Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reason for picking the name you have on here...

edited March 2006 in General Banter
Just curious...what was everyone's reason for picking their username on this forum? We have some interesting ones, so I am just being nosey! :)

Mine is somewhat obvious......I do Yoga and I am a mommy, but the reason I chose "YogaMama" as my username is because doing Yoga is what led me to Buddhism. And the "mama" part...well, I am just so proud to be a mommy!

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    "B'reshit bara' elohim et hashamayim..." -- "In the beginning God created the heavens..."

My children,

It is my idea that conditioned things are unequally equal.

(Unequal because there are distinct differences in the size, shape, make-up, and characteristics of things [i.e. a sun is unlike a planet, a man is not exactly like a woman, a bird is different from a squirrel, etc.]. They are equal in the fact that all conditioned things are made of the same building blocks, matter, and have their place in the chain of causation.)

The Elohim implant in us the teaching that conditioned things are equally unequal.

(Equal in the fact that everything is separate. They create and we are the created. Unequal in the fact that they claim to be unconditioned while we are merely conditioned phenomena expressing their divine existence [i.e. we are here for "God" to know "Himself"].)

We are the Elohim, and they are us. It is my idea that the Elohim are just as afraid of the unknown as we are. To hide the Truth, they think, will keep us with them. They are afraid of the True Unconditioned.

We are also afraid of this unconditioned. We play along in this game and hide the Truth from ourselves as well. Avijja (ignorance) does not rise on its own. One of the causes of avijja is our own bhaya (fear). We do not understand the Unconditioned for what it is.

The Unconditioned is not the separating annihilation that they/we fear. It is the freedom from even the subtlest stresses and limitations of existence in space and time.

.....are you buying any of this yet?

In the Gnostic view "God" is the True Unconditioned. What rules this material plane is not "God", but an abortion of Sophia (wisdom):
    And the Sophia of the Epinoia, being an aeon, conceived a thought from herself and the conception of the invisible Spirit and foreknowledge. She wanted to bring forth a likeness out of herself without the consent of the Spirit, - he had not approved - and without her consort, and without his consideration. And though the person of her maleness had not approved, and she had not found her agreement, and she had thought without the consent of the Spirit and the knowledge of her agreement, (yet) she brought forth. And because of the invincible power which is in her, her thought did not remain idle, and something came out of her which was imperfect and different from her appearance, because she had created it without her consort. And it was dissimilar to the likeness of its mother, for it has another form. - Apocryphon of John

So, through gnosis (knowledge) they believed we can have an enlightenment to the Truth and reclaim our place with/in the Unconditioned. It sounds strangely similar to a what a Buddhist style of Christianity might be like, if such a wisdom tradition were to impregnate a theistic mysticism. If I were to be Christian, I would most certainly choose to be a Gnostic.

Either I am giving you a hint of truth, or I am continuing this charade of mis-information.

In conclusion, I must state that I really do not have much of a point to this. I am talking pure nonsense. I cannot believe you even read it this far. That is the power of the Elohim! Either way believe what you want, but the truth is out there.....or is in here? Mwuhahahahahahaha!

You---> :bowdown:

Me ---> :PWNED:

You---> :wtf:

Me ---> :rarr:

You---> :grr:

Me ---> :rockon:

You---> :confused:

:)
  • edited September 2005
    Elohim = CRAZY
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    My mother called me Simon and I chose to be a pilgrim.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Me = :crazy:

:lol:

The real answer is:

I just happened to be reading a lot about Jewish mysticism at the time I signed up. I was reading the Zohar, the Bahir, the Sefer Yetzirah, God is a Verb, and various other Kabbalah-related literature. I find religion a fascinating subject.

Elohim is a name for God in the Hebrew Scriptures, and it's etymology is prehistoric. It appears some 2500 times in the Torah, which is the first five books of the Hebrew Bible (from where the Christian Old Testament originates). Many people have argued that it is a plural name of El ('Sons of El' or 'the gods'.) This gave rise to the belief that Yahweh was one of many such 'Gods', however, others say that the masculine plural's construction is usually singular. Perhaps it was made such to denote respect, or "one God with many attributes"......blah, blah, blah.

Whatever the true meaning and history of said name, I have found it very intriguing. I happened to think it a very appropriate at yet strangely ironic name for a Buddhist forum. ;)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Jason, itself, is a name with wonderful mythic overtones for any European, realting, as it does, to the penetration of the pre-Hellenic Greeks into the Pontus Euxinus (Black Sea) for the first time. Memories of the heroic past.

Mind you, one of our great poets, Les Barker, wrote a poem entitled "Jason and the Arguments":
    Jason was a golden youth
    Who lived in the city of Troy;
    He went in search of the Golden Fleece
    Though he never quite said woy.
    Jason's gang went with him
    When he went off on his wanders;
    He rode a Grecian 2000
    But the rest of the lads had Hondas.
    "It's Jason and the Arguments!"
    "Argonauts! that's what we're called;
    no we're not; yes we are; no we're not;"
    So arguments they were after all.

Jason's parents were vegetarian,
    Voted SDP,
    And had Trojan Horse No Thanks stickers
    On the back of their 2CV.
    But Jason was not like his parents;
    Where they preached love, he would hate;
    he superglued the cat to the record player
    And played it at seventy eight.
    But who are these valiant Greeks,
    Sailing off in a pea-green yacht?
    Jason and the Arguments;
    No it's not; yes it is; no it's not.

They sailed in search of the Golden Fleece
    That shone, as with sun-given rays;
    Sheep are all like that round Sellafield,
    Though it was called something else in those days.
    Through the uncharted Irish Sea,
    They sailed through the night, all alone
    The Isle of Man hasn't got a lighthouse
    'Cos it glows quite enough on its own,
    And who are these valiant Greeks,
    Who navigate by the Pole Star?
    Jason and the Arguments;
    "Yes we are; no we're not; yes we are."

By the light of the Morecambe Bay prawns
    They knew their destination was near;
    And when they saw Cerberus, the three-headed dog;
    "This must be Sellafield; we're here!"
    "Are you sure it's safe?" they asked,
    In the purple light of the bay;
    "Don't worry; it's perfectly safe,"
    Said a spokesman from a long way away.
    They were met by a two-headed maiden
    Herding a four-headed cow
    At a village just south of Workington
    Or Not-workington as they call it now,
    "Welcome to Excremont," she said,
    And very appropriate too;
    "Do you call yourself Jason and the Arguments?"
    Yes, we do; no, we don't; yes, we do."

Though she'd two civil tongues in her heads,
    Jason thought she was two faced;
    She had far more breasts than he could handle
    And her dress had a low-level waist.
    WAre you sure it's safe?" asked Jason,
    Perturbed by the two-headed spinster;
    "Don't worry; it's perfectly safe,"
    Called a voice from the Palace of Westminster;
    "Shepherds never lose their flocks;
    They can see them, lit up, on the peaks,
    And as for market gardening,
    We're famours for our leaks,
    You must face the cross-eyed Cyclops
    Who lives in a cave on the moo."
    The wind was strong as they climbed the hill,
    As they made their way up to his door;
    It was around force 8 on the Windscale,
    Though you mustn't call it that now;
    It's nothing to do with Sellafield
    And neither's the four-headed cow.

The giant fixed them with his baleful stare,
    Which no one seemed to like.
    He said: "I am the Cyclops;
    My friends all call me bike;
    My name is Polyphemus,
    Rocks and boulders I hurl;
    Mr and Mrs Phemus
    Called me Poly 'cos they wanted a girl,"
    Poly wasn't too bright;
    Poly, in fact, was quite dim;
    Which makes it all the more surprising
    They named all those colleges after him.
    He was no match for quick-witted Jason,
    Whose longsword flashed twice in the sky
    The Cyclops' ears lay deaf on the floor
    And his hat fell down over his eye.
    "Nothing can stop us!" cried Jason;
    "Whatever tries, we shall kill!
    What do you say, me brave arguments?"
    "Yes, we will; no, we won't; yes, we will!"

The arguments were spoiling for a fight;
    It seemed nothing could stand 'gainst their wrath
    Until they saw the terrible beast
    That lay, like a curse, in their path.
    The fearsome seven-headed Nolan
    Guarded the Golden Fleece;
    Jason looked for an argument;
    They were suddenly halfway to Greece.
    The seven-headed singing Nolan,
    A sight no man can face;
    And whenever one head got married,
    Two more grew in it's place.
    The ultimate fast breeder;
    Jason called it a day.
    "It's nothing to do with Sellafield."
    Said a voice from a long way away.

The mythology may be all wrong but I laughed so loud when I first heard Les that I actually fell off my chair. I do recognise, however, that it is very British in its references.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I had to think long and hard about mine..... :lol:
  • edited September 2005
    Me too :-/
  • edited September 2005
    THE DREAMING TREE IS A FAVORITE SONG OF MINE THAT WAS PLAYING WHEN I FELL IN LOVE WITH MY WIFE AT A DAVE MATTHEWS CONCERT.....lyrics are as follows

Standing here
    The old man said to me
    Long before these crowded streets
    Here stood my dreaming tree
    Below it he would sit
    For hours at a time
    Now progress takes away
    What forever took to find
    Now he's falling hard
    He feels the falling dark
    How he longs to be
    Beneath his dreaming tree
    Conquered fear to climb
    A moment froze in time
    When the girl who first he kissed
    Promised him she'd be his
    Remembered mother's words
    There beneath the tree
    No matter what the world
    You'll always be my baby
    Mommy come quick
    The dreaming tree has died
    The air is growing thick
    A fear he cannot hide
    Oh have you no pity
    This thing I do
    I do not deny it
    All through this smile
    As crooked as danger
    I do not deny
    I know in my mind
    I would leave you now
    If I had the strength to
    I would leave you up
    To your own devices
    Will you not talk
    Can you take pity
    I don't ask much
    But won't you speak
    Please
    From the start
    She knew she had it made
    Easy up 'til then
    For sure she'd make the grade
    Adorers came in hordes
    To lay down in her wake
    She gave it all she had
    But treasures slowly fade
    Now she's falling hard
    She feels the fall of dark
    How did this fall apart
    She drinks to fill it up
    A smile of sweetest flowers
    Wilted so and soured
    Black tears stain the cheeks
    That once were so admired
    She thinks when she was small
    There on her father's knee
    How he had promised her
    You'll always be my baby
    Daddy come quick
    I can't find my way home
    There is no place to hide
    Oh if I had the strength
    Take me back
    Save me please
  • edited September 2005
    THE DREAMING TREE IS A FAVORITE SONG OF MINE THAT WAS PLAYING WHEN I FELL IN LOVE WITH MY WIFE AT A DAVE MATTHEWS CONCERT.....

Awwwwww! Now that's sweet!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    ....It's my name.... but I'll probably be changing it to my name sometime soon..... :confused: :scratch: :lol:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    It's my band's name.

Just gotta put a "www." at the front of it and a ".com" at the end of it.

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    It's just my name.
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt is a short english version of my Native Name which is Sv-a-yi Ta-wa-di( Translation- Night Hawk)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Ok you are all probably wondering where I got comicallyinsane. Ok here goes. When I was 14 years old I wanted to own a comic book shop. I actually wanted to own a chain across the nation. The name I picked out was Comically Insane. At age 23 I bought a comic shop that I had my first job at and funny enough I got fired from. The girl that owned it at the time bought it from the original owner. She and I worked together there in high school. The funny things is that from time to time I still talk to the owner who fired me. He shops at the same ocmic shop I do here in Vegas. I actually hired him at Dominos about 5 years ago. Funny how things change around. We get along just fine now. LOL Of course all this happenned 12 years ago.
  • edited September 2005
    I picked mine quit by accident. One night as I was contemplating what user name I would choose when I signed up and wishing to appear intelligent I opened up the dictionary and there it was Inchoate-just begun and not fully formed. Perfect as I'm just starting out in Buddhism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Yes thank you Inchoate, I too just looked it up to check the pronunciation...It's In-Ko-Ait.... I see it's the origin of the word 'incoherent' or confused, too.... ;)

Could I borrow it occasionally......? :lol:
  • edited September 2005
    I picked mine because I am new to buddhism hence the name "NirvanaNoob"
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I love kitties. I have three, including that one in the picture, though she's more of daddy's girl. I'll have to show you guys pics of my other two sometime, including MY kitty. Anyways, I kind of see myself as a kitten when it comes to Buddhism - new, very curious and playful.

Dharma because KarmaKitten was actually taken when I was coming up with the name for another service. Not that there's anything wrong about Dharma, either.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited September 2005
    In Japanese:

Bushi- Noble Warrior

no- Possesive particle

Ki- Spirit

So bushinoki= Warrior's spirit

I'm a pacifist by nature, but I'm a martial artist. I have a Westerner's sense of individualism, but I see alot of good in the attitudes and beliefs coming out of the East.
  • edited September 2005
    My surname is Frisby so my friends call me Frizzer (amongst other things!)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Sabine's a really pretty French name. And I'm a obsessive Francophile, so ya. :rockon:
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Ajani Mgo isn't really my real name... Just my online name and self-nicked nick...

I got "Ajani" from some quiz online on what name I'd be suited for... Then MGO comes from my real name Lim Zhong Hao, where m,g,o are the last characters of each word... So Ajani Mgo becomes my nick... And ajani_mgo becomes standard for any Internet account...
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    My username comes from the Star Wars universe, (Like you didn't know!:p ) and was given to me by my wife. When I decided to follow the Buddhist path, she would often say to me in tense situations 'Patience, young padawan!' or 'Be mindful of the moment, padawan.' as affectionate fun, and since I can't speak Pali, Sanskrit or Tibetan, and haven't been given a Dharma name, Padawan seemed to be right on the money for me. It's appropriate, and I'm sure many will understand it- I mean, who hasn't noticed the parallels between Star Wars and Buddhism? ;)
  • edited March 2006
    Mine was simply because I've found that Genryu on it's own is taken in many forums and other places online already, so it's simpler to just put it as I do here.
  • edited March 2006
    Harlan Ellison...one of my favorite writers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    It's my name. My Catholic parents named me after St. Brigid. I use it as often as I can but when it's taken I try it's nicknames; Bridie, Biddy, Bride or Brides (pronounced Breed(s)) or I try some of my own nicknames; Boo, Bird, Birdy or Bid. (Boo is the one most people use.)

I want to be as truthful as I can without compromising security. I would feel like I was pretending if I didn't use it or something close to it. (I don't feel that anyone else is pretending when they use a name different from their given name.)

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    My name is Martin. I work in Norwich, England. Julian of Norwich (a medieval mystic)was my introduction to the mystical tradition in England. I pass her Chapel often.

Martin.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    ::
    Magwang (pronounced Maw-GWONG) is the dharma name given to me by Samu Sunim at the Toronto Zen Centre - it means Polishing & Burnishing. Everyone's names were prefixed with Ma - some people were name Maya and Maitreia - got some laughs!

And no, it doesn't mean large (mag) member (wang)...
    BTW, my bunny avatar represents the human condition: driven by craving to reproduce, we discover the objects of our desire are insubstantial. Repeat.
  • edited March 2006
    Magwang, your new avatar is killing me! LOL.
  • edited March 2006
    Mine is due mainly to do with my job, im an aircraft engineer hence Airmech. Its a little odd using my job as a username but im proud of achieving it.
  • edited March 2006
    I was looking for a new username to use at another site, found this in a latin dictionary meaning small stream or a little water, and liked both the word and the meaning (and liked it enough to use on other sites than just the one I was looking for a username for).
  • edited March 2006
    HH is for..........Christ, who cares anyways.
  • edited March 2006
    LOL! You are a piece of work!
  • edited March 2006
    That''s the sweetest thing you have ever said to me.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    My online nickname is normally MrsArmadillo (just because I like armadillos *shrug*:) )

Threw in a K for good measure, specially for you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    HH,

I want to know. Tell us..... please?

Magwang,

I second what Yogamama said. I love the avatar and I love the meaning. Absolutely hilarious!

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    HH - you know I love ya! Even when you are irritating me!
  • edited March 2006
    "Even when you are irritating me".

Just remember you are just one of the people. Like me, no better no worse. Except when you are wrong.

HH
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    HH,

You mean Yoda is just one of the people that you irritate?

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Err... actually you are completely right BF.
    HH
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Okay I thought mine was reasonably obvious. I am interested in many things particularly Human Biology, Electronics, Medical Imaging (Magnetic Resonance Imaging, nuclear medicine, Xrays etc.) I used to repair and maintain those machines. They are kind of like my babies (LOSER-I know). So I use the moniker, Xrayman.

There is also a double entendre (is that the French word?) it is also to represent or even invoke the idea of being Insightful. Does this make sense?

regards,
    Xrayman
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    None whatsoever.

Just kidding, bro.

Makes all kinds of sense.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    mine is very obvious as to why I chose it. I am still Looking For Answers and will be for a long long time. :)
  • edited March 2006
    Mine is not too difficult. When I arrived here, I was fascinated by medieval times and especially sword fighting. (still am) So I called myself Knight and then since Knights are usually dedicated to something I put of Buddha down to show my dedication to meditation and the path. Thus creating Knight of Buddha. And now recently...Good Sir Knight!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I also like the "Peaceful Warrior" part. It's very Shambhala.
  • edited March 2006
    "Even when you are irritating me".

Just remember you are just one of the people. Like me, no better no worse. Except when you are wrong.

HH

But I'm never wrong. The sooner you learn that, the better we will all get along.
  • edited March 2006
    My name does not mean I'm losing my hair!

It is a play on my name, combining parts of it. Years ago, in high school, I used to kid my friends that I would name my son "Oswald Balder" because it would make a rhyming mess with my last name.

It also echoes the name of a kindly Nordic god, Baldr.
  • edited March 2006
    I am the youngest of 4 and the only girl. With a last name of Sharpe, as children, friends of my brothers used to (and still do) refer to them as 'Sharpie'. I being the girl became, "sharpiegirl"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    LOL!! Sharpigirl, you know what I thought it was?
    This is going to sound silly now but I thought that you being a teacher (grade 1 is it?) that you liked the felt tipped pens called "Sharpies". LOL! I'm an idiot!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    LOL!! Sharpigirl, you know what I thought it was?
    This is going to sound silly now but I thought that you being a teacher (grade 1 is it?) that you liked the felt tipped pens called "Sharpies". LOL! I'm an idiot!

Love,
    Brigid

LOL!! Thanks funny!!!! I love it! Thanks for sharing that!

PS I do indeed have my stash of sharpie pens! and yes, it is first grade....
    I'm in the middle of 'playing' leprechaun! kids are having a blast today! such imaginations!