Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha taught rebirth -- and he meant it!

2»

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    Or am I not supposed to quote scriptures in the beginners forum...?
    Think this one gives a pretty accurate reply though.

/Victor

Honestly this whole Thread should be moved to the Experienced forum if we aren't to reference scripture here, otherwise it's nothing more than people shouting unsupported opinions with a foot stomp at the end to make it "official."
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Loka has a very broad meaning, rather than just "world." I imagine the fact that the following sentence states "such as in the case of beings in hell," that this suggests a mental state. He speaks in a similar way in other suttas, such as in the Khana Sutta:

Heaven, hell... the various realms are here-and-now, mental states.

Sorry but how does the quote...

It's a gain for you, monks, a great gain, that you've gained the opportunity to live the holy life. I have seen a hell named 'Contacts Sixfold Base.' Whatever form one sees there with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears there with the ear... Whatever aroma one smells there with the nose... Whatever flavor one tastes there with the tongue... Whatever tactile sensation one touches there with the body... Whatever idea one cognizes there with the intellect is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable.

...answer how the word loka can be translated as state? If that was what you intended?

And not that I doubt you or anything but could you refer me to that sutta so I can read all of it please?

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    Honestly this whole Thread should be moved to the Experienced forum if we aren't to reference scripture here, otherwise it's nothing more than people shouting unsupported opinions with a foot stomp at the end to make it "official."

I agree.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    My response as a whole answers it. You can research the word loka yourself, it does not simply mean "world." The sentence which follows it explains why it does not mean "world" here.

I provided the name of the sutta for your reference (just type it into Google..), but here you go: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.135.than.html
    edited June 2010
    Yes, Victor, as has been pointed out to you before, rebirth-view is called "right view with asava," and as stated in MN 8:

Noble Right View which is "a factor of the path" is listed in MN 117 as well. :)

:)

You are correct. I missunderstood your wording "a factor of the path" to mean "generally not in line with buddhism". But we are not really discussing weather it is "a factor of the path".

As I have pointed out to you before:

Mundane Right View is still Right View according to the Buddha and thus that quote shows the Buddha did teach rebirth and therefore believed it.

/Victor
    edited June 2010
    My response as a whole answers it. You can research the word loka yourself, it does not simply mean "world."
    I know. But I can not explicitly find a place where it is translated as "state".
    I provided the name of the sutta for your reference (just type it into Google..), but here you go: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.135.than.html

Yes Google is good but getting the sutta the quoter has read themselves saves you from missunderstandings since translations may vary.

Thanks.

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I know. But I can not explicitly find a place where it is translated as "state".

DDhatu chose that particular word. The meaning of loka is inferred by the context--in this case, "such as in the case of." He is speaking metaphorically. If he is not speaking of a mental state here could you explain what else he might be metaphorically speaking of?
    You are correct. I missunderstood your wording "a factor of the path" to mean "generally not in line with buddhism". But we are not really discussing weather it is "a factor of the path".

As I have pointed out to you before:

Mundane Right View is still Right View according to the Buddha and thus that quote shows the Buddha did teach rebirth and therefore believed it.

Well, we've spoken on this as well. In my opinion it is Right View not because it's as the world truly is, but because it's a skillful and beneficial way of viewing the world for those not practicing the Buddha's path. How could something factual, something describing things as they truly are, be a hindrance to the path that must be eliminated? To me that would be like saying "knowing there is gravity is a hindrance."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    On what grounds do you equate loka with "state"?Victor
    The suttas state what they state. Anyone interested can read MN1117 for themselves to answer your question. :) You and I have already had this discussion or possibly elsewhere, so... I'll leave it at that. :)

edited June 2010
    According to my own humble opinion next world should be future life (see my post here )

And according to DD:s opinion the next should be the other world.

The suttas state what they state. Anyone interested can read MN1117 for themselves to answer your question. :) You and I have already had this discussion, or possibly elsewhere, so... I'll leave it at that. :)

:buck:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The suttas state what they state. Anyone interested can read MN1117 for themselves to answer your question. :) You and I have already had this discussion or possibly elsewhere, so... I'll leave it at that.

Dude you are freaking me right the hell out. :eek2:
    edited June 2010

It's a gain for you, monks, a great gain, that you've gained the opportunity to live the holy life. I have seen a hell named 'Contacts Sixfold Base.' Whatever form one sees there with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears there with the ear... Whatever aroma one smells there with the nose... Whatever flavor one tastes there with the tongue... Whatever tactile sensation one touches there with the body... Whatever idea one cognizes there with the intellect is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable.

...answer how the word loka can be translated as state? If that was what you intended?

And not that I doubt you or anything but could you refer me to that sutta so I can read all of it please?

/Victor

As the sutta explains, it is a state of mind.

:smilec:
    Loka Sutta: The World

The Blessed One said: "And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

Or try this link for another Loka Sutta.

Or more here:
    Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipada’’

Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & mind, that I declare that there is the world, the origination of the world, the cessation of the world, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the world."

AN 4.45
    edited June 2010
    Dude you are freaking me right the hell out. :eek2:
    Why? Using your good answers is easier than thinking of my own. Where is your sense of generosity and sharing?

edited June 2010
    Yena kho, āvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī – ayaṃ vuccati ariyassa vinaye loko. Kena cāvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī? Cakkhunā kho, āvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī. Sotena kho, āvuso… ghānena kho, āvuso… jivhāya kho, āvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī . Kāyena kho, āvuso… manena kho, āvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī. Yena kho, āvuso, lokasmiṃ lokasaññī hoti lokamānī – ayaṃ vuccati ariyassa vinaye loko. Yaṃ kho vo, āvuso, bhagavā saṃkhittena uddesaṃ uddisitvā vitthārena atthaṃ avibhajitvā uṭṭhāyāsanā vihāraṃ paviṭṭho – ‘nāhaṃ, bhikkhave, gamanena lokassa antaṃ ñāteyyaṃ , daṭṭheyyaṃ, patteyyanti vadāmi. Na ca panāhaṃ, bhikkhave, appatvā lokassa antaṃ dukkhassa antakiriyaṃ vadāmī’ti, imassa khvāhaṃ, āvuso, bhagavatā saṃkhittena uddesassa uddiṭṭhassa vitthārena atthaṃ avibhattassa evaṃ vitthārena atthaṃ ājānāmi. Ākaṅkhamānā ca pana tumhe āyasmanto bhagavantaṃyeva upasaṅkamitvā etamatthaṃ paṭipuccheyyātha. Yathā vo bhagavā byākaroti tathā naṃ dhāreyyāthā’’ti.
    And what, friends, is that world by which one is a perceiver of the world, a conceiver of the world? The eye...ears...nose...tongue...body...mind. That in the world by which one is a perceiver of the world, a conceiver of the world - this is called the world in the Noble One's Discipline.

SN 35.116 (no link)

edited June 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    NOT just as a 'lesser teaching' for those students who couldn't understand the tricky stuff.
    Further, in discourses on supramundane dhamma, on the subject of not-self (anatta), there is found the stock phrase as follows:
    dha bhikkhave, assutavā puthujjano ariyānaṃ adassāvī ariyadhammassa akovido ariyadhamme avinīto, sappurisānaṃ adassāvī sappurisadhammassa akovido sappurisadhamme avinīto rūpaṃ attato samanupassati.

There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form to be the self.

SN 22.81

I trust this phrase is not found in any teachings about rebirth however I invite a willing contributor to correct my expectation here. The term puthujjano means run-of-the-mill person, unenlightened person.

Instead, the rebirth teachings, specifically for the benefit of puthujjano, have the stock phrase:
    'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech and mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation...

MN 60

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    This thread has been moved to the experienced practitioners forum.

It was suggested by more than one member, and on perusing it, it seems the best place for it.

WOULD ALL CURRENT AND EXPERIENCED MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE:

Questions, comments and subjects by existing and current members, with some prolonged experience of Buddhism, should always be placed in this forum.

The forum for beginners is precisely that:

A forum where new members with little experience should post new questions posed to existing members, in order to clarify points that we as experienced and more established members have already tackled and developed a view on.
    The beginners forum is for those who have not yet studied Buddhism in depth.

Answers to new members and those new to Buddhism seeking clarification, should address the question with as little complex elaboration as possible, but tempered obviously to what the new OP is asking.
    In short - the beginner's forum is not one to show how much you know, how well versed you are in the suttas, or how cleverly you tackle debate.
    it's there for their benefit.
    Not yours.

Would all established and experienced members refrain from using the New Buddhist beginners forum, for questions and threads that frankly don't belong there, and as a soapbox for broadcasting their obvious brilliance, cleverness and quality of rhetoric.

I trust that is adequately clear.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    1. Buddha taught rebirth many times in the suttas. Sources have aleady been given.

2. Buddha never denied rebirth in the suttas. If you think he did, source it.

3. Rebirth is completely consistent with all of Buddha's teachings. We are stuck in a cycle of samsaric rebirth and suffering due to our craving born of ignorance.

3a) Buddha taught nothing that is inconsistent with rebirth. Least of all emptiness, which DD somehow thinks is a separate teaching? Emptiness is a teaching of impermanence & not-self - the essence of rebirth for Buddha.

I'll say again, you can think what you like about rebirth and find a way to still practice Buddhism. I am a doubter myself. But please don't kid yourself about what Buddha taught.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    1. Buddha taught rebirth many times in the suttas.

There are quite a lot of references in the suttas to beings re-appearing in other realms according their actions. Of course we are dependent on the translations that are available to us, and I realise it's possible to interpret things in different ways.
    And then there are all sorts of subsidiary questions like "Why did the Buddha teach rebirth?" and "What relevance does this teaching have to our practice?" and "Why do we get so attached to views on this issue?";)

P
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    1. Buddha taught rebirth many times in the suttas. Sources have aleady been given.

2. Buddha never denied rebirth in the suttas. If you think he did, source it.

3. Rebirth is completely consistent with all of Buddha's teachings. We are stuck in a cycle of samsaric rebirth and suffering due to our craving born of ignorance.

3a) Buddha taught nothing that is inconsistent with rebirth. Least of all emptiness, which DD somehow thinks is a separate teaching? Emptiness is a teaching of impermanence & not-self - the essence of rebirth for Buddha.

I'll say again, you can think what you like about rebirth and find a way to still practice Buddhism. I am a doubter myself. But please don't kid yourself about what Buddha taught.

I think this could be considered to be a final post from the OP.
    porpoise wrote: »
    There are quite a lot of references in the suttas to beings re-appearing in other realms according their actions. Of course we are dependent on the translations that are available to us, and I realise it's possible to interpret things in different ways.
    And then there are all sorts of subsidiary questions like "Why did the Buddha teach rebirth?" and "What relevance does this teaching have to our practice?" and "Why do we get so attached to views on this issue?";)

P

And I think this is an apposite note upon which to close the thread.
    Thanks to all who gave input.
This discussion has been closed.