Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Does Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex? Is it true that some Buddhists believe sex is only right for reproduction. I read that the Dalai Lama said only sex that involved vagina is right and that oral and anal sex is wrong.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddhism doesn't have a monolithic canon telling you what to do. Examine in your own experience what is benefitial for you. Is my suggestion.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    >>Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex?

Buddhism doesn't say this or that. It provides a means to cultivate egoless wisdom and make skillful choices which lead to wellbeing.

>>Is it true that some Buddhists believe sex is only right for reproduction.

Again, see above. Buddhists have varying personal beliefs and I'm sure you could find a Buddhist with that one and any other.

>>I read that the Dalai Lama said only sex that involved vagina is right and that oral and anal sex is wrong.

He's said that what two consenting adults do with their butts or what-have-you in the privacy of their own bed is their business so long as it isn't harming anyone. And either way he isn't the authoritative voice on all of Buddhism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »
    Could be, but it probably also says sex is better than celibacy.... In other words, that's one you'll have to decide for yourself, depending on what your Life-plan is....
    Is it true that some Buddhists believe sex is only right for reproduction.
    That's possible too. but it sounds very much more like something a Theistic person would consider as accurate, rather than a Buddhist.
    I read that the Dalai Lama said only sex that involved vagina is right and that oral and anal sex is wrong.
    Please bear in mind my comments to you regarding quoting sources and references. "You read somewhere" is an unreliable statement.
    In any case, o0Mundus's comments on this point are accurate.
    However, it would be fair to say some traditions mention inapporpriate orifices in connection with sex, but this is a more cultural inclusion into Buddhist doctrine of that particular tradition, and not a reliable or verifiable specific Buddhist teaching.
  • edited April 2010
    I was reading BUDDHIST ETHICS A Very Short Introduction by Damien Keown.. sorry I am very forgetful.

He stated that the Dalai Lama stated that any organ other than the vagina should not be used in sexual intercourse.

According to this book the Dalai Lama even stated that masterbation is proscribed for Buddhist practitioners and is improper.

I don't know if the Dalai Lama still holds these views.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In regards to the quote that Keown is referencing:
    In 1997 he explained that the basis of that teaching was unknown to him and that he at least had some "willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context" while reiterating the unacceptable nature saying, "Buddhist sexual proscriptions ban homosexual activity and heterosexual sex through orifices other than the vagina, including masturbation or other sexual activity with the hand... From a Buddhist point of view, lesbian and gay sex is generally considered sexual misconduct".<sup id="cite_ref-75" class="reference">[76]</sup>

(to reiterate, he is not the authoritative voice of Buddhism, and he was not speaking from a "Buddhist-point-of-view" but from his own point-of-view within his own tradition of Buddhism.

He has also said:
    "If someone comes to me and asks whether homosexuality is okay or not, I will ask 'What is your companion's opinion?'. If you both agree, then I think I would say 'if two males or two females voluntarily agree to have mutual satisfaction without further implication of harming others, then it is okay'".<sup id="cite_ref-76" class="reference">[77]</sup>
  • edited April 2010
    The Dalai Lama must have changed his opinion or something, he seems to be contradicting himself.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I don't think so. It seems he just recognizes that not all people are Tibetan Buddhists, that he does not know the basis for that particular teaching and so it's quite likely a cultural add-on rather than one of the Buddha's teachings of non-harm, and that what two mutually consenting adults do in their own home is really no one else's business--while still, in his own tradition, for those practicing those beliefs, it's not considered proper...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    He stated that the Dalai Lama stated that any organ other than the vagina should not be used in sexual intercourse.

That sounds like a very one sided view. :)
  • edited April 2010
    So how did the Buddha define sexual misconduct? It is one of the five precepts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    He didn't, I don't think.
    as with the majority of teachings by the Buddha, it's left to your own personal discernment to evaluate what you feel is sexual misconduct.
    In my own personal opinion, I think that any type of sexual encounter which compromises a person's comfort, will or co-operation, and that uses and abuses their prticipation, and coerces them to take part even though they are not comfortable - is sexual misconduct.
    The sexual persuasion of individuals is not an issue.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Does Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex? Is it true that some Buddhists believe sex is only right for reproduction. I read that the Dalai Lama said only sex that involved vagina is right and that oral and anal sex is wrong.

To begin with, it should be made clear that Buddhist precepts aren't equivalent to commandments in that precepts are training rules that are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unskillful actions. Actions are considered unskillful when they arise out of the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion and lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both (MN 61).

In regard to Buddhist sexual ethics, the third precept states: "I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct." This, of course, will naturally lead one to the question, "What is the definition of sexual misconduct?" To answer that question, however, we must take into account the other four precepts. In other words, the five precepts are an integrated whole, and each precept supports the others. The other four precepts are (1) to refrain from harming living beings, (2) to refrain from taking what's not given, (3) to refrain from false speech and (4) to refrain from taking intoxicants that lead to carelessness.

Therefore, generally speaking, we can say that sexual misconduct consists of any sexual conduct that involves violence, manipulation and/or deceit. As the Ven. S. Dhammika elaborates, "If we use trickery, emotional blackmail or force to compel someone to have sex with us, then this is sexual misconduct. Adultery is also a form of sexual misconduct because when we marry we promise our spouse that we will be loyal to them. When we commit adultery we break that promise and betray that trust. Sex should be an expression of love and intimacy between two people and when it is it contributes to our mental and emotional well-being."

To summarize, from what I've been taught by my teachers, as well as from what I've read in the suttas, sexual misconduct includes any sexual activity that leads to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both, or that involves any person who's (1) already in a committed relationship (e.g., engaged, married, etc.), (2) protected by law (e.g., under age, etc.) or (3) under religious vows entailing celibacy (e.g., monks, nuns, etc.). Hence in Theravada, sex between consenting persons of legal age who aren't already in committed relationships and haven't taken vows of celibacy isn't considered misconduct.

In regard to anal and oral sex, there's a prohibition against sex concerning "inappropriate orifices" (i.e. anal and oral) that can be found in Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasyam, as well as a few other Sarvastivadin texts, but there's no such prohibition found in any Theravadin source. Personally, I think that a lot of the views concerning marriage and sex are influenced more by cultural, religious and social norms than by any universal constant. For a few quick references, please see Buddhist Sexual Ethics, Good Question, Good Answer and The Healing Power of the Precepts.
  • edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    To begin with, it should be made clear that Buddhist precepts aren't equivalent to commandments in that precepts are training rules that are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unskillful actions. Actions are considered unskillful when they arise out of the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion and lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both (MN 61).

In regard to Buddhist sexual ethics, the third precept states: "I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct." This, of course, will naturally lead one to the question, "What is the definition of sexual misconduct?" To answer that question, however, we must take into account the other four precepts. In other words, the five precepts are an integrated whole, and each precept supports the others. The other four precepts are (1) to refrain from harming living beings, (2) to refrain from taking what's not given, (3) to refrain from false speech and (4) to refrain from taking intoxicants that lead to carelessness.

Therefore, generally speaking, we can say that sexual misconduct consists of any sexual conduct that involves violence, manipulation and/or deceit. As the Ven. S. Dhammika elaborates, "If we use trickery, emotional blackmail or force to compel someone to have sex with us, then this is sexual misconduct. Adultery is also a form of sexual misconduct because when we marry we promise our spouse that we will be loyal to them. When we commit adultery we break that promise and betray that trust. Sex should be an expression of love and intimacy between two people and when it is it contributes to our mental and emotional well-being."

To summarize, from what I've been taught by my teachers, as well as from what I've read in the suttas, sexual misconduct includes any sexual activity that leads to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both, or that involves any person who's (1) already in a committed relationship (e.g., engaged, married, etc.), (2) protected by law (e.g., under age, etc.) or (3) under religious vows entailing celibacy (e.g., monks, nuns, etc.). Hence in Theravada, sex between consenting persons of legal age who aren't already in committed relationships and haven't taken vows of celibacy isn't considered misconduct.

In regard to anal and oral sex, there's a prohibition against sex concerning "inappropriate orifices" (i.e. anal and oral) that can be found in Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosabhasyam, as well as a few other Sarvastivadin texts, but there's no such prohibition found in any Theravadin source. Personally, I think that a lot of the views concerning marriage and sex are influenced more by cultural, religious and social norms than by any universal constant. For a few quick references, please see Buddhist Sexual Ethics, Good Question, Good Answer and The Healing Power of the Precepts.

Thanks.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    He didn't, I don't think.
    as with the majority of teachings by the Buddha, it's left to your own personal discernment to evaluate what you feel is sexual misconduct.
    In my own personal opinion, I think that any type of sexual encounter which compromises a person's comfort, will or co-operation, and that uses and abuses their prticipation, and coerces them to take part even though they are not comfortable - is sexual misconduct.
    The sexual persuasion of individuals is not an issue.
    yup.

I would like to add that a Buddhist will want to avoid anything that is watering a weed so it become a giant tree as well...

perversions were once only tiny little seeds.

The craving for sex is just another programming that can be dealt with by a Buddhist like any other craving in life.

The only difference is, like eating, the seed of this craving came from your dna.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha advised non-sensual happiness is superior to sensual happiness.

That said, the Buddha did not recommend all people seek non-sensual happiness.

It depends on personal disposition.

:)
  • edited April 2010
    Butt-sex messes with prana/lung. Its not some high-handed moral judgment, its a practical issue for certain methods of practice. I dont think the Buddha himself got into specifics about orifices, honestly dont see why he would care as long as the sexually active individual isnt a monk or nun and both parties were into it.
    it comes down to partners and what they are into, its nobody elses business.
    edited April 2010

Excellent point, DD.
  • edited April 2010

It's important to remember that Buddhism doesn't have right and wrong, but skillful and unskillful. Unskillful thoughts, speech, or action result in the suffering of others or oneself, and thus have a negative karmic impact and are unskillful.

On the question of sex, the five precepts for lay people doesn't say anything against it, only the monastic vows. I've heard from both Bikkhu Bodhi and Reverend Kusala that it's not the act of sex that is unskillful, but rather the craving for it. Indulging in the desire for sex reinforces the desire, so this is why the monastics, who devote their lives to enlightenment and the destruction of all desire, are forbidden to indulge in sex. In terms of lay people, it would be a fine way to help reduce your craving in this life, but it's not in any way a moral imperative.

In terms of anal or oral sex, I believe it wasn't a slight against homosexuality, but rather the indulgence of the desire for sex in general. Vaginal sex is used for procreation, but if people were to indulge in sex simply for the sensual pleasure, it would be unskillful. Since anal and oral sex are indulgences sensual pleasure without the purpose of procreation, the Dalai Lama probably assumed they default to unskillful. But as others have said, it's up to the individual as to how fervently they want to pursue enlightenment.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I read that the Dalai Lama said only sex that involved vagina is right and that oral and anal sex is wrong.

HAHAH that is hillarious...
    :lol:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

nor did he recommned that all people who seek sensual happiness make sure that there is a vagina present :lol:

That also depends on personal disposition.

Good post DD ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Sex is not prohibited to the lay Buddhist, only harmful sexual activity. Bhikkhus/Bhikkhunis are not allowed to do a lot of things that are attachments or would lead to attachments. Sex is one of these. So too are watching TV and handling money. It's all a part of the same system that is designed to give them the best chances of achieving their goal.

And if the Dalai Lama did in fact say those things, he is in error or only speaking for Tibet as its spiritual leader. He is not the Pope of Buddhism, and such things were not of the Buddha's concern nor should they be of ours. :)
  • edited April 2010

HH Dalai Lama is certainly not the spokesperson for all Buddhist traditions.Anything that he said about sex would probably be cultural. Tibetan's have a variety of cultural prohibitions regarding sexual matters and time of day etc Some of them may have been for practical reasons because nomads didn't wash as they often had limited access to water and so on -- who knows.

There is a TB centre in London for GLBT buddhists with Ringu Tulku as its spiritual director.

In general, the ultimate is beyond relative gender and sexual orientation anyway.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My understanding is that HH The Dalai Lama was speaking from a cultural point of view. I have read that in Tibet, anal sex and homosexuality were long frowned upon as "not correct" practises. I don't know if that point of view has changed and/or if it is a slow process that is occuring now.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • edited April 2010
    My understanding is that HH The Dalai Lama was speaking from a cultural point of view. I have read that in Tibet, anal sex and homosexuality were long frowned upon as "not correct" practises. I don't know if that point of view has changed and/or if it is a slow process that is occuring now.

Respectfully,
    Raven

The point of view has changed. Also, my earlier post identifies the real reason that they were discouraged.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I temember when I was asked to teach a class using Kalu Rinpoche's book "The Dharma." It had a chapter on the precepts and in it Kalu Rinpoche said anal and oral sex were misconduct. Only a small fault, but still a fault. There was much outrage in the class and nothing else was discussed that night. When I was asked to teach the class again, I dreaded the chapter on the precepts. But when I reread it, his remarks on anal and oral sex were gone! It was a second edition of the books and his remarks had been removed.
  • edited April 2010
    From my practice ive felt that sex is rather pointless. Nothing else though. I still enjoy it, but really, it doesnt matter if have it or not.
  • edited April 2010
    in romantic relations, love is obviously superior to sex. a sex of the spirit!!!! but i think sex is beautiful as well, if it's done right.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    in romantic relations, love is obviously superior to sex

Can a romantic relationship exist without sex?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »

It really depends on what your definitions are. Romantic relationships can absolutely exist without intercourse...
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I see ...
  • edited April 2010
    A Buddhist trusts in the Buddha/Dharma/Sagha.So is there anything written about this issue in any of the Buddhist canons?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What issue?
  • edited April 2010
    Does Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex
  • edited April 2010

I would have said that 'romance' implies a love-affair which would end in sex at some stage, or which would have hopes of sexual fulfillment.

We can have close, loving, non-sexual friendships, and close spiritual friendships (or a combination of both) - but I can't quite see how romance would fit in with that.

• edited April 2010
    Does Buddhism say celibacy is better than sex ?

Here's what the Buddha had to say.

Two Kinds of Happiness

" There are two kinds of happiness, O monks. The happiness of the home life and the happiness of monkhood. But the happiness of monkhood is the higher of the two.

The happiness of the senses and the happiness of renunciation. But the happiness of renunciation is the higher of the two.

Tainted happiness and taintless happiness. But taintless happiness is the higher of the two.

Carnal and non-carnal happiness - the non carnal is the higher. Noble and ignoble happiness - the noble is the higher. Bodily and mental hapiness - the mental is the higher.

(AN 2:7; selected)

• edited April 2010
    let's you and me find out :tongue2:
    edited April 2010
    Does Buddhsm say celibacy is better than sex

The Pali literature basically takes the position that sexual intercourse is an obstruction or impediment (antarayika dhamma) to obtaining awakening. In AN 4.159, for example, Ananda explains to a bhikkhuni, who's apparently sick, that sexual intercourse is to be abandoned in the practice of the holy life. (Incidentally, the background to this story details that the bhikkhuni in question was faking her illness so that Ananda would come to see her. She was very infatuated with him, and when he realized this, he gave her this particular discourse.)

Another example can be found at the beginning of MN 22. Here, the Buddha is portrayed as rebuking a monk for his views regarding sex. While not explicitly stated in the sutta itself, the commentary to this sutta mentions that the wrong view of the offending monk, Arittha, dealt specifically with the monastic training rule prohibiting sexual intercourse.

The note given to this section of the sutta concerning "obstructions" by Nyanaponika Thera explains this in more detail. Simply put, for a monastic who's dedicated fully to the holy life, it's a serious hindrance to their practice. After all, the duty of the noble disciple is to discern the allures and drawbacks of, and escape from, sensuality, physical form and feeling (MN 13). And if you look to the Buddha's teachings in general, there's nothing in them that suggests there's anything skillful in giving in to sensual desires, including those of a sexual nature.

As lay-followers, of course, we're not required to remain celibate; however, it seems to be the general consensus among Theravadin orthodoxy that sex and masturbation do nothing for spiritual awakening. Moreover, Buddhism doesn't encourage the casual fulfillment of sensual desires as much as it encourages their eventual abandonment, which further supports the idea that sex is ultimately an obstruction to awakening.

This is essentially the case made by Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Nanadhammo in "Buddhist Sexual Ethics - A Rejoinder." While this shouldn't be taken as an absolute rejection of sex as it mainly pertains to monastics who have gone forth, it does strongly suggest that sex is ultimately a hindrance to awakening for those of us that are interested in pursuing the path the very end. Nevertheless, even if this is true, I think our old friend Kris (who I wish was still around) made an excellent point in a similar discussion we had a few years ago:
    From "Buddhist Sexual Ethics - A Rejoinder":
    ”Now, Udàyin, the pleasure and joy that arises dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are called sensual pleasures - a filthy pleasure, a coarse pleasure, an ignoble pleasure. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should not be pursued, that it should not be developed, that it should not be cultivated, that it should be feared... (whereas the pleasure of the Four Jhànas). This is called the bliss of renunciation, the bliss of enlightenment. I say of this kind of pleasure that it should be pursued, that it should be developed, that it should be cultivated, that it should not be feared.” (ibid p.557)...
    ...I have stated how sensual pleasures provide little gratification, much suffering, and much despair, and how great is the danger in them.

but that:
    ]The pursuit of self-mortification... is the wrong way. Disengagement from the pursuit of self-mortification... is the right way... The Middle Way discovered by the Tathàgata avoids both these extremes... it leads... to Nibbàna.”

The accompanying commentary (perhaps unsurprisingly) provides a very “monastic” slant on the above quotes. Rather than issuing a blanket command to “give it up”, as some teachers do, Buddha demonstrated the means by which this attachment will fade of itself - the bliss of Jhana.
    That bliss and renunciation are the same thing, indicates that this is no miserable, cold-shower-style repression, rather something quite different and unique. So how can renunciation of something we enjoy be blissful? It can only be blissful when we see the nature of the agitation of the mind (insight) from within the calm of Jhana (samatha). This is entirely unlike any kind of worldly bliss and is termed a pleasure not-of-the-flesh.
    A blissful process is also utilised in the inner fire teachings of highest yoga tantra but as a means to an end - not an end in itself.
    Just “giving it up” won’t work for most people and could be the first step on the path of self-mortification. It involves denial and what help is that when one dies? The desire, the volition, is still latent within the stream (although repressed). Only when true relinquishment occurs, through meditation, can it be deemed worthwhile and I feel that Buddha’s Middle Way must be interpreted in this way.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    let's you and me find out :tongue2:
    Oh, honey! You know I'm not ready for us to start seeing other people yet.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    It really depends on what your definitions are. Romantic relationships can absolutely exist without intercourse...

My relationship with my husband began as a romance without sex for the first at least six months as we lived in different states and rarely saw each other.
  • edited April 2010

It goes further. Improper person (Eunich, Relative, Same Sex, Monk or Nun) Improper Place (in front of a stupa, your Guru, any spiritual place you practice) Improper Time (During one day vows, While the woman is pregnant)

anyhow,

You absolutely don't have to believe or follow anything HHDL says

- but I think it is helpful to know that HHDL didn't dream this up. He is merely talking from a scriptural point of view that goes back to the beginning of the Gelug lineage back to Je Tsong-Khapa. I'm sure Je Rinpoche didn't dream it up either and I am sure he found the same teachings in his studies which covered basically all of Tibetan Buddhism at the time including Kagyu, Sakya, and Nyingma and some say all of the Kadam teachings as well.

Je-Tsong-Khapa, Gampopa, Milrepa, Kalu Rinpoche, Pabongkha Rinpoche

What you read from the Dalai Lama is in the books written by the above authors, who agree without question.

It comes down to what you want to do though. HHDL is just one teacher.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    He is merely talking from a scriptural point of view that goes back to the beginning of the Gelug lineage back to Je Tsong-Khapa. I'm sure Je Rinpoche didn't dream it up either and I am sure he found the same teachings in his studies which covered basically all of Tibetan Buddhism at the time including Kagyu, Sakya, and Nyingma and some say all of the Kadam teachings as well.

Well, if you're certain of your baseless assumptions, then it's case closed, people. [/thread] :p

The Dalai Lama has even said that it's possibly nothing more than cultural residue.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I would have said that 'romance' implies a love-affair which would end in sex at some stage, or which would have hopes of sexual fulfillment.

What I was thinking as well. It maybe true that there can be long distance relationships where two people do not get the chance of a close physical relationship but they have it in mind to eventually... It's very hard to think if two people will be romantically involved without any sex at all and only love.

The initial attraction of any romantic relationship is based on physical attributes and sex or physical intimacy is the driving force of most romantic relationships. But then again, what do I know
  • edited April 2010
    yeah, in romantic relationships, sex and the physical aspect of love figures prominently. but, i am thinking, in a relationship, when two people love each other romantically, there is the aspect of being "soulmates", or to put it in buddhist terms "anatman mates", which sort of transcends the sexual aspect. but, i don't know either, i am not experienced in love, just speculating.
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Oh, honey! You know I'm not ready for us to start seeing other people yet.
    shut up, woman! i don't care what you want! i'm trying to attain nirvana!
  • edited April 2010
    I don't see how there is any spiritual or any other form of benefit to celibacy. I tryed it and see no benefit.
    edited April 2010
    I don't see how there is any spiritual or any other form of benefit to celibacy. I tryed it and see no benefit.

As far as awakening is concerned, it's really only beneficial in the context of a well-developed meditation practice, or for someone who's in the process of developing one.
  • edited April 2010

Different strokes for different folks ! (to coin a phrase ;))

Personally I have found that my decision some years ago to become celibate has brought much greater peace of mind and general contentment.

• edited April 2010
    yeah, in romantic relationships, sex and the physical aspect of love figures prominently. but, i am thinking, in a relationship, when two people love each other romantically, there is the aspect of being "soulmates", or to put it in buddhist terms "anatman mates", which sort of transcends the sexual aspect. but, i don't know either, i am not experienced in love, just speculating.

Sorry to disillusion you, but "soulmates" can turn to "hatemates" sometimes when the romantic bubble starts to get thin and bursts. Feelings and needs can change due to impermanence.:)

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

If there is no other benefit then preventing the many complexities that romantic relationships inevitably bring is enough in itself.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If there is no other benefit then preventing the many complexities that romantic relationships inevitably bring is enough in itself.

I have to agree that romantic relationships bring complexity. I am not convinced that the complexity brings harm, but it does require you to look at more items, and be more flexible in what surrounds you. Its pretty good stuff though.

With warmth,

Matt
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Dhammapada certainly suggests that the Awakened are celibate:

"No faultfinding, no hurting, restraint in the patimokkha,
    Knowing the measure regarding food, solitary bed and chair,
    Application, too, of higher perception:
    This is the instruction of the Awakened Ones." (185 )

and, perhaps, the whole of section XVI "The Pleasant".

Buddhists, of course, like all people who use texts, will spin these to their own ends.