Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are we the body?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited December 2010 in Philosophy
It seems that all of our suffering comes from the identification with our body (or rather belief in the thought that thinks 'I' am the body).. and creates the subsequent struggle to survive.

We need food, water and money to survive. So we spend our whole lives trying to provide these things for ourselves and our offspring. Unfortunately, almost half of the world lives in poverty and due to their identification with the body suffers because they can't even provide these basic needs for themselves.

Is enlightenment merely a shift in perception? A natural shift from identification with body.. (and all the sensations, emotions, thoughts) that come along with it to a simple awareness that views the body as a fun tool to experience itself (life) with.

From this viewpoint, it seems one can objectively observe seemingly 'horrible' events such as starvation, thirst, poverty.

Have we just incorrectly identified ourselves with this skin bag and all that comes with it?
Who are we really?
What is this 'I'?

Thanks for your time.

:)

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I don't think the body is the sole reason to provide. We go beyond what the body needs and go onto all we can get and then some. Why? Comparison, competition and downright ignorance plays a much more stronger role than the desire to provide.

In fact, I think the desire to provide is actually a good thing. It's what gets many people out of slums and up on their feet. It's what keeps society functioning. I don't mean providing for yourself, but also for your family and for your community or for the less fortunate.

If preventing hunger, thirst and being stabbed was what suffering meant, wouldn't the rich be free of suffering?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited November 2010
    So suffering is all in the way you perceive reality even if you're hungry, thirsty or getting stabbed?
  • edited November 2010
    There are 3 kinds of suffering.

1) The suffering of change. Even pleasant sensations will end. And that sucks.
    2) The suffering of suffering. Some things, like getting sick and aging and dying, just suck.
    3) The suffering of uncontrollable rebirths. This will continue to suck until the roots are removed.

As long as the 5 aggregates are aggregated, there will be #2.

(I mean, just look at the accounts of Gautama's death: he was bleeding from his ass at the time. He maintained composure of course, but he was still bleeding from his ass.)

At death the aggregates will come apart and, unless #3 has been solved, there will be #2 again.
  • edited November 2010
    No, we are not the body. We are the spirit that encompasses the body. 'I am That'

Everything exists not because of its own sake but because the Self dwells in it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    ravkes wrote: »
    Who are we really?
    What is this 'I'?

In a conventional sense, nama-rupa... the mind-body complex.
    1. Form (Body and Sense-Doors)
    2. Sensation (Sight, Sound, Taste, Touch, Smell)
    3. Perception
    4. Mental Formation (Thoughts)
    5. Consciousness (our awareness)
    No one of these could be called the "self" or "I", because they are all dependently originated and interdependent; impermanent. Many believe, or follow teachings that stipulate, that the consciousness through a process of rebirth continues to constitute new life (and is the reason for this life). Though taught/expounded as a means of causality, a continuity of consciousness but not the "same" consciousness, many also take this to be the "I" and attach to this in much the same way one might attach to the idea of a soul.

In a more advanced sense, one can not be said to be the mind-body itself at all, for these are only experiences through "mind". Rather, only through the six senses do we experience our world, so only those are what "we" are:

Mind-consciousness, Body/Touch-consciousness, Sight-consciousness, Smell-consciousness, Ear-consciousness and Tongue-consciousness

Even in this view, all compounded phenomena are conditioned, impermanent and not-self. To posit that there is an unchanging or eternal "I" that is the experiencer/observer (or any permanence whatsoever) is called the eternity view. To posit that there is nothing which is reborn, no life after death, is nihilism. Either of these views are astray from the Buddha's teachings and fall under "Wrong View".

The Buddha's doctrine and discipline instead posit a Middle Way between these extremes, by acknowledging the experiences themselves without identifying a separate/independent "self", as follows.

Right View [in regards to the "self"] is that sights are sights, sounds are sounds, tastes are tastes, smells are smells, sensations are sensations, thoughts are thoughts, feelings are feelings, perceptions are perceptions, awareness is awareness (consciousness). There is no "I", no controlling or permanent entity with ownership, of any experience. This is my understanding of the teachings; I hope that it is helpful.

Namaste
  • nlightennlighten Explorer
    edited November 2010
    all suffering comes from ignorance or non awareness.... Thinking that we are the body is false and ignorance that is why it results in suffering. There is no "I" that lies in the body, for example if you cut your finger off are you still you? if you cut your arm off are you still you? and what point does it end? and without surrounding conditions could there even be a body? no? then is the "I" surrounding conditions...no, and is the "I" the body..no, it is more as if it is both and neither of these.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited November 2010
    So we're essentially nothing in particular.
    In light of this discovery, why still continue to feed the body.
    Is it because it turns from a struggle into a mysterious game so no external need is required to live through form?

What is controlling all this?
  • edited November 2010
    I think that the heart of this question revolves around Realitive Vs. Ultimite truth.

Right now, most of us have a very strong attachment to the body as a result of eons of habits an re enforcement that occur as a result of our time in Samsara. We are required to care for this body as best we can so that it will sustain us in our efforts to follow the Dharma Teachings. We should also not be in needless pain, our own suffering is important as well. This is realitive Truth.

Of course, I say this after having eaten 5 slices of Pizza for Lunch :)

As our preceptions change, and we begin to overcome these negitive habits, our attachment to this body will lessen as well move closer to the ultimute truth (nirvania}

In the End , our mindstream will move on after death untill the point when we gain complete Enlightenment.

There is a very good leason about this in the movie "Little Buddha"

One of the monks, holding his cup of tea explains that the body is the cup, the mind the tea. He then slams his cup down on his desk, breaking it and the tea runs all over the floor. The monk remarks that the tea is still tea, even if on the floor or in a rag.

So, in the end, we are not the Body, we just think that we are.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    So we're essentially nothing in particular.
    In light of this discovery, why still continue to feed the body.
    Is it because it turns from a struggle into a mysterious game so no external need is required to live through form?

What is controlling all this?
    "So we're essentially nothing in particular" If you want to conclude that emptiness= nothingness that's Nihilism. The Buddha did not teach this, he taught the middle way. It's in understanding the five aggregates as events, dependent arisings or empty arises. This understanding leads to the cessation of suffering. It's when you want to act and think that your mind, body, thoughts, consciousness and feelings are real, permenant (basically you go against reality) and you identify these things as being yourself that causes you to suffer.
    From the Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic:
    "Form, O monks, is not-self; if form were self, then form would not lead to affliction and it should obtain regarding form: 'May my form be thus, may my form not be thus'; and indeed, O monks, since form is not-self, therefore form leads to affliction and it does not obtain regarding form: 'May my form be thus, may my form not be thus".
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html
    We live in a relative world, that's why one eats and does not jump in front of trains.
    As to your last question, I am not sure what you are asking.
    With Metta,
    Todd
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sometimes I'm sight, sometimes I'm sound, sometimes I'm thought; but I'm not any of these nor other than these. It's only when I forget this that I'm me. Only I suffer and am reborn.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The middle way. Harmony of mind and heart
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Providing for the body can be skillful. But no the body is not the self. It will decay.
  • edited November 2010
    The body is a temporary construction, it is impermanent, as such it can not be identified with as a true existent. So no, we are not the body. Buddhism teaches that with the end of craving comes the highest bliss which is not body but the cessation from future rebirths.
  • edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Providing for the body can be skillful. But no the body is not the self. It will decay.

And the self lives on without the body? No, it dies when the body dies.

Interdependence means we are everything that happens to us, our body and our mind.

If nothing else, we are our torsos and our head and neck :D Cut one of those out and you die.

I think the simple truth is that we are what we want to be. Meaning is not inherent, but something we attribute to something. Some people identify themselves with their ego, some with their body, some with their awareness. In the end, it's all about choice. Some choices might bring about more suffering then others, but there is no inherent truth to identity, imo.

If something being impermanent is reason enough not to identify with it, then we can identify with anything because there is nothing impermanent that is not common to all (like time, even though it's also a relative concept). In the end, it's all about choice.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    There is only choice when there is a chooser. In the end, there's no separate self or "ghost in the machine". That is not to say the self is destroyed, but rather that separation and duality is seen to have never truly existed to begin with. The true self remains, which is not "I"; unborn and deathless.

In the beginning, it's all about choice... :)

Namaste
  • edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    There is only choice when there is a chooser. In the end, there's no separate self or "ghost in the machine". That is not to say the self is destroyed, but rather that separation and duality is seen to have never truly existed to begin with. The true self remains, which is not "I".

In the beginning, it's all about choice... :)

The bold is incoherent with the rest of what you said before (which I agree with).

I think what is confusing sometimes when people talk about these things, is the idea that there even IS a true self. That behind the "illusion" of consciousness there is something else. There is no true self. But there is a self. It's what you make of it.

I ask you, what is there beyond the "I" then?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It's not incoherent, just not understood. When you take away the thinking based on separation and duality, on "I" and "not I", what you have left is what's truly there.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    I ask you, what is there beyond the "I" then?
    you
  • edited November 2010
    It's not incoherent, just not understood. When you take away the thinking based on separation and duality, on "I" and "not I", what you have left is what's truly there.

Well if there is no duality and no separation, there is also no identity. So there's nothing there. Does a rock have an "I"? It's an assembly of atoms. Just as we are. Does that make us the same? From a certain point of view I guess. But that doesn't really help with anything. Abstract concepts like identity are a tool.
    patbb wrote: »
    you

And what exactly can I attribute to this "me"? And is this "me" different from "you"?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The awakened one does not identify themselves with the aggregates; complete non-identification. Yet, they're still alive; still something. It's on a different level than the normal worldly (conceptual) one we live on, which is why enlightenment is so difficult to describe and impossible to truly know unless that is your state of mind.

There is as you say "no identity", but that doesn't take away anything that's truly there. Identity is wrongly applied to begin with. :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    And what exactly can I attribute to this "me"? And is this "me" different from "you"?
    please take one look at my signature.

Right now you are like an astronaut who can get in a rocket ship and launch in space.

But you are sitting there and trying to understand how the heck can the planet earth be round.
    You want to know, you want to understand. Torturing yourself.

But you could just step in the rocket ship and launch into space.
    Once there, you will see the round planet earth and you will not have to understand any of the theory at all, you will just know that the planet is spherical.
  • edited November 2010
    The awakened one does not identify themselves with the aggregates; complete non-identification. Yet, they're still alive; still something. It's on a different level than the normal worldly (conceptual) one we live on, which is why enlightenment is so difficult to describe and impossible to truly know unless that is your state of mind.

There is as you say "no identity", but that doesn't take away anything that's truly there. Identity is wrongly applied to begin with. :)

A guy in a coma is still something. The coma doesn't take away anything that's truly there either. This idea of what is truly there, is sometimes my problem with this. What is truly is there is what we truly perceive to be there.

patbb wrote: »
    please take one look at my signature.

Right now you are like an astronaut who can get in a rocket ship and launch in space.

But you are sitting there and trying to understand how the heck can the planet earth be round.
    You want to know, you want to understand. Torturing yourself.

But you could just step in the rocket ship and launch into space.
    Once there, you will see the round planet earth and you will not have to understand any of the theory at all, you will just know that the planet is spherical.

I don't trust the astronauts who built the ship. I build my own ships.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I don't trust the astronauts who built the ship. I build my own ships.
    exactly.

This is why you shouldn't believe anyone, just go see for yourself.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dun worry about it Epi. If we understood everything, we'd already be enlightened. :) This is the purpose of our meditative practice (and other factors of the Noble Eightfold Path), to add those elements of direct experience that are otherwise outside of our knowledge... which shed light on those teachings that confound us. Deeper and deeper our understanding grows with the effort we put into our practice until the mind blossoms. It all comes together. We, each of us, are on that path at some point and must continue to "strive diligently" as the Buddha admonished his monks before his death.
  • edited December 2010
    We identify with our body and therefore believe that we are material, and solid. This understanding has become so embedded in our belief systems that we rarely question it. Though investigation we can see it is not so. Self cannot be found in the body.

We're just renting we do not own. Nothing permanent to become attached to.

Our bodies, our senses, provide a connection to life that is happening right now. It works in a most amazing way.

Self cannot be found in the mind either. Stories, thoughts, memories, dreams, ego, yes. But no self. Empty of Self.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    filosophia wrote: »
    No, we are not the body. We are the spirit that encompasses the body. 'I am That'

Everything exists not because of its own sake but because the Self dwells in it.
    I would say the truth is the exact opposite of what you've said here.

To the OP, you're confusing suffering that can be extinguished with suffering that cannot be. Living in extreme poverty, starving and dehydrated cannot be alleviated by practicing the dharma, only the mental anguish associated with such conditions can be.

The Buddha taught a Middle Way, between indulgence and asceticism, living in extreme poverty is like forced asceticism and having to exist in such a state makes practicing the dharma more difficult. We are the body as much as we are the mind, do not feed the body, do not water the body and the mind deteriorates and no amount of dissociating oneself from one's bodily experience will hinder that deterioration.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    I would say the truth is the exact opposite of what you've said here.

To the OP, you're confusing suffering that can be extinguished with suffering that cannot be. Living in extreme poverty, starving and dehydrated cannot be alleviated by practicing the dharma, only the mental anguish associated with such conditions can be.

The Buddha taught a Middle Way, between indulgence and asceticism, living in extreme poverty is like forced asceticism and having to exist in such a state makes practicing the dharma more difficult. We are the body as much as we are the mind, do not feed the body, do not water the body and the mind deteriorates and no amount of dissociating oneself from one's bodily experience will hinder that deterioration.

You're right. But one can possibly be in these types of conditions and not suffer? I suppose this is one of the few hang-ups I have with the dharma, how can those who are stuck in extreme poverty realize nibbana?
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You're right. But one can possibly be in these types of conditions and not suffer? I suppose this is one of the few hang-ups I have with the dharma, how can those who are stuck in extreme poverty realize nibbana?
    With great difficulty. Nothing is impossible, but like the Buddha realised, if you're so hungry and/or thirsty that you can't think straight, you're gonna have a hard time comprehending the 8-fold path, let alone follow it.
  • edited December 2010
    Just like the thread "Who are you" the answer to this question is found in the Heart Suttra.
    I have pasted a copy of the Heart Suttra in that thread
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It was due to his and others' suffering in these camps that he came to his hallmark conclusion that even in the most absurd, painful and dehumanized situation, life has potential meaning and that therefore even suffering is meaningful.

Another important conclusion for Frankl was:
    If a prisoner felt that he could no longer endure the realities of camp life, he found a way out in his mental life– an invaluable opportunity to dwell in the spiritual domain, the one that the SS were unable to destroy. Spiritual life strengthened the prisoner, helped him adapt, and thereby improved his chances of survival.
    Frankl's concentration camp experiences thus shaped both his therapeutic approach and philosophical outlook, as reflected in his seminal publications. He often said that even within the narrow boundaries of the concentration camps he found only two races of men to exist: decent and unprincipled ones. These were to be found in all classes, ethnicities, and groups.