Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Counting the Breath

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited July 2010 in Meditation
Hello all. I'm going to be starting intense experimentation with counting the breaths. The reason is my mind is very active lately and I've heard this is a good way to acheive some stillness and also I havn't been having much success with mindfulness of breathing as I get lost in instructions and concepts and things.

Anyways.. my question is has anyone experimented with this before? The method I'll be using is counting 1 before inhalation and 1 before exhalation up to 5 then back to one and to 6 and so on untill 10.

Yes so and has anyone experimented with this before and had any results or suggestions?

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Also, could it be considered following the eightfold path? Does it lead to jhana?
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yes I have practice with counting breaths. It is a very basic and introductory meditation technique. I have tried to count from 1-4, then start over (but it was a little too challenging for me). Recently I have gone with counting 1-21, then starting over at the advice of my Geshe. I've had much more success with that.

Where did you come up with the idea of going 1-5, 5-1, 1-6, 6-1 . . . . 1-10, 10-1?

If you ask me, the counting itself would be very distracting. The point is to focus on the breath, not to focus on the counting.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    That is one of the basic techniques taught by AJ, and the method is one that I still use if I notice my mind is overly active. The results are increased focus and mindfulness.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm going to be starting intense experimentation with counting the breaths. The reason is my mind is very active lately and I've heard this is a good way to acheive some stillness and also I havn't been having much success with mindfulness of breathing as I get lost in instructions and concepts and things.

Anyways.. my question is has anyone experimented with this before? The method I'll be using is counting 1 before inhalation and 1 before exhalation up to 5 then back to one and to 6 and so on untill 10.

Yes so and has anyone experimented with this before and had any results or suggestions?

Dear shanyin

This is a good method recommended by many teachers. Don't look it upon basic. Is pedalling too basic for bike riding?

Count 1 to 10 each exhalation and again. The point is not perfection, the point is to do it, the point is consistency. If you find you have lost count, no blame, no shame, go back to 1.

Perseverence furthers. It is a valuable method even if it looks too basic.

Here is one excerpt which may or may not :) help.
    To do zazen, it is necessary to find a time and place. Both should be as uncluttered as possible. Wash up. Make sure the space used is neat and clean as well. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes. If you like, set up an altar with a statue, a cup of water in front of it and an incense burner in front of the water. Light a candle if you like. An altar is not necessary. If you prefer, simply sit down on your cushion between three and six feet from an empty wall.

A zafu, or round cushion, is often used for zazen. If you use one, put the sitting bones on the front third of the cushion. Find a posture ‚ kneeling, full-lotus, half-lotus, quarter-lotus ‚ that you can hold for the period you plan to sit. If there is some physical infirmity that does not allow you to sit on the zafu, sit in a chair. Again, sit on the sitting bones, spine erect.

Once seated, place the back of the left hand on top of the right palm so that the middle knuckles of the middle fingers touch. Let the thumbs then touch each other lightly. In this way, the thumbs will form an oval. Place both hands against the belly, about two inches below the navel. Technically, the nose will be in line with the navel and the shoulders will be aligned with the hips. To the best of your ability, make sure your knees are touching the ground. This will give your posture stability.

Having created your posture, rock back and forth gently two or three times to make sure you are sitting on the sitting bones in your behind. Take three or four quiet, deep breaths.

Once settled, begin your practice. For those starting out, it is probably best to count the breath. This means to count in your mind ‚ one to ten and begin again ‚ on each exhalation. In your mind, perhaps it sounds a little like, "o-n-n-n-n-n-e, t-w-o-o-o, t-h-r-e-e-e, etc." One to ten and begin again. If there is an interruption ‚ some thought that is other than your counting ‚ just begin again. If you space out and find yourself at 27, then catch yourself, just begin again. Always, just begin again.

The most important part of practice is to keep your promise. If you say, "I will do zazen for ten minutes on Tuesday starting at 6:34 p.m.," then honor your promise. If for some reason you cannot keep your promise, admit it. Zen practice is primarily about paying attention and taking responsibility. So ... pay attention and take responsibility.

Best wishes, and yes, in my opinion meditation is very very much the price of liberation. Genuine liberation.

Gassho,
    Abu
  • edited June 2010
    If you ask me, the counting itself would be very distracting. The point is to focus on the breath, not to focus on the counting.

I agree, especially such a complex method of counting... 1-5, 5-1, 1-6 6-1, etc. I would go crazy trying to keep track :p I do like to do a cycle or two of 1-5, 1-6, etc to 1-10 at the beginning of a meditation session, but there is a point where it becomes more of a hindrance than a help. At that point I just try to pay attention to the breath.

For me I think, the more complex the counting method, the more I just kind of :werr: and tryyyyyy so hard... I have no time to be mindful of anything :p
    edited June 2010
    Hmm I actually explained it wrong... I go from 1-5 then straight to 1-6 then straight to 1-7 up and so on till 1-10.

So today I took the advice and tried just going up to 10 over and over.

I think mabye the "double counting" that I was trying was increasing my focus but it could be distracting I don't know.
    edited June 2010
    Essentially, whatever works for you is best. If you have a teacher, though, it wouldn't be a bad idea to run it by him/her.
    edited June 2010
    Unfortunately no monasteries or meditation centres in my city.

I'll get by, thanks all!
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    fedaalis wrote: »
    I agree, especially such a complex method of counting... 1-5, 5-1, 1-6 6-1, etc. I would go crazy trying to keep track :p I do like to do a cycle or two of 1-5, 1-6, etc to 1-10 at the beginning of a meditation session, but there is a point where it becomes more of a hindrance than a help. At that point I just try to pay attention to the breath.

For me I think, the more complex the counting method, the more I just kind of :werr: and tryyyyyy so hard... I have no time to be mindful of anything :p
    the point is exactly to not be mindful of anything.

the point of counting the breath in this fashion (1-5, 1-6, -17, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10) is that you need your complete attention in order not to lose tract.

the point is to develop concentration.

once you can do a couple cycles without ever losing track of where you are at, then you developped enough concentration and attention to move on to only the breath.

The reason it is so difficult not to lose tract of the count is because the person does not have enough attention, concentration yet.

just keep practicing, 1 hour or more a day and it will improve.

It is a good idea not to try to skip steps especially when beginning; it's important to try to build strong fundations.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited June 2010
    in every meditation session i count from 1 to 10 until im able to do it a couple of times with no mistake
  • edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »

the point of counting the breath in this fashion (1-5, 1-6, -17, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10) is that you need your complete attention in order not to lose tract.

once you can do a couple cycles without ever losing track of where you are at, then you developped enough concentration and attention to move on to only the breath.

The reason it is so difficult not to lose tract of the count is because the person does not have enough attention, concentration yet.

It is a good idea not to try to skip steps especially when beginning; it's important to try to build strong fundations.

That's interesting, I feel like wherever I heard about "counting the breath" meditation, it was also suggested to be mindful of the breath as well as the count. I suppose this may be why counting the breath gets somewhat distracting for me, because I'm also at the same time doing my best to be mindful of breathing, and mindful of thoughts etc.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010

Or just 20 minutes a day and it will still improve :D
    edited June 2010

It is very interesting you should mention this, because this is actually the opposite of what I have been learning.

I've spent a few years reading more advanced texts, and in doing so I think I've lost track of my foundation, so I've gone back to the beginning, starting with Geshe Tashi Tsering's The Foundation of Buddhist Thought series, namely Volume 1: The Four Noble Truths.

There, Geshe Tsering explains that Right mindfulness and Right Concentration are two distinct parts of the Noble Eight Fold Path, but they work together to build on the individual ethics (as well as the path in general).

Geshe Tsering says that Right Mindfulness has three distinct aspects: stability, clarity, and intensity. They should be developed in that order, or so that you are able to sit down and actually focus on one thing for an extended period of time (making your mind more stable) first, then work on clarifying the mind (of what you are trying to focus on) and then intensifying that focus.

Additionally, Geshe Tsering claims that Right Concentration is the use of a single pointed mind, using the mindfulness that you have already obtained.

He clarifies this by explaining:
    "Mindfulness on a practical level is merely being aware of what is going on around us. . . it means the ability of the mind to stay on the object of concentration . . . Many methods exist for developing basic mindfulness. At the initial stage, we learn how to bring our scattered minds to focus on the sensations within our bodies in the present moment . . . We can do this by simply observing our body posture, not giving it any labels - right, wrong, pain, pleasure - just being with our bodies. We can also concentrate on the breath counting our inhalations and exhalations as we focus on either the sensation of the air at our nostrils or the movement of our abdomen." (pg134)

"With mindfulness holding the object, the mind focuses on that object . . . mindfulness is merely the ability to hold an object . . . [with concentration, or single-pointed mind] the single pointed mind actually becomes [the object it is focusing on]." (pg 135)

So I thought that breath counting actually supported mindfulness, not concentration. When we then use the mindfulness to focus on a quality, such as compassion, so that the single pointed mind actually can become compassion, that is concentration.

Forgive me if I misunderstood something, but from what I have learned, breath counting is actually a mindfulness training, not a concentration training.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    So I thought that breath counting actually supported mindfulness,
    it was also suggested to be mindful of the breath as well as the count.
    yes, sorry.

I meant to say in response to:

that the point was to not be mindful of anything else than the breath.
  • edited June 2010
    i found counting breaths very useful while exercising or doing yoga.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Forgive me if I misunderstood something, but from what I have learned, breath counting is actually a mindfulness training, not a concentration training.

Mindfulness on a single object like the breath leads to concentration. There are many different counting techniques, however the practice is called mindfulness of breathing, not mindfulness of counting.:)

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    Or just 20 minutes a day and it will still improve :D
    20 minutes is a good beginning, but i believe the ideal (for someone who doesn't raise 4 kids by himself, or is completely incapacitated by a terrible desease, or work 14 hours a day.. you know, every situations are different) would be to eventually (not in 5 years ;)) meditate a minimum of 2, 1 hour sessions a day.

to encourage yourselves if you find this to sound so difficult, you can look at the course schedule of a meditation retreat, where normal people who never meditated a day in their lives, will meditate on the retreat 10 hours a day.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I tried counting the breath with the method given in the meditation series Patbb posted on another thread (which seems to be the same the OP described). (1 in breath, 1 out breath, up to five, then start with one again up to six). But I had trouble with it because my breaths sometimes become short and faster, and counting that quickly is not easy. (I'm aware my breath should be deep and slow, but sometimes it isn't. Maybe from my position, maybe from my emotional/mental state, it just happens).

I find that when I count the breaths, I end up controlling the way my body breathes, instead of letting the breath be and flow as it pleases. I found it helpful when it comes to keeping your mind awake and not letting it go into torpor and stupor tho, so it does have it's value and for some, it might be the right gateway into the beginning stages of their meditation practice.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Light, I had the same experience when I started. I would take deeper breaths and it would have the benefit of keeping me awake during meditation. Sometimes, I just needed to take a nap tho :) The longer I meditated the more I got used to it. My breath became more natural and I was able to stay awake with good posture
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    Light, I had the same experience when I started. I would take deeper breaths and it would have the benefit of keeping me awake during meditation.

This was what I was doing when I encountered the problem as well, but then I was realizing how my breath was forced and unnatural, controlled.
    The longer I meditated the more I got used to it. My breath became more natural and I was able to stay awake with good posture

This is what I was after on my last sitting session, but counting the breath, automatically made my breath feel like it didn't belong to me, very unnatural.

I guess I should keep trying like you and see if I find a way to let it become more natural and flow better. Good post.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I find that when I count the breaths, I end up controlling the way my body breathes, instead of letting the breath be and flow as it pleases.

Yes, this can be a disadvantage of counting methods. The traditional practice is mindfulness of breathing, which just means paying attention to the breath. Counting can be a useful support to this, but arguably should be dropped when basic concentration has been established.

P