Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does metal music conflict with buddhism??

edited October 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I come from a christain family, but i like metal music. Most of the music deals with the occult but I try not to listen to that stuff. my family wont let me anyway. I am a HUGE metalhead and I was wondering if this interfeared with buddhism at all. Because my family is Christian i feel like an outcast and they think I am strange because I like metal.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    nothing interferes with the buddhist path, except attachments.

It's really hard for us (former christians) to get this idea through our heads: Buddhism is absolutely nothing like Christianity in regards to rules, dogma, and strictures. The content of music has absolutely nothing to do with anything. There are really no "rules" at all in Buddhism - meaning there are no hard and fast, black and white, "do this or do that but not this" type of rules. Instead, Buddha gave us guidelines, known as the eightfold path. These are suggestions, saying "if you want to acheive the cessation of suffering in the cycle of birth and rebirth, you might want to try this"

Buddhism is not punitive, therefore there can be nothing that says "if you do this, you will be punished".. .punished with what? There is no judge, no one to answer to but yourself.
  • edited September 2005
    I'm no expert, but I don't see anything wrong with it. ROCK ON!!!
  • edited September 2005
    Hello,

I see no reason why you are not allowed to take what you want from listening to Metal music.
    It is only an opinion but Metal is a very pale mutation of all that is or was great about anti establishment Rock. It lacks depth and has a less than positve message than much of todays mainstream sounds. And it is totally predictable.
    Interesting it's major audience is predominatly the white rural middle class kids.
    As I said it's only an opinion but it's still Spinal Tap.
  • edited September 2005
    Being quite the metal head myself, I pondered this question as well. but I've come to the conclusion there's really nothing wrong with it, I actually find metal is unfairly attributed to negativity. Most metal is not dark and depressing, that's just one form of metal, called "death metal". there is indeed very inspiring and beautiful forms of metal, IE Nightwish, who utilizes the metal guitars, bass, drums etc, but also uses classical female opera vocals with very nice orchestra to create something quite beautiful. to me it has always been the music most effective at expressing emotion with the most power, which is was music is intended to do.
  • edited September 2005
    I like Rammstein myself.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    IMHO, it is the appalling "Easy (!) Listening" crap which saps the moral fibre of the nation, not to mention 99% of all Christian hymns wruitten after 1900!

Of course music isn't against any Buddhist principles but the words may be!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Simon

I didn't know you were such a headbanger!

Now Motley Crue are gonna have to change their song.

Shout!
    Shout!
    Shout at the Judeo-Christian belief of a demon Deity! :rockon:

Just doesn't have the same feel...

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    Night wish OWNZ!
  • edited September 2005
    "I see no reason why you are not allowed to take what you want from listening to Metal music.
    It is only an opinion but Metal is a very pale mutation of all that is or was great about anti establishment Rock. It lacks depth and has a less than positve message than much of todays mainstream sounds. And it is totally predictable.
    Interesting it's major audience is predominatly the white rural middle class kids.
    As I said it's only an opinion but it's still Spinal Tap."

Um im not sure if u didnt know but im black.
  • edited September 2005
    "I see no reason why you are not allowed to take what you want from listening to Metal music.
    As I said it's only an opinion but it's still Spinal Tap."

Um im not sure if u didnt know but im black.

I wouldn't base an opinion about metal based on the mainstream "screamo" metal bands that are popular today, such as slipknot and so forth. The actual intelligent metal seems to be concentrated in Europe, not America.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    What is music?

Music is merely sound that one finds pleasurable. What difference does it make whether it is "metal", or "pop", or "gospel", or "blue grass", etc. etc.? That is only a perception which is ultimately abandoned on the Buddha's path:

"At Savatthi. "Monks, any desire-passion with regard to perception (naming, labeling) of forms is a defilement of the mind. Any desire-passion with regard to perception of sounds... perception of aromas... perception of flavors... perception of tactile sensations... perception of ideas is a defilement of the mind. When, with regard to these six bases, the defilements of awareness are abandoned, then the mind is inclined to renunciation. The mind fostered by renunciation feels malleable for the direct knowing of those qualities worth realizing."

~ Sañña Sutta Samyutta Nikaya XXVII.6

The main fact is that it is an object of attachment by the ear faculty. Once the ear 'hears' these sounds (contact) the mind then has hearing-consciousness. Now the mind begins it's multi-tasking effort of division from this feeling. It divides the sound into pleasurable, neutral, or unpleasant. The recognition process searches through memory to compare it with a 'known' sound. From there perceptions further breaks it down into how you react to that sound (i.e. with aversion, happiness, equanimity, confusion, etc.) which is the forerunner of intention. Intention is followed by craving - craving for the sound due to pleasure, craving for not hearing the sound due to unpleasantness....

All in all this process that we call hearing is just that - a process. In the ultimate truth the music one finds pleasurable is merely sound (object) and the process of hearing (contact with the ear). Once this is seen with discriminating awareness it produces the insight with which to view the process as it is, not through our defilements.

"I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. There he addressed the monks: "Monks!"
    "Yes, lord," the monks responded to him.

"Monks, I will teach you the Dhamma admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end; I will expound the holy life both in its particulars & in its essence, entirely complete, surpassingly pure -- in other words, the six sextets. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said: "The six internal media should be known. The six external media should be known. The six classes of consciousness should be known. The six classes of contact should be known. The six classes of feeling should be known. The six classes of craving should be known.

"'The six internal media should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? The eye-medium, the ear-medium, the nose-medium, the tongue-medium, the body-medium, the intellect-medium. 'The six internal media should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the first sextet.

"'The six external media should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? The form-medium, the sound-medium, the aroma-medium, the flavor-medium, the tactile sensation-medium, the idea-medium. 'The six external media should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the second sextet.

"'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. 'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the third sextet.

"'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. 'The six classes of contact should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the fourth sextet.

"'The six classes of feeling should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. 'The six classes of feeling should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the fifth sextet.

"'The six classes of craving should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving. 'The six classes of craving should be known.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said. This is the sixth sextet.

"If anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self.' So the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Forms are the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self and forms are not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Consciousness at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Contact at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Feeling is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self. If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.' Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self, craving is not-self.

"If anyone were to say, 'The ear is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable...

"If anyone were to say, 'The nose is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable...

"If anyone were to say, 'The tongue is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable...

"If anyone were to say, 'The body is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable...

"If anyone were to say, 'The intellect is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the intellect are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The intellect is the self.' So the intellect is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Ideas are the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the intellect is not-self and ideas are not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Consciousness at the intellect is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self, consciousness at the intellect is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Contact at the intellect is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self, consciousness at the intellect is not-self, contact at the intellect is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Feeling is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self, consciousness at the intellect is not-self, contact at the intellect is not-self, feeling is not self. If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.' Thus the intellect is not-self, ideas are not-self, consciousness at the intellect is not-self, contact at the intellect is not-self, feeling is not self, craving is not-self.

"This, monks, is the path of practice leading to self-identification. One assumes about the eye that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.' One assumes about forms... One assumes about consciousness at the eye... One assumes about contact at the eye... One assumes about feeling... One assumes about craving that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.'

"One assumes about the ear...

"One assumes about the nose...

"One assumes about the tongue...

"One assumes about the body...

"One assumes about the intellect that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.' One assumes about ideas... One assumes about consciousness at the intellect... One assumes about contact at the intellect... One assumes about feeling... One assumes about craving that 'This is me, this is my self, this is what I am.'

"Now, this is the path of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification. One assumes about the eye that 'This is not me, this is not my self, this is not what I am.' One assumes about forms... One assumes about consciousness at the eye... One assumes about contact at the eye... One assumes about feeling... One assumes about craving that 'This is not me, this is not my self, this is not what I am.'

"One assumes about the ear...

"One assumes about the nose...

"One assumes about the tongue...

"One assumes about the body...

"One assumes about the intellect that 'This is not me, this is not my self, this is not what I am.' One assumes about ideas... One assumes about consciousness at the intellect... One assumes about contact at the intellect... One assumes about feeling... One assumes about craving that 'This is not me, this is not my self, this is not what I am.'

"Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there arises what is felt either as pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain. If, when touched by a feeling of pleasure, one relishes it, welcomes it, or remains fastened to it, then one's passion-obsession gets obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of pain, one sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats one's breast, becomes distraught, then one's resistance-obsession gets obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, one does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, or escape from that feeling, then one's ignorance-obsession gets obsessed. That a person -- without abandoning passion-obsession with regard to a feeling of pleasure, without abolishing resistance-obsession with regard to a feeling of pain, without uprooting ignorance-obsession with regard to a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, without abandoning ignorance and giving rise to clear knowing -- would put an end to suffering & stress in the here & now: such a thing isn't possible.

"Dependent on the ear & sounds...

"Dependent on the nose & aromas...

"Dependent on the tongue & flavors...

"Dependent on the body & tactile sensations...

"Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there arises what is felt either as pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain. If, when touched by a feeling of pleasure, one relishes it, welcomes it, or remains fastened to it, then one's passion-obsession gets obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of pain, one sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats one's breast, becomes distraught, then one's resistance-obsession gets obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, one does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, or escape from that feeling, then one's ignorance-obsession gets obsessed. That a person -- without abandoning passion-obsession with regard to a feeling of pleasure, without abolishing resistance-obsession with regard to a feeling of pain, without uprooting ignorance-obsession with regard to a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, without abandoning ignorance and giving rise to clear knowing -- would put an end to suffering & stress in the here & now: such a thing isn't possible.

"Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there arises what is felt either as pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain. If, when touched by a feeling of pleasure, one does not relish it, welcome it, or remain fastened to it, then one's passion-obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of pain, one does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, beat one's breast or become distraught, then one's resistance obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, one discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, & escape from that feeling, then one's ignorance-obsession doesn't get obsessed. That a person -- through abandoning passion-obsession with regard to a feeling of pleasure, through abolishing resistance-obsession with regard to a feeling of pain, through uprooting ignorance-obsession with regard to a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, through abandoning ignorance and giving rise to clear knowing -- would put an end to suffering & stress in the here & now: such a thing is possible.

"Dependent on the ear & sounds...

"Dependent on the nose & aromas...

"Dependent on the tongue & flavors...

"Dependent on the body & tactile sensations...

"Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there arises what is felt either as pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain. If, when touched by a feeling of pleasure, one does not relish it, welcome it, or remain fastened to it, then one's passion-obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of pain, one does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, beat one's breast or become distraught, then one's resistance obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, one discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, & escape from that feeling, then one's ignorance-obsession doesn't get obsessed. That a person -- through abandoning passion-obsession with regard to a feeling of pleasure, through abolishing resistance-obsession with regard to a feeling of pain, through uprooting ignorance-obsession with regard to a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, through abandoning ignorance and giving rise to clear knowing -- would put an end to suffering & stress in the here & now: such a thing is possible.

"Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with the eye, disenchanted with forms, disenchanted with consciousness at the eye, disenchanted with contact at the eye, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with craving.

"He grows disenchanted with the ear...

"He grows disenchanted with the nose...

"He grows disenchanted with the tongue...

"He grows disenchanted with the body...

"He grows disenchanted with the intellect, disenchanted with ideas, disenchanted with consciousness at the intellect, disenchanted with contact at the intellect, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with craving. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, the monks delighted at his words. And while this explanation was being given, the hearts of 60 monks, through no clinging (not being sustained), were fully released from fermentation/effluents.

~ Chachakka Sutta Majjhima Nikaya 148

Anatta (not-self) further shows us that there is "no one" that actually hears these sounds, but that it is merely a combination of aggregates* which is mistaken for such a "self".

*See the Nakulapita Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn22-001.html

(P.s. Just for the record I love metal myself, from the progressive European to the mainstream "screamo" ;) Slipknot is badass, not to mention Cradle of Filth, Nightwish, Slayer, Therion, Arch Enemy, ....... I could go on forever. :) )
  • edited September 2005
    Give me those angst of Sonic Youth, the depth of Doves and the energy that shines from those lads The killers any day of the week.
    Again its only an opinion but think metal, think Waynes World.

And if you are looking for enlightenment pick up a copy of Neil Youngs ( Not Indie) Down by the River.

Party on, Dude........
  • edited September 2005
    Go Slipknot Go Slayer!!! ROCK ON!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I just finished this book "Dharma Punx". Apparently, slam dancing and Buddhism can go together!

http://www.dharmapunx.com
  • edited September 2005
    Just be conscious about the effects it has in your life. It's different for everyone. If the more you listen to it the worse you feel/act, I'd lessen your exposure to it if I were you. If it has a positive effect - Rock on!!!
  • edited September 2005
    i have one thing to say on the subject ............
  • edited September 2005
    and in fact while i type this i'm listening to numb by linkin park!
  • edited September 2005
    It's definately a matter of perspective. I've found most people who don't listen to metal assume that those who do are listening because they're angry and want to feel angry, let out their agression. this may be true for some, especially those god-awful screamo bands, but feeling angry and negative is not what metal is about for most.

that being said, perhapse I'll go throw on some amon amarth and slayer, after I'm done with Within Temptation :p .
  • edited January 2006
    I just found this thread, and it answered my question. I had hoped there wouldn't be a conflict of interest with metal and buddhism, for the past 5 years I've fronted a death metal band based in MA. Our lyrics are filled with horrific stuff, but in my mind it's creativity and is a more positive outlet than acting the songs out if you know what I mean. Not meaning to plug the band but if anyone is down for checking it out let me know and I'll hook up a link.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I just found this thread, and it answered my question. I had hoped there wouldn't be a conflict of interest with metal and buddhism, for the past 5 years I've fronted a death metal band based in MA. Our lyrics are filled with horrific stuff, but in my mind it's creativity and is a more positive outlet than acting the songs out if you know what I mean. Not meaning to plug the band but if anyone is down for checking it out let me know and I'll hook up a link.

I'm always interested in new music. PM me, please!

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm always interested in new music. PM me, please!

-bf

did ya get a chance to check the link I sent you?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Looking for Answers,
    As an older metalhead, please send me the link also.

Now I haven't heard anything recently that interests me. Some of the nu-metal is good like Korn, or some of the Prog Metal/Rock such as Dream Theater or Evanesence is interesting but give me Priest and Maiden any day. Saw Priest on the Reunion tour. They didn't have to use walkers or wheelchairs but I did think I smelled a touch of Ben-Gay in the air. No Rob Halford jokes please. But they still put on a good show.

Heard this Swedish band called Dragonforce who played so fast it was hard to keep up with it. But if you all know of some new bands that are good, let me know.

By the way, what happened to Metallica? After the "Black album" they went downhill. "Master of Puppets" was a masterpiece. Friends of mine offered me "St. Anger" to get it off their hands as they thought it totally reeked.

I tried getting into Slayer, but couldn't get into it. The only "death metal" band I ever got into was Vengeance Rising in the early nineties. They were a Christian version. They took the nastiest parts of the Bible and put it to music. "Human Sacrifice" is a classic. If anyone gets it and needs the lyrics, I have the album practically memorized I've listened to it so much.

So are Buddhism and metal compatible? Sure, and turn it up to 11 if you can. By the way, I loved "Spinal Tap".
  • edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Looking for Answers,
    But if you all know of some new bands that are good, let me know.

Nevermore is a great new band that you'd probably enjoy, or Strapping Young Lad.

Rather than PM'ing the link to people I'll just post it here. http://www.myspace.com/leukorrhea There are 4 songs on there and they are very much in the death metal vein.

And onto Metallica... well like most people who get famous, the money and fame went to their heads. In the videotape they put out called "Cliff Em All" they swore they would never do a video and or sell out. The have done numerous videos, "One" being the first and best. Lars became so greedy he has tried to break down many ways of people listening to music. I have no issue with napster and the like as it helps me check out a band or two's tracks before going out and buying the CD, which I always do if I like it. If I don't like it I don't waste my money on it. But back to the greedy, nu-metal Metallica of nowadays, not worth listening to after the "Black" album imo.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Listened to the songs by Leukorrhea. Great stuff, man! How do I get the CD? I could crank that on my Bose headphones anytime!
  • edited February 2006
    I think music of any kind is a sort of therapy (be it new age, metal, etc.) It helps those who write it, play it and sing it deal with their issues and it inspires the rest of us by giving us a sense that we are not alone.

There have been many bands (alternative, metal, rock, whatever) whose lyrics and music have helped me through rough times.

Besides that, it's just fun! All attachments aside, we are all just looking for happiness in our existence. If metal helps, let it be. It works for me!!
  • edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Listened to the songs by Leukorrhea. Great stuff, man! How do I get the CD? I could crank that on my Bose headphones anytime!

wow, glad you liked it. I'll send ya a PM if you really want the CD, I'm psyched you liked it though. :rockon:
  • edited February 2006
    I think music of any kind is a sort of therapy (be it new age, metal, etc.) It helps those who write it, play it and sing it deal with their issues and it inspires the rest of us by giving us a sense that we are not alone.

There have been many bands (alternative, metal, rock, whatever) whose lyrics and music have helped me through rough times.

Besides that, it's just fun! All attachments aside, we are all just looking for happiness in our existence. If metal helps, let it be. It works for me!!

This was my thought from the beginning. Being in the band has helped me out more than anyone could know. There were many days when I'd get so pissed I wouldn't know what to do, than I'd go to practice for two hours and feel revived afterward and much happier than when I walked into the practice room. Playing show helped a ton too, especially seeing so many people getting into the music. I would literally cease to exist if I didn't have music in my life. I like alot of other stuff besides metal but the savage sound calms me quite a bit.:rocker:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Windwalker,
    RAMMSTEIN ROCKS!
  • edited October 2009
    I can actually recommend a great metal band, maybe you know of it... Opeth. It actually has some indian scales in it as well.. (depens on the different albums) quite fun :D

here's some links of their videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfT1A5Caq84
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxaFANthouM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3WayEBr9-M

Enjoy ;)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited October 2009
    A few years ago when this thread started, my taste in the newer metal was limited. Nevermore is phenomenal. The first time I heard them cover "Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel, I kept thinking "I know this song, but this is much darker". When I found out what it was, my mind was blown.

Opeth is an accquired taste I think. I have "Blacwater Park" and one other, but don't listen to them much.

Other bands I like are Hatebreed, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Into Eternity, Dark Tranquility, Throwdown, Halford (Rob's side band), Kreator (whom I never heard unti this decade), and 3 Inches of Blood to start. I must say that I listen to all kinds of music and it really is based on my mood. I've actually listened almost nothing for a month. It's time to get back to it.
  • edited October 2009
    lol i dunno what everyone else said, but

Dont be ridiculous.

I actually digitally produce metal music and techno and shiz like that..

the thing is, if it's some stupid shit like " ohh f*** ur mo***** and ra** ur sister and slaughter donkeys of jesus ChRIST fa*G**!!!
    RAAAAHHHH!!!" :mad::mad::mad:

then im my opinion thats just stupid shit..
    If however it is in good taste , saying a message of like... something "LEGIT"
    then i believe its all good!!

even if it's a lot of swearing, if the message is honest, not a fkin lame emo queer joke....then its all good..

so in conclusion it does not in my opinion conflict with buddhism, if it doesn't cause suffering, or go against the precepts wahtever, its all good, as long as u dont over do attachment or desire to listen to it..a