Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How enlightened are you and how enlightened do you want to be?

thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
edited June 2010 in General Banter
Hi

I just made a joke in another post about ranking one's enlightenment from 0 to 10.

Then it struck me that we could also rank how enlightened we want to be in this life, again on a scale of 0 to 10, which really is a more interesting number.

So, the singular purpose of this thread, only for those who want to do it - just for the fun of it, and certainly not for naysayers and dogma dishers and absolutly not for the over serious....

How enlightened are you now and how enlightened do you want to be(0-10)?

me 5,5.9

namaste!:)

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'm 11 out of 10, as you already know. But I think I want to be 4 out of 10, because you are a high 5, so that would make me way more humble than you without having to be a clueless 1 or 2.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I'm 10 out of 10, as you already know. But I think I want to be 4 out of 10, because you are a high 5, so that would make me way more humble than you without having to be a clueless 1 or 2.

Actually I think I was being over ambitious with the high five, I am probably a low to medium five, say, 5.2.

If you were a 4 rather than your current 10 I think we would peobably get it on more, spiritually speaking. I guess the fastest way to drop from a 10 to a 4 is to watch more TV. Good luck coming down!

namaste!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This started off as a perfectly legit serious Dhamma discussion but now it is just getting silly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCpYgd338U
    edited May 2010
    This started off as a perfectly legit serious Dhamma discussion but now it is just getting silly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCpYgd338U

You started the silly with your predictable 11, I was trying to be light-hearted. geepers... lighten up and maybe answer the question seriously, how enlightened do you really think you are right now?

I think I am a five, I think based just on my considerations, that anyone who gets the four noble truths and dependent origination and tries to practice the path diligently would be a five.

I imagine based on reading that there are people here who's understanding and experience is greater than mine, so they would be higher... and so on.

So again, hows about you?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If you want a somewhat serious answer (although what I'm about to say is still completely dubious) then:

If a blade of grass were 1 out of 10 then I am probably 9 out of 10 enlightened.

Compared to a Buddha (10) I am probably not even 1 out of 10.

As far as "getting" the Four Noble Truths, perhaps you should clarify what you mean.

Anyone who picks up a book on Buddhism and has a bit of a chat on an online forum can "get it" pretty easily - Pali scholars may "get" (i.e. understand intellectually) the Four Noble Truths better than most people alive today, but does that mean their actions of body, speech and mind are any more skilful for it? Maybe, maybe not.

Or do you mean seeing directly the Four Noble Truths and having established Right View when you say "get the Four Noble Truths" (i.e. a Stream-Enterer). In that case that is pretty close to enlightenment (at most only 7 more lifetimes, which is nothing compared to the "countless lifetimes" we have already spent in Samsara) so I'd say Stream Enterers are 9.9999999999999999999/10 enlightened.

So, because of the above reasons (and the fact that grading how enlightened we are encourages conceit) I can't see how the whole "how enlightened are you on a scale of 1-10?" question can be taken seriously.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I really don't know...
    edited May 2010
    If you want a somewhat serious answer (although what I'm about to say is still completely dubious) then:

If a blade of grass were 1 out of 10 then I am probably 9 out of 10 enlightened.

Compared to a Buddha (10) I am probably not even 1 out of 10.

I would say no, that's not in the spirit of the game, 10 is your maximum possible level of enlightenment. it isn't relative outside of you:)
    As far as "getting" the Four Noble Truths, perhaps you should clarify what you mean.

Well understanding why they are true (annica and anataman and dukka) and understanding why the noble Eightfold path is the supreme - though not only - method for suffering reduction and increasing nonself illumination:)

Of course, this involves an understanding of all other core dharmic concepts like karma, DO, aggregate mind...

Dharma aint rocket science and it aint majic.

Anyone who picks up a book on Buddhism and has a bit of a chat on an online forum can "get it" pretty easily - Pali scholars may "get" (i.e. understand intellectually) the Four Noble Truths better than most people alive today, but does that mean their actions of body, speech and mind are any more skilful for it? Maybe, maybe not.

No, its self limiting in fact.If one doesnt, for example, appreciate the moral aspect of the path, and understand why it is like that, then they cant really be said to understand the four noble truths. the same with any ofther aspect.

Or do you mean seeing directly the Four Noble Truths and having established Right View when you say "get the Four Noble Truths" (i.e. a Stream-Enterer).

Maybe that interpretation is wrong? maybe "stream enterer" means one who understands that all reality is is a stream of interconnected changes, nothing more, and thus can live their life fully at peace in that stream of inevitable, empty change?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    I would say no, that's not in the spirit of the game, 10 is your maximum possible level of enlightenment. it isn't relative outside of you:)

How can we measure at all? We might know we are progressing in Dhamma but how can we quantify by how much, compared to what starting point, how do we know how far we have to go?
    In the Gradual Sayings (Vol. IV, pp. 83-84), the Buddha gives an analogy of the wearing down of the carpenter's ax handle to illustrate how the mental impurities are to be gradually worn away. Even though the woodcutter cannot say, "This much of the handle was rubbed off today, this much last week," it is clear to him that slowly, over time, the handle is being destroyed. Similarly, a meditator who has a good guide and who constantly attempts to understand the Four Noble Truths and to live in accordance with the Noble Eightfold Path, will gradually eliminate his defilements, even though the steps in the process are imperceptible. Even the Buddha declined to predict the amount of time that will elapse before the final goal is reached. This is conditioned by many interacting factors, such as the good and bad kamma built up in the past and the amount of effort put forth now and in the future. Whether it takes us millions of more lifetimes or a week, we will be sustained in our efforts by the faith that perfection of morality, concentration and wisdom will bring utter detachment and freedom from all suffering.

"Inspiration from Enlightened Nuns", by Susan Elbaum Jootla. Access to Insight, May 26, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/jootla/wheel349.html
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Can't do it, sorry. Yuck. But it is possible to say there is less suffering today than before, more peace in the midst of things. These are the ordinary concrete benefits of practice that most people find.
    edited May 2010
    Can't do it, sorry. Yuck. But it is possible to say there is less suffering today than before, more peace in the midst of things. These are the ordinary concrete benefits of practice that most people find.

Ok, so about a 7 then, thanks:)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    i think im a 3.
    and think i'll be a 8-9 eventually, unless i die before getting there.

but this is very personnal, a 2 is a 8 for another person. Would be interesting to actually create a proper chart based on certain events that happen when going through meditation.

Like let say the Jhanas, if you have experienced the first jhana, this could be a 2.
    If you have experienced the 4th Jhana it could be a 6...
    edited May 2010
    well...... Ok. I have achieved what is called in the (mumble mumble) Sutra "the Abode of Enormous Humility". With this attainment my humility is so vast, so incomprehensibly pure, that my presence can instantly turn sour milk fresh.

...but I don't like to talk about it (blush).
  • edited May 2010
    I would say I am enlightened at the rate of 3.5/10. Until my holiday last week I would have given myself 3/10.

What happened?

I went to Sicily. The people there live in countryside so beautiful that one place I saw made me cry and I was rooted to the spot. I couln't believe
    how beautiful it was. Bizarrely perhaps.

But then, to balance the beauty the was Etna. 3500 metres high, covered in snow and presiding over things like an old, mute, dictator.

I suffer from acute anxiety and I am someone who always wants to control everything. I realised in that harsh and amazing landscape I control absolutely nothing in life; not me not others and not nature.

Nature taught me a lesson last week. So now I qualify for 3.5 out of 10 :)

How much I'd like to rate... I want to say what a brilliantly phrased question.

I also want to say I haven't a clue ;-)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Wait a minute ... there are DEGREES of enlightenment? I always thought you either were or weren't, sort of like being awake or being asleep.

I remember reading in a book on the life of the Buddha (sorry, don't remember the author, but I remember the information very well) ... the Buddha had attained samadhi in meditation, but it did not last once he stopped meditating. Therefore, samadhi could not be the Truth, because once one has known the Truth they cannot "un-know" it.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Wait a minute ... there are DEGREES of enlightenment? I always thought you either were or weren't, sort of like being awake or being asleep.
    there are progress on the path; i believe the OP meant to say, how close ar you to supreme enlightenment.

btw about these for a scale?:
    The Sixteen Stages of Insight

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/sixteen.html
    ps: read the "Note to the reader" before reading further as it contain a warning"
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010

From the diamond sutra:

"What do you think, Subhuti? Is it possible to grasp the Tathagata by means of bodily signs?"

"No, World-Honored One. When the Tathagata speaks of bodily signs, there are no signs being talked about."

The Buddha said to Subhuti, "In a place where there is something that can be distinguished by signs, in that place there is deception. If you can see the signless nature of signs, then you can see the Tathagata."
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Can't do it, sorry. Yuck.

Yuck! Classic and I couldn't agree more. Alright boys, lets pull out the johnsons and see which is longest. Whoohoo!
    edited May 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    So, the singular purpose of this thread, only for those who want to do it - just for the fun of it, and certainly not for naysayers and dogma dishers and absolutly not for the over serious...

Yawn.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    bunch of party poopers!! :p

I know it can easily sound like a childish thing but actually i think it can possibly be an okay thing to do if you don't judge it too fast ;)...

I think after getting some benefit out of your practice, it is possible to start thinking about how great you did and how much better off you are compared to where you have been... forgetting how much farther you can go, and perhaps slacking off a bit and slowly going back to your old habits...

Couldn't this be a humbling experience instead of a competition?

or not :)
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yesterday, I was a 4 for most the day, with a moment of 7 sometime in the afternoon. I think I had an 8 after dinner, but I stubbed my toe and went to a 2. Today, I woke up a 5, and made it to 6 before I responded to this post and plummeted to a 1.

Oh well.

Maybe later I'll meditate to 9 to even out my average.

~ AD
    edited May 2010
    Yesterday, I was a 4 for most the day, with a moment of 7 sometime in the afternoon. I think I had an 8 after dinner, but I stubbed my toe and went to a 2. Today, I woke up a 5, and made it to 6 before I responded to this post and plummeted to a 1.

I would imagine, that one thing about even a modicum of enlightenment will bestow is a sense of calmness and peace which, judging by your roller coaster ride yesterday, is not something you quite have yet.

Have you tried St John's Wort?

:D

namaste
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Moving this to general banter.
    By all means have fun, really....
    But 'Buddhism for beginners' really is no place to discuss varying degrees of perfect. :p
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    hmmm... currently... possibly a 1 (perhaps a little less if we're using decimals)... how enlightened do I want to be... probably a 4... anything more would probably only be possible after becoming a monk... I am a simple lay person trying to find my way in life while following a well lit path...
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say I'm a 2 or at most a 3. It changes every day as I do better on some days more than others, but that's about as high as I'd reach.

The 2 points I gave myself, came from at least having FOUND Buddhism and meditation in my lifetime and studying it and trying to apply it to daily life.. The extra point is for actually keeping a regular meditation practice. But I have a lot of work to do in my daily life application of the precepts and Eightfold Path.

As far as how high I'd LIKE to be, I'd say a perfect 10, become a buddha and help others! hahaha, yeah right!
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    don't necessarily need 7 snakes over my head... just want to get off samsara while i still can in this life.
    mucalinda_a075.jpg
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    As far as how high I'd LIKE to be, I'd say a perfect 10, become a buddha and help others! hahaha, yeah right!

Why not? Seriously, why can't you realize what the Buddha realized when he became known as the Buddha? Do you really think its so far from your capabilities? The Buddha was constantly encouraging his disciples saying (things to the effect of) "What I have done, you can do too! Go on! Just do it!" and they did! He was right, thousands of his disciples (just within his lifetime, there have probably been millions since) have become fully enlightened Arahants! Some of these Arahants used to be people of low intelligence, people with physical deformities, lepers, prostitutes, serial killers - I am sure if the Buddha was alive today he'd be telling us the same thing. So, I ask, why not you?
    edited May 2010
    Do you really think its so far from your capabilities?

I DO think it's extremely beyond my reach. I have a hard enough time trying to be normal! Let alone enlightened. Maybe in a future life tho.
    Some of these Arahants used to be people of low intelligence

LOL, I am certainly Arahant material then. This made me laugh out loud but at the same time it's inspiring.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I DO think it's extremely beyond my reach. I have a hard enough time trying to be normal! Let alone enlightened. Maybe in a future life tho.
    i agree with Guyc like i told you before in a pm.

your ability to be "normal" has nothing to do with your potential for enlightenment.

If anything, if you got "lucky" and your brain was conditionned in such a way that you will encounter very little suffering in your life, chances are that you will never grow an interest in spirituality and Buddhism and it will minimize your chances of walking the path.

There are many stories in Buddhism where one, after suffering greatly in his life, got enlighten very fast.
    Because of their deep experiences, their mind were open and ready to recieve the teaching.
    <b><big><big>Patacari</big></big></b>
    <hr width="15%">
    While some stories like the above seem to involve powers particular to one as developed as a Buddha, there are also many instances in which the Buddha’s compassion and love were expressed in the normal, though more than usual, language and action of normal human beings.
    Patacari was the daughter of a banker in the town of Savatthi. When she was grown up, she fell in love with one of her family’s servant. Of course, her family wanted her to amrry someone of her own rank. But when they tried, she ran away with her lover. They married and settled in a hamlet.
    When she was expecting a child, she told her husband she wanted to return to her parents. Since her husband was afraid, so he kept finding reasons not to go. Finally, one day when she was alone, she left word with the neighbours and set out for her parents’ house by herself. When her husband found out, he ran after her. Before she reached Savatthi, she gave birth to a son, so they all returned home to their hamlet together.
    When her second child was due, she once again asked her husband to go with her to her parent, but again she finally set out on her own. Her husband soon followed. On the way, the second child was born. Soon after the birth a great storm came. Paraacari’s husband went to cut sticks and grass to make a shelter. While he was in the jungle, a snake bit him and he died.
    Patacari spent the night alone, tired and wet, lying on the ground hugging her two sons. In the morning she found her husband’s dead body. Filled with sadness, she decided to go to her parents’ house. She came to a flooded river, and because she was weak and tired, could not carry both children across together. So she put the newborn on a pile of leaves on the bank, and carried the older son across. In midstream, she looked back just in time to see a huge hawk swooping down to take her newborn. In her shock, she dropped the older boy, who was carried away by the flood.
    Feeling only grief, she decided to continue on to her parents’ house. When she got to Savatthi, she learned that a fire had broken out in the night, burning the house and its occupants to the ground.
    Patacari lost her mind, and wandering around in circles, near naked. People drove her from their doors, until one day she arrived in Jetavana, where the Buddha was preaching the dhamma. The people around him tried to stop her from coming close, but the Buddha called her to him and talked to her. With the power of his gentleness and compassion, she got her mind back, and sat and listened to the Buddha. A man threw her his robe, and she put it on and drew closer to the Buddha. She worshipped at his feet, and told him her story. She begged for his help. He consoled her, and made her see that death comes to everyone. Then he taught her the highest truths of his teaching. When the Buddha had finished speaking, Patacari became a sotapanna and asked to be ordained as a Bhikkhuni. The Buddha accepted her.
    One day, while washing her feet, she noticed how the water trickled, sometimes a short distance, and sometimes further.
    She thought, just in this way do all people die, in childhood, in middle age, or old age. She became an arahat, through the compassion of the Buddha. Later she became a great teacher, and many women suffering from grief went to her for guidance and consolation. The Buddha declared her the best among the nuns who knew the Vinaya. (20)
  • edited May 2010
    I think, we are living in a time that is very different from Buddah's. It is no more enough for only Buddhists to be released from desires. The entire society has to be shifted toward Buddhist ideals, otherwise we will not able to enjoy our Nirvana. I want others living in our society to be enlightened as well. This is how I hope the enlightment is.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi Nescafe,
    nescafe wrote: »
    I think, we are living in a time that is very different from Buddah's. It is no more enough for only Buddhists to be released from desires. The entire society has to be shifted toward Buddhist ideals, otherwise we will not able to enjoy our Nirvana. I want others living in our society to be enlightened as well. This is how I hope the enlightment is.

While what you propose is a nice ideal and if you can help bring about a world of enlightened beings then that would be great...but can you? Is it possible to make people want to be enlightened?

In my limited experience as a meditator I know how difficult it can be (definitely the most challenging task I have ever undertaken) to work on purifying my own mind, let alone anyone else's mind. It can be hard enough trying to find out in what way we are deluded, even with the help of good friends, how much harder (dare I say impossible) is it going to be convincing someone else (who thinks their mind is already pure and who has no interest in meditation) that they've got some work to do.

This may sound pessimistic but I would say that it is far more realistic and practical to try to help ourselves first. By freeing our own minds of greed, hatred and delusion we are doing the very best thing to help the world. If we can become fully enlightened in this lifetime then we have the best chance of helping others do the same, and even then, only those who want the help. Even the Buddha was unsuccessful in some of his attempts and he was by far the wisest and most compassionate teacher we have had!

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Having said all this though we can still TRY to help others and we probably should, but lets not expect others to always listen to us or agree with us.

With Metta,

Guy
    edited May 2010
    yeah have to agree with Guy here. To be honest this.. "The entire society has to be shifted toward Buddhist ideals" spooks the bejeesus outta me me. You know what they say about the road to hell. Take care of your own mind.
    edited May 2010
    To be honest this.. "The entire society has to be shifted toward Buddhist ideals" spooks the bejeesus outta me me. You know what they say about the road to hell. Take care of your own mind.

I agree with you here. This sounds more like the Christian mindset of trying to convert everyone they lay eyes upon. Not for me and this is one of the reasons I found Buddhism so different and refreshing. Nobody ever tried or I haven't even heard of a Buddhist trying to convert others with that same amount of pressure and lack of respect for personal space and individuallity as Christians do.
  • edited June 2010
    Hm, but, Do not you think that Buddhist enlightment should form a part of human right? I mean, all people have to be granted to persuit the enlightment if they want, and this right should be inscribed into the law. What do you think?
    edited June 2010
    yeah have to agree with Guy here. To be honest this.. "The entire society has to be shifted toward Buddhist ideals" spooks the bejeesus outta me me. You know what they say about the road to hell. Take care of your own mind.

If "Buddhist ideals" mean doctrine and telling people what to think and what the Buddha taught, I agree.

if it means teaching the four noble truths and "question everything be your own light" I cant think of a better thing for humanity....
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Nescafe,
    Hm, but, Do not you think that Buddhist enlightment should form a part of human right? I mean, all people have to be granted to persuit the enlightment if they want, and this right should be inscribed into the law. What do you think?
    If they want...yes, most definitely.

Religious freedom is important. I think individuals should have the right to pursue whatever religion or spiritual path they choose and I also think this should include the right to be agnostic or atheist. This is the case where I live in Australia. If you want to be Buddhist or even become a monk or a nun you have the right to do so. Not everyone wants to follow this path though and I respect their right to follow whatever religious path (or lack thereof) they choose to so long as it does not interfere with anyone else's basic human rights.

There is a tendency when we are new to something, especially something as powerful as the teachings of the Buddha, to become very obsessed about it. There is nothing inherently wrong with being obsessed about Dhamma, I'd even say its potentially very useful, but it can become a problem if that obsession gives us tunnel vision. To say that one path is what everyone should do, and to try to make that part of the law, simply because it makes sense to us is dogmatic and leads to all kinds of problems which are visible in the world today.

So, to summarise, it is wonderful to be enthusiastic about the Dhamma, but lets be careful not to become religious zealots.

With Metta,

Guy
  • edited June 2010
    'Am' and 'Want To Be' Enlightened on a scale of 1 to 10? There's a real sticky question, as to conceive of a number on the scale is to know how far away you are from the unbound. ;) Where abstractions cease, there we find peace.

So instead I'll pass along a way I think about enlightenment. Enlightenment can be of complete liberation in the Buddhist way, or it can be the level of self-centered action, or selfishness. Those who act in selfless fashion, we remember as saints (Jesus, Buddha).....those who are completely selfish, as something quite else (Hitler). Most of us are 'in between' these extremes of 'self'.

The thought arose 'It is not what you believe, but what you do'; whether you believe there are people in the world, or that there is a God at work, or that reality is empty.....

There is a very compassionate and selfless Christian woman that I know that is far more enlightened in deed than I have ever been. It doesn't matter if I think she may not have the same grasp of reality, but only what she 'does', or her karma that actually has purpose to create better conditions outside of the sole aggregates that comprise the body. So.....I want to be enlightened in that way, I guess to finally answer the question after all. :)

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Javelin,
    Javelin wrote: »
    Those who act in selfless fashion, we remember as saints (Jesus, Buddha).....those who are completely selfish, as something quite else (Hitler). Most of us are 'in between' these extremes of 'self'.

Is Hitler completely selfish?

One thing I have learnt from Ajahn Brahm is that there is a huge difference between calling a person selfish (or whatever else you want to call them) and calling their actions (of body, speech, mind) selfish. The former implies that the entire being is a certain way, whether good or bad, and that's that, end of story. The latter is much more true to reality. Even Angulimala, after he met the Buddha, stopped killing people, totally reformed and became one of the Arahants.
    The Mother

"When your mother has grown older,
    When her dear, faithful eyes
    no longer see life as they once did,
    When her feet, grown tired,
    No longer want to carry her as she walks -

Then lend her your arm in support,
    Escort her with happy pleasure.
    The hour will come when, weeping, you
    Must accompany her on her final walk.

And if she asks you something,
    Then give her an answer.
    And if she asks again, then speak!
    And if she asks yet again, respond to her,
    Not impatiently, but with gentle calm.

And if she cannot understand you properly
    Explain all to her happily.
    The hour will come, the bitter hour,
    When her mouth asks for nothing more."

Adolf Hitler, 1923.

How enlightened, on a scale of 1 - 10, is the author of this beautiful poem?

With Metta,

Guy
  • edited June 2010
    One could help people on a Buddhist forum and then go out and slaughter everyone at the mall. :)

The examples were just examples. The only thing it was all meant to get across is 'It is not what you believe [or think], but what you do.' (that matters).

A man who is born in the woods, interacts only with the plants and wildlife in the forest, and dies.....has almost not lived at all. Their body will decompose, giving food to the forest insects/animals, food to the plant life, perhaps other materials.....and what of all they have thought or believed about life? Where has that now gone? In 2500 years, will people still remember his name or be affected by him?

There is still a stream that is 'of' the aggregates, that life and change that can come of the aggregates transforming, but the deeds that affect that which is 'external' to the aggregates carry far, far greater weight.

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Definitely, good point.
  • edited June 2010
    1. 3
    2. 2,000,003
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    How enlightened are you now: 10
    How enlightened do you want to be: 0

:lol:
  • edited June 2010
    heh heh alright Arie...that's the ticket!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    nescafe wrote: »
    Hi nescafe,

I can certainly see where you're coming from. Spiritual development would seem to be a fundamental right for all individuals.

The problem is that we are all at different stages of spiritual evolution. Many humans won't want, much less be able, to lead more spiritual lives. Many humans are far too concerned with the basic daily struggle for survival and don't have the luxury of engaging in spiritual development.

But the biggest obstacle, as others pointed out, to equal societal spiritual evolution is the fact that each individual only has control over their own mind and no control whatsoever over the mind of anyone else. And this is exactly as it should be.

As far as making it a part of law, many countries already have laws protecting religious freedom which is essential for any just society, as you know. But the rest is up to the individual.

The world is at it is. We must do what's in our power to make it a better, more just place. At the same time we must learn to accept it as it is and understand that as unjust, cruel, and brutal as it so often is, it is just this kind of environment that will spur some humans to find solutions to their suffering. Things are just as they are. As Ajahn Chah would say, why would we expect things to be any different? :)

As for the original question, I really have no idea about the first half but as far as the second half goes, I want to be become fully enlightened and I'm going to do everything in my power to become so. I'm sick of suffering. I'm sick of not being able to help myself or my fellow human. I want major, fundamental change no matter how long it takes me.