive review Jason, thanks for that.
  • edited December 2009
    planning to watch it this week- will go forewarned not to expect Shakespeare or anything...:cool:
  • edited December 2009
    EDIT

Right, yes, the plot is very simple, Jerbear you are spot on! Jason is correctomundo, how on Earth was it so big without that much happening.

BUT lordy, as a 3D virgin, this film was really eye popping. This is probably more one for the youngersters. Out with all you cynics!

REally, I loved the emotional parts, the action and the lovely speckly blue aliens... But, eh say goodbye to rationality, leave all the decision making on the whim of some vague supernatural entity!

Oh well it's a mindless bimbo of a film, but who will complain when it looks so good?
  • edited December 2009
    Just got back from seeing it.
    Loved it!
    The story line was classic epic. Good vs. Evil. the tree hugging under dogs defeat the evil empire. No surprises. And that is just fine with me.
    The visuals? stunning beyond compare.
  • edited December 2009
    I haven't seen it and I probably won't see it. It looks terrible to me and the plot sounds terribly unoriginal.

I liked this review of it though...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/opinion/21douthat1.html?_r=2&em

He's right. Nature is not something to be worshiped, and the 'native' life is brutish and short very often. I don't think it's any coincidence that the word 'Na'vi' (sp?) is Hebrew for 'prophet.'
  • edited December 2009
    That's not a review- it's a platform for the writer to express and justify his opinions, just as this thread a platform for you to talk about something other than what the title suggests.

So what if the natives have respect- what you call worship- for nature? It's very evident from the outset that this alien world is brutish, hence the spears and bows, no big surprises there, so he's gone off on a big war rant for nothing, because he's totally wrong. But why take the film so seriously? Somehow a family film offends a persons ego because it doesn't engage them intellectually or worse, it insults their proud brain.

At least the author of that article gets paid for being grumpy about stuff
    It looks terrible
    ...If you have no eyes. The visuals are, as diva put it: stunning beyond compare. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Owner,
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Growing up, there were certain family members who had to mention the end of movies before you got the chance to see it. I remember watching the first 5 minutes of the Hitchcock classic "Psycho". Two family members told me the end. Since that point, I let others watch a film and make their own opinion unless I think it's really bad. Since I like quirky films, it has to be really bad before I'll suggest someone not see it.

I do plan to watch it again when it comes to DVD as there are some parts that I would like to review without going to the theater. I hate the cost of tickets and when you add concessions, I can think of better things to do with money. I hate cold stale popcorn. I accidentally got the silly idea in my head that a 20 oz bottle of pop might be $2.00 which is still high. It was $3.75 and if I didn't need something to drink mid movie for meds, I wouldn't have gotten it. I want to start a boycott of concessions in all movie theaters so the quality will improve to what it was when I was a youngster and the price reasonable.

Sorry about my tangent, but again there were some very cool moments about the movie and I'm so glad that you got to see it and make your own opinion.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    One of my favorite science fiction writes responded to it fairly negatively, so I probably won't be seeing it.
  • edited December 2009
    you to talk about something other than what the title suggests.

I'm talking about the movie. If you don't want divergence of opinion on a topic, don't make a thread.
    So what if the natives have respect- what you call worship- for nature? It's very evident from the outset that this alien world is brutish, hence the spears and bows, no big surprises there, so he's gone off on a big war rant for nothing, because he's totally wrong. But why take the film so seriously?

Because it so so obviously and flagrantly a leftist movie. I don't care much about modern movies. Almost all of them have a liberal slant with the exception of Clint Eastwood's occasional movie, but when a movie sets itself up to be very unashamedly anti-military, anti-America, etc, it peaks my interest.

Somehow a family film offends a persons ego because it doesn't engage them intellectually or worse, it insults their proud brain.

That's just it. When so-called 'family films' are so biased in one political direction, it ceases to really be a family film.

I mean just imagine a similar film about a moon called Republica. And on this moon, a small indigenous population has a very limited and decentralized form of government. They arrogantly boast about the 'best healthcare in the galaxy.' But a mean-hearted alien race led by Queen Nancy and King Harry land and try to give free healthcare for all, though at the cost of higher taxes. The population of Republica rebels as soon as lunar death panels come on the scene (which cut costs by killing all the old grandparents on the moon). The rebellion (with the battle cry of 'No Taxation without Representation') defeats the Queen's superior trained army of overpaid public employees and a more representational and limited government is gloriously restored at the end of the movie, with private healthcare intact.

While certainly a potentially entertaining parody, I would never consider it a family film.
    At least the author of that article gets paid for being grumpy about stuff

I was surprised to see it in the New York Times.
    ...If you have no eyes. The visuals are, as diva put it: stunning beyond compare. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Well I'm not all that attracted to animation or CGI or whatever this is. And yes, I will actually be smoking my pipe shortly. ;)
  • edited December 2009
    I saw AVATAR recently and I must say I was both impressed by its visuals and moved by its story.

I love James Cameron's movies, although this smurf-like-looking epic did not really draw my attention all that much.

Whilst the story is predictable in many ways, it's execution is great. Accompanied by great visuals & a suitable soundtrack, there's not all that much to dislike.

It may be a tad superficial in some ways, but a good love story/standing for your beliefs story is always welcome in my book.

Those looking for eye-candy are in for a treat. Well worth seeing !! :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2009
    the plot sounds terribly unoriginal.
    True, but that didn't make it less fun of a movie. The plot was a weak point, but it's allowed a weak point for completely smashing the bar on visuals and scale. The acting was very solid, too. The story was a classic model, but it was still interesting and kept you guessing a little even if you ultimately knew what was coming.
    Because it so so obviously and flagrantly a leftist movie.
    If a bunch of tree-huggin' hippies really bothers you that much, then yes, you shouldn't be enjoying yourself at the movies. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2009
    I enjoyed the film alot given that i was expecting a no bariner movie. The 3D was a new high. The themes being focused on the money drive causing cultural imperialism and the slashing of the natural world seemed clearly based on real world events to an extent. I was nice to not be on the human's side for once- cheering them on as they wasted the evil aliens. I suppose it was highly political as the military were thoughtless bullies- but then again most are not known for their pluralistic sensitivity are they... I liked the segregation of agendas - the capitalists wanted a profit for shareholders, the military wanted a cut and dry control of the planet and the scientists wanted knowledge...the aliens wanted things left alone. A good reflection of the narrow field of vision different groups have.

I would advise you to miss it if you are sensitive about people demonising the military but see it if you like an amazing visual experience you can sink into.:D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Actually, the movie isn't as anti-military as everyone's making it out to be. Not only are two of the main characters Marines (Jake Sully and Trudy Chacon), but the armed force they're working for consists of mercenaries hired by the RDA corporation for security — which is more analogous to the US company Blackwater — not the US military. To be more precise, the movie's theme is more anti-imperialistic than anti-military.
  • edited December 2009
    blueface wrote: »
    but then again most are not known for their pluralistic sensitivity are they...

Well actually, I can't think of a place where race relations are better than in the military. I look around the college cafeteria and tables are generally segregated by race. The blacks tend to sit with blacks and the whites generally sit with whites. Nothing racist about it, just how it is.

In the military, nobody thinks twice about the other guy's race. We just care if you're competent.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm not really one of those people that try to figure out the plot DURING the movie. I mean, Hell... I just spent $10 on a ticket or $10 for a book - I want the author to spoon-feed it to me. I don't get any points for figuring out the plot beforehand. So, with that being said...

I sat through this movie for 2.5 hours and could have easily sat through it for another 2.5 hours. I thought it was fantastic. And all the easy and thinly veiled plot turns - I didn't care. I saw them coming and still enjoyed the crap out of them.

I'm going to go see it again with a buddy of mine.

It rocked.

I loved it.

Did I mention that I loved it?

Not in a sexual-way, mind you.

Although.... no, wait. That was just my popcorn bowl.

--bf
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LOL BF.
    It looks OK...
    I'm writing a book! But is isn't anything like Avatar LOL
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Gawd! I really wanna see this movie!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It's only a movie, Boo. It's only a movie. Just keep repeating: it's only a movie...

Palzang

PS I do too!
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm considering going to see this movie.

But I probably won't.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It's only a movie...it's only a movie...it's only a movie....Hey! Palzang! It worked!

Uhhhhhh...wait...Nope. The desire's back. *sigh*

I'll keep trying...(damn Hollywood and its first rate, high quality entertainment!)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    We saw this a few weeks ago and I assumed a children's fantasy adventure type film wouldn't be my cup-of-tea, even if it is in 3D.

It was fantastic, and the cliché ridden plot didn't spoil the movie at all.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    It's only a movie...it's only a movie...it's only a movie....Hey! Palzang! It worked!

Uhhhhhh...wait...Nope. The desire's back. *sigh*

I'll keep trying...(damn Hollywood and its first rate, high quality entertainment!)
    Sometimes, release of the desire takes a few thousand iterations. :)
    edited January 2010
    It is only a movie... :-/
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    We saw this a few weeks ago and I assumed a children's fantasy adventure type film wouldn't be my cup-of-tea, even if it is in 3D.

We were all children once; there are many great fantasy films that are suitable for both children and adults. Take the Lion King, as an example or Ice Age. Personally I find it bizarre that adult is synonymous with violence. There's also the implicit assumption that children won't comprehend violence, and that something is only violent if it is graphic. It's merely candy for oversized children. That's what many of us really are, oversized children.

On another note I found this comix review today; have a look everyone...

http://comixed.com/2009/12/18/comics-comic-strip-yonkoma-avatar-summary/

comics-comic-strip-yonkoma-avatar-summary
    edited January 2010
    Sometimes I'm mature and sometimes very silly... hmm, :p
    LOL to the link :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I would have never guessed!

That's a good one, socks.

Palzang
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It was actually so good for me to watch i had painfull withdrawls symptoms when it ended...
    edited January 2010
    LOL
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    It was actually so good for me to watch i had painfull withdrawls symptoms when it ended...

Perhaps you should stick to milder drugs, like Disney or the Care Bears...

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Some Disney's OK but the Care Bears are way to scary :zombie:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Not half as scary as Barney tho...

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Nothing compared to the tellytubies...
  • edited January 2010
    This movie was awesome...with the records it's smashing you can bet the farm on a trilogy.
    edited January 2010
    WOW! I loved ze film :D 3D amazing :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    I loved the movie and 3D really added a lot to it.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I can't wait for LEGION! I hope to be able to afford seeing it somehow as it is one I want to see on a big screen.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Nothing compared to the tellytubies...

It was nothing compared to the HR Pufnstuf!
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Gawd! I really wanna see this movie!!!

I saw it and loved it, faults and all... Boo we could go together... kinda be like a date!!! Hahahaha!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    I can't wait for LEGION! I hope to be able to afford seeing it somehow as it is one I want to see on a big screen.

What's Legion? (OK, I get that it's a movie, but you know what I mean...)

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    GOD (not good orderly direction) gets mad at the earth and sends angels down to get even with us! Not a typical happy film, but sounds really cool!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Les,
    Be careful, I'm Boo's bodyguard! Anything out of line and I will start chanting loudly! Lol!
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    Les,
    Be careful, I'm Boo's bodyguard! Anything out of line and I will start chanting loudly! Lol!

Should I ask your permission first? Kinda like a chaperon in absentia? :lol: