Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Craving for Sensual Pleasures

edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I find myself submitting to excuses and compromises in the case of indulging in lust. It is clearly hampering my progress walking the path. I've read meditating on Asubha-kammatthana is one method to see the impermanence of form and stem craving. I feel I already know the answer to this dilemma, to remain more aware and allow these impulses to fade, but I am still so ignorant and fall into the trap of sensual pleasure. So please, any suggestions or encouragement to assist me in this would be very welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You are right, you DO already know the answer! It's in your post, can you find it?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have some similar issues with drinking. I think part of that awareness is to be aware of the disadvantages of the behaviour and how the urge is just an urge. The behaviour really doesn't deliver what it promises and just leaves us regretful each time. I think its important to see that restricting the behaviour is coming from compassion rather than self agression which might be stomping down your desiring side.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Jeffrey makes a good point. If you really feel that the best thing for yourself would be to restrict yourself from caving into these feelings, then make sure you recognize that you're more protecting yourself than restricting yourself. Don't make it into a battle inside. See yourself as protecting yourself because of the compassion you have for yourself.

And yeah, just keep doing what you said yourself. See the urges, be mindful to them, then let them fade naturally. Sometimes they won't fade. But you will survive it.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    maybe something you can try,

when you see the craving arise, look inside and see the craving sensation in your body (somewhere in your chest or belly).
    Recognize this as the craving and look at how it feel, how wide it spread in your body.

after you do this for a few minutes, something to remember to help you not cave in is "okay, i will enjoy sex one day, but when i do, it's not going to be because of this conditionned sensation of craving, it will be just because this is something that i genuinely want to do in that future situation".

All you have to do is look at the sensation with equanimity, what this does is it tell your subconscious mind: I see the conditioned sensation, but i'm fine and i don't need it anymore. So the subconscious mind will realized it's not something that you want so it let go of it...

ps: look at it with equanimity for a bit doesn't mean stare at it for 2 hours and obsess over it.
    it just mean look at it, realize what it is, be fine with it, and move on with your life (even if it's still there) :)
  • edited June 2010
    What about eating, and drinking? What about moving about, mobility? Sex is just as natural. When you finish eating, do you cling to eating more? This also depends on your age. Between 14-35 sex is a very natural instinct. I would not feel guilty or stop eating, drinking, or moving about, because of some puritanical people preaching that it is "sinful" or "distracting"..... I would practice mindfulness while engaged in all things we do. If it is sex, and you are not causing harm to anyone, be mindful of the process, when done, leave it behind and do not carry it.
    This view might be at odds with the vows taken by some monks, but are you a monk? :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes, craving is natural. So is samsara. Neither are "sinful" (this "sinful" thinking is Christian/Western thinking).

Craving is not the problem, nor does it need to be "abolished" (which I am told cannot be done anyhow).

The problem is that when we crave, we think there is something wrong and we have to fix it. We think we have to do something to make that craving go away. Or we get ourselves busy in something else so we don’t have to be aware of the craving.

As Pema Chodron advises: "Don’t indulge. Don’t ignore. Don’t speed right past. Stay present with the feeling." It's okay to crave. And if we are able to free ourselves through mindfulness, even better. If not, well then, there's always another time.
  • edited June 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Yes, craving is natural. So is samsara.

Samsara is Nirvana. Right? :) No dualism....that is Buddhist practice.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    What about eating, and drinking? What about moving about, mobility? Sex is just as natural.
    -There is the natural hunger, nothing wrong with it. You feel hungry, you eat. You're full, you stop eating.
    -There is the compulsive eating. Eating because of the conditionned reactions.
    When a certain situation happen (you react with stress to something, you are sad, it's a morning habit, you walk in front of a ice cream shop etc......) you eat not because of the natural hunger but because of the conditioned reaction programmed in the subconscious mind.

The idea is to become free from the false self, these conditionnings that dictate your life rendering you a slave of your own mind.
    and do whatever it is you want to do, but not because your mind is programmed to do so but because the real you want to do it.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Sitandsee,

I read an insightful article today about addictive behaviour by Ven. Ñanavira, I hope it is of benefit to you: http://nanavira.xtreemhost.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=49

With Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    God or no god aside, If you keep reading it gets to the part relevant to this thread.
  • edited June 2010
    [EDIT!!!!] Disclaimer: Before reading, this is a rant in which I explain why I think it is silly to try to disprove the existence of God. I can not speak for its relevance, lol

I don't understand why people ("Buddhists", Atheists, whoever) try to disprove the existence of God through logic and reasoning. That is what seems absurd... how can you prove that something that is purportedly omnipresent, omniscient, and eternal doesn't exist? Why would you try to use our mind's laws of reasoning, pattern recognition, logical extrapolation, etc. to analyze something that by its very definition is impossible to know? Why even enter the foray of proving or disproving God? What's the point?

The statement that "something eternal can not exist" is a logical statement, which is why it is completely missing the point that the concept of faith involves not knowledge or understanding, but the lack of a need for knowledge or understanding. God can be eternal, know the nature of man, be a man (Christ), all at the same time, simply if you make the decision to abandon past patterns (attachments of the mind, so desperate to make sense of things) and decide to simply believe/accept/decide/whatever, that God is external, exists, knows the nature of man, is omnipresent and omniscient, all at the same time. If one can attain true utility from believing that the sky is solid matter, then to say he is wrong for doing is so is silly. There was a time when we decided that the sky was not solid matter, and instead was atmosphere. What if atmosphere is solid matter? What if solid means un-solid? What if the sky is the ground?

To truly understand how faith in a God or Heavenly Father or whatever works, you have to understand that you don't always have to understand. You have to understand what it means to abandon our logic and patterns and think laterally. You have to understand what faith means. Faith is not ignorance, it's a decision to let go of knowledge and understanding. It's not idiocy or stupidity, it's a lack of attachment to logic. It's a choice to quiet our mind and feel something to be true, instead of knowing something to be true.

To get this concept, try looking at a quarter. Look at it and say to yourself "this is a mouse." It may sound silly, but if you look at the quarter and assign the concept of mouse (tail, fur, squeaking, etc.) to the quarter with your heart, with NO mind, they can become one thing. Just as a baby learns that the feeling in his tummy that makes him cry is "hunger," or a need for food, we too can learn to connect things in a completely arbitrary fashion. People who learn languages as an infant/child supposedly use a different part of their brain to connect words to ideas. If you hear people around you talking in your native tongue, it can be extremely distracting and difficult to turn off the relation to the words that are being spoken...different words simply trigger understanding in the brain, which is why it's hard to turn them off. If the people around you are speaking in a different language that you do not understand, it is quite easy to push the noise to the background. The word IS the idea. There is no conscious translation process...they are simply one thing. You can't logically prove that the word "house" is the idea "house" yet in our mind they are one and the same...it is an arbitrary assignment of two ideas.

What this proves is that we have the power to create our own logic, which is exactly what we do. We create logics for useful purposes. If they are not useful, or harmful, we throw them out. If creating the logic that God can be two contradictory things at once is useful, then by all means, do so. Just because creating the logic that "hungry tiger" and "loving, safe, and compassionate" are the same thing would ...well...be quite silly, this does NOT mean that creating and believing other arbitrary logics, such as the nonlogical concept of God that was being criticized, can't be useful. If a belief in a God helps someone, gives
    them strength, peace, whatever, then who cares if the paradigm that explains God would be silly to explain other concepts in our world. Who cares if it's "wrong" in other scenarios? Let go of reasoning, logic, MIND, if using it is not useful. I don't see how it is useful to use MIND to disprove someone's beliefs if those beliefs are not causing suffering.
    edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    God or no god aside, If you keep reading it gets to the part relevant to this thread.

Great article, thanks Guy!
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    what has the concept of god to do with sensual pleasure and things like attachment???
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Craving is not the problem, nor does it need to be "abolished" (which I am told cannot be done anyhow).
    There are links between craving and ignorance

-ignorance conditions..
    -arising of karmic formations in the mind (mental formations of afflicted virtues and nonvirtues). Conditions...
    -consciousness. Conditions..
    -name and form. (comes into the mothers womb). Conditions..
    -six senses.. Conditions..
    -contact with what is sensed. Conditions..
    -feeling. (joy attachment aversion indifference). Conditions..
    -craving. Conditions..
    -grasping. Conditions (through grasping karma and existence of body speach and mind)
    -existence. Conditions
    -birth through the five aggregates. Conditions...
    -death

We can try to work with craving but really through prajna (wisdom) paramita we realize that all phenominen are empty. That works at the level of ignorance and then a chain reaction destroys the other 11 links at each level..

Mental formation and existence are the karma group...
    Ignorance craving and grasping are the afflicting emotions group...
    All the others are the the suffering group..

It sounds to me like they are all present all times though you can think of them happening in turn somewhat (birth death maybe preceded in womb by senses developing)..

Source (I havern't personally realized this): the Jewel Ornament of Liberation by Gampopa..
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Wow, this thread got out of topic fast!

But anyway, I have problems with craving and sensual pleasure myself, and when I cave into the cravings, I always end up feeling remorseful and guilty, so it definitely is something I should try to at least curb in some way.

The suggestions about being mindful of the craving and staying present with it, might end up helping me if I'm only able to apply them.
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer
    edited June 2010
    I find that I hardly ever get hungry these days and sleeps way less (5-6) every night.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited June 2010
    thug4lyfe wrote: »
    I find that I hardly ever get hungry these days and sleeps way less (5-6) every night.
    Could you please explain the meaning of this post?
  • edited June 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    As Pema Chodron advises: "Don’t indulge. Don’t ignore. Don’t speed right past. Stay present with the feeling." It's okay to crave. And if we are able to free ourselves through mindfulness, even better. If not, well then, there's always another time.

That makes a lot of sense, and it echos what I've heard in podcasts. When it comes to a specific thing -- one teacher mentioned sitting at a stoplight and craving a latte from a nearby Starbucks -- staying present and not giving in likely means the craving will go away in time.

In my case, I'm struggling with a less tangible issue: I crave excitement (or stimulation). Boredom is the enemy. I've been seeking an external source to satisfy this craving (computer games, books, etc.) I recognize that this is a cause of suffering and that letting go is necessary, but I am at a loss as to how to proceed.
    edited June 2010
    Grim wrote: »
    That makes a lot of sense, and it echos what I've heard in podcasts. When it comes to a specific thing -- one teacher mentioned sitting at a stoplight and craving a latte from a nearby Starbucks -- staying present and not giving in likely means the craving will go away in time.

In my case, I'm struggling with a less tangible issue: I crave excitement (or stimulation). Boredom is the enemy. I've been seeking an external source to satisfy this craving (computer games, books, etc.) I recognize that this is a cause of suffering and that letting go is necessary, but I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Grim, I've struggled in the same ways. Always needing to be busy, to do something, to be entertained. I had to turn inward rather than keep trying to satisfy this outside. I mindfully admit that the reasons I was constantly seeking external stimulation is because I didn't like being with myself. I wasn't satisfied just BEING. I started meditating more, and doing body scans, really going inside my body and staying there (I have lots of issues that involve mentally detaching from my body, too) and I've found so much excitement in meditation! It's not always fun or easy, but I'm NEVER bored with it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    One way to deal with sense pleasures is to be mindful of them when we succumb to them. Often we use the pleasure to zone out but if we flip it and really mindful during it can be interesting. For example delicious food is subtle painful when you eat it, but the pain is alive and that is kind of pleasant. Just my observation. Anyway you might as well be mindful if you do partake.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, I really new to this forum, but I wanted to say something on this topic.

I'm not sure if this is a Buddhist teaching or not, but it's something that I have learned in life that I feel goes along with Buddhist teachings. To know what is right or wrong for us, we have to experience life. Right now, you are thinking that craving sex is wrong because you have been TOLD it's wrong. But is it really wrong for you? Try it. Have sex. Give in to your cravings. If it fulfills you, then keep doing it.

If however, it doesn't fulfill all you want it to fulfill, then stop doing it. Then you have learned firsthand that this is wrong for you. Only then will you really have the desire to WANT to stop.

I feel like this goes hand in hand with what I've learned about Buddhism so far. Aren't we supposed to question everything? Didn't Buddha say, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Make a proper investigation first"? [/FONT]To me, a proper investigation would be to figure it out for yourself and not to act the way people have told you to act.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]