Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha taught rebirth -- and he meant it!

DaozenDaozen Veteran
edited June 2010 in Philosophy
People, please don't question whether or not Buddha taught rebirth. He did. And he meant it. And NOT just metaphorically, and NOT just as a 'lesser teaching' for those students who couldn't understand the tricky stuff. On the evidence of the suttas, he literally believed that we are reborn after we die.

Keep it real.

Namaste

The Buddha's Words on Kamma (MN 57, 135, 136, 41)
General principles of kamma and rebirth
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel248.html

Brahmans of the Western land (SN 42.6)
The inviolability of rebirth after death according to kamma
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.006.than.html

Lohicca Sutta (DN 12)
On recollecting past lives
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.12.0.than.html

There are MANY more …

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I'm not sure if you have a winning argument there. I guess the first question would be to ask how you definitively know what the Bhudda taught.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I guess the first question would be to ask how you definitively know what the Bhudda taught.
    The suttas are usually a good place to start.
  • edited June 2010
    And you know those are the actual teachings of Buddha how?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    And you know those are the actual teachings of Buddha how?
    It's hard to answer that. If you can't trust the most fundamental scriptures of Buddhism as his teachings, what can you trust as his teachings ..?

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    There are minds that can agree with rebirth in one way, and minds that can agree with it in another. That rebirth is presented both literally and metaphorically is not born of divisiveness, but a method of bringing-together these different minds.

We'll find no harmony in this thread; only conflict.

Namaste
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Javelin:

Whether we believe in rebirth is a potentially divisive debate.

BUT-- whether Buddha taught rebirth should not be divisive. It's not "just my opinion", it's a fact that he did teach this, as the suttas show. Honestly, why is this topic controversial? It's there for any who can read to see.

Namaste
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think the deeper question of this thread is this:

To what extent can we be 'Buddhists' if we find that we cannot accept or experience the reality of certain things that Buddha did teach -- like rebirth. Can we reconcile the two?

I hope people can see the distinction i am making. This thread is NOT about whether rebirth is true. It is about the fact Buddha DID teach it, and as i say above, about how we as Buddhists can live with this fact, whether we believe or not.

Namaste.
  • edited June 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    People, please don't question whether or not Buddha taught rebirth. He did. And he meant it. And NOT just metaphorically, and NOT just as a 'lesser teaching' for those students who couldn't understand the tricky stuff. On the evidence of the suttas, he literally believed that we are reborn after we die.

Nobody doubts whether Buddha taught rebirth. The question is what he meant by rebirth. Since you assert literal rebirth, you violate the precept of non-self.

Buddha makes it clear what he means by rebirth.

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words."

"Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities. Thy heart, O Brahman, is cleaving still to self; thou art anxious about heaven but thou seekest the pleasures of self in heaven, and thus thou canst not see the bliss of truth and the immortality of truth.

"I say to thee: The Blessed One has not come to teach death, but to teach life, and thou discernest not the nature of living and dying. This body will be dissolved and no amount of sacrifice will save it. Therefore, seek thou the life that is of the mind. Where self is, truth cannot be; yet when truth comes, self will disappear.

Kutadanta: "Tell me, O Lord, if there be no atman [soul], how can there be immortality? The activity of the mind passeth, and our thoughts are gone when we have done thinking."

Buddha replied: "Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains."

"Since, then, O bhikkhus, there is no self, there can not be any afterlife of a self. Therefore abandon all thought of self."

Direct Sources: http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg54.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/btg/btg41.htm

**Edit: I have deleted the controversial quote, but please note that the remaining quotes are legitimate.**

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    "There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no ego-entity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words."
    I was especially interested in this quote because you cited Buddhanet. As someone who denies he taught literal rebirth as part of his own teachings, I found it interesting that such an outright denial of literal rebirth could possibly be attributed to the Buddha through the suttas. So I searched Google... but could only find you quoting those words. Then I saw you link to a freakin' comic on Buddhanet which is a story written by some practitioner containing no attributable quotes from the Buddha, only a story of this person's understanding of the Buddha's words... :P

Seriously, please at least show some integrity and make it clear what you're actually quoting, for the sake of not misleading newcomers in their studies...

NOT that I don't think it's a good and proper message... just that, it's not really fair to put quotes around it and say "the Buddha said"...
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Nobody doubts whether Buddha taught rebirth. The question is what he meant by rebirth. Since you assert literal rebirth, you violate the precept of non-self.
    People sometimes state it was all metaphorical, or a 'lesser teaching' he gave to disciples who were not ready for the advanced stuf.

By 'literal rebirth' i didn't mean rebirth of an atman, soul etc. I understand the concept of anatta, and how it relates to rebirth. I simply meant to emphasise that rebirth for Buddha was not just a metaphor, not just something that we experience within this life -- but that he taught we have had an infinite number of previous lives, and that we will have future ones until enlightenment.

I'll also say once again to be clear, it's not much whether you believe/accept rebirth personally (as it happens, i have troubles with it!) but that we must at least accept the fact that Buddha taught it, and not simply pretend Buddhism is whatever we want it to be.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    lol

People say they like choices, but in fact, choices are stressful.

I just would like more rigour about what Buddha actually taught. The replies so far have mainly been talking about talking about rebirth, rather than actually ... talking about it.

At least no one has said Buddha didn't teach rebirth, so i guess maybe we do agree after all.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    People say they like choices, but in fact, choices are stressful.

Fascinating, isn't it?
    I just would like more rigour about what Buddha actually taught.

I can sympathise with that as I have made a similar point quite recently in another thread and I even quoted more suttas than you. :p The thread clocked a respectable 48 replies, after which we arrived at... exactly the same point where we started out.

Just for the record, I did not intend the dharma lite topic as a defence of rebirth, but as an analysis of the cultural paradigms that lead to certain deep-rooted philosophical views about the world. It turned out to be somewhat of a rebirth defence thread, unfortunately.

So, there seem to be these two camps among Western Buddhists, and that is OK, because everyone is free to practice and to believe what suits him/her best.

However, you are certainly right in saying that it would be non-factual to deny the presence (and the importance) of the concept of rebirth in the Pali canon.

I would go even further and admit the word "reincarnation" as being synonymous with rebirth. Deplorably, the Anglo-Saxon world disagrees because reincarnation has often been used in the sense of transmigration, so native English speakers tend to protest despite the etymology of the word. It clearly means "becoming flesh again" and there is no more suggestion of transmigration than in the word "rebirth". Therefore, I pledge that reincarnation should be acquitted of being a bad word in Buddhism, alas, the non-rebirthers disagree, because the word obviously points to literal rebirth.

Ultimately, I don't really care much. Let everyone enjoy his/her favourite dharma cocktail. The important thing is to cultivate morality, mindfulness, compassion, and wisdom on basis of whatever one holds to be true.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    The suttas are wonderful stories. For a brief time, we get to enter another world; a place in ancient India where there's a perfectly wise Buddha sitting serenely in a forest, having all manner of conversation with men, gods, and kings. Through our imagination, the suttas can convey deep psychological truths and be fun to read.

Why can't rebirth be interpreted as either a moment-to-moment re-arising or an event after death, depending on which sutta we're reading? Surely, our imagination has room for both and it's more enjoyable if we let the story do its job, that is, to capture our imagination.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    I was especially interested in this quote because you cited Buddhanet. As someone who denies he taught literal rebirth as part of his own teachings, I found it interesting that such an outright denial of literal rebirth could possibly be attributed to the Buddha through the suttas. So I searched Google... but could only find you quoting those words. Then I saw you link to a freakin' comic on Buddhanet which is a story written by some practitioner containing no attributable quotes from the Buddha, only a story of this person's understanding of the Buddha's words... :P

Seriously, please at least show some integrity and make it clear what you're actually quoting, for the sake of not misleading newcomers in their studies...

NOT that I don't think it's a good and proper message... just that, it's not really fair to put quotes around it and say "the Buddha said"...

I second this.
    Transmetaphysical, if you're going to bandy quotations around, please at least make them scholarly, reliable and from some respectable source.

This is a bit like the song "I danced with a man, who danced with a girl who danced with the Prince of Wales"....

Chinese whispers, anyone.....?

Quotations should come from respected and verifiable sources, not some online comic mouthpiece.....
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010

There is evidence to suggest that he taught rebirth, evidence he was agnostic about it and evidence he taught not rebirth. Each view is compatible with dharma, what is not compatible with Dharma is dogma.

namaste
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I would go even further and admit the word "reincarnation" as being synonymous with rebirth.
    Yes that's right, after all 'rebirth' and 'reincarnation' are purely modern inventions -- there is no distinction in the original sanskrit/pali -- although obviously the Buddhist and Vedic/Hindu theories on the matter are different.
    thickpaper wrote: »
    There is evidence to suggest that he taught rebirth, evidence he was agnostic about it and evidence he taught not rebirth. Each view is compatible with dharma, what is not compatible with Dharma is dogma.
    So you are saying that Buddha was completely inconsistent on one of the major components of his teachings? Why? Any evidence?

Namaste
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    People, please don't question whether or not Buddha taught rebirth.
    When the Buddha declared what he taught, he advised as follows:
    What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering. MN 22
    Now, the Blessed One has said, "Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising." And these things — the five aggregates affected by clinging — are dependently co-arisen. Any desire, embracing, grasping & holding on to these five aggregates is the origination of stress. Any subduing of desire & passion, any abandoning of desire & passion for these five aggregates is the cessation of stress.' MN 28
    And which Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives? 'There are these six elements' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these six media of sensory contact' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these eighteen contemplations [of feeling] for the mind' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. 'There are these Four Noble Truths' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable priests & contemplatives. AN 3.61
    "And what have I taught? 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress': This is what I have taught. And why have I taught these things? Because they are connected with the goal, relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Nibbana. This is why I have taught them. The Simsapa Leaves
    "Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' Ani Sutta
    Then the Blessed One gave the householder Upali the gradual teaching starting with giving gifts, becoming virtuous, about the heavenly states, the dangers of sensuality, the vileness of defiling things and benefits of giving up. Then the Blessed One knew that the mind of the householder Upali was ready, malleable, free of hindrances, lofty and pleased and the Blessed One gave the special message of the Enlightened Ones: Suffering, its arising, its cessation and the path to the cessation of suffering. Like a pure, clean cloth would take a dye evenly. In that same manner, the dustless, stainless eye of the Teaching arose to the householder Upali, seated there itself. Whatever rises has the nature of ceasing. MN 56
    So then, bhikkhus, the holy life is led not for gain, honour and fame, not for the endowment of virtues, not for the endowment of concentration, not for the endowment of knowledges and vision. Bhikkhus, it is for the unshakeable freedom of mind, that is the essence and end of the holy life. MN 29

:)
    edited June 2010
    Lohicca Sutta (DN 12) On recollecting past lives

Recollecting past lives [literally 'past dwellings' or 'homes'] is taught in different ways.

The supramundane meaning is found in the Khajjaniya Sutta.
    "Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"This, monks, is called a disciple of the noble ones who tears down and does not build up; who abandons and does not cling; who discards and does not pull in; who scatters and does not pile up.
    edited June 2010
    If the teachings above are read, it will be found the Buddha's core teachings are not found within them. Instead, they are teaching of morality, as found in each religion. Do bad, go to hell, do go to heaven.
    the evil-doer who goes to hell (or some other low state of birth),
    the evil-doer who goes to heaven,
    the good man who goes to heaven, and
    the good man who goes to hell (or other low birth).
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi DD,

Thanks for the quotes, but they are quite a 'mixed bag', and i'm unsure of your intended message. Can state your point/s in a line or two of your own?

Namaste
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If the teachings above are read, it will be found the Buddha's core teachings are not found within them. Instead, they are teaching of morality, as found in each religion. Do bad, go to hell, do go to heaven.
    Buddha taught that your kamma influences your rebirths, and that when your kamma is finally extinguished, your rebirths will cease. This is the crux of Buddhism; to reach enlightenment and to cease being born again. It couldn't be a more 'core' teaching.
    edited June 2010
    And he meant it. And NOT just metaphorically,

Each person can read the sutta for themself.

The sutta speaks metaphorically.

The mind of the person reappears in an afflictive state. Notice they do not go to 'hell' or 'heaven' but instead experience the pain or pleasure "as in the case" of beings in hell or heaven.

This statement is 'metaphorical' according to the meaning of the word.
    9. "What is dark kamma with dark ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) verbal process (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) mental process (bound up) with affliction. By so doing, he reappears in a world [loka = 'state'] with affliction. When that happens, afflicting contacts touch him. Being touched by these, he feels afflicting feelings entirely painful as in the case of beings in hell. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called dark kamma with dark ripening.

10. "And what is bright kamma with bright ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process not (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) verbal process not (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) mental process not (bound up) with affliction. By doing so, he reappears in a world without affliction. When that happens, unafflicting contacts touch him. Being touched by these, he feels unafflicting feelings entirely pleasant as in the case of the Subhakinha, the gods of Refulgent Glory. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called bright kamma with bright ripening.

:smilec:
    edited June 2010
    I have quoted suttas that clearly expound rebirth. I have explained the connection of kamma and rebirth.

Now let us return to the suttas cited by DaoZen:
    11. "What is dark-and-bright kamma with dark-and-bright ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process both (bound up) with affliction and not (bound up) with affliction... verbal process... mental process both (bound up) with affliction and not (bound up) with affliction. By doing so, he reappears in a world both with and without affliction. When that happens, both afflicting and unafflicting contacts touch him. Being touched by these, he feels afflicting and unafflicting feelings with mingled pleasure and pain as in the case of human beings and some gods and some inhabitants of the states of deprivation. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called dark-and-bright kamma with dark-and-bright ripening.

So which world is the being reborn in above???

Human, heaven or hell???

The Buddha said he reappears experiencing all three worlds.

:eek:
    edited June 2010
    The suttas are 1,000's of pages long. Naturally, not every sutta can contain every teaching!
    A sutta has a purpose.

These suttas about rebirth are for a moral purpose.

I asked you to quote a sutta where rebirth & emptiness are taught together.

Also, please quote a sutta where rebirth & not-self are taught together.

Also, please quote a sutta where rebirth & the three characteristics are taught together.

I am still waiting for a reply.

:coffee:
    edited June 2010
    Now let us return to the suttas cited by DaoZen:
    12. "What is neither-dark-nor-bright kamma with neither-dark-nor-bright ripening that leads to the exhaustion of kamma? As to these (three kinds of kamma), any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is dark with dark ripening, any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is bright with bright ripening, and any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is dark-and bright with dark-and-bright ripening: this is called neither-dark-nor-bright kamma with neither-dark-nor-bright ripening.

DaoZen

In the excerpt above, when & where does the exhaustion of kamma occur?

The sutta states: "any volition in abandoning"...

If so, does this exhaustion of kamma occur here & now???

How can there be volition after death???

:confused:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have always wondered: Why does it matter if the Buddha taught rebirth or not, and why does it matter if it if true or not? Does it really matter?
    edited June 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    I have always wondered: Why does it matter if the Buddha taught rebirth or not, and why does it matter if it if true or not? Does it really matter?
    Personally, all I can say is Buddha taught action & result.

It matters a lot.

Who wants their mind to fall into the state of hell, hungry ghost or an animal state?

edited June 2010
    It's hard to answer that. If you can't trust the most fundamental scriptures of Buddhism as his teachings, what can you trust as his teachings ..?
    One can trust what one realises & verifies for oneself. The Buddha advised:
    24] “Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Teacher is respected by us. We speak as we do out of respect for the Teacher'?” -“No, venerable sir.” - “Knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Recluse says this, and we speak thus at the bidding of the Recluse'?” - “No, venerable sir.” - “Knowing and seeing in this way, would you acknowledge another teacher?” - “No, venerable sir.” - “Knowing and seeing in this way, would you return to the observances, tumultuous debates and auspicious signs of ordinary recluses and brahmins, taking them as the core [of the holy life]?” - “No, venerable sir.” - “Do you speak only of what you have known, seen and understood for yourselves?” - “Yes, venerable sir.”

25] “Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this Dhamma, which is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves. For it was with reference to this that it has been said: ‘Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.'

MN 38

:cool:
    edited June 2010
    It's there for any who can read to see.
    Reading is different from seeing.

Reading is done with the physical eye whereas seeing is done with the spiritual eye (dhamma chakku).
    The middle way discovered by a Perfect One avoids both extremes; it gives vision (cakkhukaraṇī), it gives knowledge and it leads to peace, to direct acquaintance, to discovery, to nibbana.

Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

:om:
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    IMHO,

As most conversations on Rebirth do, I believe this conversation is exceeding the bounds of the Buddhism for Beginners thread...

I have a simple question... Is it possible that the realization of a literal Rebirth might for some come at the tail end of the path to enlightenment as opposed to some for whom it comes at the beginning or even somewhere else along the path...

All this absolutist debate of trying to convince others what is and what isn't seems centered in the ego and of concepts of attachment... When I read threads like this (and this one is rather mild compared to some) it brings images of 2 or more people beating each other around the ears with a stick where the beating will only stop if one party finally says, I give up... you are right...

Buddhism is about the individual path, at least that's what I have come to believe, perhaps I'm wrong...

IMO, discussions like this move us farther from enlightenment and strengthens the grip of ego...

As I've quoted before, the Buddha said:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

If one is to come to believe in any aspect of Buddhism it is only going to happen when they have taken the opportunity to observe and analyze that aspect with reason and found it conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, at which point they will accept it and live up to it... Not because someone continually pounds their point of view into them...
    edited June 2010
    It is about the fact Buddha DID teach it...
    Of course he taught it. We are not physically blind.

However, the Dhamma also advises:
    duve saccāni akkhāsi
    sambuddho vadataṃ varo
    sammutiṃ paramatthañca
    tatiyaṃ nupalabbhati

The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

tattha:
    saṅketavacanaṃ saccaṃ
    lokasammutikāraṇaṃ
    paramatthavacanaṃ saccaṃ
    dhammānaṃ tathalakkhaṇan ti

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

tasmā vohārakusalassa
    lokanāthassa satthuno
    sammutiṃ voharantassa
    musāvādo na jāyatī ti

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.

(Mn. i. 95)

edited June 2010
    DD, do you consider yourself a beginner? I consider myself a beginner... I suggested no one but myself was interested in the Thai Forest Tradition... And any other sub-school of Theravada I believe...

I am not the one yet stuck in certain views... is this your way of stating that you are a beginner? your reference to sotapanna is a fine example of how you do not understand what the term "Beginner" means in context of "Buddhism for Beginners sub-board"...

I read your link but your point is not clear... perhaps it is because i am a beginner... perhaps I'm just stupid... mind dumbying up your responses a bit in order to make yourself understood?

Or does it inflate your ego to speak above us regular folk who have no idea what your talking about? I find many who attain university degrees do much the same when they speak to those ignoramuses who only went to high school... It serves two purposes... it creates a feeling of superiority and it also creates a scenario where they can't be called on something by those they are speaking to because they haven't a clue what you said let alone call you on it...
    edited June 2010
    Perhaps I am mistaken...

Could a site moderator please provide a site definition of what a beginner is...

It is possible it is I who am posting in the "Buddhist for Beginners" threads mistakenly...

I'm also curious about what the difference then is between the "Buddhism for beginners" sub-board and the "Buddhism for the Experienced Practitioners" is...

It seems to some that these should all fall under one sub-board...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Perhaps I am mistaken...

Could a site moderator please provide a site definition of what a beginner is...
    This is a very good point.
    A beginner is somebody new to the forum, who openly states that they are a beginner, and openly state they know very little about Buddhism, having recently decided to either investigate it further, or come to it with the intention of following it (often both) and who asks what more experienced practitioners would deem sometimes repetitive, basic or usual questions.
    About different schools, about language, about the four noble truths.... that kind of thing.

They are most certainly not familiar (usually) with Pali or sanskrit terminology, and in-depth discussions on suttas/sutras, the veracity/authenticity of same, or discussions on anatta, enlightenment, rebirth and Nibbana.
    These discussions - particularly when begun by Established Members - would be better discussed in the "Experienced" Forum.

It is possible it is I who am posting in the "Buddhist for Beginners" threads mistakenly...
    On the basis of the above clarification, it's very likely most people are.
    I'm also curious about what the difference then is between the "Buddhism for beginners" sub-board and the "Buddhism for the Experienced Practitioners" is...
    Hopefully, my clarification above will make that more easy for you. :)
    It seems to some that these should all fall under one sub-board...
    It might be we need an "Intermediate" forum.
    Or it might be that those posting should be more mindful of discussion, and try to watch where they post the topic.
    Or it might be that people should be wary of getting carried away with expounding how profound their own knowledge is, and consider that they're entering the realms of double-dutchedness. For beginners, that is.

Much as has happened in this thread in fact, which is why so much superfluous chit-chat, off-topic posting and verbal spats have been deleted.
    And will continue to be deleted, until people stick to topic, maintain an appropriate input of posting for the level of forum and thread, and remember that hot air rises, but a Mod erases. ;)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    This is the crux of Buddhism; to reach enlightenment and to cease being born again.

This suggests life is inherent suffering. I have never seen the Buddha state this. I have never seen him state that to cease being born again is the crux of Buddhism. I think it's fair to ask for a citation when such a claim is made.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Personally, all I can say is Buddha taught action & result.

It matters a lot.

Who wants their mind to fall into the state of hell, hungry ghost or an animal state?

No one wants to fall into a hell, hungry ghost or an animal state of course. But, does knowing whether or not rebirth is true or false or whether or not the Buddha taught this particular thing or not, is that a prerequisite for being able to have correct understanding, knowledge or wisdom of action & result? But then again, I guess it would depend on what one's definition of "rebirth" is. Does it mean "what happens after the body dies" or does it mean something else that can be observed from moment to moment to moment in daily life or in meditation, etc.? I don't think one would NEED to know what happens after the body dies in order to have a correct understanding, knowledge or wisdom of action & result?
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010

Keep it real.

Namaste

The Buddha's Words on Kamma (MN 57, 135, 136, 41)
    General principles of kamma and rebirth
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel248.html

Brahmans of the Western land (SN 42.6)
    The inviolability of rebirth after death according to kamma
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.006.than.html

Lohicca Sutta (DN 12)
    On recollecting past lives

There are MANY more …

Right on my mean butsudo brother.

I am just gonna say one thing.

MN 117

Word.

/Victor

PS.
    I am not black. Just got carried away.
    DS.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    And to counter your pro-rebirth-as-a-factor-of-the-path argument, I will just say one word: MN117. :lol:
    edited June 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    DD, do you consider yourself a beginner?
    johnathan

all i can say is DaoZen is not a beginner and to me DaoZen was just evangelising

they were not asking 'beginners' questions but instead, exhorting the 'people'

i recall DaoZen at other forum (BWB) evanglising supreme emptiness

i am sorry you disagreed with my fun

• edited June 2010

I never said that quote was from BuddhaNet. I said it was from the Gospel of Buddha which most of is directly taken from the Pali Canon.

You are getting confused with the quote concerning rewards in the next life which was taken from buddhanet, though the direct source is uncertain.

• edited June 2010
    Here is a passage straight and directly taken from the Pali Canon:

[Sati:] Yes, venerable sir, as I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else. Sāti, how is that consciousness? Venerable sir, this uttering and feeling one, that reaps the results of actions good and evil done here and there.

[The Buddha]: Foolish man, to whom do you know me having preached this Teaching. Haven't I told, in various ways that consciousness is dependently arisen. Without a cause, there is no arising of consciousness. Yet, you foolish man, because of your wrong grasp, blame me, destroy yourself, and accumulate much demerit and that will be for your undoing and unpleasantness for a long time.

Source: http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima1/038-mahatanhasankhaya-sutta-e1.html

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes, funnily, that sutta is always forgotten and never translated by Bodhi and Thanissaro thus never appears on accesstoinsight.
  • edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    They [beginners] are most certainly not familiar (usually) with Pali or sanskrit terminology, [...] rebirth and Nibbana.

Federica, is it possible that you underestimate beginners? While they might not be familiar with the Pali and Sanskrit terms, most of them have heard about karma, rebirth, and nirvana, in fact these terms have already found their way into popular culture, but they might not know of the specifics.

Rebirth in particular seems to be a topic of interest for Westerners, probably due to movies such as Little Buddha and Seven Years in Tibet. However, beginners often don't know the details and are not able to distinguish the concept of rebirth in Buddhism from the concept of rebirth in Hinduism or other religions.

Perhaps a newbie thread should then clarify these basic differences and give a few pointers to suttas that deal with rebirth. It may also be useful to put birth and rebirth into the context of karma and dependent origination to understand the unique Buddhist perspective. Furthermore, one might mention various Buddhist nations and cultures and their traditional beliefs and attitudes towards rebirth.

Nevertheless, this thread didn't start with a question, but with an assertion, so it quite naturally led to debate. Perhaps this is more typical for the intermediate level.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    And to counter your pro-rebirth-as-a-factor-of-the-path argument, I will just say one word: MN117. :lol:

:lol:

Yeah but seriously. You do not think Right View is a factor of the path?

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The suttas state what they state. Anyone interested can read MN1117 for themselves to answer your question. :) You and I have already had this discussion, so... I'll leave it at that. :)
    edited June 2010
    Each person can read the sutta for themself.

The sutta speaks metaphorically.

The mind of the person reappears in an afflictive state. Notice they do not go to 'hell' or 'heaven' but instead experience the pain or pleasure "as in the case" of beings in hell or heaven.

This statement is 'metaphorical' according to the meaning of the word.

On what grounds do you equate loka with "state"?

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    The suttas state what they state. Anyone interested can read MN1117 for themselves to answer your question. :) You and I have already had this discussion, so... I'll leave it at that. :)

I agree. MN 117

Here is a pretty good translation of a part of it.

Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view. And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.

And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

But I would make the following changes to that translation.

According to my own humble opinion next world should be future life (see my post here )

And according to DD:s opinion the next should be the other world.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Loka has a very broad meaning, rather than just "world." I imagine the fact that the following sentence states "such as in the case of beings in hell," that this suggests a mental state. He speaks in a similar way in other suttas, such as in the Khana Sutta:

It's a gain for you, monks, a great gain, that you've gained the opportunity to live the holy life. I have seen a hell named 'Contacts Sixfold Base.' Whatever form one sees there with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears there with the ear... Whatever aroma one smells there with the nose... Whatever flavor one tastes there with the tongue... Whatever tactile sensation one touches there with the body... Whatever idea one cognizes there with the intellect is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable.

Heaven, hell... the various realms are here-and-now, mental states.
    edited June 2010
    Or am I not supposed to quote scriptures in the beginners forum...?
    Think this one gives a pretty accurate reply though.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes, Victor, as has been pointed out to you before, rebirth-view is called "right view with asava," and as stated in MN 8:
    "When a noble disciple has thus understood the taints (asava), the origin of the taints, the cessation of the taints, and the way leading to the cessation of the taints, he entirely abandons the underlying tendency to lust, he abolishes the underlying tendency to aversion... [he] has arrived at this true Dhamma."
    Note that the format is interestingly identical to the 4NTs of dukkha, with asava in its place.

Noble Right View which is "a factor of the path" is listed in MN 117 as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.