Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I dont get it

aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm starting to feel like a major nuisance around these forums but I'm just so far from being happy I'm trying to figure out how to change that..

I just don't understand how anyone can hold buddhism as even slightly coherent or rational. Every time i ask a question i get 100 answers that have nothing to do with each other.

I try to keep myself from wanting anything, i try to be nice to people etc. but i'm just miserable all the time. I constantly find myself reading some buddhist thing or another and looking at all the contradictions and just in general things that make no sense.

So craving causes suffering. Craving is basically wanting to feel pleasure. So I find myself trying to crave nothing in a desperate attempt to feel happy. But then i'm just craving happiness, and i don't feel happy at all. When pressed people end up saying all kinds of junk like "the truth is that there is no truth" and they don't even know what they mean. Is this whole forum just a place for people to try to make other people think they are more enlightened then others? All i hear about is the cessation of suffering, but where does your happiness come from?

Why help other people? what reason is there to help someone else? A central teaching of buddhism is lovingkindness but the only reason i can perceive to do "good" things is that it will make you happy. If you are supposed to not chase after happiness then what is your motivation to do anything? If you are supposed to resist the pull of desire then why do anything?

I just don't know anymore.. none of this is making sense. it seems the only way to end suffering is to be dead. But no... based on nothing the buddha asserts that I'll just be born again as someone else.

Comments

• Well, at least you have some understanding of the suffering nature of samsara, and I think you have some renunciation as well (the wish to be free from this state). So it is a good start. Not to go too deep here, but it is helpful to remember that happiness is also a concept, and true "happiness", or nirvana is a state free from all conceptions and constructs.

Our mind, in it's original state is like this, but is so deluded with dualistic concepts and thus we have an emotion, or a feeling about everything. Our mind's true nature, just like the sun, is always present. But we usually don't notice because of all the clouds that are in the way. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I just don't understand how anyone can hold buddhism as even slightly coherent or rational. Every time i ask a question i get 100 answers that have nothing to do with each other.

I try to keep myself from wanting anything, i try to be nice to people etc. but i'm just miserable all the time. I constantly find myself reading some buddhist thing or another and looking at all the contradictions and just in general things that make no sense.

So craving causes suffering. Craving is basically wanting to feel pleasure. So I find myself trying to crave nothing in a desperate attempt to feel happy. But then i'm just craving happiness, and i don't feel happy at all. When pressed people end up saying all kinds of junk like "the truth is that there is no truth" and they don't even know what they mean. Is this whole forum just a place for people to try to make other people think they are more enlightened then others? All i hear about is the cessation of suffering, but where does your happiness come from?

Why help other people? what reason is there to help someone else? A central teaching of buddhism is lovingkindness but the only reason i can perceive to do "good" things is that it will make you happy. If you are supposed to not chase after happiness then what is your motivation to do anything? If you are supposed to resist the pull of desire then why do anything?.
    Whoa, whoa, aHN. First let me point out that you, yourself, are a contradiction. You call yourself a "happy Nihilist", but you say you're miserable. Maybe time to change your name?

"People" don't "end up" saying "Junk" like "the truth is that there is no truth". That was one young member, as I mentioned to you privately. Don't judge the whole site by one person, please. I thought you got some pretty good answers on your "craving" thread. Maybe you could check in with a teacher or two at some local temples where you live, if you have that option. And, why not start a "contradictions" thread, so we can take a look at what's up for you?

Why help others? Because it's rewarding and helps us feel better, and the person helped also feels better, and we want* to end suffering in this world. And also because if we, ourselves, ever get in a bind or go through a stressful period in life, we'd appreciate a kind gesture. We work to create the world we want to have. Personally, I don't help others because Buddhism (or Christianity, or whoever) says that's what we should be doing. I do it because that's what I'm naturally motivated to do. We do good deeds because we empathize with others, we imagine how we would feel if we were in their shoes, and we naturally have the motivation to alleviate their suffering, as if it were our own. Not so much because helping will make us happy, though some teachers have written that that, also, can be a motivator. There's a specific meditation technique aimed at developing empathy, if you need help with that. Wouldn't you like to live in a kind, compassionate world? So, be kind and compassionate.

Start with the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, and the precepts. Expand from there. I'm with you that there are some very difficult concepts in Buddhism. Don't begin in the middle, begin at the beginning, and build from there. It'll make more sense that way. Sometimes beginners bite off a lot more than they can chew and get overwhelmed.

*"want to end suffering" AHA! you might say, that sounds like desire or craving to end suffering. Well, we told you on the other thread, that there's skillful attachment/desire and unskillful. Wanting to end suffering just comes naturally to me. It can come naturally to you, too, with preparation, meditation, etc. (i.e. not "grasping" at ending suffering, but letting it flow naturally from your heart). We cultivate the heart.
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited December 2010
    so your "free" from happiness in nirvana then? that seems to completely defeat the purpose. also, on another note, you didn't really answer anything i said

edit: yea i used to be happy.
    but it's not even about the contradictions, i'm following all of the 8-fold path to the best of my ability and am no happier for it, actually i'm probably less happy than before

• Start with the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, and the precepts. Expand from there. I'm with you that there are some very difficult concepts in Buddhism. Don't begin in the middle, begin at the beginning, and build from there. It'll make more sense that way. Sometimes beginners bite off a lot more than they can chew and get overwhelmed.
    Just deserves the emphasis of repetition. You should get some pretty reasonable answers here soon, or within the next few days, aHN. Just be patient.

Peace.
  • edited December 2010
    so your "free" from happiness in nirvana then? that seems to completely defeat the purpose. also, on another note, you didn't really answer anything i said
    I didn't answer everything you brought up, because there was too much. I chose to focus on your question "Why help others?" (Remember that one?) I left the rest for others to respond to. (Best not to fuss at people trying to help you out, you know ;) )

Who said we're "free from happiness in Nirvana"? Not I.
  • i was trying to respond to the first guy but you posted while i was writing.

• edited December 2010
    i was trying to respond to the first guy but you posted while i was writing.
    Oh. Thanks. That does happen sometimes: simultaneous postings. No offense taken. :)
  • but anyway, your response that you do it because it is a natural impulse sort of is the problem. I thought i'm supposed to resist natural urges toward certain pleasures. In this case the pleasure is helping others. What makes it any different?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Buddhism teaches to stop suffering via stopping craving --

My novice-mind is telling me Buddhism teaches you to respond to things like this:

This food is tasty. This is so and okay.
    This food is not tasty. This is also so and okay.

You still crave things, but if you don't get your way, thats okay.
    Buddhism teaches you'll be reborn --

Theres a line where Buddhism starts and where Asian cultures starts. The Buddha's teaching, essentially, did not teach of reincarnation. It grew up in India where reincarnation was widely believed, so Buddhists just kept the same idea. Many Buddhists (western ones) no longer believe in reincarnation.
  • edited December 2010
    Like I/we said; there are skillful desires/attachments, and unskillful ones. Helping others is skillful. And when you get closer to enlightenment, it'll come automatically, it won't be an attachment anymore. Not even when you get closer to enlightenment, but when you do compassion meditation, your mind/thought patterns will begin to change, and it'll become automatic, not a desire. Buddhism is, in part, about reprogramming the mind; that's where meditation comes in. Is this a little clearer? It doesn't happen overnight, aHN. Patience; one building-block at a time. It's a process, not a course of study, where you take a final exam and get a grade or diploma. And be patient and gentle with yourself; sometimes we expect too much of ourselves or of the teachings, like instant change in our lives, and it doesn't work that way. We can stress ourselves out by expecting too much too soon. You sound stressed.
    edited December 2010
    well I'm not really craving anything, except happiness generally. and I'm unable to stop craving that. i'm following the 8-fold path. I'm miserable. Well whatever. maybe buddhism is genetic.

simultaneous post again compassionate warrior, the fact is i'm not really hoping for instant change. I've been really depressed for like 5 years, recently i was kinda more happy, happy enough to actually have the energy to try to be more happy. I'm now trying my absolute hardest to follow buddhist teachings and now i'm just as depressed as i used to be.
    Buddhism is genetic? Not at all. Most of us were raised non-Buddhists from what I'm aware of.
  • simultaneous post again compassionate warrior
    Yeah, you've created a busy thread!

• PaisleyPaisley Explorer
    edited December 2010
    If you are truly unhappy on your Buddhist path then perhaps you should choose a different path in life?

Oh and I was raised Lutheran. :)

edited December 2010
    i was joking about buddhism being genetic :| and since when does how your raised have anything to do with genetics
    edited December 2010
    i was joking about buddhism being genetic :| and since when does how your raised have anything to do with genetics
    When you said genetics I automatically assumed you were referring to how your parents are.

And sarcasm/jokes are oooh so very hard to detect when you're just typing on the internet.

:scratch:
  • man, i really thought i had a chance at being happy buddhists seemed like they were so happy.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited December 2010
    so your "free" from happiness in nirvana then? that seems to completely defeat the purpose.
    You are free from the "dualistic perceptions" of happy, sad, good, bad, etc. Doesn't really defeat the purpose, as this type of dualistic thinking is a major cause of our suffering.

Thats all I got to say in regards to your pessimism. :(
  • i'm actually not pessimistic, well i wasn't before i started this thread at least. i still think i can be happy i just don't know how. I just don't get what causes your buddhist happiness. you talk about not craving and all that but what makes you happy
    edited December 2010
    eh, it posted twice
  • I hate to tell you this, but I can't think of a single place in the world outside of an Evangelical "Christian" church or a fundamentalist mosque where you're going to ask a question and get one single answer. To me, far from being an irritant, that's exactly the beauty of Buddhism. It's not all cut and dried and put into a little box for you. You have to think for yourself, to question everything, and to figure things out for yourself, and what is and isn't relevant to you in your life.

Do you get a hundred different answers to *every* question? Maybe, but if you didn't ask, where would you be?

As I always say, if in doubt, go back to the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path. That's the foundation. That's the basis for all the rest.

• yes, but like i said like 10 times i must be doing something wrong because i'm following the 8-fold path and aint nuthin happning.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    i'm actually not pessimistic, well i wasn't before i started this thread at least. i still think i can be happy i just don't know how. I just don't get what causes your buddhist happiness. you talk about not craving and all that but what makes you happy
    Happiness is not a thing to be grasped onto, nor a state of being to be aspired to. That's just more craving and grasping. Yes, this can get complicated and twisted if you think too much about it. Happiness is (ideally) the end result of a lot of other actions, not an action in itself. Happiness naturally flows from our practice and the way we conduct ourselves. That's an enormous undertaking (that last sentence), and not something you're probably going to achieve inside a week of sitting on a cushion or chanting a few sutras or whatever. It comes from diligent practice of mindfulness, which in itself helps to bring on compassion, which in itself brings on kindness, etc, etc, etc.

If somebody told you Buddhism was a quick and easy way to being in Happy Happy Land, they were misinformed :) You say you're following the eightfold path. For how long? How diligently? Following the eightfold path isn't an all or nothing proposition, at least for me. I wax and wane in my adherence to its principles. Some days are better than others. My hope is that at some point I may be able to truly say I am a diligent follower of the path. In the meantime, I do the best I can while remaining mindful as much of the time as I can. Sometimes I slip. Sometimes it's better than other times. Does it "make" me "happy"? Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Sometimes, honestly, following the path can be really irritating when you feel like being a jerk because someone else has been a jerk to you. But that's a learning opportunity.

It's a process that goes on and on and on. Happiness may come to you, but if you expect it, or if you feel like you deserve to have it because you did this or that thing today, you're grasping at something, which always and ultimately leads to more suffering.
  • i guess you didn't really read any of this conversation but, yea i've been trying and i'm less happy now then when i started
  • but, this isn't really accomplishing anything, nevermind.
  • Yes, I did read it. Re-read what I've said. It's not a linear path to happiness. Look at it this way. If you were really out of shape and you decided to join a gym to get in shape, and you were really diligent about going every day and working out, would you expect to be totally buff and in shape after a week of working out? No. Would you expect to get sore as hell? Yes. Would you expect that some days you just wouldn't feel like working out and might skip the gym? Yes.

That's a crude analogy, but it gets the point of what I'm trying to say to you across. It's not instant, and it's not linear. It's a winding path.
  • You can give up, but I can guarantee you won't get anything out of it if you do...
  • i'll stop wasting time with something that doesn't work. nevermind. bye.
    :(

Try Christianity. All you got to do to be happy is be ignorant of science/rationality and go to church every Sunday. But bye I guess...
  • that doesn't work either
    Have you tried? Hmmm... well...

Theres Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Confucianism, Taoism, Neo-Paganism, straight-up Atheism, Rastafarianism, Pastafarianism, ancient beliefs, and many cults - all of which have been known to cause happiness. :)
  • Have you tried meditation and mindfulness? Mindfulness might help you. It's about observing your thoughts and actions, developing an impartial observer outside yourself. The reason I think this might help, especially the observing your thoughts part, is that you might be causing some of your own unhappiness with a habit of negative thoughts (this is very common, not just you). If you expected Buddhism to change your life fairly suddenly, then you may be frustrated, and that frustration may be manifesting in habitual negative thoughts, for example. So you pay attention to your thoughts, and when you find yourself getting into negative, unhappy thoughts, you redirect them. As you go through your day.

If you're meditating (there's a trick to getting started), you quiet your mind, but for most people this takes a lot of practice, and random thoughts pop up. You observe those thoughts. You don't do anything, except bring your awareness back to your breath (it's about focussing on the breath). You don't judge, you don't modify your thought, just observe. Note what kind of thoughts they are, then come back to the breath. This gives you insight into your own thought patterns, and if you don't like what you see, you can change them. Does this make sense? One gets results from Buddhism in part by practicing meditation, and I'm guessing that part is missing from your menu.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    No, no, dear aHN. You're getting it wrong. :)

What's wrong about wanting to be happy? Everybody wants to be happy! That's in the core of our being. And there is nothing wrong about wanting it. I can't imagine Buddha or Buddhist monks ever having said that you should not want to be happy. Offcourse you should! That's also the core of Buddhism! It is even the basis for the noble truths. And that's why Buddhism has al these wonderful and wise teachings on how to reach this happiness. It basicly comes down to ending suffering. When there is no suffering, the only thing left is happiness. There is no inbetween. Can you somehow imagine that?

And what's the cause of suffering? It can be all kind of things, like bumping your feet against a table, but you can't really help that (other than watching where you are going ;) ). But what we can change is suffering in our mind, which comes from wanting the wrong things. This is called craving. It absolutely doesn't mean you shoudn't want anything! I want you to be happy right now, for instance. I want the world to be a better place and I want to have some peace of mind when my alarm clock will wake me tomorrow ;)

The different replies you get is because there can be multiple answers sometimes, but it will mostly be because everybody has different experiences, but also because everybody on this forum is in another phase in his/her life and experience of Buddhism. But that shouldn't matter. Buddhism teaches us that you can only really find answers if you find them out by yourself.

If you want to be happy (and who doesn't? ;) ), and the 8-fold path is not doing anything, try to check out your mind. It is not only important that you want to be happy, you also should allow yourself to be it. So many people think they don't deserve to be happy for whatever reason. They think they did something wrong in the past for instance. But try to drop these kind of thoughts if you have them, they won't get you anywhere and you know it :)
  • You can lead a horse to water....
    You can lead a horse to water....
    And allow Chuch Norris to make it drink?
  • edited December 2010
    I'd agree with Sabre; you're not supposed to make yourself want nothing. That's what we mean when we say there are skillful attachments, and unskillful attachments (or desires, cravings). It's ok to want to be happy, to want others to be happy, to want an end to injustice, to want a kind world and go about creating kindness in your world. The Buddha reached enlightenment, but he was still dedicated ( "attached") to teaching others the path to enlightenment. The cause of suffering is grasping at material things (so if you lose your favorite sport shoes, or someone steals your soccer ball, you get angry or bummed out. They're just stuff, it's not important), and grasping at power, status, self-image. But the world is a tough place; recognizing that, you offer a kind word or a helping hand to others without expecting the whole world to change; you just change the small part of it you interact with according to your abilities.

"Try to check out your mind"--that's similar to what I was saying about observing your thoughts. Are you putting yourself down because you're not happy? That's an example of self-defeating thought. Life isn't easy, we're not all happy all the time. Buddhism gives us tools to help deal with stress and adversity, teaches us to work with the mind.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @comp._warrior

Yes, our replies are quite the same (see, not so much difference after all ;)! ), but I was already typing mine while yours wasn't posted yet. :)

And I totally agree with you on the meditation. aHN, I also advice you to do it. Just for a week or something, instead of watching TV or whatever ;). It is an essential part of Buddhism. It has helped me 10 times more than reading and trying to understand things with the brain.
    edited December 2010
    well thanks guys, but i guess i just don't know why i'm so unhappy. I truly don't feel that i'm craving anything, except to feel some happiness just for a little. it just doesn't make sense to me. I know that craving is painful, and that includes craving for happiness, craving to help others, etc. things that are apparently considered "skilled."

and i have meditated, daily for like a month. i was just doing that now, before i was not even going to come back to this forum but i kinda got some energy back to try again.
  • Craving to help others shouldn't be painful. WHy would it?
    edited December 2010
    because it's craving. when you want something it hurts. isn't that the second noble truth? it seems self-evident to me.

let me try and give a more answerable question. What separates wanting to do something "skillful" like gaining better control over your mind, from something "unskillful" like wanting some tasty chocolates. They are both desires, both needs that cause suffering.
  • if the cause of suffering isn't craving then what is it? if its "unskillful" craving then what separates unskillful things from skillful ones?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    because it's craving. when you want something it hurts. isn't that the second noble truth? it seems self-evident to me.

let me try and give a more answerable question. What separates wanting to do something "skillful" like gaining better control over your mind, from something "unskillful" like wanting some tasty chocolates. They are both desires, both needs that cause suffering.
    No, not all you want is wrong, is hurting. Can you see anything wrong with a person wanting to help the old lady cross the street, for example? I can't and no Buddhist ever will. But you can see that it is wrong when people are stealing, lying and cheating.

They are seperated by where they originate. Some things come from the ego, others come from the heart. In your heart you want to be happy. That's great, beautiful. You should really cherish that. But things like money, status, good looks and the like are things you don't want with the heart. Try to find which things give you a good feeling within and which don't and you'll be able to make the distinction even more clearly.

Right now what I want is a good night's sleep. I really would like that for myself, would really make me a less grumpy person tomorrow. Nothing wrong I can see in that ;) So I'm going to get my sleep! Maybe I'll be back tomorrow. :)
    edited December 2010
    there is no want that gives me a good feeling. I don't want good looks, status, or money. i don't steal i don't lie i don't cheat. I don't really want to do those things. i just want to be happy, and that is something which is painful.

all those things come from the ego. The only reason to help someone is that it will benefit you, either by making you more happy, giving you a nice stockpile of good karma or whatever.

there is nothing you can want that doesn't come from a self interest. and there is no wanting that isn't painful.
  • edited December 2010
    i guess i just don't know why i'm so unhappy.
    Google "5HTP." It's a nutritional supplement. Might be as simple as that. 30 (40%?) of people who try it feel better for many months. Whether it works or not, you only take it for 30 days. Also, if you are a young person you might have hormones going on. Don't let that chemistry bring you down. Things will get better. Older? Could still be a hormonal thing like messed up adrenal-thyroid-pituitary axis.

Need proof that changes in brain chemistry effect mood? If my friends call after 11:00 PM and ask me to go a movie I'll hang up the phone on them. If they call me at 9:00 AM I'll drive and pick everybody up. Similar brain chemistry mood change would come from alcohol, or starvation, or the flu.
  • edited December 2010
    I would agree with both compassionate_warrior and Sabre. Feelings of dissatisfaction and unhappiness arise from negative states of mind - such as anger, attachment, ignorance, aversion, etc. The best way to counter (or even eliminate these) negative states of mind is by developing more positive states of mind - such as generosity, compassion, wisdom, etc. through contemplative practices such as mindfulness/meditation.

The idea of "attachment/craving" (as in the wanting of, or even the aversion of, either pleasure/sensuality, becoming/existence, even the extinction/non-existence of the unpleasant experiences in life) comes from the fact that we experience short-term satisfaction and happiness by satisfying our desires. However, this does not bring an end to them. We will continue to desire and crave either these or some other things, thus our happiness will only be brief until samsara kicks in and starts the vicious cycle all over again.

The thing everyone keeps trying to point out with the whole "skillful/unskillful" desires is that yes, desires are natural. They aren't telling you to supress your natural tendencies, but to see them for what they truly are and deal with them accordingly. It's "skillful" to desire for others to overcome an illness, it's "unskillful" to desire for someone to die from said illness. Even more "skillful" would be not being so attached and accept the natural outcome of said illness, either way.

Honestly, whenever you're feeling down all of the time and don't know why...maybe you should seek a specialist. Perhaps a doctor of some sort, or even a teacher of some sort. They could potentially help you out a lot more than any internet forum.
  • BTW, Nihilist, Buddhists are humans like everyone else. They make mistakes, they experience the usual emotions (which is normal and healthy), they experience difficulties in life. Some can even be jerks. maybe putting Buddhists on a pedestal and expecting yourself to measure up to an idealized view is part of what's causing your distress. Just a guess.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    there is no want that gives me a good feeling. I don't want good looks, status, or money. i don't steal i don't lie i don't cheat. I don't really want to do those things. i just want to be happy, and that is something which is painful.

all those things come from the ego. The only reason to help someone is that it will benefit you, either by making you more happy, giving you a nice stockpile of good karma or whatever.

there is nothing you can want that doesn't come from a self interest. and there is no wanting that isn't painful.
    Ok, one more reply for the day. :) If wanting to be happy hurts for you, I really ask myself if you also really allow happiness for yourself. It's ok to be happy, everybody deserves it. If you do allow it, great, keep it up, but then there must be some other blockade I think.

You're wrong about all things coming from the ego. Today I worked a few hours for my neighbour. She wanted to fix her curtains, but didn't even know how to handle a drill. (women.. :shake: ;) ) So I decided to do it for her. Was there any direct personal gain for me? No, there wasn't. So why would I waste so many hours sweating and cursing those curtain rails (cursing the buddhist way, offcourse ;) ) while I could also have a nice cup of tea and listen to some music in my own comfortable house? It's just because I like to help people. So in contrary to what you said: I did it because I wanted to and it didn't hurt a single bit.

And there is also no direct gain for me (or anybody else here) in posting these replies. It's not that we're trying to be smart, or wise or anything. We're just trying to help you. And if it doesn't help, well thats a shame, but ok, that's fine too. If my neighbours curtains fall on the floor tomorrow.. well that'll be fine with me too. (But they won't because I fixed them very thoroughly. :D )

PS: Pardon my bad English. I'm tired and it's not my native language. :)

And indeed, as pointed out above, if you are really depressed it can also be something physical. In that case, go see a specilist.

I wish you well,
    Sabre

• Honestly, whenever you're feeling down all of the time and don't know why...maybe you should seek a specialist.
    You said that much better. I'm sorry, that's what I meant to say too. People shouldn't be feeling bad all the time. Could be a simple but undetected medical problem like, for example, sleep apnea.