Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any young buddhist out there?

Comments

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Yuk! I will send you lightning for your insolence! However, a nice cherry pie would be nice. With a little ice cream on top.

Palzang

Lightning !:D Ha! You are sure the brother of Zeus. By the way you reminded me of a scene in Family Guy where Peter angried the pope and the Pope saith : " God! Smite them!" and nothing happened.:lol:

Well, Palzang god, if you request a cherry pie, then I shall built a church which will provide me with lots of cherry pie :lol:.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited April 2010
    633511874197492315-STAY-BACK.jpg
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What's the cut-off age for "young Buddhist"?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010

Palzang
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Cool, count me in. :D
  • edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Cool, count me in. :D

Hahahah. Glad to know you're under 85... however palzang... you're getting close... just sayin'. :lol:
    edited April 2010
    You might as well as have called this thread 'Any Young Buddhists Out There? (But Pile On In If Your above 50 too...)'
  • edited April 2010
    For myself as a very young newbie at the age of 60 and living with my mom who is 80 I don't feel it is necessary to tell her. Although she has seen buddistic books in my bedroom she has never asked about them. Perhaps she is afraid of the answer. She still goes to church on a regular basis. I have decided to go with her. I never have before but in realizing her age I am not so confident in her always being here. I feel that not only is it a good thing in a way, but in my eyes I feel it would give great honor to her. The Buddhism I can do quietly in my room. But I won't have my mom forever. I don't see any harm in going with her to church. Mabey its a mother daughter thing...I don't know.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    budhabee wrote: »
    For myself as a very young newbie at the age of 60 and living with my mom who is 80 I don't feel it is necessary to tell her. Although she has seen buddistic books in my bedroom she has never asked about them. Perhaps she is afraid of the answer. She still goes to church on a regular basis. I have decided to go with her. I never have before but in realizing her age I am not so confident in her always being here. I feel that not only is it a good thing in a way, but in my eyes I feel it would give great honor to her. The Buddhism I can do quietly in my room. But I won't have my mom forever. I don't see any harm in going with her to church. Mabey its a mother daughter thing...I don't know.

The Buddha never said that if you are a Buddhist you can't go and attend other places of worship. Going to church with your mom sounds like a very wise and kind thing to do for her!
    edited April 2010
    I want to got to church for the fun of it but my friend said he wouldn't the religion he doesn't know anything about forbids him...

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    Sunny d wrote: »
    hey im 17 and i just recently decided to become a Buddhist. i was alwasy christian but never really cared much abotu religion. i started learning about buddism on the internet and i know some basic stuff but i dont really know much. can any1 help me? is there like a book i should reaD?

Hi Sunny, welcome, I'm not sure what others think, but, 'Buddhism for Dummies' seems like a really good intro book (at least for me anyway), it gives an overview of different traditions (e.g. Tibetan, Zen, etc), the basic beliefs of Buddhism (Karma, rebirth, etc), I think it also gives you some techniques to practice, like meditation and others, and also how Buddhism can be applied to your life.

Again, welcome :).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    You might as well as have called this thread 'Any Young Buddhists Out There? (But Pile On In If Your above 50 too...)'

Well, we know all you young folk are liberal and would welcome us moldy oldies as equals. WOULDN'T YOU???!!!!! :rarr:

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    Here's the agreement I signed....

EQUAL RIGHTS TO ALL!!!Except people aged 50+
    Signed:Jellybean
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Did you use such a small font size on the fine print so the seniors can't read it?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Jellybean, go to your room! (again) :cool:

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    That was the ultimate age discrimination, don't you think?

Palzang
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    At least soylent green wasn't suggested in the fine print. :lol:
    edited April 2010
    Hehehe. Small print Palzang, there never was any small print! *Innocent look comes into my eyes*

Bloody old fart...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Bloody old fart...

EW! What a visual! (you can't hide anything from ol' eagle eye!)

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    :rolleyes: My time will come when you are ancient and blinding...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You don't have long to wait.

Palzang
    edited April 2010
    What's your full name again? I want to mock it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Joe Thomas.
  • edited April 2010
    hey, that's amazing! my real name's tom joseph. ha ha!!!! :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    At least soylent green wasn't suggested in the fine print. :lol:

I liked the part where soylent green is people. :grin::D
    edited April 2010
    Cool Tom! Isn't the world small :lol:
  • edited May 2010
    Oh boy, I am lost....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Well, you've come to the right place. We're all bozos on this bus!

Palzang
    edited May 2010
    Oh boy, I am lost....

Do you mean that in a funny way, or a sad, drammatic way?

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited August 2010
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010

Good point!

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    I was lost because there was a lot going on with the discussion that I had missed. Man I haven't been on here in a long time :(
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, get with the program! ;)

Palzang
    edited August 2010
    Welcome back NIR :wavey:
    edited August 2010
    Good point!

Palzang
    :lol:
  • edited August 2010
    I really enjoyed reading through this thread this morning. you guys should kick up the momentum again :P and I'd love to take part

I'll post some of my own story here some time later on... or maybe not. I'm usually too lazy but if I get in the mood for talking about myself I'll definitely contribute :P
    edited August 2010
    We'll wait for you :D.
    edited September 2010
    pfr_77 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed reading through this thread this morning. you guys should kick up the momentum again :P and I'd love to take part

I'll post some of my own story here some time later on... or maybe not. I'm usually too lazy but if I get in the mood for talking about myself I'll definitely contribute :P
    wow you are lazy :p
  • JakbobJakbob Explorer
    edited September 2010
    I would like to contribute to this thread ^.^ I have just turned 16 in August. It was quite weird one morning a few months ago. A topic had come up between my mom and I about religion in prior weeks and it was about what we receive from beliefs, even if they aren't true or "real". I then began thinking about it in my own life. I was raised catholic but never strictly adhered to it, plus my father doesn't practice any religion so I never had a strong influence of it. In that point of my life, I didn't really think of spirituality as an important aspect. I felt as though I just didn't need it. In my case, it doesn't bother me to not know our origins(big bang or a deity). So on that one day, I was just sitting there, thinking (:D) when buddhism popped into my head. I cannot say why or how, but it did. So I did a wiki search like I usually do with all new topics I come across. (My theory is that wiki purposely leaves out details so that you are forced to search for more answers :P) I eventually found out a lot about it and said, why not try it? I have been practicing ever since, and cannot say it hasn't helped me tremendously. Its allowed me to reflect a great deal, and gave me tremendous tools for life. What I do find quite strange though is that a lot of the Buddhist principles I had already had been practicing or tried before... For example years ago ever before hearing of buddhism( I was little at the time) I was sitting one day and thought of this idea. How I can relate one thing to ANYTHING else. For example: I remember saying to my dad, the flower is like the cloud because the cloud rains and the water is absorbed into the flower. Is that not sorta like non-self? :eek: Simply amazed is all I can really say... Anyways, thank you to all for having such a great forum that you offer. :)
    -Namaste
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Jakbob wrote: »
    For example: I remember saying to my dad, the flower is like the cloud because the cloud rains and the water is absorbed into the flower. Is that not sorta like non-self?

:bigclap:

It is the same concept. Form is emptiness, emptiness is also form. The self is made of non-self elements.
    edited September 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    It is the same concept. Form is emptiness, emptiness is also form. The self is made of non-self elements.
    Buddha really didn't like people with learning difficulties did he? :p
    edited September 2010
    I want to mock mouldy oldies again... PALZANG!?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    You rang, young'un? Time for more humiliation?

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    Hey Now-Is-Reality!!!!!!!! I am 15 years old... And, I hail from a family of orthodox Hindus who think only their religion is true... Even I used to be this way...
    ..But only till this Jan when I came upon Buddhism(In a quest to learn other religions)... I read a book called "What The Buddha Taught" By Walpola Rahula and immediately realised that Buddhism was(and is ;) ) the closest to truth.. So I converted... And, I have told my parents about this... They did not like me following Buddhism at all for it was expressing ideas like "God AND The Soul are both mental projections"... And now, i have made it clear to them that I am a Buddhist and no one's gonna change that... Solves a great deal of arguments :D...

Love And Light,
    Nidish
    edited September 2010
    आप हिंदी, Nidish बात कर सकता हूँ?
    edited September 2010
    You rang, young'un? Time for more humiliation?

Palzang
    Yes :rarr: shiver in fear old person! :p
    edited September 2010
    Yes :rarr: shiver in fear old person! :p

Now, young and the old are on the brink of a 'Yo mama' contest :nonono:...
  • edited September 2010
    Palzang,

To levitate would be quite the party trick but for now this smily will have to suffice :om:

If you ever master the art, you must let us all in on it!
    edited September 2010
    Now, young and the old are on the brink of a 'Yo mama' contest :nonono:...
    Well just because yo mama so fat when she went out in the street with a yellow shirt on everyone shouted, "yo taxi, yo taxi." Mm mm girlfriend *finger snap*
  • edited September 2010
    आप हिंदी, Nidish बात कर सकता हूँ?
    Hey... Don't think I will know Hindi just because I am Indian... I live in the South... Here, people HATE Hindi... And I think I am just not for Hindi hehe :) Even though I studied hindi for 3 years, I cannot understand what you just told :D And I kinda understood what ya told... Can I speak Hindi? uhm.. Nope.. Can't make anything outta that language(Though I like and study Sanskrit)...

P.S:I got that meaning from Google Translate :D

Love And Light,
    Nidish