Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The EightFold Path

124»

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    LOL!!
    I thought men LOVED to vacuum? Poor Orgazmo! What a taskmaster he has. No wonder he ran away.

(This MUST be a violation of the ENTIRE Eightfold Path.)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Urm.... Where would you like me to start.....? :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Urm.... Where would you like me to start.....? :)

Instead, I could just stop.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Nah...... that woul be daft.... grab the dog-leash and we'll just keep walking...!! ;)
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    :wtf: :eekblue:

That's his expression exactly. What a marvelous likeness. :smilec:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I caught part of it the other night. That was a hoot. The "Orgazmatron" was definitely a machine I wouldn't want to mess with. I'm hoping to catch it from the beginning some night.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    OH!! IT's a MOVIE!! (Oh, God. I'm SO embarrassed.)
  • edited February 2006
    Besides, the monkey already types so well. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    I caught part of it the other night. That was a hoot. The "Orgazmatron" was definitely a machine I wouldn't want to mess with. I'm hoping to catch it from the beginning some night.

Digging deep in my memory (like going through an old attic these days) wasn't the Orgazmatron the invention of the Fiendish Duran Duran (Milo O'shea) in Barbarella? Sneaked in to see that underage in Penzance cinema.
    edited February 2006
    OK, AND I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT ANYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT......!!
    :o :rolleyesc :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    OK, AND I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT ANYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT......!!
    :o :rolleyesc :lol:

Orgazmatron was mentioned - someone thought it was a dog, conversation continued in this vein until someone mentioned seeing it and the context suggested film. I am under the impression it was a rather useful device which featured in the film Barbarella starring Jane Fonda.

I might be wrong - but don't worry, when ZMG said about three legged dogs, I nearly jumped in with both size 8s going "Oh you've got a 3-legged dog too, how lovely" but something stopped me. Unusual innit?

AND THIS IS A FIRST. I GET TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO FEDE FOR A CHANGE YEY YEYE YEYE :uphand: :vimp:
    edited February 2006
    ooooooh! Right...!! It all makes sense to me now.....! :crazy:

... And this is relevant, because.....???
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The teacher of one of my teachers:

Wilhelm Reich

Wilhelm Reich "Man's right to know, to learn, to inquire, to make bona fide errors, to investigate human emotions must, by all means, be safe, if the word FREEDOM should ever be more than an empty political slogan." So spoke Wilhelm Reich, right before the U.S. government burned all of his books and papers, destroyed his orgone accumulators, and threw him in prison in 1957.

Ah the '50s. The Age of McCarthyism. Decade of poodle skirts, sock hops, and toasty evenings around the book-burning bonfire. But Wilhelm Reich's persecutions were not the result of Communist activities. In fact, the FBI had given him a clean bill of health in this arena (after a mere 7 years investigation).

Instead the trouble began when some journalist named Mildred Brandy got her knickers in a twist over Reich's unusual theories -- one of these being the notion that every individual should have a healthy satisfying sex life. In the '50s. Imagine! Additionally he had this idea that a lack of sex could inhibit the flow of something called "orgone" -- Reich's word for life force (before "chi" and "prana" became trendy). And he had built a machine called the Orgone Box, or orgone accumulator to restore those who were overly depleted.
    edited February 2006
    .....Oh Good grief.....! :wow: :rolleyesc
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    And the right wing of America wants to return to the Goodl old days of the 50's. Maybe it's because of this lack of a decent sex life that this is occurring. Or they feel guilty about the sex they are having. Not sure which but I'm more for progress.
  • edited February 2006
    And he had built a machine called the Orgone Box, or orgone accumulator to restore those who were overly depleted.

Ummmmm do you think you can get them on eBay?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

I might be wrong - but don't worry, when ZMG said about three legged dogs, I nearly jumped in with both size 8s going "Oh you've got a 3-legged dog too, how lovely" but something stopped me...

Not unusual at all. I have a 3 legged dog who is missing part of an ear and is blind in one eye. His name's Lucky.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    LOL!
  • edited February 2006
    Oh alright - yes, I really do have a three legged dog, his name is Gavroche and he is at least 13 years old and suffers from canine altzheimers which means he goes outside for a pee, forgets why he went outside, comes in and pees in the kitchen and then looks accusingly at Dogge. He's got altzheimers but he ain't dumb!

And Jerry, I heard that one before - it was in the same programme where they got the misprint of a lost and found ad which read "Found in the region of Golders Green beautiful black tame rabbi."
  • edited February 2006
    Man Oh Man...I miss a day or so and I am COMPLETELY LOOOSSTT!!!!!:crazy:

We went from a maybe dog, to a movie, to Jane Fonda, to McCarthyism, to people comfessing they have a three legged dog and !!!

AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE?????:scratch:
  • edited February 2006
    Well, if you're here, now...you're in the right place. :winkc:
  • edited February 2006
    I do feel quite a comfort here....I miss you all when I miss a day or two! I wonder what every one is up to!!!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    This is the last week of the Noble Eightfold Path on the TNH thread. Are we going to pick this one up again. I have to say that after reading TNH's discussion, we could go on about this for the rest of our lives. Wanna try, Fede?
    edited February 2006
    I'm into the chapter, but things have been a little hectic for me this week... I promise I'll come in and contribute something tomorrow.... Thanks for the nudge, Jerbear.... I was thinking earlier today, that this thread needed re-visiting.... :)
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited January 2008
    Right View is something that we should focus on thinking about and practicing each day of our lives. I always welcome any examination of it......
  • edited January 2008
    Right View is something that we should focus on thinking about and practicing each day of our lives. I always welcome any examination of it......

Now that's what I call virtuous. I have no idea what right view means but I've frequently been told that I don't have it.

What was that old saying? One man's "right view" is another man's freedom fighter?

Nope, it's getting late...

Namaste
    Kris
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited January 2008
    I try to remind the younger people that I work with and teach here in Cambodia (students, teachers, monks and prisoners for the most part) to not be overly concerned or worried about the comments of others, especially if they are overly negaitve, critical or demeaning to us.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, wisdom and ignorance.

Listen to your heart as you walk and work the path that the Buddha discovered, formulated and provided for all of us.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Now that's what I call virtuous. I have no idea what right view means but I've frequently been told that I don't have it.

What was that old saying? One man's "right view" is another man's freedom fighter?

Nope, it's getting late...

Namaste
    Kris

In trying to understand and practise Right View (samyag drishti), I find this paragraph from Thich Nhat Hanh useful:
    Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. But if we look more deeply, we see that all views are wrong views. No view can ever be the truth. It is just from one point; that is why it is called a "point of view". If we go to another point, we will see things differently and realise that our first view was not entirely right. Buddhism is not a collection of views. It is a practice to help us eliminate wrong views. The quality of our views can always be improved. From the viewpoint of ultimate reality, Right View is the absence of all views.
    Thich Nhat Hanh The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching (Rider. 1998)
  • edited January 2008
    In trying to understand and practise Right View (samyag drishti), I find this paragraph from Thich Nhat Hanh useful:

Hi Simon,
    Very nice indeed - I'll go along with that.

Namaste
    Kris