Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We Are One

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited October 2005 in Buddhism Today
Is there something in Buddhism to represent us as one? Other than the Eightfold Path wheel... I mean something that you see on the streets and you know - Yes, that's a Buddhist.

Example, Christians have their crosses... Sikhs turbans... And stuff like that... Anything for us? Not that it really matters.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I for one have a little jade Buddha pendant I wear occasionally, and a small inch-high brass Buddha in my car.... they are reminders to me of the 8Fold Path, and how I'm responsible for my actions.... others have noticed them and commented, but I don't know that they could be 'adopted' as outward signs of what I am/do....
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Yeah I just realized that they do sell small pendants of Buddha statues for a reason... Haha... How dumb I can be at times...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    There are no signs for a mathematician or a psychologist. Why should there be for a Buddhist?

Admittedly, when I am using my mala and wind it round my wrist, people ask me if I'm Buddhist.
  • edited September 2005
    I live in such a Christian dominated area that even if I were to wear something that represented Buddhism, I don't think many people would notice. I wear an "Om" symbol pendant on my neck and everyone asks me what it is.
  • edited September 2005
    Traditionally in India you knew a Buddhist because of their shaved head and robes.

I wear my mala at work sometimes, which usually sparks interesting discussions with my Asian students.

Bill Hicks (the comedian) did an excellent piece on the natire of wearing a cross in Christianity:

"Do you think when Jesus comes back he wants to see another f***ing cross?! It's like going up to Jackie ONassis wearing a rifle pendant. - ' Hey jackie just thinkin' of John!'"

bill_hicks_shoots.jpg
    edited September 2005
    Haha... Good one... How about the Buddha? If he came back, what would he actually dread to see? A bodhi tree?
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I have a Buddha pendant and 8-spoked wheel pendant that I wear. There small, and I wear them as much for their prettiness as I do any religious/philosophical significance. I certainly don't think that wearing them makes me better than anyone else who doesn't wear such things, but they do serve as reminders during the day of my ideals so that I can better follow them. Plus, they make good conversation starters. While I would never actively proselytize, I do enjoying discussing beliefs if asked - as much to hear about others' beliefs as to tell them about my own.
  • edited October 2005
    The only outward sign I've ever had are small buddha statues at my desk. I've made a habit to give them away when I change jobs, giving them to the person whom I've grown to respect the most.

The one that I have on my desk now was given to me by my wife, and I just put in a two week notice at my current job. Guess I'd better go buy one this weekend. Giving that one away could get me in serious trouble!
    edited October 2005
    Haha... That's a good joke...
  • edited October 2005
    I suppose other religions are big into symboles because they need something to cling to, to clearly see and maybe feel for reasurance, rather than seeking their spirituality from within. to me, an actual "symbole" like a cross or star or whatever would contradict buddha's teachings, which is why i think our only "symbole" to date is an actual picture/statue of the buddha, not a drawn out symbole with meaning put behind it. Seeking spirituality from within is why the muslims were/are so strict about not having worship of objects. however, it's incredibly saddening when the taliban (out of ignorance) took this to a fanatical level and destroyed those amazing buddhist monuments in Afghanistan :( , not understanding that they weren't there so we could worship the statues, but to remind us of the buddha and express buddhisms beauty outwards.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Yes, but even then, many Buddhists came forward in response to people's outrage and anger, and pointed out the impermanence of all things.... and what a good example!

There was a huge international movement organised to restore and prevent the Leaning Tower of Pisa from finally actually toppling over.... but one day, either by accident or by design, the Collisseum in Rome, the Parthenon in Athens, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Tower of London and many other countless wonderful monuments all over the world, will shatter and be reduced to dust..... Unthinkable? But true....!
  • edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Is there something in Buddhism to represent us as one? Other than the Eightfold Path wheel... I mean something that you see on the streets and you know - Yes, that's a Buddhist.

Whenever I see compassion I see the Buddha.

Whenever I see true happiness I see the Buddha.

Whenever I see true sadness I see the Buddha.

So, in answer to your question whenever I see somthing in the streets I know it is the Buddha.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005

"Do you think when Jesus comes back he wants to see another f***ing cross?!

Exactly.

The cross he wore was a burden and clashed with everything he had on.

-bf
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Exactly.

The cross he wore was a burden and clashed with everything he had on.

-bf

.....If the Non-Self was carrying the crucifx, would it be 'naughts and crosses'? :crazy: :hiding:
    edited October 2005
    Once more, Jason, well-said!

Well actually what'd the Buddha be freaked out at?
  • edited October 2005
    "Haha... Good one... How about the Buddha? If he came back, what would he actually dread to see? A bodhi tree"?

Ajani, I really have no wish to be unfair however it would be no surprise to me if Buddha would dread see you, simply because he would be reminded his work was just about to start all over again.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    "Haha... Good one... How about the Buddha? If he came back, what would he actually dread to see? A bodhi tree"?

Ajani, I really have no wish to be unfair however it would be no surprise to me if Buddha would dread see you, simply because he would be reminded his work was just about to start all over again.

That was a pretty mean spirited comment in a thread about how "we are one" :shakehead
    edited October 2005
    He is right, Brian.
    edited October 2005
    No, Ajani, he is wrong. The Awakened see the buddhanature of all beings.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited October 2005
    No, Ajani, he is wrong. The Awakened see the buddhanature of all beings.

Yes, I fully agree. The Awakened one see all sentient beings as Buddha. The YOU that I see, is the ME that I be.

Everthing is ONE in the state of Enlightenment. No notion of space and distance (here and there are ONE), size(big and small are ONE), good are bad is ONE, past present and future are also ONE, You and I are ONE. All Buddhas have the same state of mind and share the same Dharma body. Everything is ONE.

cheers,
    Kin Lee
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    I'm not saying whether it was right or wrong - what I am saying is that as the site administrator, I would heartily prefer not to see personal attacks take place in a public setting. If you have an opinion of someone that you would like to share with them, you should use private messages for that. It was the spirit of the comment that was offensive to me - not the comment itself.
  • edited October 2005
    The buddha would see all things, sentient and insentient as the buddha.

I was thinking the other day about the buddha and other sagacious persons of hte past reincarnating in the world as it is. CAn you imagine? Shakyamuni and Jesus would be put in jail as vagrants. Everyone would be too busy rushing around to hear their message. The persons in the biz district would be stepping over them, unseeing because they were afraid that they might be panhandlers.
  • edited October 2005
    I followed this debate with some interest. Hi, I'm new here by the way. I'm sure many will learn to ignore my ramblings and I'm bound to be "moderasized" in the future.

anyhoo, Why do we find the need to 'idolize' something anyway? is it a human requirement ?
    edited October 2005
    Spike wrote:
    I followed this debate with some interest. Hi, I'm new here by the way. I'm sure many will learn to ignore my ramblings and I'm bound to be "moderasized" in the future.

anyhoo, Why do we find the need to 'idolize' something anyway? is it a human requirement ?

I don't think it's a requirement as such. It seems for many to be a necessity. There is an inherent need to worship something, outside of ones' self, in order to feel part of a community or fraternity. As you say in your profile that you're Christian, you might be better placed to answer this than a Buddhist....!

Welcome by the way!
  • edited October 2005
    dont think of a blue cat. too late !

On my profile I was asked to provide a little history, and as I was raised in the England its very difficult to escape from the Christian theological doctrine that is our society.

My own research has led me to consider that 'Jesus' even if he only exsisted as a metaphor, was an interesting chap. I think it was Pavlov who considered religion to be a social conscience - 'a way to be part of the community' .

I am trusting I wont need a little jade buddha on my bedside table in order to be reminded of my path. But as I still rely heavily on my senses , how can I trust myself anyway ?
    edited October 2005
    Spike wrote:
    .................. But as I still rely heavily on my senses , how can I trust myself anyway ?

I am sure that our senses are among the least accurate instruments available on which to rely, Spike. Reality, or what Buddhists call "suchness", is too filtered by the sense organs to be grasped directly.
  • edited October 2005
    I agree simonthepilgrim. Thank you for taking the time to write to me, i have found your previous posts very interesting.

Is the pursuit of buddhist individual perfection a failure of your requirement to aid society?
    edited October 2005
    Spike wrote:

Is the pursuit of buddhist individual perfection a failure of your requirement to aid society?

Thank you, Spike, for raising important points. And this one goes right to the heart of the Dharma for me.

As a Brit myself, I acknowledge the role of English Christianity in my background, and am grateful for it. I used to spend hours at Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park listening to Lord Soper (the Arch-Community Songster, as my father called him). His Christianity was typically Methodist: based on the Letter of James: faith without good works is crap! I have often argued that the Labour Party (before the abolition of Clause 4 and the coronation of Emperor Blair) was founded more on the theology of the Non-conformists than on the politico-historical theories of Marx. The result has been that my spiritual practice and my action in the world have informed each other.

I doubt whether I would have incorporated so much Buddhist thought and practice into my life had it not been for the Deep Ecology movement. And I would not have encountered that had it not been for my work as a volunteer counsellor and AIDS buddy. Elsewhere, I have mentioned my incredulity on the first occasion I came across the expression "engaged" Buddhism. I had the common view of Buddhists as being detached and uninvolved with social or ecological problems. All phenomena being empty, they seemed to say, it is unskillful to engage with the world and its apparent problems. I had not realised that, whilst it is possible to read some sutras in that way, this is not the only (or, perhaps, the most skillful) way of understanding the Dharma.

Within the wide range of different Buddhisms, there are all sorts of readings of the sutras and all sorts of interpretations of the Dharma. It's quite as bad as Christianity from that point of view. Where they differ is that there is a more general 'ecumenism' among Buddhists than among Christians. Which is not to pretend that there aren't deep antagonisms between some schools!

One of the West's most significant teachers has been Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh whose emphasis on the interconnectedness of all (what he calls "interbeing") has informed much Engaged Buddhist thought and action. When we come to some realisation of our interdependence, on each other and on the world around us, inaction is no longer an option. Even passivity becomes a choice.

Thus, my politics, my Christianity and the Buddhism of engagement came together, like a nest of Celtic snakes. None of the three is worth a fig if they do not bear fruit and useful fruit at that!

Hope that ramble makes some sense. Head still a bit muzzy from 'flu jab!
  • edited October 2005
    I was very much hoping for your reply to contain nothing but second hand scripture and buddhist sound bites.

Alas your conversation is stimulating and informative ! As always when the time is right a way will be found. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. My journey (or a name for my journey ) is starting, please forgive my ignorance and very basic understanding .

I look forward to talking with you in the future.
    edited October 2005
    Spike wrote:
    I was very much hoping for your reply to contain nothing but second hand scripture and buddhist sound bites.

Sorry to disappoint, Spike LOL

Been there. Been bored by it. Don't think it's worth wasting bandwidth on!
    edited October 2005
    Well if you are saying worshipping a block of wood, I dunno...

If you are saying put a statue on the table I'd say that's for me to remind myself... Just as you'd put a picture of your loved one in your wallet but not worship it...
  • edited October 2005
    So The Buddha isnt in a block of wood then ?
    edited October 2005
    Yes, he is....every 'Bodhi' is.....
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, that was a block of wood you saw... :tongue2: Hell, maybe not, but I am not a believer in Buddha worship... Can't elaborate much on that, you might find help from the wiser ones here...