Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Can We Change this??

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Today
I listen to NPR everyday when I am driving and heard this story yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5018670

I don't understand how America is the richest country, yet we have people that have to give up their medications so they can afford food for their children. It is so sad and upsetting. Why can't the government do more to help these people? What can WE do to help these people?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I think there are too many issues at hand to clearly define "what is wrong".

I think at it's heart - it might be that "capitalism" is what is wrong.

There is no money to be made in taking a fraction of the wealth that a company makes and then use it to ensure that people are fed. It doesn't help the profit margin, allow for stock holders to get better returns, etc.

On the flip side - there are also many, many people that don't like working for a living.

I'm surprised at the amount of people that think their existance is everyone else working to support them. I can't tell you the amount of times I've gone out of my way or gave away money (that I really couldn't afford to give away at the time) to people that had lied about what they needed it for and, at times, never even paid me back.
    It puts a bad taste in your mouth regarding helping people that really need it.

So... I've changed some things and only help people through avenues or agencies that ensure (somewhat) that what is intended as help is available for those who need it.

Me, my girlfriend and my son just bought a whole bunch of T-Day packages that go to the local food bank for people that need it. I made my son raid the coin jar to scrape up money to pay for one himself!

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    I understand that there are just so many issues with the story I posted...it just makes me sad to hear about people that can't even afford the medications they need to stay healthy. The woman in that story has epilepsy, so she can't work, which means she can't afford the medication she needs. Health care should be a right, not a privelege in this country.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of the country, but here in Michigan the middle class is dying. We are going right back to pre-depression days with a rich class and a poor class. I see people in middle class towns losing jobs (i.e. GM cutting 30,000 jobs yesterday), Michigan's unemployment rate continues to decline, labor jobs are rapidly leaving this country, and yet I drive a few miles outside of my hometown and there are dozens upon dozens of new mansions being built - homes that are huge, ostentatious, and expensive (think $500,000 and up). Who is buying these homes? Somebody is...

Detroit remains one of the poorest cities in the country and yet 15 miles out of Detroit you have whole new residential areas with mansions being built.
    edited November 2005
    I agree. Health care should be a right. It's not like we're a poor nation.

People should be required to work - if they can work. Not just decide they are not going to and just be a burden on the State.

Doctors should be held accountable. People should not be able to sue everybody for the most inane reasons.

I should have the physique of a Greek God.

There are a lot of things that should happen or be in place - but they're not - and it's sad.

Especially me.

And me not having that physique thing I was talking about.

And that gas problem I have.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    The situation is no better in the UK... there was a case of a little old retired fellow who has nothing but a meagre government pension, and who has a tin of peas and a slice of bread every day for breakfast (the tin lasts him three days) he sometimes stays in bed, because he can't afford to heat his small one bedroom flat. He had to get rid of his car, and he saves up to go out for a drink at a bar twice a week, and his only indulgence is photography... he uses one film in a fortnight, and can just about afford to get it developped at the local drugtore. But now that his rent is going up, he's got to give up his only hobby, because he won't be able to afford to live.

there are equally ridiculous situations in France....
    Frankly, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.....

Nick says that "the Poor drink the milk while the Rich eat the honey"..... :(
    edited November 2005
    Brian wrote:
    I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of the country, but here in Michigan the middle class is dying. We are going right back to pre-depression days with a rich class and a poor class. I see people in middle class towns losing jobs (i.e. GM cutting 30,000 jobs yesterday), Michigan's unemployment rate continues to decline, labor jobs are rapidly leaving this country, and yet I drive a few miles outside of my hometown and there are dozens upon dozens of new mansions being built - homes that are huge, ostentatious, and expensive (think $500,000 and up). Who is buying these homes? Somebody is...

Detroit remains one of the poorest cities in the country and yet 15 miles out of Detroit you have whole new residential areas with mansions being built.

I believe the middle-class is dying all over. The gap between the have's and the have-nots is getting bigger.

Michael Moore did a great movie about people being laid off in Detroit back in the late 80's or 90's that was very interesting. How the big car manufacturers lay off entire towns that just slowly die and become ghost-towns.

Very sad.

I also know that where I live there is TONS of new construction going on. New homes are being built and I've wondered who is buying them. It's not like the city where I live has had tons of new companies created to support all this new housing.
    In this case - a lot of it is due to people from California - who have lived in a house for quite a while (at least through a housing boom) that sell their homes for huge amounts of money - and then come up here and buy a much nicer house for chump change. Then they retire.

Which is cool. I'm not saying that what they're doing is wrong.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:

there are equally ridiculous situations in France....
    Frankly, the rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.....

Nick says that "the Poor drink the milk while the Rich eat the honey"..... :(

My mom used to say:

A canopy:

A rich man sleeps under it.
    A poor man has one under his bed.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I agree. Health care should be a right. It's not like we're a poor nation.

People should be required to work - if they can work. Not just decide they are not going to and just be a burden on the State.

Doctors should be held accountable. People should not be able to sue everybody for the most inane reasons.

I should have the physique of a Greek God.

There are a lot of things that should happen or be in place - but they're not - and it's sad.

Especially me.

And me not having that physique thing I was talking about.

And that gas problem I have.

-bf

People should also be required to undergo some serious tests before they are allowed to have children! I know there are a lot of things that should happen, that don't, but sometimes I don't feel like I do enough to change the way things are. I mean, really, I am one little person - what could I do???

And BF - do some yoga everyday and you will be pleased with your physique. :)
  • edited November 2005
    fed - that story you told about that older man is so sad. Countries need to do a MUCH better job of taking care of the elderly!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    It is ironic that our Western nations, prosperous and wealthy, ignore our marginalised and elderly in a way that horrifies other, "developing" countries.

History may well decide that criteria by which to judge the various convulsions since the Fall of Rome are how a nation treats its children and its old. I fear that we shall not measure up very well.

"It's the same the whole world over
    Ain't it all a bleeding shame
    It's the rich that gets the pleasure
    And the poor that gets the blame."
    edited November 2005
    I suggest James Halperin's book The Truth Machine to highlight and offer some perspective on the problems with modern America (and most likely modern Europe as well).
    edited November 2005
    Buddhafoot:

Now that GM has announced these layoffs, the city of Spring Hill, TN is going to become a ghost town.

This has happened all over michigan. Ford did it to Highland Park, MI. GM did it to Flint, MI. These are just two of many burned out hulks of formerly glorious cities. It is incredible to see it with your own eyes. I have lived here my whole life and it still shocks me.
    edited November 2005
    It gives me some comfort, Brian, that what you describe has been experienced before. We are not alone. My ancestors saw the same process during the long fall of Rome. For us, the legions were withdrawn almost overnight, and we waited and waited for them to come back. And the cities fell into ruins, villas were desserted, village life re-emerged. But we are still here. There were some uncomfortable times but we survive.
  • edited November 2005
    Brian wrote:

Brian:

I agree. I don't think that there is a middle class in existence ANYWHERE in America if you ask me! I know there isn't here in Anderson, Indiana where I live. The city wastes money on building crystal arches for people to walk through and calls itself helping the residents here. At the same time, the "powers that be" say that there is not enough money for any sort of programs that may help to alleviate suffering that people are having to go through because of being unemployed. :mad: :rant: I'm sorry, but a crystal arch is not going to help me and my children stay warm this winter when I cannot even get a job to provide the necessities of life like food, shelter, etc. There are people here that cannot get any sort of help to even feed their families because there are no resources or money for food programs and/or the process for applying for food stamps and/or Medicaid is so time consuming and prohibitive here. As an average, 7 out of 10 people get rejected for one reason or another here. One thing that I just cannot understand is this: Why is gross income used when no one ever GETS gross income anyway? You would think that NET income is what would matter. Also, why are expenditures like car insurance, groceries, medical bills, laundry, and the like not considered when applying for public assistance? :rant: They are facts of life just like rent, mortgage, car payments, and utilities are. There are no jobs here that can help address these sort of issues either. The few jobs here, like in fast food for instance, only allow one to work 15-20 hours at the very most. There are engineers working at the local McDonald's here. That is how bad it is here. The Delphi plant just closed here as well as four other local businesses. If you want any kind of job that will pay more than $6/hr, you had better be willing to travel at least 30 miles or more a day. Luckily, I just got a job in Indianapolis, which is 35 miles from where I live in Anderson. Right now, I am in the training phase and I have to pass a series of tests and exams after training to even keep the job. Whatever. That is the sort of thing that one must do to get a job here in Indiana that even pays half-way decent. As bad as the economy is, employers are just not hiring or they are being extremely more particular when conducting their respective hiring processes than what is considered to be the normal, usual process. I guess they figure they can afford to be that way. What really gets me in an uproar is this: The same people that make the decisions as to whether or not the funding gets approved for a food program or a school's music program or for the constructing of crystal arches are always the ones that live in the mansions here, not the poor people. To me, unless you can experience for yourself first hand what it is like to be without shelter, food, or even the money to buy your kids a Christmas present so they won't be disappointed on Christmas morning, you cannot even begin to understand how I feel or even walk a mile in my shoes. So, yes, Brian---I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am sorry for such a long post and for such bitterness that has no doubt been shown in my post as well. I guess I am so frustrated at the lack of any sort of help that it has made me quite angry. :rarr: :mad: Sorry about that, my friend! I do consider myself fortunate in the fact that I just got a job because there are so many here without one at all. Maybe I will get to keep it if I pass all the tests and exams that are required to do so. I figure I can only do the best I can.

Adiana:usflag:
  • edited November 2005
    And just to add something to this post...not sure how many of you watch Oprah, but last night, she did her famous "My Favorite Things" show. Her audience was filled with all of the heroes that helped people in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, and they all got to take home thousands and thousands of dollars worth of gifts. Sure, that's a nice gesture, but why didn't she have her audience filled with the people that actually LIVE in New Orleans and could really use those gifts?? I do like Oprah, but sometimes I just get tired of famous people telling us how terriffic they are, when in reality, if they were that "giving", they would give a lot more of their billions of dollars to people that actually needed it. I will say that Bono from U2 does an amazing job with giving his time and money to people and charities that need it, but he is one of the very few out there.
    edited November 2005
    Yikes.

I'm sorry - but I can't stand Oprah.

My girlfriend watches Oprah like she's some sort of saint. And quotes me "Oprah said this" and "Oprah says that" all the time. I can't STAND IT.

When you are Oprah, it's no big deal to give huge amounts of money to charities. You know why? Because I believe, tax-wise, you get a better break if you give huge some of money to charities rather than pay what you would be required to if you just opted to pay taxes on that money.

And does she read all these books herself that she spouts off about all the time? I have a hard time believing so. It's probably someone on her staff that gives her the Cliff Notes.

And the audience hand-outs? Are those from Oprah or the manufacturer probably looking for a tax break.

And Random Acts Of Kindness - I believe in them - but do I need to be spoon fed "kindness" by someone who lives in opulence?

I'm reminded of the story of the poor woman who went to pray at the temple and gave what tiny bit she had as an offering. It was much. Not much of anything - nor did it account for much. BUT IT WAS ALL SHE HAD. I believe her reward was much greater than the pittance she gave - but what she gave was her all.

Give me a hero like ex-President Jimmy Carter. A man who forgoes Secret Service agents following him around all the time (so that money can be wasted some other place), who regularly sweats aside other kind and giving people building shelter for homeless families, who tirelessly wanders the world helping countries and governments implement social programs (or those seeking democracy) for the masses of said country.

I don't think he uses $1,000 cans of facial cream nightly. Or spend thousands of dollars on his hair weekly.

Who brought up Oprah anyway and got me all riled?

Probably that Yodamama chick....

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I haven't seen the Oprah show for ages 'n' ages.... besides which, the programmes broadcast on British television are at least two series behind her current programmes in the USA....
    Heck, in our programmes, Dr. Phil McGraw still has hair.....!!

While I agree there is rampant hypocrisy with regard to the wealthy flaunting their goodness in public, one could almost liken it to the Pope's existence surrounded by pomp, luxury and incalculable wealth... One candlestick on the Altar of St. Peter's Church in Rome would be worth a couple of million bucks....!

But some of their Intention is well-meant. Some folks can't help being rich, or having money. It's what they are deemed to be worth. By whom and why, are two different matters entirely.... But when a footballer's salary for one week, equals the annual salary of a firefighter or nurse - something, somewhere, is horribly,horribly indecent.....
    edited November 2005
    Ahhhhh yet ANOTHER Oprah sympathizer.

Must be an ovary thing or somethin'.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    NoNoNoNo! Not an Oprah sympathiser, just Devil's advocate. But of course, he doesn't exist.......!! post-771-1128846504.gif
  • edited November 2005
    America is a great place to live but I think the American Government sux
  • edited November 2005
    The lack of 'free' healthcare and higher education in America is appalling in a so called civilised country. It was one of the things that shocked me the most when I came over here from the UK.
  • edited November 2005
    I was watching Fox news last night and they were talking about the GM layoffs and how they were also cutting benefits - and how that would make other companies do the same since they have to be competitive. And some jerk on there was talking about how it wasn't such a bad thing since now people would have to take care of that stuff on their own instead of relying on others! Hello! What the hell were they doing by working full-time jobs! He made it sound like they were lazy bums or something. Health insurance is not just expensive, it's really hard to get if you have actual medical problems and don't have a policy through your job or your spouse's job (a good reason for gay marriage!).

Anyways, I definitely agree that the middle class is dying here and that is a huge problem. People think that huge riots and revolutions and things like that can't happen here, but the upper-middle class and above (and many lower middle class even) don't understand what it's like to work hard and still not be able to get by. That's the kind of thing that drives people to desperation - when you work your ass off and still can't feed your kids or get your meds. It makes you feel like the world is against you and screw them. It's not the poor people here are all lazy bums. But what do you do when you can't just work harder?
    edited November 2005
    I believe america is ready for a revolution. In fact, we are living it right now. We are the warriors. We are the revolution.
  • edited November 2005
    You've probably already come across this talk before Brian, but for those who haven't:

The Spiritual Revolution will not be Televised - Talk by Noah Levine
    edited November 2005
    The French Revolution was, at least at the start, an uprising of the middle class and the minor aristocracy against the catastrophic fiscal policies of Louis XVI and Necker. But our rulers do not appear to learn anything from history.

Even the so-called Peasants' Revolt was led by the emerging middle class of reeves.

Lenin. Trotsky, etc., were middle class.

It is the fundamental error of Marx's historical view that revolution comes from the bottom: it starts in the middle. It is only after blood starts to flow that the poor rise and the horror really begins.

In the US, you are only 200 years from revolt against authority and less than 150 years from devastating fratricidal civil war: violence stalks your streets still. I am sure that revolution can be avoided but I am not sure that necessary action is being taken to do so.
  • edited November 2005
    In my little corner of the world, my family knows all to well that there is no more middle class and that something must be done.

I live in California with both my mother and my son. ( meidian House 650,000, Median Income 30,000) My son and I are doing the best we can to help my mom make ends meet. We both know that without us being here she would be on the streets, with no medicines ( she is a diabetic). For in our world of reality, When we first came home to Grandma's house, She was tring to survive on her social security. Her bills were as follows, Rent for her one Bedroom trailer - 900 a month, Medicine 2 vials of insulin 130, needles 35, extras such as alchol and cotton swabs - 15. Supplemental Insurance to cover what Medicare doesn't 115.
    Her Social security is only 1180 per month. She doesn't qualify for any social programs because her SSi is to high for them. Didn't leave much for food and being a diabetic she needs to eat properly. While my son and I both work full time and pick up extra from the few odd jobs. It is still a struggle for the three of us to make ends meet.
    We know that something must be done to remedy the situation in our country, but like many are at a lost how to go about waking up the local politicains, who seem to have lost contact with the people they represent. Any suggestions would be well received.
  • edited November 2005
    Moonlgt, my advice to you, drastic as it is, would be to save a little money, enough for a few weeks accomodation and a plane flight, and get your mother on a flight to Europe, preferably Holland, the UK, France, Spain or Germany. Once there, your mother will receive her treatment free and be assisted in finding subsidised accomodation if she stays.

I'm not saying that this will be an ideal solution and that there won't be problems. Technically after all, European Union member countries will make a formal effort to charge non EU nationals, and member countries such as the UK and France in particular will try to get your mother to leave rather than stay long term, but given your mother's circumstances, charges will be waived and she will not be denied the treatment and medications she requires on financial grounds. Holland in particular will provide a better standard of living and certainly excellent healthcare, compared to what your mother receives in the US. Also, with regards to France - French beauracracy is legendary and intimidating, and they have a lot of problems at the moment as you know, so I'd suggest Holland as a first choice. Life will certainly still be hard, but at least your mother will be be able to live without having to worry about her health care and how to get her rent. Whilst I have a very limited income, if there's anything I can help with - don't hesitate to ask.
    edited November 2005
    I would throw in a caveat about France. Medical treatment is NOT free here.
    Everyone is insured, by law, by the medical insurance of the company they work with, and health contributions are deducted from the salary. This pays for two-thirds of any treatment.
    people then take out a supplementary insurance to take care of the remaining third. They also include insurance against hospital stays, their dining expenses there, and anything else that might be required, like x-rays, physiotherapy and re-habilitation.....
    If you come to France for medical attention, you have to have a certified letter from your own doctor stating why it is impossible for you to have this treatment in your own country. But your own home insurance company will still gat billed and you are required to supply all details before treatment starts.

My mother, who came to France for her hip replacement, had to satisfy these criteria.

Just for info, you know.....;)
  • edited November 2005
    Thank you Federica,

I was thinking of the reciprocal arrangment between France and other EU member states which means for example that UK nationals can get 'free' treatment if the appropriate paper work is filled out. I used to work in the Health Service in the UK, and must admit I took such things for granted whenever I went to France. Scratch France off the list then.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Be glad that your right to freedom of speech and expression are governed... Will the US consider lack of free speech and expression a reason for asylum? Don't think so though... It is sad that each year elite thousands are leaving my country to elsewhere where their political rights are guranteed... :(
  • edited November 2005
    Ajani, whilst not wishing to equate the US with a regime like that in Singapore, I would point out that such 'freedom' is relative, and would have to say that whilst in theory there is freedom here, my actual experience is that it's largely an illusion. The disparity between rich and poor, the arrogance of a political system that doesn't care about it's own people, lack of basic universal health care and access to higher education, as well as a culture of self censorship and repression, contribute to making this one of the most repressive regimes I've ever lived under. And that is after having lived in a neo fascist dictatorship during war time.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    People should also be required to undergo some serious tests before they are allowed to have children! I know there are a lot of things that should happen, that don't, but sometimes I don't feel like I do enough to change the way things are. I mean, really, I am one little person - what could I do???

And BF - do some yoga everyday and you will be pleased with your physique. :)

And how would we judge these tests? I know you are one of those parents that keeps your child very close. I myself be;live that is not healthy for the child later on in life. I believe it is right to make the child independent. My 8 year old isn't afraid of the dark or sleeping by herself. She actually prefers sleeping alone. She loves horror movies. Never has bad dreams and is very loving and doesn't make wrong decisions. The things she gets in trouble for are the average kid things like backtalking once in a while and not listening. So what one parent thinks is good parenting another may find damaging. You hear these stories about how mothers are nursing children at later ages. They believe it is healthy for their child. Others believe otherwise. The head doctors all have clashing opinions. Then there is the question of where do we draw the line. Having children is a right we have as living beings. What do we do if people go and have kids without permission? Controlling people too much never works out. Just look at WWII.
  • edited November 2005
    For me the creating of a new life is not a question of "Rights" but responsibility; by this I mean thinking beforehand about the consequences. The basic question is "Can we afford to feed, clothe, house and provide medical care?"."Are we putting our selfish desires first?"

The UK has the highest number of teenage pregnancies in Europe. This puts a massive strain on the Welfare system, as well as creating enormous social problems. Multiple children produced by different fathers is now commonplace. To me, these factors are abusing the "Rights" and clearly don't demonstrate responsibility. This financial burden is paid for by the taxpayer, which means that the elderly, sick, infirm and disabled, through no fault of their own, go without.

Children are being born in ever increasing numbers all over the world, often in the poorest countries, where their chances of survival are pratically zero! The sad fact is that in the so called Western civilisations infant mortality is increasing. In the UK and I suspect also in the USA, the "Rights" of the child are put first particularly during divorce, WHY is this not the case before people decide to have them.

I am not advocating that only the Rich have the right to have children, but unless there is a radical distribution of the worlds wealth, or a great deal more responsibility shown by the poorest of our society, the innocents will be the first to suffer.
    edited November 2005
    Abraham wrote:
    ... In the UK and I suspect also in the USA, the "Rights" of the child are put first particularly during divorce,

Oddly enough, and a little off subject, I have found this statement to be a complete fallacy. I believe in a divorce the law in the US is:

Judges are allowed to do as little as possible to put in their 8 hours of work and the attorneys have the right to bleed their clients while neither of the aforementioned subjects ~really~ gives a shit about the children.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    BF, I am all to aware personally that the law is an Ass, however my point is that in the UK we have the Childrens Act etc..etc...which supposedly protects the Child. I was attempting to illustrate that the interest of the Child should begin before conception!

I would be the first to agree that often the decisions made in divorce cases reflect how out of touch our Judges are and the outright greed of the legal system! It beggars belief:mad:
    edited November 2005
    I know, Abe.

That's why I said I was going a little off-topic.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    On the subject of a "middle class" here in the states I must say that here in Las Vegas it does exist. The employment rate here is at 4.1 percent. That means that only 4.1 percent of the people are unemployable or don't want to work. The economy here is booming. It is built on other people's money but no one makes them come here and spend. I just found out last night that when I get my own Dominos to run I will make 20 oercent of the profits plus other bonus. The profits on an average store are around 3-5 thousand each period. Plus I get a salery. Very good money. I'll make a minimum of 45,000 a year. That is middle class if you ask me. But I know Vegas is unique.
    edited November 2005
    Well... GIT ON IT!

Whaddya waitin' for? Get that new Domino's and get crackin!

-bf
    edited November 2005
    They are loooking at around the beginning of the year. My boss has been teaching the General Manager's paperwork. Not much of it but I need to know it. I hope I am as good as she is.
  • edited November 2005
    And how would we judge these tests? I know you are one of those parents that keeps your child very close. I myself be;live that is not healthy for the child later on in life. I believe it is right to make the child independent. My 8 year old isn't afraid of the dark or sleeping by herself. She actually prefers sleeping alone. She loves horror movies. Never has bad dreams and is very loving and doesn't make wrong decisions. The things she gets in trouble for are the average kid things like backtalking once in a while and not listening. So what one parent thinks is good parenting another may find damaging. You hear these stories about how mothers are nursing children at later ages. They believe it is healthy for their child. Others believe otherwise. The head doctors all have clashing opinions. Then there is the question of where do we draw the line. Having children is a right we have as living beings. What do we do if people go and have kids without permission? Controlling people too much never works out. Just look at WWII.

Well, it really was a joke about having people go through tests before having children. And yes, I keep my daughter close by having her co-sleep with us, and yes, I was a mother that breastfed my daughter past age one (oh, heaven forbid! Don't even get me started on that one!!). Before even having a baby, I researched cosleeping and breastfeeding and then decided what was right for my family. But, just because I cosleep and follow Attachment Parenting doesn't mean that my daughter is not independent. Quite the opposite, in fact. My daughter started a new Montessori school last week, and just yesterday, her teacher (who has been a teacher for 20 years) said that my daughter is definitely the most independent child she has ever seen. Cosleeping (along with other things) actually makes the child feel safe and independent. I get too many comments from people that don't really know anything about Attachment Parenting, colseeping and the benefits of breastfeeding. It's different than their way of parenting, so they think that it is wrong. Each child is different. Each parent is different. I don't go around telling people that don't breastfeed or cosleep that they are doing it wrong, yet I get all sorts of comments on how my way of parenting is "bad".
  • edited December 2005
    The evidence is also there that just sleeping in the same room as your baby massively reduces Cot Death Syndrome. The benefits of Breastmilk is also beyond doubt...antibodies etc...I think that your daughters results speak for themselves:smilec:
  • edited December 2005
    "Cot Death Syndrome" must be what we Americans call "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)". Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. My husband and I know we are doing the right thing for our family. It may not work for everyone, but it sure works great for us.
    edited December 2005
    Abraham wrote:
    The evidence is also there that just sleeping in the same room as your baby massively reduces Cot Death Syndrome. The benefits of Breastmilk is also beyond doubt...antibodies etc...I think that your daughters results speak for themselves:smilec:

Well what age have you heard or read about where it is healthy or unhealthy for a child to be sleeping or not sleeping with parents? My wife has worked in child care for 6 years and she sees all the kids who are so attached to their parents that they throw fits when their parents try and leave them. When I was a kid my parents let me sleep with them until I was around age 2 and then when they tried to get me to sleep in my own bed I would scream and cry for about an hour every night. I kept sleeping with them off and on until I was about 11. With my little sister they went a different route and made her sleep in her own bed and she bever had a problem sleeping alone. Of corse there is more to parenting than sleeping arrangments and breastfeeding. I have always said that if people talk to their children instead of at them children will respond better. I had the bad luck of parents who never tried to understand me or take me seriously as a child. With my 8 year old I explain things to her and I make sure she knows she is my best friend. I believe building this relationship now will help through the teenage years. I also teach my daughter about "boy" things. She isn't into girly things anyway. She wants to learn how to rebuild engnes and cars. I am working on my oldsmobile now and when my family gets here next year I am going to have her help me work on it. YM I don't know if your methods are right or wrong but I don't agree they will be beneficial when she gets older. But I am only going from what I have seen from friends and family and not from personal experience. But I would love to hear more about how it works out for you if you are willing to share.
    edited December 2005
    Having been a School Governor for a number of years, I naturally worked very closely with School staff and parents alike, and their children. I was a member of a sub-committee that dealt with Child psychology and parenting issues, and let me tell you - at the risk of putting my head above the parapet - the manner in which a child was weaned, bedded, fed or otherwise, mattered little, and bore very little influence on the child's development.... And I met parents from all walks of life - I can honestly say no two parents ever did the same thing.

There IS no "Right Way".

I have had countless parents stand in front of me and ask, 'what are we doing wrong?' And there is no answer..... because every parent is an individual, every child is an individual, and enormous and widely varying influences - Social, Genetic, Environmental, Hereditary, Psychological - are brought to bear.
    A woman I knew had two daughters who were vastly different in character She had to apply two very different sets of rules, because what worked for one, was entirely inappropriate for the other... And these two girls were twins....

All any parent can do, is fly by the seat of their pants, and do the best they can with what they've got..... And inspite of all these relatively recent strides 'forward' (questionable!) made with regard to being a "Good" parent (Child psychology books, videos, DVD's..... oh, Goodness! Spare me from the well-manicured, beautifully made-up so-called 'Expert!!') ..... ultimately, all any parent can do, is Just Their Best.
  • edited December 2005
    Jason - children screaming when their parents drop them off at daycare/school or wherever is just "separation anxiety". Almost all children go through it at one time or another, and I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not that child cosleeps. My daughter doesn't scream or cry when we leave her anywhere. And being attached to a parent isn't such a bad thing! So many people want young kids/toddlers to be so independent right away - why not let them just be kids?? Having a strong bond with your parents is a good thing, IMO. My husband's mom was an awful, mean lady and he even had separation anxiety with her. It's just a stage children go through. I believe that what we are doing for our daughter will be VERY beneficial for her as she gets older. I've done my research on the subject and feel very good about what I am doing. It may not be right for some families, but it certainly is right for mine - I have no doubt about that. Emma is our only child right now, and if we have another one, cosleeping may not be right for that child. It doesn't work for everyone. If you want something to read on the subject, this is a good place to start:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

Our daughter will be in our bed with us for as long as she wants. :)
    edited December 2005
    Thanks. I will read it.
  • edited December 2005
    Very disappointed and dismayed that my post on this thread was removed. Is it a newbuddhist.com sin to point out that NPR is biased (fact)?
    edited December 2005
    Am not aware of any post being removed... let me put it this way. It wasn't me. :)
  • edited December 2005
    I understand your point. The USA is an imperfect place, as many countries are. But there is poor and there is poor. When compared to other countries we are quite fortunate. Not perfect though, and more can be done.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2005
    :bawling:
    Now I don't look forward to growing up...darn... :-/
    And Fede, I'm really shocked about the healthcare situation in France. :eekblue: I read a book this summer called Paris to the Moon, which was about an American journalist and his family moving to France for 2-3 years on assignment. In one chapter, his son gets into a terrible accident and has to get a LOT of stitches, plus stay in the hospital for a bit. Apparently, this particular journalist didn't have to show insurance, or pay for anything.

Interesting change...