Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Like most movies these days, I probably won't get to see "Avatar" until it comes out on video. A friend of mine has seen it three times and says it's really good.
  • edited January 2010
    I tried not to be moved...

...but was moved...

*repents*
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't know that one Jerbear.

I liked Avator because it was funny, romantic, fantasy, visually spectacular, and an important message too :)
    Love & Peace
    M Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear wrote: »
    It was nothing compared to the HR Pufnstuf!
    HR Pufinstuf!! I can't believe you know it, Jer!! I can't tell you how many times over the years I've mentioned it and people just went, "Huh? Never heard of it." It's such a great memory from my childhood!
    LesC wrote: »
    I saw it and loved it, faults and all... Boo we could go together... kinda be like a date!!! Hahahaha!
    I'll be there with bells on!! I saw more of it during the Golden Globes award ceremony on TV and it freaked me out. I can't wait. I love big, huge movies!
    Les,
    Be careful, I'm Boo's bodyguard! Anything out of line and I will start chanting loudly! Lol!
    Awww! Could you make me love you more?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I hate to admit it, but...I hated HR Pufinstuf! Of course, I was no longer a kid when it came out...

Palzang
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I hate to admit it, but...I hated HR Pufinstuf! Of course, I was no longer a kid when it came out...

Palzang

You're forgiven my son... go, and sin no more!! Hahahaha!! :lol:
    edited January 2010
    Palzang, I don't know what to say, now leave my friend, cry in a corner, cry for forgiveness.
    edited January 2010
    And no, I don't know what it is...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Puf-n-Stuff was a kids show back in the 70s (?) which featured singing and dancing muppet-like characters. I always thought it was lame even for kids, but obviously others had their own opinions!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    The name suggests something ruder... :-/
    POISONED MIND HERE! BE AWARE!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You're sick! :lol: I have no idea what you mean....

I just saw Avatar 3-D. I thought it was great. A whole new experience in the movies. The 3-D was so much better than the old 3-D which didn't look real. This was like actually being there. And the story was good too, the whole web of life and interconnectedness of everything (eternal knot). Go see it, and see it in 3-D if you can.'

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    The name suggests something ruder... :-/
    POISONED MIND HERE! BE AWARE!
    I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking but I always thought Puf-n-Stuff was a veiled reference to smoking weed because of the popular song Puff The Magic Dragon and all that and there was a dragon on H.R. Puf-n-Stuff. And a witch called 'Witchypoo'.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Actually Puff the Magic Dragon had nothing at all to do with smoking weed, Boo. Both the songwriters (Peter Yarrow and Leonard Lipton) and the group that made it popular (Peter, Paul, and Mary) deny that it had anything at all to do with drugs. It was originally written by Lipton in 1959 when he was a student at Cornell and is, according to him, a song about growing up and the loss of innocence. They call the drug story an urban legend and ridicule it. Ditto for HR Puffnstuff.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Oh God, I know even ruder things than adults *faints*
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yes, well, they have places for young'uns like you!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    There's a high security mental hospital not to far from where I live... I'll be able to visit home whenever I escape. You see I'm so mental I don't have a computer but I'm still talking to you..... It's true
    Love & Laughs
    Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Actually Puff the Magic Dragon had nothing at all to do with smoking weed, Boo. Both the songwriters (Peter Yarrow and Leonard Lipton) and the group that made it popular (Peter, Paul, and Mary) deny that it had anything at all to do with drugs. It was originally written by Lipton in 1959 when he was a student at Cornell and is, according to him, a song about growing up and the loss of innocence. They call the drug story an urban legend and ridicule it. Ditto for HR Puffnstuff.

Palzang
    Ooops! Now that you bring it up I do remember reading that somewhere at sometime but I guess the urban legend was so deeply ingrained in my memory it bubbled back to the surface when the subject came up again.

And you know what else is really funny? About ten minutes after I posted that I went offline and I was reading and the thought suddenly occurred to me, "Wait...there was no dragon in H.R. Pufnstuff! It was just a big guy with a big round head and some kind of weird face or something."

I got it all wrong. Memory is so unreliable. And it's only going to get worse...
    Oh God, I know even ruder things than adults *faints*
    Lmao!!

You're so adorable.

I did figure it out after I thought about it for a minute. I just didn't mention it because I didn't want to encourage you...:p
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Puf-n-Stuff was a kids show back in the 70s (?) which featured singing and dancing muppet-like characters. I always thought it was lame even for kids, but obviously others had their own opinions!

Palzang
    It was better than Sigmund and the Sea monsters!

BTW Have seen what Jack Wild looks like now? Time has not been kind.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Is Jack Wilde the cockney guy in PuffnStuff? And was he the Artful Dodger in the musical 'Oliver'?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Sorry. Should have Googled it. (I'm so lazy...)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Bless his heart, he looked like a Hobbit.
    That could have come in handy when Peter Jackson was casting. Too bad Jack was already dead by then. ....Or was he? In any case, the resemblance is incredible!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It was better than Sigmund and the Sea monsters!

BTW Have seen what Jack Wild looks like now? Time has not been kind.
    He died in 2006 so no, time has certainly not been kind, I'm sure. ;)
    edited January 2010
    Aaaaah. He was great in Oliver, the whole cast was, especially Ron Moody as fagin.
    edited January 2010
    Boo, was the rude thing you found out the drug thing or the even ruder thing I'd thought of that under no circumstances should I mention to any respectful adult :om:
    Love & Laughs
    Joe
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was about dropping acid to be honest after I started doing it myself. I looked up the video for "Oranges Poranges" the other day and thought "They had to be high!"
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Boo,
    I'm being lazy now. What did he die of? He was wonderful as the Artful Dodger. I love musicals and have about 20 of them. "Oliver" of course, is one of them.
    edited January 2010
    Oliver's good :)
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was about dropping acid to be honest after I started doing it myself

Doing what ?
  • edited January 2010
    I saw this movie a few weeks ago. I thought it was great, if not a bit predictable.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Doing what ?

acid = LSD (lysergic ACID diethylamide)

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Right... *scary big words*
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Right, never drop scary big words!!! :eek:

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    http://www.avatar-forums.com/general-avatar-forum/43-ways-cope-depression-dream-pandora-being-intangible.html

it may be old news but there are apparently quite a few people struggling to come back to the real world after seeing Avatar. So much so there are forum threads dedicated to this problem...i saw it on BBC morning progs recently too. And to think somein the third world might think anyone with access to a computer was living in paradise. Perhaps the next step is some form of religion - if you live in a tree for 3 consecutive months you get to go to pandora when you die. But seriously... interesting though isn't it.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah... I came to reality as soon as I left the cinema, still a great movie and a great imagination :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    I saw Avatar. It was pretty beautiful to look at-- at least the forest parts were. However, I didn't enjoy the film very much.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Boo, was the rude thing you found out the drug thing or the even ruder thing I'd thought of that under no circumstances should I mention to any respectful adult :om:
    Love & Laughs
    Joe
    The even ruder thing. Now that I've seen it that way I can't believe how obvious it is! Lol!
    Boo,
    I'm being lazy now. What did he die of? He was wonderful as the Artful Dodger. I love musicals and have about 20 of them. "Oliver" of course, is one of them.
    I think he died if lung cancer, if I remember correctly.

Watching 'Oliver' when it came on TV about once a year when I was a kid was a family ritual of ours. That and the magnificent animated version of Oscar Wilde's children's story 'The Selfish Giant'.

Now I'm really off topic....
    edited February 2010
    Cuuuunsideryourself at home. Cuuuuunsideryourself part of the furniture.

weeeeevetakentoyou so strong. Its clear were goingtogetalong.

or somethin like that.
    edited February 2010
    Boo,
    Do you mean the one to do with S
    E----X :o
  • edited February 2010
    blueface wrote: »
    http://www.avatar-forums.com/general-avatar-forum/43-ways-cope-depression-dream-pandora-being-intangible.html

it may be old news but there are apparently quite a few people struggling to come back to the real world after seeing Avatar. So much so there are forum threads dedicated to this problem...
    I hadn't heard about this, but I did have a similar experience myself. After walking out of the theater I was still in a sort of trance like state, and the rest of the evening nothing seemed to give me any joy, much like the feeling I've had after a strong mushroom trip. It's definitely not one of the best movies ever made, but it is most certainly the most intense movie experience available now, especially in 3D in a huge IMAX theater.
    edited February 2010
    I enjoyed my time afterwards. I suppose it's because I don't get to see my dad, his girlfriend, and her two children much, so my father, his girlfriend's son, and I, went to watch Avatar. Then we went back to him girlfriend's house and I had a delicious sunday lunch (and they made a vegetarian one for me :)) T'was a good day :)
    Love & Peace,
    Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Cuuuunsideryourself at home. Cuuuuunsideryourself part of the furniture.

weeeeevetakentoyou so strong. Its clear were goingtogetalong.

or somethin like that.
    Exactly like that! Well done, Richard. Bet you sang it out loud before you posted that....
    Boo,
    Do you mean the one to do with S
    E----X :o
    Oh god. You're so adorable you're killing me. Seriously. You're the sweetest thing in this whole world (except for Francesca...).

Yes. The one to do with S
    E
    X. :o Although if you were trying to be quiet you probably should have used small letters. Lol!!
    edited February 2010
    You have an odd perception of adorable :lol: I'm laughing right now. Actually I thought of two ways that's to do with you-know-what... Oh god, how am I adorable? :D
    The cuuuuunider yourself part of the furniture thing sounded like something a creepy alien says if you say it slowly....
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    P.S. Who's this Francesca of which you speak? :wtf:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Francesca! My sister's calico kitten? Didn't I tell you about her?
    edited February 2010
    Nope :wtf: Have you got a picture? :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Omg! I can't believe I didn't mention her here!

I've seen thousands of pictures of kittens and lots of live ones and I've never, ever, seen a kitten as cute as Francesca. She's a little calico....well, she's not so little anymore. I'm talking around November. She was this tiny, bright-eyed, super intelligent, spring-loaded, fuzzy, fuzzball of unbearable cuteness that I've never come across in my whole life. Her head was round and her little body was round so she looked like two little round fuzzballs with a pair of ears and a tail attached.

I have this great memory of her sitting on my lap looking up at me in anticipation. Of what, I don't know. She was excited about everything. So smart. I'd play this little game with her where I'd pretend my hand was a creature under the blanket and I'd 'sneak' up on her and when I made a sudden movement she flew a foot and a half straight up in the air like she had springs on her feet! It was freaking hilarious! I would laugh and laugh.

I'll have to ask my sister for a pic. I'm kinda sad I didn't get the chance to see more of her when she was little because she's getting older and bigger now. Oh well. Impermanence.
  • edited February 2010
    The second part of piece 102 (On duality for demons as only “beings”) is devoted to the “bad”, after all 102 does represent duality.
    We cannot only speak of the “good”; we must speak also of the “bad”; the “bad” are indispensable to chose to be “good”: how would we be able to say we were good if they weren’t around too?
    We need a touchstone then we can assert: “if these are bad then the others are good”.
    I have already explained several times that the intentions of the ego, of loving identities, of good resolutions, of wanting to do, are all very interesting but it is also necessary to discover our “non-being”.
    After all, somebody must pull the strings of the “avatar puppet”…
    What will your Avatar be?
    The Intellect, The Soul and the Spirit: this is the Avatar that moves the “puppet”, those puppets that act in life and are concerned with their trivial “things”.
    The “puppet” is physical, sensations, astral, hormones and mind.
    What drives the “puppet”? The wind as it blows.
    The “puppet” is moved by the wind; it is moved by all the natural elements around us.
    Thank you for having been active, even reading hundreds of Useless Words, some in one direction, some in another, some in one way, some in another…. Driven by events, life, problems, fears, the little things that take our fancy and move the more “corpulent”, more concrete being: the “puppet” you are all dealing with.
    It’s the puppet who’s been participating so far.
    In many of you there have been “flickers of Avatar”, of the One inside.
    We say Avatar now because it’s the title of a film (1), in the future we’ll say something different.
    On some occasions we have also spoken of this as “intellect” (one part), or “entanglement”, defining it in a rather technical manner (sub-nuclear physics) ...

http://www.uselesswords.org/contStd.asp?lang=en&idPag=544
  • edited February 2010
    The second part of piece 102 (On duality for demons as only “beings”) is devoted to the “bad”, after all 102 does represent duality.
    We cannot only speak of the “good”; we must speak also of the “bad”; the “bad” are indispensable to chose to be “good”: how would we be able to say we were good if they weren’t around too?
    We need a touchstone then we can assert: “if these are bad then the others are good”.
    I have already explained several times that the intentions of the ego, of loving identities, of good resolutions, of wanting to do, are all very interesting but it is also necessary to discover our “non-being”.
    After all, somebody must pull the strings of the “avatar puppet”…
    What will your Avatar be?
    The Intellect, The Soul and the Spirit: this is the Avatar that moves the “puppet”, those puppets that act in life and are concerned with their trivial “things”.
    The “puppet” is physical, sensations, astral, hormones and mind.
    What drives the “puppet”? The wind as it blows.
    The “puppet” is moved by the wind; it is moved by all the natural elements around us.
    Thank you for having been active, even reading hundreds of Useless Words, some in one direction, some in another, some in one way, some in another…. Driven by events, life, problems, fears, the little things that take our fancy and move the more “corpulent”, more concrete being: the “puppet” you are all dealing with.
    It’s the puppet who’s been participating so far.
    In many of you there have been “flickers of Avatar”, of the One inside.
    We say Avatar now because it’s the title of a film (1), in the future we’ll say something different.
    On some occasions we have also spoken of this as “intellect” (one part), or “entanglement”, defining it in a rather technical manner (sub-nuclear physics) ...

http://www.uselesswords.org/contStd.asp?lang=en&idPag=544
    seems a very interesting site about the film .... but overall I was impressed much interaction with the plants ...:)
    edited February 2010
    She sounds quite a cutie. I have a big round head, and that's where it ends. I'm not very physically adorable. :sulk:
    Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    You don't have a big round head, Jellybean. In fact, it looks rather narrow, and the white fur around the muzzle looks...oh, wait, that's your dog! Sorry...

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    What kind of pet is your avatar of? :p
    Love & Peace
    Joe