Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 31 Planes of Existence

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Can someone help me understand these? This is the one teaching of Buddhism that I simply cannot bring myself to accept. Are they realms, mental states, categorization of existence, etc., it's not really clear. For example, there's the animal realm and the human realm. I think it's clear that these are simply making the distinction between animal vs. human mental states, and not actual realms (it would be nonsensical for there to be an animal realm because we humans exist in the same "realm" as the animals).

The realms that really confuse me are the deva realms. According to AccesstoInsight:

"Realm of:
(10)
Devas Delighting in Creation (nimmanarati deva)

(9) Contented devas (tusita deva)

(8) Yama devas (yama deva)

(7) The Thirty-three Gods (tavatimsa deva)

(6) Devas of the Four Great Kings (catumaharajika deva)"

Seriously, I really think it's hard to interpret these as merely mental states. Also, the distinctions between these seem arbitrary. For example, why are animals above Hell-beings, but below Hungry Ghosts?

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Can someone help me understand these? This is the one teaching of Buddhism that I simply cannot bring myself to accept. Are they realms, mental states, categorization of existence, etc., it's not really clear. For example, there's the animal realm and the human realm. I think it's clear that these are simply making the distinction between animal vs. human mental states, and not actual realms (it would be nonsensical for there to be an animal realm because we humans exist in the same "realm" as the animals).

The realms that really confuse me are the deva realms. According to AccesstoInsight:

"Realm of:
    (10)

Seriously, I really think it's hard to interpret these as merely mental states. Also, the distinctions between these seem arbitrary. For example, why are animals above Hell-beings, but below Hungry Ghosts?

Can you see reasons compatible with Dharma why they exist? If not, they probably don't and are in some sense metaphore or addition...

namaste
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Some think planes of existence are places you get reborn after death or some think they are just mental states. What do you think is more possible?

If you pay attention to the present lifetime you will see that your mental states in fact take the form of these planes described in the Buddhist texts. Sometimes you are a hungry ghost realm constantly seeking pleasures, in agitation, sometimes you are in some kind of hell due to the constant fear of something, when you are sitting in meditation and feeling peaceful you are in some kind of heaven etc
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, I really think it's hard to interpret these as merely mental states.
    it's not meant to be interpreted mentally. no amount of mental gymnastic will help. if anything, mental gymnastic may lead to a false belief of understanding, which may hinder experiencing it and truly understanding/

this is why they do not teach this stuff to beginners.

it is meant to be experienced when we get there. On our journey on the path.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    it's not meant to be interpreted mentally. no amount of mental gymnastic will help. if anything, mental gymnastic may lead to a false belief of understanding, which may hinder experiencing it and truly understanding/

It can very well be interpreted mentally if you take off the icing and look at it as a mental state. Well, of course the other option is to blindly believe in it hoping that one day you will go there so you can experience it then. Suit yourself
    this is why they do not teach this stuff to beginners.

Really? When I was a kid I took up Buddhism as a subject in my school and these planes of existence were there in my Buddhist text books. It's not very complex to fantasize about going to heaven after death you know.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    It can very well be interpreted mentally if you take off the icing and look at it as a mental state.
    are you trying to convince me of the worth of mental gymnastic?
    Deshy wrote: »
    Well, of course the other option is to blindly believe in it hoping that one day you will go there so you can experience it then. Suit yourself
    well if this was the only options, it would not be a fun choice to make.

what about a third option: don't believe or disbelieve but keep in mind if you are already aware and see for yourself when the time come.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    are you trying to convince me of the worth of mental gymnastic?

There is no "mental gymnastic" here. Seeing that your mind attends to these states is not such a hard thing to do. It only requires mindfulness.

As I already said "suit yourself"
  • edited July 2010
    Can someone help me understand these?

Hi Transmetaphysical,

It isn't necessary to take the different 'realms' literally.
    I strongly recommend you read 'Two Kinds of Language' by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu for the answers you seek.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books5/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Two_Kinds_of_Language.htm

The sections beginning 'Woeful States' and 'Heaven' may be of interest as well as many others.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hi Transmetaphysical,

It isn't necessary to take the different 'realms' literally.
    I strongly recommend you read 'Two Kinds of Language' by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu for the answers you seek.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books5/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Two_Kinds_of_Language.htm

Kind regards,

Dazzle

I second this. I would also strongly recommend this essay
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Can someone help me understand these?

I think you are asking the wrong question. Instead of asking whether it is a metaphor or not why don't you ask what are the origins of the idea? How does it relate to the sramana movement? How does it relate to vedic and pre-vedic thought? What was the historical context? I think these are much richer questions.
  • edited July 2010
    I think you are asking the wrong question. Instead of asking whether it is a metaphor or not why don't you ask what are the origins of the idea? How does it relate to the sramana movement? How does it relate to vedic and pre-vedic thought? What was the historical context? I think these are much richer questions.

This is good advice.
  • edited July 2010
    Mental states. You probably bounce from realm to realm several times a day. I know I sure do.

Who hasn't been an asura, competing with everybody? "How many times did you meditate this week? Who can sit the longest?" Asuras try to win the meditation game.

Or felt like a god? Above others because you feel you live a superior lifestyle. We are sure that we are enlightened, that we've arrived. We're rarely bothered by a thought, so we feel comfortable enough that we look no further.

If you look, you can recognize which realm you're currently in, or you might find a way of being that isn't in any of the six realms.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Buddha taught these are literally planes of existence to which we are reborn according to our karmic seeds. However, these planes are not so much places as characteristics of the beings who 'inhabit' (embody) said planes. These beings may--or may not--interact with our conventional 'world' (ie animals do, devas generally do not).

Some choose to stretch this distinction (between being and place) beyond breaking point by claiming these characteristics are merely illustrative states of mind, all of which can apply to humans, thus retro-fitting Buddha's actual teachings into their materialist mindsets.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Some choose to stretch this distinction (between being and place) beyond breaking point by claiming these characteristics are merely illustrative states of mind, all of which can apply to humans, thus retro-fitting Buddha's actual teachings into their materialist mindsets.
    It's a gain for you, monks, a great gain, that you've gained the opportunity to live the holy life. I have seen a hell named 'Contacts Sixfold Base.' Whatever form one sees there with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears there with the ear... Whatever aroma one smells there with the nose... Whatever flavor one tastes there with the tongue... Whatever tactile sensation one touches there with the body... Whatever idea one cognizes there with the intellect is undesirable, never desirable; displeasing, never pleasing; disagreeable, never agreeable.

:\
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited July 2010

"Realm of:
    (10)

I think they can be interpreted as both. But it is not necessary to believe in gods to cultivate the path. On the other hand it is necessary to understand your mental states to do the same. So stick with the last option and let the other one be for now.

/Victor
    edited July 2010
    btw I know people who claim to have seen gods...
    edited July 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    Buddha taught these are literally planes of existence to which we are reborn according to our karmic seeds. However, these planes are not so much places as characteristics of the beings who 'inhabit' (embody) said planes. These beings may--or may not--interact with our conventional 'world' (ie animals do, devas generally do not).

Good answer. If you think about the english word world, how it relates to humans and animals this becomes even more evident.

/Victor
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I heard that some people leave the plane of existence they are on and touch other and enter others when they are on drugs. I think I am one of those people. But by all means don't fucking do drugs. Drugs suck.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    btw I know people who claim to have seen gods...

Where?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Where?

I've seen them. They told me I am Maitreya.

Discuss. :P
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I've seen them.

Where? :D