Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating on concepts

edited December 2010 in Meditation
I struggle with this. I don't have much of a problem meditating on the breath anymore. I am able to still my thoughts quite well. I struggle, however, with meditation on other things like concepts. I can do analytical meditation, since this is basically contemplation which I do all the time anyways. But when it comes to focusing on the conclusion or main point I really struggle. It just seems so strange i'm just not used to it at all.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    If you're having to struggle, then don't do it.
    Let Go.
    Don't grasp.
    release.
  • edited December 2010
    Perhaps you have not familiarized yourself with the concept well enough?? I dunno.

I suggest: Read. Read. Read. Read. Until that concept you are studying can be incorporated (lit. taken into the body). Make it your own. So when you are in a state of concentration and calmness, and next you (seeking insight) bring to consciousness the particular concept, it will seem that much more familiar.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I struggle with this. I don't have much of a problem meditating on the breath anymore. I am able to still my thoughts quite well. I struggle, however, with meditation on other things like concepts. I can do analytical meditation, since this is basically contemplation which I do all the time anyways. But when it comes to focusing on the conclusion or main point I really struggle. It just seems so strange i'm just not used to it at all.
    can you give a concrete example?

like what concept? what exactly are you doing when you say you are "meditating on the concept"?
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »

Just do samadhi. The book knowledge can be a hindrance so don't worry so much about it. Analytical meditation in the Buddhist sense as I understand it is not actively thinking but allowing insight to arise (and clarify naturally) as the strength of samadhi takes place. In that case, you are not sitting there thinking. A friend once said 'If you want to think, do it after' which I found to be good advice. It's easy to worry that nothing is happening during meditation but if you are really doing the meditation (as per your tradition and teacher) then my experience that is enough.
  • edited December 2010
    I think an example would be nice too.

To me, what you call "analytical meditation" seems to be the right way to go about it. You take a concept...say "world hunger" is the concept you want to meditate on. So you take that concept, and you focus on it...and you allow your brain to come up with thought after thought about world hunger. You don't try to focus on conclusion or on a main point, but instead you let your brain consider it from all angles.

So..in a way, you are analyzing, but also you are not analyzing because you are not trying to rationalize anything. You just let your brain explore the concept openly.

Does that help?

Edit: Just realized "world hunger" was a poor example...as its not really a concept. Its a fact. An unfortunate one at that.
    edited December 2010
    With anapanasati, 'mindfulness of breathing', you are concentrating on the rhythm. I found it most helpful for learning to slow down rather than doing everything quickly -- like thinking -- you're concentrating on a rhythm that is much slower than your thoughts. But anapanasati requires you to slow down, it has a gentle rhythm to it. So we stop thinking: we are content with one inhalation, one exhalation -- taking all the time in the world, just to be with one inhalation, from the beginning to the middle and end.

If you're trying to get samadhi (concentration) from anapanasati, then you have already set a goal for yourself -- you're doing this in order to get something for yourself, so anapanasati becomes a very frustrating experience, you become angry with it. Can you stay with just one inhalation? To be content with just one exhalation? To be content with just the simple little span you have to slow down, don't you?

When you're aiming to get jhana (absorption) from this meditation and you're really putting a lot of effort into it, you are not slowing down, you're trying to get something out of it, trying to achieve and attain rather than humbly being content with one breath. The success of anapanasati is just that much -- mindful for the length of one inhalation, for the length of one exhalation. Establish your attention at the beginning and the end -- or beginning, middle and end. This gives you some definite points for reflection, so that if your mind wanders a lot during the practice, you pay special attention, scrutinising the beginning, the middle and the end. If you don't do this then the mind will tend to wander.

All our effort goes into just that; everything else is suppressed during that time, or discarded. Reflect on the difference between inhalation and exhalation -- examine it. Which do you like best? Sometimes the breathing will seem to disappear; it becomes very fine. The body seems to be breathing by itself and you get this strange feeling that you're not going to breathe. It's a bit frightening.

But this is an exercise; you centre on the breathing, without trying to control it at all. Sometimes when you are concentrating on the nostrils, you feel that the whole body is breathing. The body keeps breathing, all on its own.

- Ajahn Sumedho
    Anapanasati
    Don’t try to stop the thinking when you are practicing zazen. Let it stop. If something comes into your mind let it come and let it go out. It will not stay long. But if you try to stop it, it means you are bothered by it. Don’t be bothered by anything. Actually we say something comes from outside, but it is…actually it is the waves of your mind, so wave cannot be…will stay…will become more and more calm. So in five minutes or at most ten minutes your mind will be completely serene and calm. At that time your breathing becomes pretty slow, while your pulse of your hand becomes a little bit faster. We don’t know why, but if you will check your pulse (you, yourself cannot do it but it appears in that way). It takes pretty long time before you get calm, serene mind in your practice, but even though you have waves in your mind that is waves in your own mind. Nothing comes out from out here. Nothing can bother…nothing can cause any trouble for your mind. You make your mind disturbed…bothered by…you make waves of your mind.

- Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
    When Trungpa Rinpoche came to the West and was teaching in the early days in Vermont at what used to be called Tail of the Tiger (now Karme Choling), he used to tell the students: "Just sit and let your mind open and rest— let yourself be completely open with an open mind, and whenever you get distracted and find yourself thinking— in other words when you are no longer fully in the present and are carried away— simply just come back again to resting your mind in an open state."

- Pema Chodron
  • edited December 2010
    I'm meditating using the techniques recommended by the dalai lama in his books. You start out trying to logically and rationally prove to yourself a concept. Once you firmly understand why it must be true, then you focus on that feeling that you get upon conclusion. Only if you lose that feeling are you supposed to start analyzing again, but whenever I do it I want to start analyzing again before long.

I feel like so many people on here act like you're not supposed to use your mind at all. I've never read anything by a real buddhist teacher who suggests such a thing. The dalai lama makes clear that "insight" is gained, in part, by using your brain and thinking logically.
  • edited December 2010
    indeed it is but one's understanding of ultimate reality is something that must be experienced, rather than simply known, one has to both know by head and by heart. you COULD just do zazen while instead of doing any breathing or awareness exercises just dive into your mind and contemplate freely, not denying truths or affirming them but investigating in a free flow of thinking and philosophizing.
  • edited December 2010
    TheJourney: You are meditating on concepts all the time. That's what it is to be a sentient being. This is just another subject matter with a particular kind of reasoning.

Partly what is necessary to do this is a good foundation in shamatha-- then your mind will be a bit more pliable and will stay on whatever you put it on. My advice is not to worry so much about the tendency to uncontrolled analysis. It will lessen over time as you get used to the practice. The most important thing is not to be too aggressive with the mind.

If you really find you can't stay with the feeling for any time, I would get up and walk around, stretch, etc. then sit down and just do shamatha for five or ten minutes. That should help to ground you enough to gain some pliability.
  • edited December 2010
    All i've ever done, before a couple days ago, is meditation on the breath. With that I have no trouble staying focused on the breath without distracting thoughts. And metta meditation a couple times but that's different too. I'm just not used to different kinds of meditation. I've only tried it like twice. Just need to get used to it.
  • edited December 2010
    It's good to experiment, but you should find a meditation instructor to help you with any issues that come up. What you are encountering is very much a normal part of beginning any sort of meditation practice.
  • edited December 2010
    Finding a teacher/meditation instructor isn't an option right now. There's no buddhist centers anywhere near me that don't charge, and i'm broke so that's not an option. I'm independent though, i'll be able to work out the kinks. It was already better yesterday than the first time I tried it. And i've made great strides on meditation on the breath. Just takes practice.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The notion of meditating on concepts is like looking to lighten the load by shouldering a knapsack full of rocks. It's not just foolish -- it also doesn't work. The old Zen teacher Huang Po/Obaku could really get cranky when his monks brought him one elevated concept or another. The following quote gives some hint and yet hardly scratches the surface of the crankiness he seemed to reserve for concepts:

To make use of your minds to think conceptually is to leave the substance [of Mind, Buddha] and attach yourselves to form.
    The Mind is no mind of conceptual thought, and it is completely detached from form.... There are those who, upon hearing this teaching, rid themselves of conceptual thought in a flash.... But whether they transcend conceptual thought by a longer or shorter way, the result is a state of BEING: there is no practicing and no action of realizing. That there is nothing which can be attained is not idle talk; it is the truth.
    If you would spend all your time – walking, standing, sitting or lying down – learning to halt the concept-forming activities of your own mind, you could be sure of ultimately attaining the goal.
  • edited December 2010
    genkaku wrote: »
    It's not just foolish -- it also doesn't work.

Including meditating on emptiness? I thought that was essentially what special insight was.
  • edited December 2010
    Some people like to meditate like a log. This might be good for logs.
  • edited December 2010
    That there is nothing which can be attained is not idle talk; it is the truth.

:uphand::uphand::uphand::uphand::uphand:
    edited December 2010
    Including meditating on emptiness? I thought that was essentially what special insight was.

If you can tell me what emptiness is, perhaps I will try meditating on it. On the other hand, if you could tell me what emptiness was, that wouldn't be emptiness, would it? That would just be "emptiness."
  • edited December 2010
    If you can tell me what emptiness is, perhaps I will try meditating on it. On the other hand, if you could tell me what emptiness was, that wouldn't be emptiness, would it? That would just be "emptiness."

Maybe the search for emptiness has to begin with "emptiness".

IMHO calm abiding is eventually insufficient, at that point there has to be a view.
  • edited December 2010
    I could tell you all I want about an eggroll. How delicious it is, what it looks like, the texture of it, the temperature of it, the taste of it.

But it still wouldn't be the eggroll.

:)
  • edited December 2010
    All well and good if you want to excise the bulk of Lord Shakyamuni's teaching. Most of what he taught was conceptual meditation. Besides, the OP asked specifically about help on meditating on concepts-- not a macho dismissal of concepts as being unworthy. Sheesh.
    edited December 2010
    Maybe the search for emptiness has to begin with "emptiness".

IMHO calm abiding is eventually insufficient, at that point there has to be a view.

Yes, I think that is probably true: What other option is there when seeking the truth than to address and penetrate the lies?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Concepts can be used to free us of grasping to concepts. Concepts are not the problem. Grasping is.

Use the rod to unplug the drain. But don't get the rod stuck in the drain.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, I think that is probably true: What other option is there when seeking the truth than to address and penetrate the lies?

First stabilizing the mind and making it strong enough for the endeavour of piercing the lies, for one. The Buddha laid out a very robust path in constantly unfolding waves of provisional and definitive meaning to lead sentient beings to freedom from disturbing concepts.
    edited December 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    All well and good if you want to excise the bulk of Lord Shakyamuni's teaching. Most of what he taught was conceptual meditation. Besides, the OP asked specifically about help on meditating on concepts-- not a macho dismissal of concepts as being unworthy. Sheesh.

This seems more to do with what you understanding, but I am happy to explore teachings.

Here are a few Tibetan ones which you may be familiar with -
    As worldly existence arises from conceptualization, it is itself a conceptual thought. Therefore, the discarding of every conceptualization is the supreme state beyond sorrow.
    Furthermore, Buddha the Endowed Destroyer has similarly stated:

"Conceptualization, the great ignorance, throws one into the ocean of cyclic existence.
    Dwell in non-conceptualising meditative concentration, clear, without concepts, like space."

Also he has said in the 'Mystic Recitation of Engaging in Non-conceptualization':

"O Son of the Conqueror, in this high practice of Dharma, if one contemplates non-conceptually on appearance,
    one will transcend the difficult to pass conceptions and gradually will come to non-conceptuality."

Once you have attained through such scriptural sources and reasoning that phenomena - by lacking a nature of their own - in their entirety are uncreated, meditate without conceptualising.

- Lama Atisha
    In Buddhism, there are two types of meditation: Shamatha and Vipassana. Shamatha is single pointed meditation. Vipassana is an analytic form of meditation. These 2 meditations have to be cultivated in sequence. Shamatha meditation first, and then Vipassana. Although, the individual need not to have fully accomplished the Shamatha meditation, he must have proper experience of Shamatha meditation in order to embark on Vipassana. Without having any experience of Shamatha meditation, then practice of Vipassana meditation is ineffective.

Shamatha meditation helps to free the mind from disturbing emotions and conceptual thinking processes. It brings the mind under control, under discipline, with some degree of single pointed focus, with full alertness of mind. By doing this meditation, the individual is able to suppress disturbing emotions and gain inner peace, harmony and balance.

Vipassana meditation directly helps to pull out the seeds or imprints that are left in our psyche by these manifest emotional defilements and distorted thoughts so that disturbing emotions and thoughts will never reoccur. It brings unchanging and everlasting inner peace, joy and harmony.

The very purpose of Shamatha meditation is not just to feel good for a period of time but to give birth to deeper levels of understanding, of wisdom. So that individuals can see the ultimate reality of phenomena and are able to go beyond ordinary perceptions. Shamatha meditation cuts through ordinary appearances and the confusion between our concepts and reality.

Geshe Dakpa Topgyal
    In the ultimate sphere purity and impurity are naturally pure and phenomena are the great equal perfection, free from conception.

- Longchenpa
  • edited December 2010
    This seems more to do with what you understanding, but I am happy to explore teachings.

Here are a few Tibetan ones which you may be familiar with -

Ordinary shamatha and vipashyana are conceptual approaches. Indeed generation stage which is a form of shamatha is also conceptual. Completion stage, which is a form of vipashyana is conceptual. The first three stages of mahamudra are conceptual.

Not all concepts are bad, some actually help to purify ordinary conceptual grasping while being easy to see through. It is only after the mind has been purified and made strong that true non-conceptual meditation can take place. Saying that only the non-conceptual is important is biased and dismisses most of the important methods that Lord Shakyamuni and his heirs have given us to discover our natural state.
  • edited December 2010
    Don't strive or try to achieve anything, just relax and let go.

edited December 2010
    Ordinary shamatha and vipashyana are conceptual approaches.

No they are not.
    Not all concepts are bad, some actually help to purify ordinary conceptual grasping while being easy to see through.

Sure if one mentally says 'I wish peace and well-being to all' that is one way they can use to direct their mind for the time being.
    It is only after the mind has been purified and made strong that true non-conceptual meditation can take place.

The mind is always pure.
    It is the incorrect perception of what mind is that is the problem. Hence meditation, hence insight, hence non-clinging.

To say that one has to make the mind pure and strong first before non-conceptual meditation can take place, is a complete misdirection.

Sometimes teachers will teach one to do samatha first so that one has some base stability else it can be hard to see the nature of mind. But this is not to say that non-conceptual is a certain stage that can only be done after xyz. As Huang Po said above, some people can do this immediately, others require some years of practice. It all depends.
    About this mind... In truth there is nothing really wrong with it. It is intrinsically pure. Within itself it's already peaceful. That the mind is not peaceful these days is because it follows moods. The real mind doesn't have anything to it, it is simply (an aspect of) Nature. It becomes peaceful or agitated because moods deceive it. The untrained mind is stupid. Sense impressions come and trick it into happiness, suffering, gladness and sorrow, but the mind's true nature is none of those things. That gladness or sadness is not the mind, but only a mood coming to deceive us. The untrained mind gets lost and follows these things, it forgets itself. Then we think that it is we who are upset or at ease or whatever.

But really this mind of ours is already unmoving and peaceful... really peaceful! Just like a leaf which is still as long as no wind blows. If a wind comes up the leaf flutters. The fluttering is due to the wind -- the "fluttering" is due to those sense impressions; the mind follows them. If it doesn't follow them, it doesn't "flutter." If we know fully the true nature of sense impressions we will be unmoved.

Our practice is simply to see the Original Mind. So we must train the mind to know those sense impressions, and not get lost in them. To make it peaceful. Just this is the aim of all this difficult practice we put ourselves through.

- Ajahn Chah
    Saying that only the non-conceptual is important is biased and dismisses most of the important methods that Lord Shakyamuni and his heirs have given us to discover our natural state.

No-one said that only the non-conceptual is important.

But what is being pointed out is what the direction of Buddhist meditation is about.

Some people can understand.

And the quotes from all major teachers are available for anyone who cares to hear what they have to say.

Abu
  • edited December 2010
    No they are not.

Misc-Yes_No_%28Monty_Python%29.gif
  • edited December 2010
    No they are not.

You obviously have a different idea of concepts (prapanca) than I do. If you do shamatha with an object, it is conceptual. If you enter into vipashyana through analysis, that is conceptual. While you may uncover prajna through this, the approach itself is not the natural thought-free state. The approach is a skillful means to discover what goes beyond concepts, but it is not without concept itself. Please explain to me what you mean by saying that shamatha and vipashyana are non-conceptual.
    The mind is always pure.
    It is the incorrect perception of what mind is that is the problem. Hence meditation, hence insight, hence non-clinging.

Saying the mind is always pure is merely an opinion. Until one has exhausted all of the vasanas in dharmata so that everything arises as great purity, action is needed. One can of course do so by maintaining the recognition "The mind is always pure", but this is itself a gradual conceptual approach similar to generation stage in Vajrayana.

This is why the gradual approach was ascendant in the great Samye debate where Hva-shang was defeated. If you are going to quote scholars from my own tradition, at least understand the historical context their words were spoken in.
    To say that one has to make the mind pure and strong first before non-conceptual meditation can take place, is a complete misdirection.

You don't make the mind pure, you purify the mind of the kleshas. In other words, you don't create wisdom. You remove confusion. As to strengthening the mind, this is the whole point of shamatha-- to make the mind strong and pliant and capable of being placed on any object without wavering. Shamatha is not liberation. It merely provides the space free from distraction to apply the higher teachings.
    Sometimes teachers will teach one to do samatha first so that one has some base stability else it can be hard to see the nature of mind. But this is not to say that non-conceptual is a certain stage that can only be done after xyz. As Huang Po said above, some people can do this immediately, others require some years of practice. It all depends.

Yes, it depends on whether the mind has been trained before. In my own school, the view is introduced immediately and then additional means are applied as necessary to stabilize the view. Nobody is saying you need to proceed linearly. In fact, I have never stated that in this thread.
    No-one said that only the non-conceptual is important.

But what is being pointed out is what the direction of Buddhist meditation is about.

Some people can understand.

And the quotes from all major teachers are available for anyone who cares to hear what they have to say.

Abu

And my point from the beginning has not been that the non-conceptual is unimportant but rather that you can't seem to read what the original poster asked for and respond in kind without denigrating what they are asking for. The OP didn't ask for your opinion on non-conceptuality. If you are inclined to pontificate on the opposite of what they asked, start a new thread. All that was asked for was advice on a conceptual meditation.