Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do Buddhists view Christians/Christianity?

13»

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Hmm Christianity and skepticism. Hot topics!

It's good to discuss. But when a discussion reaches a stale mate. Go drink green tea and meditate !

Toraldris
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I find the responses here on a Buddhist forum just ludicrous, and maybe that's because I also said some Buddhists take things on faith too? Maybe they took it personally?

I agree with you. Most Buddhists take a great deal on faith.

KundoToraldrisEarthninja
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Um, skeptics range. Being absolute anything is hard, especially if you hold yourself out as an expert one.

KundoCitta
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

My bad all, I didn't scan the source like I promised yesterday due to a bit of a turn with my migraines. My apologies and I will endeavour to do so this afternoon.

Metta,
    Raven
    _ /\ _

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Sorry to hear about the migraines dhammachick. I used to get those; can't recommend how to get rid of them as I am on so much medicine I don't know what does what.

Invincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Most Buddhists take a great deal on faith.

Not going by the comments on these forums!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2014

"is pretty super judgemental and pretty unBuddhist"

But that's not judgmental?
    In so far as valuing reason over faith or feelings, yea I am there.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Most Buddhists take a great deal on faith.

Not going by the comments on these forums!

What do you mean?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@vinlyn said:

Many forum Buddhists seem to regard "faith" as a dirty word and quote the Kalama Sutta at every opportunity.

Invincible_summer
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Theswingisyellow said:
    "is pretty super judgemental and pretty unBuddhist"

But that's not judgmental?
    In so far as valuing reason over faith or feelings, yea I am there.

Truth is, we invariably employ both in the same decision-making process. We oftentimes use rationalization in place of reason and many folks confuse the two.

Theswingisyellow
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Citta said:
    They would reject him if he was not a left leaning pacifist vegetarian.

Not in Colorado Springs.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Citta said:
    They would reject him if he was not a left leaning pacifist vegetarian.

From most churches I know and have heard of (both in Canada and the US), more likely rejected if he was indeed a lefty veggie.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2014

Surely they would reject him anyway @Invincible _summer..the question was how would *Buddhists* react if the Buddha was among them..

Invincible_summer
  • SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

@Citta said:
    Surely they would reject him anyway Invincible _summer..the question was how would *Buddhists* react if the Buddha was among them..

Thank you Citta.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

The Buddha would be criticized for rudely describing his attainments and/or for lying about having them. He would be told to get with a proper teacher and be told jokes about how much a person later appreciated being whacked with the teacher's staff for being presumptuous.

DairyLamaSkeeterkb
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Either one of them would likely be treated the same as anybody else.

On the one hand, Jesus should expect no less as that is what he said he wanted. To be treated no better than what we see as the lowest of us. On the other, he likely hoped we would have no such conception these days.

As for Buddha, there is no separation.

If we want a world that would treat these two better, all we have to do is treat each other better.

As for how this Buddhist views Christianity... I prefer to do it from a distance as I honestly find the main doctrine to be irresponsible.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I can see why buddha prefers the great silence; no one to disturb him/her/it...

• I find it interesting that this old thread about the Buddhist view of Christianity should have become a debate about scepticism. It may be necessary, as ever, to spend a little time considering how wide a range of definitions or applications there may be of scepticism. Do sceptics here believe that a sceptical approach can arrive at a truth or do they start from a position, exemplified by Pontius Pilate in the Gospels, of doubting that there is such a thing as truth? Before we can engage in genuine debate about the place of scepticism in Christianity (it has a place) or in Buddhism or, indeed, in any endeavour, we need to ask ourselves precisely this question.

For myself, I am taken by the story of Pilate and Jesus. Clearly, Pilate is asking as a well-educated Roman, versed in Greek philosophy, and addressing a person from Hellenic Galilee which was home to a number of sceptic schools. We can even find traces of sceptical dialogue and methodology in the stories about Jesus. The influence of philosophical scepticism on the development of Jewish thought which would bring the Talmud into existence is already to be found in Second Temple debates. What makes the Jesus-Pilate conversation interesting is that Jesus does not answer. This is not a dogmatic teacher but one who, by leaving space, encourages the listener to dive into the question for themselves.

Thus I have found, at different times across a lengthening life, that I have believed that there is truth to be found and, at other times, that there is none. I am now of the opinion that there sometimes is and sometimes isn't, depending on circumstances, context and the validity of the problem/question/statement examined.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Simonthepilgrim‌ My short answer is that skepticism is an epistemological method of requiring sufficient justification and/or evidence for a claim before believing it. It's about making sure you aren't hoodwinked by the sea of ignorance that humans perpetuate, it's not about denying truths. We have thousands of religions, we have pseudosciences like homeopathy and astrology, and they're all put forth as "truth" by those who believe them. I want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible (thank you Matt Dillahunty), and I've always looked with a critical eye upon the truth claims that humans make.

I think people in general are skeptical of everyone else's claims (new claims), but not those things they've been taught themselves (likely raised to believe). My parents are Christians, but they were never able to convince me that Christianity was the one true religion, with the one true god. While remaining skeptical, I've still come to be a Buddhist as an adult. Skepticism doesn't keep you from the truth, it just acts as a safeguard to keep you from believing unsubstantiated claims. The truth will win out. You still, of course, need to have the will to seek the truth... to test the claims. I'm sure there are "apathetic skeptics" out there, but I've always been driven to figure this life out. I don't think humankind would be so divided over religion if people could start thinking skeptically in regards to that one off-limits area: their own beliefs. At the very least they could take a step back and say "I may be wrong. At least I won't kill you because you believe differently. Maybe I'll even treat you as an equal."

That's all I care to get into right now. Hope it helps. You sound very reasonable @Simonthepilgrim‌ and I might want to talk about it with you via PM, but most people have reacted very poorly and I don't want to get into that again on an open thread. The entire tangent came about as someone calling me out as being superior for posting that Christians take a lot more on faith than I do (an honest and true reply to the OP), and it's felt like one long personal attack.

Shoshin
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

What brought me to the wisdom of Buddhism was the Dalai Lama's words in "The Art of Happiness" explaining that it is helpful to already have a spiritual grounding and that this should be welcomed as a part of each individual and can be built upon with wisdom wherever it is found.

I happen to believe in a power greater than me and that that power loved me enough to become man so that I could learn of that love. I also believe that this power loves me enough to have put "The Art of Happiness" in my hands.

I am so saddened when "Christians" seek to judge. We are told "judge not that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:37).

Old thread, I know, but can't we all make this world a better place together?

In love - Sarah

• SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.

Joseph Campbell

• LiiLii Explorer

Perhaps every myth has great value until it becomes a religion and then mixes with politics.