Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where Do All Of You Work?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I work for the NHS although not sure how much longer that will be in the 'current economic climate'. Its a shame because I do like my job so will hold on in there as long as possible!
  • edited November 2010
    I work for the NHS although not sure how much longer that will be in the 'current economic climate'. Its a shame because I do like my job so will hold on in there as long as possible!

Welcome to the forum, Sophie. I hope things turn out well for you with regard to your job.
    Metta,
    S
  • edited November 2010
    I'm a student, I do transcribing on the side though, which is just listening to interviews and writing down what they say. It's not very interesting but it's easy money.
  • edited November 2010
    Full time student at Suffolk University.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    I used to work as a personnel practitioner in the (State) department of education, but opted to take early retirement due to anxiety disorder and depression.

Because of my few needs now-a-days, the pension and investment income is more than adequate for a comfortable living - but, for the wife and kids (all grown up now), no amount of income will be enough :D. They, like many others, think that there's something wrong with people finding contentment with a simple lifestyle. :)

I do wish that all those who are unemployed or earn inadequate income find themselves in better circumstances soon.

Metta

That is nice!
    Yea, some people just don't like to be simple:)
    What kind of investments?
    Any suggestions?
    Hope you are doing well.
    edited November 2010
    I haven't had a job for over 3 years now

Wow!
    How you liking it?
    Are you enjoying yourself?
    Are you a student?
  • edited November 2010
    LeonBasin wrote: »
    That is nice!
    Yea, some people just don't like to be simple:)
    Any suggestions?
    Hope you are doing well.

Earlier on, whenever I had some money to spare (just small amounts), I had invested it in shares (ones you can buy in small amounts), unit trusts, and money market. The income from these is modest, less than half of my pension income. But it helps!
    Any suggestions?
    All I can say is save consistently, every little counts, no amount is too small to save. But don't get caught up in the pursuit of amassing wealth and neglecting ones spirtual enrichment. The Vyagghapajja Sutta is aimed at 'rich' householders, but we all can benefit from the advice given therein. Sorry, I have no 'get rich quickly' ideas ;)
    Hope you are doing well.
    Yes, I am. Thanks. I've been 'practicing' Buddhism for about two years (will be exactly 2 years in January 2011) and this has to some extent enhanced the quality of life in terms of calm and peacefulness and helps me cope with my GAD.

With kind regards,
    S :)
    edited November 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Earlier on, whenever I had some money to spare (just small amounts), I had invested it in shares (ones you can buy in small amounts), unit trusts, and money market. The income from these is modest, less than half of my pension income. But it helps!
    Any suggestions?
    All I can say is save consistently, every little counts, no amount is too small to save. But don't get caught up in the pursuit of amassing wealth and neglecting ones spirtual enrichment. The Vyagghapajja Sutta is aimed at 'rich' householders, but we all can benefit from the advice given therein. Sorry, I have no 'get rich quickly' ideas ;)
    Hope you are doing well.
    Yes, I am. Thanks. I've been 'practicing' Buddhism for about two years (will be exactly 2 years in January 2011) and this has to some extent enhanced the quality of life in terms of calm and peacefulness and helps me cope with my GAD.

With kind regards,
    S :)

Thank you!
    Is there a basic resource online or a book I can read on investments?
    So, you suggest things like CD's and Stocks?
    Or small things like Cd's?
    What are the top three investment places you suggest?
    I don't care for rich schemes:)
    I just care to have a little bit saved up, so I can take days off work when I want.
    Or more like, not work that much and enjoy sunshine!:)
    And glad you are doing well:)
    Buddhism is definitely amazing.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hybridoma creation and monoclonal antibody production. It's about one billionth as interesting as it sounds.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I am disabled. If I can get meds working right for my condition (already a lot of improvement) I will look for a job that is pretty low stress. Might be hard to find.

I know - I have friends who have similar challenges and it is hard to find a stress free job. How about working in a doggy day care? Working with animals can be very rewarding, and going out walking with them would be good exercise for everybody!
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    Hybridoma creation and monoclonal antibody production. It's about one billionth as interesting as it sounds.

are you serious? what on earth is that? Do you spend a lot of time with petrie dishes?

everyone here seems to do interesting things. even the dish washing - I did that for a while and found it very conducive to my practice. a real challenge to just "do the dishes" without getting stressed or bitching about it.

As for me, I am retired after 25+ years as a policy wonk for the British Columbia government, forfeiting my soul for the furtherment of others' political ideals. I had to design and implement benefit programs for the poor and was responsible for figuring out how to reduce benefits - causing suffering to many, including people that I rode the bus with. Sat down once next to a single mom who I knew. She was stressing about how to manage once her day care subsidy was reduced. I didn't want to tell her that I was the person responsible for cutting her day care subsidy. Man that was tough! One day I arrived at work in tears and told my boss that I just couldn't do it that day and went home.

So now, to atone for my sins and to balance out my life, I volunteer once a week at a day shelter for street people. I work at the coffee bar and it is a lot of fun being part of that community, and what I do makes a difference to them.

I also volunteer once a week going on group outings with folks at a nearby seniors home. I've decided that I really like people with dementia - we go out in a group holding hands and pretending that we are "girls on the lam" as we head to the nearby museum's tea room.

For the last few weeks I've been working part time in a fabric store, which is nirvana for a fabric junky like me, but I think I might see if I can arrange a job share with one of the full time recreation therapists at the seniors' home. The pay would be better and its only two blocks away from my home.
    edited November 2010
    Barra wrote: »
    I know - I have friends who have similar challenges and it is hard to find a stress free job. How about working in a doggy day care? Working with animals can be very rewarding, and going out walking with them would be good exercise for everybody!
    Or a postman (not parcel delivery, that can be very stressful).
    edited November 2010
    are you serious? what on earth is that? Do you spend a lot of time with petrie dishes?
    Heh, yeah I'm serious. Basically I fuse two different kinds of cell together to make one that churns out antibodies like a mini factory, then people use the antibodies in tests for animal diseases. Kinda like Dr. Frankenstein but on a microscopic scale.
    Ideally I'd like to work in conservation, but frankly the pay is rubbish, the jobs are few and far between and the competition is massive, I am thinking of doing voluntary conservation work instead though.
    edited November 2010

everyone here seems to do interesting things. even the dish washing - I did that for a while and found it very conducive to my practice. a real challenge to just "do the dishes" without getting stressed or bitching about it.

As for me, I am retired after 25+ years as a policy wonk for the British Columbia government, forfeiting my soul for the furtherment of others' political ideals. I had to design and implement benefit programs for the poor and was responsible for figuring out how to reduce benefits - causing suffering to many, including people that I rode the bus with. Sat down once next to a single mom who I knew. She was stressing about how to manage once her day care subsidy was reduced. I didn't want to tell her that I was the person responsible for cutting her day care subsidy. Man that was tough! One day I arrived at work in tears and told my boss that I just couldn't do it that day and went home.

So now, to atone for my sins and to balance out my life, I volunteer once a week at a day shelter for street people. I work at the coffee bar and it is a lot of fun being part of that community, and what I do makes a difference to them.

I also volunteer once a week going on group outings with folks at a nearby seniors home. I've decided that I really like people with dementia - we go out in a group holding hands and pretending that we are "girls on the lam" as we head to the nearby museum's tea room.

For the last few weeks I've been working part time in a fabric store, which is nirvana for a fabric junky like me, but I think I might see if I can arrange a job share with one of the full time recreation therapists at the seniors' home. The pay would be better and its only two blocks away from my home.

Wow!
    That is an awesome story:)
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    Just Beautiful!
    Thanks!
    edited November 2010
    Heh, yeah I'm serious. Basically I fuse two different kinds of cell together to make one that churns out antibodies like a mini factory, then people use the antibodies in tests for animal diseases. Kinda like Dr. Frankenstein but on a microscopic scale.
    Ideally I'd like to work in conservation, but frankly the pay is rubbish, the jobs are few and far between and the competition is massive, I am thinking of doing voluntary conservation work instead though.

Very interesting and so true!
    Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    I don't currently work (in high school), hopefully I can get a job at the new cinema opening up. I am attempting to travel to China this summer to teach kids English - I have been told I am very good at teaching others and would love to be an EFL teacher. :p
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you!
    Is there a basic resource online or a book I can read on investments?
    So, you suggest things like CD's and Stocks?
    Or small things like Cd's?
    What are the top three investment places you suggest?
    I don't care for rich schemes:)
    I just care to have a little bit saved up, so I can take days off work when I want.
    Or more like, not work that much and enjoy sunshine!:)
    And glad you are doing well:)
    Buddhism is definitely amazing.

I've had some success with lending club (Peer to peer lending). I haven't invested much but I'm currently at a 10% return and slowly climbing. It works out well for me since I can invest in $25 increments. It's not without risk but I'm happy with it so far.
    edited November 2010
    Vincent JG wrote: »
    I've had some success with lending club (Peer to peer lending). I haven't invested much but I'm currently at a 10% return and slowly climbing. It works out well for me since I can invest in $25 increments. It's not without risk but I'm happy with it so far.

Wow, 10% return?
    Wow!
    I would love to hear more?
    Would that be possible?
  • edited November 2010
    I work for a large engineering firm, doing control systems design.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Wanna guess
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Wanna guess

A photographer?
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A photographer?
    :D Youv'e played this game before.:lol:
  • edited November 2010
    Wow, 10% return?
    Wow!
    I would love to hear more?
    Would that be possible?

Basically Lending Club is a form of social lending where you take on the role of the bank investing in 3 year and 5 year personal loans in $25 increments. You get paid back a small portion of the principle + interest each month. There is a risk of having a loan default in which case your out of the remaining principle of the loan. I've been investing for about 10 months now and only have one loan out of 35 that is having trouble paying on time.

http://www.lendingclub.com/public/about-us.action
  • edited November 2010
    Or a postman (not parcel delivery, that can be very stressful).

I like the idea of being a postie - although probably better in summer months than the winter ones :lol:
    edited November 2010
    Vincent JG wrote: »
    Basically Lending Club is a form of social lending where you take on the role of the bank investing in 3 year and 5 year personal loans in $25 increments. You get paid back a small portion of the principle + interest each month. There is a risk of having a loan default in which case your out of the remaining principle of the loan. I've been investing for about 10 months now and only have one loan out of 35 that is having trouble paying on time.

http://www.lendingclub.com/public/about-us.action

Interesting.
    Thank you!
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited November 2010
    self employed plasterer. i love working for myself.
    edited November 2010
    chanratt wrote: »
    self employed plasterer. i love working for myself.

:)
    How long did it take you to decide that is what you liked to do?
    Or that you enjoyed working for yourself?
  • edited November 2010
    Me, I was employed at officemax for 2 years. But, the situation has come where I can not stand working for the manager any longer... This saturday will be my last day there. Then, I look for another crap job to sustain myself until I find a good work-study program in Buddhism.
    edited November 2010
    Me, I was employed at officemax for 2 years. But, the situation has come where I can not stand working for the manager any longer... This saturday will be my last day there. Then, I look for another crap job to sustain myself until I find a good work-study program in Buddhism.

I understand.
    Did you go to school?
    If so, what you major in?
    I am in somewhat the same boat.
    Would love to do something in Buddhism.
    Not sure where to turn.
    Would love to speak to you sometime.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm one of the unemployed due to physical disability but I used to work in flowers (design). I come from a long line of florists (I was the 5th generation) and before we went under in 1997 we were the oldest family owned florist in North America. I loved working with flowers. I taught myself floral design by copying the pictures in the catalogues (FTD, Teleflora....the big books people look at when they want to send flowers to somebody out of town and need a picture to show them what it will look like...) then spent the next 17 or so years doing it professionally. Great work but extremely physically demanding during the major holidays. It wasn't unusual for me to be on my feet standing on a pile of flower stems and other green litter for 17 hours straight working like a maniac trying to keep up with the orders. I loved it though.

My last job was working in the kitchen of a hospital. Much bigger paycheck and unionized too. Unfortunately that's where I injured my back and even though I tired to go back to work five or so times I just wasn't able to keep up. The disability worsened steadily and now my functional ability is quite low and very unpredictable so it's impossible to hold any kind of job where people are depending on me. My back can go out at any moment. I do miss work terribly though. This forced early retirement has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But it's given me the time to really devote myself to Buddhism and the benefit that comes from that is immeasurable.

Marcus' post has me interested though:
    Marcus wrote: »
    I'm a student, I do transcribing on the side though, which is just listening to interviews and writing down what they say. It's not very interesting but it's easy money.
    Hi Marcus,

You've piqued my interest. Transcription is something I hadn't considered before. Maybe I could do that? I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for posting.

That is a great story, Barra. I love fabrics too, incidentally.
    edited November 2010
    Thank you for sharing Brigid!
    You probably could transcribe, or I would suggest looking online for stay at home jobs. There are a few legit ones. You could do some Freelance Writing on Floral type of topics.
    Go to: http://www.constant-content.com or http://www.associatedcontent.com
    http://www.helium.com is another.
    Also try: http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com As well as Craiglist, under the freelance writing jobs.
    I used to do Freelance Writing and made at least 400$ month, part time.
    I just don't have anymore, but I would do it if I could.
  • edited November 2010
    Security dog handler.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thank you for sharing Brigid!
    You probably could transcribe, or I would suggest looking online for stay at home jobs. There are a few legit ones. You could do some Freelance Writing on Floral type of topics.
    Go to: http://www.constant-content.com or http://www.associatedcontent.com
    http://www.helium.com is another.
    Also try: http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com As well as Craiglist, under the freelance writing jobs.
    I used to do Freelance Writing and made at least 400$ month, part time.
    I just don't have anymore, but I would do it if I could.
    $400 a month part time?!!? That's almost half of my monthly income. How great that would be. If I could write.....:buck:

Thanks so much for the advice, Leon. I've tossed around the freelance writing idea for a while but never thought to write about flowers and design. Duh. A subject I adore and actually know something about. I have a degree in history too but there are so many more qualified and knowledgeable people out there writing about history that I'm a bit intimidated.

In any case, I'll start researching work-from-home opportunities again. I do it every few months but it's been over 6 months now since I last looked into it so I better have a look see in case I'm missing something. I know how to spot a fraudulent online job opportunity pretty well now too so that's a good thing.

Thanks again! You guys have inspired me. :)
  • edited November 2010
    I'm currently a student taking too long in Uni. :lol:
  • edited November 2010
    I understand.
    Did you go to school?
    If so, what you major in?
    I am in somewhat the same boat.
    Would love to do something in Buddhism.
    Not sure where to turn.
    Would love to speak to you sometime.

I only have about a year of formal college under my belt. But I'm a bit of a scholar. I study anything and everything that interests me.

What I'm doing is trying to find the right retreat center or similar institute that offers a work-study program that I can participate in. I'm not interested in becoming a monk (not entirely anyhow, celibacy is about the only novice-monk vow I'm not ready to vow).

It's more a matter of having more meaning in my life, after working in retail for so many years I just need to do something in my life that has a little more meaning and relevance to me. What better than helping retreatants, learning more of the dharma, being in the environment to properly study and practice, and getting out of the city? (Been quite tired of living in the city for years now)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'm a bouncer.
    edited November 2010
    Thank you all!:0
    edited November 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    $400 a month part time?!!? That's almost half of my monthly income. How great that would be. If I could write.....:buck:

Thanks so much for the advice, Leon. I've tossed around the freelance writing idea for a while but never thought to write about flowers and design. Duh. A subject I adore and actually know something about. I have a degree in history too but there are so many more qualified and knowledgeable people out there writing about history that I'm a bit intimidated.

In any case, I'll start researching work-from-home opportunities again. I do it every few months but it's been over 6 months now since I last looked into it so I better have a look see in case I'm missing something. I know how to spot a fraudulent online job opportunity pretty well now too so that's a good thing.

Yea, it was pretty good!:)
    You definitely have to put your work in.
    The more you write the easier it gets.
    Definitely search for work-from-home jobs and see what you get.
    There is a lot of fakes/hoaxes and there is a few good ones:)
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2010
    Brigid wrote: »

Yes, I too long to be a writer but it's not easy and I can't seem to bring myself to get anything published because I always think I'm no good at writing.

I'd much rather be a writer then the role I'm in now although I enjoy my job it doesn't fill my creative needs.

Goodluck to you!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I'm currently a low-paid labourer at a ceramic tile manufacturer.

Correction. I'm currently a low-paid labourer at a ceramic tile manufacturer until the end of year. After that, I'll just be another unemployed jag freaking out about how to pay the bills.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I live with my parents, so I don't "need" a job, but i'd like one and can't find one. Have applied at quite a few places and not even gotten a call. I don't really have any experience.

I live with my girlfriend's parents sort of, I have an eco-apparent rented out for me because my premarital sex is an abomination to God. I haven't had a job in welllll over a year and I just seem to never turn in an app.
    edited December 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Correction. I'm currently a low-paid labourer at a ceramic tile manufacturer until the end of year. After that, I'll just be another unemployed jag freaking out about how to pay the bills.

Aww!
    Anyone else?
  • my first career was stay at home mom.
    then finished my 4 year degree at age 36.
    current career is mental health nurse, some management and some patient care.
    i finished my MBA just a few months ago at age 48.

I am lucky in that i really love what i do and i'm with a good company now. It took about a decade to finally find the nursing niche for me.
  • This is a really interesting thread!

I'm a software engineer, just started like 5 months ago right out of college. But I'm thinking... I want to do something else with my life. I'm an artist through and through. And I've always loved teaching. And my struggles over the last 2 and a half years really make me want to help others. So we'll see what happens. If I can make it through the year at this gig, maybe I'll look at changing things up a bit. I'd even kind of love to become a Buddhist nun. But with the way the money works out, it's really in my best interest to stay at this job for at least a year. Then I can pay off my college loans and stuff.

Best of luck to everyone in their pursuits! But most of all, in the pursuit of being content with what we have. :)
  • I'm an undergraduate psychology student at the moment. Afterwords I'll go to graduate school for Ph.D
    Interesting Hawkins!
    I would love to speak to you somemore.
    As I am trying to get my BS in Psychology.
    Stuck if I should get my Masters in Psychology or Masters in English.
    Wow Tammy!:)
    Thanks Cristina!
  • high school student
    :_)
  • Leon - sure! I've been a psychology freak for a long... long... time now haha.
    I'm trying to decide if I'd rather minor in philosophy, religion, or law