Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any young buddhist out there?

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well add 2 n 2 together Mr SomeSayInFire :D
  • edited April 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Well add 2 n 2 together Mr SomeSayInFire :D
    Well, hey. Its not my fault I dont know my own username, I didn't even know I was a dragon! :o

lol
    edited April 2010
    Dragons :rolleyes:
    edited April 2010
    dragon_computer.gif
  • edited April 2010
    dragon_computer.gif
    *sigh* I wish I was more photogenic. :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2010
    *sigh* I wish I was more photogenic. :rolleyes:

Hahahahah. That's funny, you look rather angry in the pic, I must say.
    I wanna be a dragon toO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fair, humph! :eek:

SadDragon.jpg
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm 58 and I've been around the dharma since 1982. I guess that makes me an 'old buddhist'.
  • edited April 2010
    Hahahahah. That's funny, you look rather angry in the pic, I must say.
    I wanna be a dragon toO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fair, humph! :eek:

SadDragon.jpg
    Well, you can be..one I guess, although its not all its cracked up to be, its hard to type with big scaly fingers!
    edited April 2010
    You're better off staying an oger, Ashley :p
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    I'm 58 and I've been around the dharma since 1982. I guess that makes me an 'old buddhist'.

No, not old...ancient! ;) Me too.

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    You're 58 Palzang?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Actually I'm 63! :hair: SCARY!!!

But I don't look a day over 70...

Palzang
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm old.
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Actually I'm 63! :hair: SCARY!!!

But I don't look a day over 70...

Palzang
    63 years young. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I should make that my new mantra. Then maybe I'll believe it! :rolleyes:

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    I'm 18 and new to Buddhism and loving it so far. It's deeply impacted my life so far and I try to put it into everyday situations. Meditating is great it's just hard to sit for long periods of time but I'm practicing.
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe I should make that my new mantra. Then maybe I'll believe it! :rolleyes:

Palzang
    :lol:
    edited April 2010
    63! No! You don't look a day over, um, 30... Can I have some money now? :wtf:

Hi Kevin! :wavey:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'll email you a pound of flesh. I've got a few to spare...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You do use pounds over there, don't you?

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    Don't you mean over here?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    That reminds me of the story of the young novice who was bringing something to his master. However, he came to a deep, fast moving river that was impossible to ford. He searched high and low, but he couldn't find a bridge or anywhere to cross. Finally he spotted his master walking along the other side of the river. He called out, "Master, how can I get to the other side of the river?" His master answered, "You already are on the other side of the river!"

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Kevinc wrote: »
    I'm 18 and new to Buddhism and loving it so far. It's deeply impacted my life so far and I try to put it into everyday situations. Meditating is great it's just hard to sit for long periods of time but I'm practicing.

Hey Kevin! Glad to hear that buddhism is mixing so well with you and that you're enjoying the path! :wavey:(Stealing Joes trademark smiley for newcomers :D) Meditating, in my opinion, seems hard at first as far as time goes. I used to be sitting for ages and look up to the clock only to realize it had only been 15 minutes! :o Keep withit! :)
  • edited April 2010
    That reminds me of the story of the young novice who was bringing something to his master. However, he came to a deep, fast moving river that was impossible to ford. He searched high and low, but he couldn't find a bridge or anywhere to cross. Finally he spotted his master walking along the other side of the river. He called out, "Master, how can I get to the other side of the river?" His master answered, "You already are on the other side of the river!"

Palzang

Hahah! :lol: That's funny! :)... hence the million smilies. And you're 63?! :wow: YOU'RE PRACTICALLY A DINASOUR! Haha. Just messing, not too old mr "I-am-ancient!"
  • edited April 2010

Palzang
    I told this story to my nephew tonight! :D
    Well, maybe not the same one but very simialar..
    I love it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hahah! :lol: That's funny! :)... hence the million smilies. And you're 63?! :wow: YOU'RE PRACTICALLY A DINASOUR! Haha. Just messing, not too old mr "I-am-ancient!"

No, no, you have it all wrong. I was the one who made the dinosaurs extinct!
    Yep, I did it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Glad you like my old man's stories...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I told this story to my nephew tonight! :D
    Well, maybe not the same one but very simialar..
    I love it.

Hopefully he didn't get nightmares.

Palzang
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited April 2010
    No, no, you have it all wrong. I was the one who made the dinosaurs extinct!
    Yep, I did it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Glad you like my old man's stories...

Palzang

If you are that old, maybe you are the one who made the blueprints for the pyramids in Egypt. :D
    If that is true, then all the New-Age adepts and conspiracy theorists got it all wrong.:lol::lol::lol::D
  • edited April 2010
    Hopefully he didn't get nightmares.

Palzang
    Hmmm....
    Guess I'm not the best uncle, then...
  • edited April 2010
    Hmmm....
    Guess I'm not the best uncle, then...

Fail! Just kidding. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Fail! Just kidding. :)
    Dragons are supposed to stick together, so much for that. :rolleyes:
    ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If you are that old, maybe you are the one who made the blueprints for the pyramids in Egypt. :D
    If that is true, then all the New-Age adepts and conspiracy theorists got it all wrong.:lol::lol::lol::D

We didn't need no stinkin' blueprints! We just levitated them rocks up there!

Palzang
  • edited April 2010

Palzang

Isn't like supposed to be the stereotypical male responce? "I don't need no stinkin' instructions!" Hahah. :lol:

And somesayinfire... Well aren't you a faithful dragon?! Psh... goody-to-shoes!:eek:
  • edited April 2010
    Isn't like supposed to be the stereotypical male responce? "I don't need no stinkin' instructions!" Hahah. :lol:

And somesayinfire... Well aren't you a faithful dragon?! Psh... goody-to-shoes!:eek:
    You just be jealous.
    :cool:
    edited April 2010
    Has the world even been going for 63(!!!!????) years!?!?
  • edited April 2010
    Ouch, thats gotta hurt.
    *cringe*
    edited April 2010

Palzang

Teach me how to do that!:D Maybe I'll be the most popular guy in high school for levitating things.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Isn't like supposed to be the stereotypical male responce? "I don't need no stinkin' instructions!" Hahah.

Actually it's what the Mexican outlaws said in Blazing Saddles when they were posing as a sheriff's posse: "We don need no stinkin' badges!"

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Has the world even been going for 63(!!!!????) years!?!?

No, I invented it when I was 5.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    No, I invented it when I was 5.

Palzang

Hahahahah! :lol:
    But then... who invented you? Are you GOD?!?!?!? :D
  • edited April 2010
    Teach me how to do that!:D Maybe I'll be the most popular guy in high school for levitating things.

Or people will think you're a crazy witch boy and throw you in a pond to see if you sink or float... either way! :o
  • edited April 2010
    hey im 17 and i just recently decided to become a Buddhist. i was alwasy christian but never really cared much abotu religion. i started learning about buddism on the internet and i know some basic stuff but i dont really know much. can any1 help me? is there like a book i should reaD?
  • edited April 2010
    Sunny d wrote: »
    hey im 17 and i just recently decided to become a Buddhist. i was alwasy christian but never really cared much abotu religion. i started learning about buddism on the internet and i know some basic stuff but i dont really know much. can any1 help me? is there like a book i should reaD?

Welcome Sunny d! Learning, anything new, generally takes a lot of time! If you keep with it, go slow and be patient, it will be worthyourwile though becareful not burn yourself out by overdoing it at first, this will help you avoid getting bored later.

Anyhow, a really good website is: http://buddhanet.net/ . If you go to the world Buddhist directory, you can find a monastery or centre if you would like to find a teacher, or a group to attend to hear dharma talks and such. But what is cool about this website is how much they have on it, the buddhist eLibrary will show you some free online buddhist books that you can look at. On the top of the page their is a section called "Buddhist Studies" (second from the left) and this will allow you to get a synopsis or summary on some main buddhist concepts. I found this part in that area helpful: http://buddhanet.net/e-learning/guide.htm .

A good video resource to use on youtube is: http://www.youtube.com/user/mofreedom if you go over to the right of their page, you will see all of the videos they have uploaded. They posted a beginning buddhist series: Discovering Buddhism. I would highly recommend scrolling down to the first one: http://www.youtube.com/user/mofreedom . It is very clear and easy to follow. I learned a lot from these videos! Very very helpful.

And... anything by Thich Nhat Hahn is generally good fior beginners. Though I do most of my reading online. Best of luck! Hope that gives you a good starting place. I would suggest using the buddhanet site first and looking through the buddhist introduction readings in that section.
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to be Palzangist and follow Palzanghism. Wait that's given me a really good idea for a book I'm writing...

Welcome Sunny d :D Hope you enjoy Buddhism, it's very interesting, although not quite as unique as it's followers *looks around suspiciously* :p

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
    edited April 2010
    Or people will think you're a crazy witch boy and throw you in a pond to see if you sink or float... either way! :o
    I'll neither sink neither float. I'll make this just to show them what real Zen means.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to be Palzangist and follow Palzanghism. Wait that's given me a really good idea for a book I'm writing...

Don't forget to support your local deity.

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    That's God...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Right. Me.

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    Right. Me.

Palzang

So, god Palzang, should we bring you sacrificed animals to avoid your wrath and to give us prosperity and rain ? (and the Nile river flood). :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yuk! I will send you lightning for your insolence! However, a nice cherry pie would be nice. With a little ice cream on top.

Palzang