Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do Buddhists Cope With Kids?

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
In western society, our kids are quite different from other cultures such as those in Asia. As a consequence, Buddhism does not appear to have a lot of thought dealing with power struggles and children's rights. I may be wrong but I wonder if anyone in history has had to deal with the kinds of struggles parents have to cope with today here in the west. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    How Do Buddhists Cope With Kids?
    hmmm. i would guess... well to ideally :D

I like kids, a simpler version of us.

you can observe how conditionnings are seeded and grows so fast...
    they will know nothing about something the one day, and next week it is part of their daily life...
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In western society, our kids are quite different from other cultures such as those in Asia. As a consequence, Buddhism does not appear to have a lot of thought dealing with power struggles and children's rights. I may be wrong but I wonder if anyone in history has had to deal with the kinds of struggles parents have to cope with today here in the west. Any thoughts on this?

We have been bringing up our kids as Buddhists since their earliest words.

I think, especially in the west (where they are bombarded by adverts etc) its a great tool kit for life, even before the spiritual stuff comes into play.

Part of me wishes there was a well defined path for kids and dharma but another part is glad its all part of the exploration for all of us.

As a buddhist parent it has also been interesting because you can't teach a five year old about dependent origination (for example) so we teach more about buddhist morality (they know the defilements etc) and psychology (they know what craving is and its role in making things more negative).

Id be very interested to hear any other Buddhist parents methods - we are probably all as bad as each other at it!:)

namaste
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010

As a father, I can say from practical experience, and though its difficult to say my actions are ideal, I find them effective. Also, my son is 8, my daughter 7 months, so teenage years are yet to come :)

The most important thing is to be peaceful when relating. If you are directly looking at helping them relate more skillfully to their environment, then when power struggles arise, there is nothing they can do to uproot your equanimity. Power struggles only come into play if you let them... otherwise there is 'equanimity vs tantrum' and nothing more. My approach is to be humble, assertive and interested in their well being and enjoyment of the world around them.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    My ex-husband was of asian descent (his parents immigrated when he was only 2 years old), and his parents were Buddhists. I watched how they raised the younger of the children, and frankly I see no difference in how they dealt with kids, or how anyone else of any other culture deals with children. Of course that is just one example out of a million.

I would assume no matter where you are or who you are or what your culture or religion may be, children always present difficulties, and the way in which a person deals with that will vary from situation to situation, family to family, even within the same culture.

I personally recognized years ago I am not fit to be a parent, and have chosen to be child-free, so I'm just glad it's one thing I do not have to concern myself with. I do not like children. I deal with them by keeping my distance :P
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Kids! :rolleyesc
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "I wonder if anyone in history has had to deal with the kinds of struggles parents have to cope with today here in the west"
    -People have always been the same and I would dare say that the same problems people have in raising children are the same now as they would be in any other time and place in history. My wife is not Buddhist so any teaching in this regard comes from me. My children are 4 and 6 years of age. I have gone over parts of the Four Noble Truths, Karma/cause and effect, the Three Seals of Existence-relating these to them in ways they can understand. I have done a little meditation with them. Being compassionate, interested in their lives, open, being willing to listen and being patient are very important. As in all things when you take self out of the picture you have so much more room for love and understanding.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Buddha Dharma is the normal thing in our home. The kid has learned the Four Noble Truths, and respect for good conduct in practitioners we know.

He knows there is such a thing as improper behavior, but no such thing as an improper feeling. He has been taught that "awareness" (yes it is a reification, but ya gotta start somewhere) is primary to all his thoughts and feelings and "the sun shines on the just and the unjust alike"

Because of practice we have been able to come through hard times, illness, and so forth with no expectations and plenty of enjoyment of each others companionship.

...........of course the kid still drives me nuts sometimes ..... rotten brat.:D
  • edited May 2010
    :)

I dont cope with kids....

KIDS COPE WITH ME!!!!!!

:grr:
  • edited May 2010

KIDS COPE WITH ME!!!!!!

LOL, I love it. :cool:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

KIDS COPE WITH ME!!!!!!

:viking:
  • edited May 2010
    I used to regularly attend two Buddhist centres over a number of years and the children brought along with parents seemed well balanced and intelligent. I didn't notice their parents or anyone else having huge problems with them.

• edited May 2010
    Having been a schoolteacher for many years I would say that children and teenagers, especially in city environments, are vunerable to all kinds of outside influences.

Children can also be victims of poor parenting skills. Some parents have many personal difficulties and emotional problems themselves so that the home environment isn't necessarily a secure and loving one.

The Buddha gave some advice for lay practitioners in DN 31

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Rain wrote: »
    I personally recognized years ago I am not fit to be a parent, and have chosen to be child-free, so I'm just glad it's one thing I do not have to concern myself with. I do not like children. I deal with them by keeping my distance :P

Is it that you don't like kids.... or the way they've been brought up?
    Is it how they behave, or how they've been conditioned asnd influenced to behave?

See, I was of the opinion some time ago, that I don't like kids - in spite of having 2 of my own....
    But I came to gradually understand that it wasn't the kids that drove me nuts, or made me frustrated.
    it was the behaviour pattern either inherited or imposed upon them by their own personal environment and upbringing.....

I've actually met some kids that are absolutely wonderful little guys (and gals).
    friendly, polite, bright, genial, well-behaved and pleasant.
    (Running a small bistro/cafe, you get to met quite a cross-section of society!)

So I think it's a question of raising your children in such a way as to avoid engendering those antagonistic feelings in others.

my ex-husband's aunt came to visit us one day, when my eldest was around 4 years of age. She and her husband did not have children, through personal choice.
    But as they were leaving, she turned to me and said:
    "I think your daughter is such a lovely, delightful, bright and dear little thing. I expect it's got something to do with the way you've brought her up".

This was over 22 years ago.
    I have never forgotten it, such was the impact.
    Now, whenever I meet children of a similar nature, I make sure I say the same thing to their parents.

Bringing up children well, in the environment we have shaped for them today, is challenging. When some people seem to "get it right", I think they deserve to know that.
  • edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Is it that you don't like kids.... or the way they've been brought up?
    Is it how they behave, or how they've been conditioned asnd influenced to behave?

This is not really the thread for an in-depth discussion of why I have chosen not to have children :) And it would end up being one as the reasons are far more complicated than you've put forward in these few questions.

We've already chosen our course of action (Sterilization) in accordance with our choice, so that's that. It's just a choice like any other. Some people don't get a dog, some don't get a cat.. we chose not to have children. But the person who chose not to get a dog won't be interrogated ;) (edit: not that you were intending to, I'm sure -- others do, though).

Namaste <3
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    we chose not to have children.

You didn't want one of these? Lol :D

1_08_Cute_Kids.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    Hell no :D

16436_235586857784_125656057784_4171017_4092082_n.jpg
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    sad-baby.jpg
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    This is not really the thread for an in-depth discussion of why I have chosen not to have children :) And it would end up being one as the reasons are far more complicated than you've put forward in these few questions.

We've already chosen our course of action (Sterilization) in accordance with our choice, so that's that. It's just a choice like any other. Some people don't get a dog, some don't get a cat.. we chose not to have children. But the person who chose not to get a dog won't be interrogated ;) (edit: not that you were intending to, I'm sure -- others do, though).

Namaste <3
    I completely agree with you, and thank you, you're quite right; my comments were certainly neither intended as a challenge, nor an investigation into your reasoning, which by the sound of it, is both considered and absolutely right for you.
    For my part, I am merely pointing out that what I had thought was a general dislike, was actually a more specific dislike, but in a different direction!
  • edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    sad-baby.jpg

I almost spit out my food laughing when I saw this one :lol:
    federica wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, and thank you, you're quite right; my comments were certainly neither intended as a challenge, nor an investigation into your reasoning, which by the sound of it, is both considered and absolutely right for you.
    For my part, I am merely pointing out that what I had thought was a general dislike, was actually a more specific dislike, but in a different direction!

I'm most likely somewhat over-sensitive to people's questions about it. I spent a lot of time as a Christian being chastised for my choice, being against the will of God, thus I am "broken".

I can see the point of your post though :) For me there are a lot of deep-rooted issues that make me an unsuitable parent. Placing a child in my care I would consider an actual danger. I wouldn't even offer to baby-sit. We've discussed the potential of fostering down the road should the collection of circumstances/reasons ever change for the better.

I have a cat though! :lol: I don't think he counts ;)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "I wonder if anyone in history has had to deal with the kinds of struggles parents have to cope with today here in the west"
    -People have always been the same and I would dare say that the same problems people have in raising children are the same now as they would be in any other time and place in history.

I think most people who have been around long enough know this is not true. There are so many differences. Society has changed so much over the last 50 years, it is difficult to fathom. Children have been ceded a much different place in families than they had years ago. Divorce rates have soared, the human rights movement has made significant changes. It is a very much different world these children live in. Then it is further complicated by culture.

Beliefs have also changed, which may explain why there are so many problems. Some people hold onto principles that no longer work. A few guiding principles which have pretty much gone by the board include "children should be seen and not heard" and "a man's home is his castle". Up until fairly recently (60s), people used to actually parent according to principles such as these. Believe me, if you guided your parenting to principles such as these, parenting may very well be a painful experience for you.

Namaste
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited May 2010
    How do Buddhists cope with kids?

I guess "by beating them" isn't really the right answer, is it? :) (kidding!)

Mtns
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    A parenting challenge of today... I deleted my son's youtube account this morning. He had been exchanging videos about games, "Zelda" and the like, along with his own creative experiments. However when we looked at his messages today, there were several that looked clearly like adults posing as kids and they appeared to be fishing. Our kid had no idea. It is a great medium for little filmakers to exchange ideas and we want to encourage him to connect, but it requires strict safeguards.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2010
    A good book for Buddhist mothers in particular is a series by Sarah Napthali - Buddhism for Mothers, Buddhism for Mothers with Lingering Questions along with several other books. I found them invaluable when Mini me was younger.

I have tried to instill the NEP and explain the Four Noble Truths to her at her age level (8). I consider myself very lucky in that she is by default a very empathetic and gentle child. She has ALWAYS hated killing any creature - we save ants, spiders etc. But like many have stated on here, I don't see a massive difference between raising children in the west as opposed to the east. I have had my moments with my daughter. But I consider my daughter my greatest Buddhist teacher mostly :)

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    children will be our sucessors for Buddha Dharma, at some time ahead we have to pass the noble banner to them, they are our future Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, come to earth to allow us to practice our cultivation better. I treat them with greatest respect from their persepctive of their Buddha nature .
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I don't have any of my own, but I have had the pleasure of watching others' kids grow up in a Dharma environment. They have not all had trouble free lives (one actually became a heroin addict), but for the most part they are noticeably different from their peers in that they are much more aware of how they impact the world and the part they play in it. I can see a positive effect of their Buddhist experience in their lives. Usually it is very clear that the ones with problems have them because of poor parenting skills on the part of their parents rather than what they have learned from Buddhism. Even the one with the addiction problem has a soft, sweet side that is very different from what one might expect from someone in that situation. So I would say that while it is important to present children with Buddhist teachings and guidance, the parents remain the biggest influence on their lives.

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    With kids its never what you teach them, its who you are. They learn by the love they experience from you, not the principles they are taught. Studies are unanimous that schooling makes so little difference to a child compared to the dynamics in the family. If you practice loving-kindness (i.e. are empathic and kind) you will never go wrong. The biggest impact Buddhism can have on your children is the impact it has on making you more loving and kind.

Love cannot be learned, it can only be experienced.
  • edited May 2010
    "Some illusions are bigger than others". For me that is true for most people who practice Buddhism and have children. I am a father of two. They are 34 and 32 years old now. I love them deeply. When they were young and teenagers, if they were in trouble of any kind, i was concerned/upset and tried my best to take care of their "problems". Now, not so much....they are both married and have children. i know, i'm a grandpa....:)
    One of the monks here has a child that is recently married and they have a 3 year old daughter. They often visit, and occasionally she baby sits her grandchild here in the monastery.
    One of the monks left here to have a child with his partner, and they live about 15 miles from here. They visit here often, and bring their 4 year old daughter with them.
    So in my experience, children are a necessary "distraction" from having a free and empty mind. :) They need our attention and will find ways to get it. They interrupt our personal wishes because they demand attention. Which is natural, and at times quite frustrating. It seems that for me that "guiding" them is much better and causes less strife than controlling them/"lording it over them". Of course every child is different, which makes the whole subject very difficult for the simple one line response. But, they definitely worth the distractions, worry, and bonding, and joy that they inevitably bring parents.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I don't have any kids myself, and I have vowed to never have any, because I believe I'm not fit to be a parent (this is beside the point), but I DO have a nephew that lives with me, and I agree that sometimes, kids can really test your patience and dealing with them and their apparent "instability" of character, sounds like a very useful way to practice mindfulness, calmness and stillness of mind and the equanimity Buddhism teaches us.

I think there may not be too many differences between the way a kid is raised in the East or the Western world nowadays, but I do believe that some eastern countries, do emphasize to a great degree that you should pay the utmost respect to your elders and your parents, and this of course affects the behavior of children and young adults in a huge way.

I think we in the western world, would do well in respecting our elders a lil more. Not necessarily to the exaggerated degree from some eastern countries, but a bit more wouldn't hurt.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited May 2010
    bagg wrote: »
    With kids its never what you teach them, its who you are. They learn by the love they experience from you, not the principles they are taught. Studies are unanimous that schooling makes so little difference to a child compared to the dynamics in the family. If you practice loving-kindness (i.e. are empathic and kind) you will never go wrong. The biggest impact Buddhism can have on your children is the impact it has on making you more loving and kind.

Love cannot be learned, it can only be experienced.
    Yes !! Wise words !!

:bigclap:
  • edited May 2010
    I have a 12 (nearly 13) yr old son, I think it gets easier as they get older. I've never been heavily involved in Buddhism, mostly on the fringes :) But I've always treated my son with respect (or tried to when he was young and I was really young myself when he was born). I always try to show him to try and think of other people and what they might be going through, be kind to others, and mindful, have respect for people older than you and just live your life without being hurtful to others - I've lived like that being hurt and doing hurt and its not fun - and just hope for the best :cool: