Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fed up with World Cup football

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
Yes, I know it's only just started but I'm already fed up with all the flag-waving. Is it just me?:rolleyes:

P

Comments

• edited June 2010
    :D I'm enjoying it.

I'm impressed with some of the things the players can do on the field too.
  • edited June 2010
    It's just our genetic/cultural tribal roots being expressed in modern ways.........(the flag-waving & stuff, not so much the game itself).
  • zider_redzider_red Explorer
    edited June 2010
    I've got a skull & crossbones car flag, in response to all the st georges crosses hanging out of peoples cars :-D
    Though I suppose Rob Green's error had some sort of comedy value yesterday
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    Yes, I know it's only just started but I'm already fed up with all the flag-waving. Is it just me?:rolleyes:

P

It's not just you, Porpoise, but then I find football frenzy distasteful anyway.
  • edited June 2010

P

No its not just you. I'm not particularly a footie fan myself and could never understand all the hysteria or the huge wages footballers get , though I might watch the final match.:)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Engyo wrote: »
    It's just our genetic/cultural tribal roots being expressed in modern ways.........(the flag-waving & stuff, not so much the game itself).

There seems to be a lot of tetosterone involved. :lol:

P
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What's World Cup football and why should I care about it?

Palzang
  • edited June 2010
    I'm actually enjoying it.
  • edited June 2010
    PsyArt8 wrote: »
    :D I'm enjoying it.

I'm impressed with some of the things the players can do on the field too.

yup.... there are some moments which are breathtaking.
  • edited June 2010

It's not just you, Porpoise, but then I find football frenzy distasteful anyway.

ok. I agree with you... it's a little too much.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I don't follow any sport myself and I must be one of the only males in my country who doesn't have any interest in the local or international teams, but I still just can't be bothered with it.

Some games are interesting in the World Cup, but I don't even watch those. The closest I come to caring, is to ask my dad (who is obsessed with soccer or football, whatever you wanna call it), what the score is and who plays in the following day. But that's about it.

I guess I'd be sick of it if I lived in South Africa and had to endure the endless vuvuzela noise, or the crazy fans, but since I'm all the way down here in Ecuador and my country didn't even make it to the World Cup this time around, then it's alright. I don't mind people enjoying it.
    edited June 2010
    I don't mind people enjoying it.

That's fine, I just wish they'd do it quietly..:lol:

P
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I enjoy it too. I just wish I was able to watch more of the games.
  • edited June 2010
    That's fine, I just wish they'd do it quietly..:lol:

P

yeah enjoy it but don't disturb others.
    edited June 2010
    And then comes Wimbledon!
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I like that other people like it. I kind of wish I got into it more
  • edited June 2010
    Dare I call it soccer? :eek:
    edited June 2010

"Soccer" is fine for people in the US. If you say you like "football" in the US, they think you're talking about the fat guys with helmets and pads.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Here in Brasil the country stops when the team plays. The last game was in the afternoon so the country just stopped after 13:00. Next one will be at 11:00. Probably a holiday :S

Does this happen anywhere else in the world?
    edited June 2010
    Does this happen anywhere else in the world?

I heard someone say recently that the streets in London were totally deserted on the day they played the US. Just like in that movie "28 Days Later". Eerie.
    edited June 2010

I find it very amusing that USians have adopted a word that comes straight out of the English Public Schools: the private schools for the ruling class. "Soccer" for Association Football, "rugger" for Rugby Football. Why not go the whole hog and call your wastepaper basket a "wagger" as at Radley School?
  • zider_redzider_red Explorer
    edited June 2010
    At this world cup there seems to be a certain comedy value to England's performances :-D
  • edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I like that other people like it. I kind of wish I got into it more

learn about it and try to take an active interest in it and you will get into it more.
    edited June 2010
    I find it very amusing that USians have adopted a word that comes straight out of the English Public Schools: the private schools for the ruling class. "Soccer" for Association Football, "rugger" for Rugby Football. Why not go the whole hog and call your wastepaper basket a "wagger" as at Radley School?

That's very interesting. I didn't know the origins of the word and I always assumed it was just a way the americans had invented to refer to a sport who's name conflicted with their own version of football.
    edited June 2010
    FFFUUU Denmark!
  • edited June 2010
    I enjoy the exitement and happiness that people get when they score a goal

i saw the game for the danish team yesterday, and as soon as they scored, i could hear people far away from my home all cheering :)
    edited June 2010
    Not me; I picked Cameroon to make it to the next round and then Denmark goes and sends them home. :p
  • edited June 2010
    I think it's fun to watch! The players are so skilled, and seeing the views of the stadium is awe inspiring! Plus I used to play soccer, and it gives me some motivation to do physical activity, which is always a good thing, haha.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it's a bit of a bore myself. As are most sports. Baseball's fun occasionally.

I was glad to see North Korea got wiped out by Portugal though. I'd be fascinated to know how that gets reported in Pyongyang. ;)
    edited June 2010
    I confess that I did watch a match the other day and I actually enjoyed it. This is quite worrying...:lol:

P
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    This too shall pass, porpoise...

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    This too shall pass, porpoise...

Palzang

But then there's cricket and tennis and motor racing and....

...will it never end?:lol:
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I've known a few fellow USians who played rugby, and I've never heard it called "rugger". If some Brits do it, then I'm sure that some USians have picked it up, but it doesn't seem to be common. Your post is the first time I've encountered the term.

As for soccer, it's the standard term for the sport in the US, and has no popular association with Britain, regardless of its origins. It's useful because it allows us to differentiate between two forms of football.

BTW, I love the neologism "USians". Is that your invention? I've always thought that "Americans" was a bit of an awkward term for the citizens of a county that takes up only a part of the Americas.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think then that we should also refer to the British as UKians as the British only make up a (relatively minor) segment of the United Kingdom. :p

Palzang
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    But then there's cricket and tennis and motor racing and....

...will it never end?:lol:
    when you will stop wanting it to be any different, and come to peace with it.
    ;)
    edited June 2010
    I think then that we should also refer to the British as UKians as the British only make up a (relatively minor) segment of the United Kingdom. :p

Palzang
    Actually, I think the _English_ make up a segment of the UK population. I think Britain is synonymous with the UK. But maybe I'm wrong.

There was a period many years ago when the males in my family owned a series of MGs and Triumphs. At work, my dad would occasionally mutter about "goddamn British sports cars." This greatly pained a Scottish woman that he worked with, so he learned to mutter "goddamn English sports cars" instead.

The Scottish woman was a Catholic, who occasionally muttered about "Proddy bastards." And so it goes. :-)
    edited June 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    I've always thought that "Americans" was a bit of an awkward term for the citizens of a county that takes up only a part of the Americas.

This the perception of the term where I live as well. People here don't like the fact that USians (lol) call themselves americans, because America is the whole continent and not just their country. But what are you gonna do about it huh? Oh well.

But yeah, to stay on topic, americans or USians got eliminated from the Cup, ouch! How do you all feel about that? Gotta sting getting eliminated by Ghana.

(On that same note, at least the US made it TO the cup. LoL. Where as my country didn't.)
    edited June 2010
    I would call myself a "US citizen" when I was traveling. The problem is that US citizens were the only ones calling us that. Everyone else was calling us "Americans."
    edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    I would call myself a "US citizen" when I was traveling. The problem is that US citizens were the only ones calling us that. Everyone else was calling us "Americans."
    Yes, we're a big country and "America" is a prominent part of our name, so that makes sense. My problem is that I'm interested in American music; not just Latin or just USian. I need a term that covers jazz and rock from the US, cocos from Ceara, and currulao from Choco. The only thing that fits is "American".

Maybe I should invent my own term. I'm interested in Vespuccian music. God bless Vespucciland. We need to protect our Vespuccian culture from the corrupting influence of the Welsh. Vespuccians must band together against the threat posed by the evil Ghanian football team or they'll pick us off one by one, depriving us of any hope of dominance in the World Cup. See? I'm on topic, if not entirely coherent.
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    when you will stop wanting it to be any different, and come to peace with it.
    ;)

You're so right, I will make it part of my daily practice..
    "May I be well, may I be sporty, may I free from whingeing..":lol:
    edited June 2010

Palzang

"United Kingdom" and "Great Britain" are both problematic these days.:lol:

P
    edited June 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Yes, we're a big country and "America" is a prominent part of our name, so that makes sense. My problem is that I'm interested in American music; not just Latin or just USian. I need a term that covers jazz and rock from the US, cocos from Ceara, and currulao from Choco. The only thing that fits is "American".

Maybe I should invent my own term. I'm interested in Vespuccian music. God bless Vespucciland. We need to protect our Vespuccian culture from the corrupting influence of the Welsh. Vespuccians must band together against the threat posed by the evil Ghanian football team or they'll pick us off one by one, depriving us of any hope of dominance in the World Cup. See? I'm on topic, if not entirely coherent.

Or you're creating comedic artistic genius! Bravo sir!!
    edited July 2010
    I now seem to have developed a minor addiction to world cup football.
    How strange life is...:lol:

P
    edited July 2010
    I've started watching some of the games myself and it reminds me of why people like football so much all over the world. It really is a beautiful game when played well.

For those of you who are still weary about the world cup getting so much attention, don't worry, it will be over on July 11. LoL. Hang in there.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Soccer doesn't do much for me personally, but I do find it fascinating how popular this sport is around the world. I just wish baseball attracted that kind of fanfare.
    edited July 2010
    For those of you who are still weary about the world cup getting so much attention, don't worry, it will be over on July 11. LoL. Hang in there.

Spain v. Holland! How exciting.:lol:

P
    edited July 2010
    Spain v. Holland! How exciting.:lol:
    P

I'm rooting for Spain. If only because they are a Spanish speaking country too. Haha.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010

English Public Schools: the private schools for the ruling class

Can someone *please* explain to me why in England "public" schools are private? Are private schools public? In America, private schools are private. You pay the tuition or you don't go. Public schools are free. That's why they're called public. Paid for by (GASP!) tax dollars.

Sadly, "tax" has become a four-letter word in America. Our "tea party" folks liken themselves to the patriots of the 18th Century who opposed taxation without representation. But today's whackos simply oppose taxation, period. I think that used to be called "anarchy".

Mtns
    edited July 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Can someone *please* explain to me why in England "public" schools are private? Are private schools public? In America, private schools are private. You pay the tuition or you don't go. Public schools are free. That's why they're called public. Paid for by (GASP!) tax dollars.

In England there are public schools, private schools and state schools. Public schools cost a lot, private schools a bit less and state schools are free. It's such a class-ridden society. ;)

P
    edited July 2010
    Well done Spain!
    And well done Paul the psychic octopus!:lol:

P

PS Holland did too many fouls and didn't deserve to win.:p
This discussion has been closed.