Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

not sure what to do :/

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
i am new to buddhism and ive just started learning about the four noble truths .
(i havent got very far in understanding them)
they truely are showing me how things really are and how its our minds that basically play tricks on us.
that the pain and suffering i feel is because of how i percieve things to be when in all reality they arent that way.
when i get angry, annoyed, or have any other emotion i always stop my self and really reflect upon it
but theres only one thing im really having trouble with.

before i started getting into this i had a boyfriend who is smart beyond my own comprehension.
he sees the world for what it is and he was basically my teacher.
i was a very verrrrrrrrrrry ignorant person and had many insecurities about myself in our relationship.
he was there the entire time trying to show me what i didnt see.
but i was one who had alot of dust on the eyes, i thought i knew so much and understood but i really didnt.
i doubted much of his words when he was right because i didnt wanna hear the truth.

well now hes gone, hes given up on trying to help me and not mention that im pregnant with his child and think of him just as much as i do that im pregnant. sometimes im okay and i just say things happen for a reason
you'll live on, when we were together i wanted figure out the world understand it as he did
and know who i am and understand myself, and ever since the breakup thats allllll ive been interested in.
to me everythin happens for a reason i try to observe life see signs and ive noticed sooo much
has pointed to buddhism. its weird cuz i started looking into buddhism before i realized the signs i had seen
but it seems as tho im not trying to totally do it for myself, yeah i want to be an enlighened one and see
things for what they truely are and be happy with life and every aspect of it but i keep thinkin that im
also doing this to one day get him back im pretty positive about it acutally, but i started reading of buddhism just about a week ago i think and before i started reading on it he was already planning on going to mexico
and never coming back :/
so all hope to prove anything to him woulda been gone well i talked to his mom and turns out he couldnt go
im not to sure what to think of that or do, i really dont know what to do but keep learning about the 4 noble truths etc but becuz of alllll this i feel as tho i wont be able to ever not desire him
i dont want anybody but this guy i dont know what to do or what i could possibly say to make him take me back
i dont understand why i so desperately want him back, he told me i dont know what love is and truthfully i dont
he says i just like his knowledge and sex but i believe the feeling i have for him goes so much more beyond
lust and infatuation, i want no other beings in my life more then i want him and my child

please i just need any kind of advice

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You'll figure out what you want, eventually. If you really do want to learn Buddhism, I'd suggest the website http://www.buddhanet.net for study resources.

The Four Noble Truths and included Noble Eightfold Path
    Anicca (Impermanence), Anatta (Not-Self) and Dukkha ("that which is difficult to bear")
    Meditation
    Karma, esp. what are skillful and unskillful thoughts, speech and actions
    The Five Precepts
    Taking Refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha

What it boils down to is that life is the way life is; all of our suffering, our dissatisfaction and frustrations with life, is caused by imposing our expectations and our wants that are unrealistic. All things change, but we want stability. We age and die, but we want to live forever. We want sense pleasures, want to avoid that which is painful, but is this the way of life? The struggle goes on and on, until we take a hard look at what life is, what we are, and begin to accept what "is"; and then we find peace.

Namaste
  • He's the father of your child. Is he going to be there for his child?
    I'm not sure what your feelings are for him at this point, but it sounds a little like regret and rejection, the wounded ego. I think for now try to not be clingy (always a risk when feeling rejected), because that'll just push him away. Do you have a support system for yourself, Curiousone? Is your mom or someone helping you?

I could talk to you about the Buddhist concept of "attachment", but I'm not sure that's going to help in the emotional state you're in. I think I'll leave it at this, for now, and see what others have to say.
  • If he had any kind of "knowledge", he would KNOW that he is equally responsible for that child that you are carrying. Since you obviously still have contact with his family, I would try to confide in them and let them know the severity of the situation. However, instead of focusing on getting this guy back, perhaps you will be better off just focusing on the kid. How will you take care of it? Feed it? Can you afford it? Will you be able to get any support? This isn't really about him. What's more important in this situation, first and foremost, is the child.

Sorry if this isn't a scholarly reply, but it is heartfelt. My best wishes go out to you and the little one. May things get easier for the both of you.
  • (this is for both compassionate warrior and bodhipunk i didnt notice compassionate warriors reply at first thats why its a lil mixed up lol)
    i honestly am not sure, he wants to get out of the US and go to mexico he always has, he was willing to be there before and his mother knows about it shes so excited and wants him to be there so its hard to walk away from it without it being talked about
    well he told me he was done and going to mexico and wouldnt talk to me so i decided to write him a letter as a final goodbye and closure for myself and we haven't said another word to one another
    my lil brother went to his house to play with his lil brother and his mother dropped my brother off back home, my ex was in the car he didnt even look up at the house or acknowledge me it hurt but im not showing any sign of clingyness altho i am wanting to say something, anythin to him

feel free to explain the concept of attachment i'll take anything that may help me

hes much more focused on himself and his thinking right now, im pretty positive its mainly that hes scared hes 18 i'd be shittin my pants too, his mom knows about us not talking but its her boy and she has so much faith that he'll come around and as for my child he will be perfectly fine, im going to be 18 myself in a month so im still living with my mother and i have all the support in the world, im definately appreciative for that, my child won't suffer i definately am sure of it, i just hope that his father will come around he was happy about it when we were together, if he doesnt it'll hurt pretty bad, my father wasn't in my life at all he was young and scared too and i dont want that for my child cuz i know the experience :-/
  • edited December 2010
    Glad to hear you are confident about your kid. Well, first of all, you are both very young. With all of the knowledge the father supposedly has, he obviously lacks in wisdom. Just give him some time and space, and hopefully his mother is right that he will come around. If he doesn't, I can assure you that you will find someone who will be willingly to be there for the kid.

Perhaps this personal account will help. My brother's fiancee was a teen mom. The father of her child pretty much bailed on them. He saw his kid only once, and had nothing more to do with them. Luckily, my brother stepped in. He helped raise the kid, and they both had another beautiful baby together. They are both extremely happy and in the process of planning a wedding.

So, things may seem pretty bleak right now. Just don't worry. If you have the confidence to persevere, things will get better. If the father doesn't come around, don't worry. He'll be the one missing out. You have a wonderful journey ahead of you, although at times it will get rough and may not seem so wonderful. You just have to keep strong - not just for your sake, but for the sake of your child.

Best wishes.
  • edited December 2010
    (this is for both compassionate warrior and bodhipunk i didnt notice compassionate warriors reply at first thats why its a lil mixed up lol)
    i honestly am not sure, he wants to get out of the US and go to mexico he always has, he was willing to be there before and his mother knows about it shes so excited and wants him to be there so its hard to walk away from it without it being talked about
    well he told me he was done and going to mexico and wouldnt talk to me so i decided to write him a letter as a final goodbye and closure for myself and we haven't said another word to one another
    my lil brother went to his house to play with his lil brother and his mother dropped my brother off back home, my ex was in the car he didnt even look up at the house or acknowledge me it hurt but im not showing any sign of clingyness altho i am wanting to say something, anythin to him

feel free to explain the concept of attachment i'll take anything that may help me

hes much more focused on himself and his thinking right now, im pretty positive its mainly that hes scared hes 18 i'd be shittin my pants too, his mom knows about us not talking but its her boy and she has so much faith that he'll come around and as for my child he will be perfectly fine, im going to be 18 myself in a month so im still living with my mother and i have all the support in the world, im definately appreciative for that, my child won't suffer i definately am sure of it, i just hope that his father will come around he was happy about it when we were together, if he doesnt it'll hurt pretty bad, my father wasn't in my life at all he was young and scared too and i dont want that for my child cuz i know the experience :-/
    curiousone- You both are so young and a baby is a huge responsibility. I'm relieved to hear that you have your mother's support- you'll need it.

He doesn't sound very "knowledgeable" to me. He has an obligation to you and the baby. He doesn't have to resume the relationship he had with you before, but he does have to have a relationship with his child and you, as his child's mother and responsible party for his child.

I'm not sure of the legal process in your area, but you might have to seek counsel to set up support for your child. He was able to father this child biologically, so he can also father this child financially, in accourdance with the law.

Taking responsibility for a child will teach him more than running off to Mexico.
    Responsibility is an Express Ticket on a rocketship ride to reality.

I wish you the best of health and good fortune on your child's birth. Please let us know how you are doing.

Namaste
  • I don't think him going off to Mexico is good on a number of reasons...
    What does he expect to find in Mexico? Poor living conditions? Bad Water? Unsanitary living? There's a reason why people are leaving Mexico and comming into America...

Anyways...on topic, I believe he should be there for you, if that is his child then he needs to be there for it, he needs to man up to something he caused to.

As for Buddhism, I'm glad you're wanting to become a Buddhist and I wish the best of luck to you on this path.

Namaste.
  • Years ago I was in a therapist's office reviewing all the stuff I did when I was in my 20s. I did stupid relationship things, insensitive, avoided issues, did not listen. There I was, an older guy talking to the therapist telling her how bad I felt because I acted like such a jerk or didn't see what was happening (relationship-wise, school-wise, career-wise, job-wise etc) years ago when I was young.

The therapist told me we do things that seem make sense at the time and there are hormones and peer pressures involved.

Looking back now I can see where I went wrong and what I should have said and done and what I was afraid of and what I was avoiding.

Could I have figured out all that stuff at the time I was doing it? I betcha I could have!

My advice? You got to punch and kick yourself out of the paper bag your that assumptions about yourself and the situation has created. What you are afraid of should be faced. What people are saying and you're not hearing should be heard. Options open to you that are not seeing should be sought after. What you are not seeing must be seen!

Back then I should have worked harder AND SMARTER in every way. Yes, I'm fine now and things get better. OTOH You can make things get better quicker! I wish I knew then what I know now. I actually THINK I did know these things back then but was too scared at the time to acknowledge that I knew them. Knowledge is power! It's scary too.

Just my POV. I wish you well.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A useful suggestion by Gautama Buddha was, approximately, "Better your own truth, however weak, than the truth of another, however noble."
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'll be honest, I can't help you in terms of your problem specifically, being even younger than you, but i can recommend buddhism as the best (that i've come across) way out.
  • Curiosone, life is a learning process. Just take your life one day at a time. You may get him back or you may not but you are definitely alive. So, live. It may be painful sometime but if you can accept whatever is coming your way, it would be easier. Maybe, you should rejoice in having his baby. That's a part of him that you are having.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    footiam, that's all very altruistic, but we also have to consider the practicalities. You try rejoicing at having something on your hands that someone else is responsible for.
    For 18 years.
    And paying for it single-handedly.
    Please - get real!

curiousone, Buddhism doesn't mean sacrificing yourself to the wishes of another to the detriment of your own well-being.
    You have to look after yourself and you also bear a great responsibility towards your child.
    Do not put this man on a pedestal.
    He's just as human as you are, and although you believe him to have been "smart beyond your comprehension" he's using this 'smartness' to outwit you.
    He is the father of the baby you are carrying and therefore just as morally, socially and LEGALLY responsible as you are.
    Do the right thing and bring this to light. And get him to step up to the plate and admit his responsibility.
    he's not thinking of moving to Mexico, he's also looking at it as running away.
    Try catching him there.....
    Please understand that Buddhism is about recognising Suffering, and ceasing suffering.
    While you always put others first, above and beyond your own needs, you will continue to suffer.
    Compassion begins with you.
    Unless you can see yourself primarily, as deserving of Compassion, kindness and freedom from suffering, you will be fooled by everything.
    Including this guy.
    Yo are better than this.
    You deserve better.
    And so does your child.
    This child may be half his, but it's half yours too.
    So step up and do the best for it.
    Even if it means making waves and rocking the boat.
  • federica
    i do put him on a pedastal, he's even told me he's just as human as me, thats what i see is because its how i percieve him to be
    Ive always seemed to put others before myself
    its like i dont like myself, i feel i dont love myself, like im never good enough
    but i feel like im on a teeder todder because one minute im fine and can see the greatness in myself and feel like i've come to except myself but then i see what im not and what it is i want to be like
    i've thinkin lately and its like the reason i truly was with him is because i wanted to be like him as if bein with would mean he'd 'rub' off on me
    i really hope to love myself soon but i dont really know what that means
    i know i should accept myself for how i am its seems to be the first step but idk how if i dont like myself like im not good enough for myself
    yes im happy that alive and all that im appreciative for that
    i just really want to get over this bump
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Loving yourself doesn't mean you have to constantly put yourself forward in the eyes of others, and try to be "bigger" than you are.
    Loving yourself means coming to terms, believing and really, REALLY, accepting that NOBODY else, is any better or more worthy than you are. Just as you are equal to everyone else, in every respect.
    Please understand - being Buddhist and compassionate, does not mean you have to be a pushover, or feeble, and give in.
    It means standing up for what is right, and still having a warm enough heart to understand that Humans deserve compassion and understanding.
    But that doesn't mean they have a right to walk all over you, and that you have to agree with everything, or put up with it.
    You can still have Loving Kindness and Compassion for someone - but give them a good talking to at the same time!

"Getting over this bump" may mean you having to face some unpleasant realities.
    "Getting over this bump" may mean you doing things you feel reluctant to do.
    But you must consider the security and future of both yourself and your child.

Just because you want to study and practise Buddhism and be nice - doesn't mean you have to be a nice doormat, too.....
  • footiam, that's all very altruistic, but we also have to consider the practicalities. You try rejoicing at having something on your hands that someone else is responsible for.
    For 18 years.
    Please - get real!

curiousone,
    I thought I was getting real. If a person does not want to be responsible for his or her action, there is nothing much we can do. One can't force responsibility on others but oneself. In that case, what I really mean is make the best of the situation. The baby is a living being and it is not that someone else is responsible for his birth. It is a product of both partners, in which case both are responsible for the child's well-being. Preferably, both should rejoice for the new life.
  • footiam, that's all very altruistic, but we also have to consider the practicalities. You try rejoicing at having something on your hands that someone else is responsible for.
    For 18 years.
    Please - get real!

curiousone,
    I thought I was getting real. If a person does not want to be responsible for his or her action, there is nothing much we can do. One can't force responsibility on others but oneself. In that case, what I really mean is make the best of the situation. The baby is a living being and it is not that someone else is responsible for his birth. It is a product of both partners, in which case both are responsible for the child's well-being. Preferably, both should rejoice for the new life.
    footiam- It's hard to know what any individual's life experience is in this venue, so I don't know what you're basing this on.

Yes, the birth of a child is a joyous occasion, but it also heralds in a long term commitment and responsibility. The young man can be compelled by the legal system to assume his share of responsibility. I don't know him but he is not unique in this situation.

Both of them are responsible for the pregnancy. We don't know the whole story and should not speculate. The bottom line is that the child will need love, food, shelter, clothing, medical care, education, guidance, and the list gets longer as the child gets older. I know this because I've raised three children. It's not a game. It's hard enough for a couple in a stable replationship. The young lady will need a great deal of support to take care of her child.

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Karte, I suppose you are right. It is not easy to raise a child.Every case is unique and I suppose, I am speaking as a person who is not experiencing the problem. Still, I believe a person with this problem should live on, making the best of the situation and be aware that sometimes things cannot be done our way and will not turn up the way one wants it. Life is suffering, no doubt but we try not to mope or if we do, let it not be forever and try to do the best we can.
  • Karte, I suppose you are right. It is not easy to raise a child.Every case is unique and I suppose, I am speaking as a person who is not experiencing the problem. Still, I believe a person with this problem should live on, making the best of the situation and be aware that sometimes things cannot be done our way and will not turn up the way one wants it. Life is suffering, no doubt but we try not to mope or if we do, let it not be forever and try to do the best we can.
    footiam- I agree with what you're saying. It's just that the mama bear comes out in me when it appears that people don't understand how serious the situation is, especially when the boy thinks he can just walk away. This is happening too much in our society and children are at risk.

I wish you a Happy New Year. Let's hope for a better year for everyone.

Namaste

• There's a good argument to be made for the fact that a child benefits greatly from having both female and male role models and parental love in the child's life. If the biological father doesn't step up, hopefully a grandfather, uncle or someone else will step in. Best wishes, Curiousone, for both you and your child.
  • You were teaching him too... Just a thought (to OP)
  • edited January 2011
    I agree with Kayte, and completely understand where footiam is coming from. This guy is responsible for the kid, and he is just being a selfish, for lack of a better term, prick. However, despite how this turns out, curiousone has a wonderful journey ahead of her. Since she is in contact with his family, and has support from her own - hopefully she will be able to make the decisions that are in the best interest of the little one. If he still has nothing to do with their kid after its birth, he is still responsible for its well-being.

And @curiousone, please let us know how you and the little one are doing. I'm sure you could use all of the support you can get. :)
  • well im doing better and the baby is good i went to the doctor the other day and i get my first sonogram this month :lol:

just as federica said i need to face some unpleasant realites and i have, i'd rather not get into it but i feel confident in saying im taking steps in the right direction with that situation! But I feel as though I need to focus more on buddhism im still studyin the four noble truths but i want to start lookin into some other things as well

so any suggestions on what to look into next for a beginner?
    Do you have access to a Library or some books you could buy?
    I would direct you to our recommended Reading thread, here.....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14/recommended-reading

• so any suggestions on what to look into next for a beginner?

Eff Buddhism, Eff your feelings, eff your smart lover.

A baby , not your mother's (or father's?) responsibility, is coming. How will YOU create a life for this innocent?

Answer:
    1) Lawyer up- give mr smartypants something to really think about. Have the court assign him a dollar figure he must produce every month to support the child. Let us see if he is smart enough to recognize the profound gift he has been given and then chooses a relationship with this baby.
    2) Forget Mr. Smartypants- except in so much as you can facilitate a relationship between his child and himself. Mr. Smartypants is GONE from you.
    3) Look to your education. Do not become a lifelong burden to you mother. Create a life for yourself that your child can be proud of. Again, your feelings here are no longer important.
    4) When you are in school and on a career path (you no longer get a childhood , my dear), when you are paying for yourself and your child, when you are looking to YOUR future (this is the now SAME as looking toward your child's future), then come back here. You will find these actions will have put you on the path you seek and your next post (in a year or two) will be much different.
    5) Stay away from drugs and alcohol. You , by your actions in creating a child, have forfeited "party time" and instead signed up for "adult time." These two distractions will only hinder your progress toward self sufficiency.

I know this is hard to hear. I love you.
    Now effing grow up.

• sndymorn does the OP really have to "go away and grow up", to paraphrase your point 4?