Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you deal with the title or label of Buddhist?

edited December 2010 in General Banter
One thing I used to tell myself throughout my life, which still believe is "Don't join a team".
But I don't mean sports team or anything life that, I mean a team like "I'm the the Conservative team", "I'm in the Communist team", "I'm in the hippy Atheist team", "I'm in the right-wing, Christian team", because that's all it is is a team, its because humans are tribal by nature.
If you go t a football game and 100 hooligans are beating the living man-s**t out of each other, I can guarantee that only about 30% actually care about the game, what the rest of them want to do, is put on a football shirt that is a different colour than the other teams colour and fight for their tribe, and this is with everything.

There are employees of companies that hate each other because of the people who proit heavily off their labour, and throw them all peanuts at the end of the day, and that's supposed to make sense?
It actually does, because their corporation is their tribe, its what they live for and identify themselves by and people love doing it.

One thing I am having a hard time doing, is that before if people would ask what I am, I would just say Agnostic, because its the religion that isn't a religion, its the religion of "I don't know" I don't use the label of Agnostic, because when people who fall into the category of Agnostic, then they all buddy up to create a religion, and in reality, I'm nothing I don't believe in jack at the moment still however, I'm in the early stages and still exploring.

I would hate to have the label, if I became a Buddhist, then the only thing I would have a problem with is when people ask the painful question to whether or not I believe in god, I have to give them my label, its another thing that is slowing down the beliefs in me, because when I think of myself in a few years as a fully practising Buddhist, I think, well, why not Christian?, or Muslim? its just another label, I haven't found a spiritual path, I have looked at already existing paths and chosen which one I like best, I don't like Islam or Christianity, but whether or not I like them doesn't mean that they are wrong...
Life isn't about deciding what is and isn't, life is about tolerating crap, and if god or allah exist, then I have a tyrannical, eternal dictator to get pleasing, and I can't just say... screw this... I'm moving to Buddhism.. but who is to say that is correct?

What I'm getting at, is that I feel like my intentions for being here in the first place are bad, I tried to meditate today, and I was concentrating on my breathing and the thought of "wow, stuff has changed in the past 2 years, if you told me at 21 I would be meditating and travelling between temples..." and then it just kinda hit me, that all I did in the first place was feel depressed and chose something bigger than myself to be a part of, and that happens a lot, I haven't been doing anything unique, I feel like I have jumped on a band wagon, I'm just giving myself a label I can give myself to make me feel like I'm not alone.

I know I'm probably wrong, which is good, and I know there is somebody on here who can tell me other wise, and this is why I posted this.
I might post this from time to time, and its not me trying to prove anything, its just me asking you to prove me wrong, in a way that I want you to and know you can.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Just a side not, Agnosticism is not a religion in any sense.
  • Here's the thing, buddhism is just a raft used to cross a river :)

Much of buddhism is within ineffable concepts and they can not possibly be summed up in concepts or in some label. At the most basic level you are a buddhist but much of buddhism is finding your own path, not following another.

and the reason "Why not Christian" is because you understand that Christianity is not as good of a way. The amount of suffering caused by the monotheistic Abrahamic religions is staggering, the only thing on a similar scale is the happiness caused by buddhism.

There are many buddhist schools, there are no commandments, there isn't much of a wagon to jump on. And unlike Christianity the wagon isn't the best we can do in this life, the shore we are brought to is.

Certainly the "will to meaning," to borrow the phrasing of Viktor Frankl is a powerful reactive motivation humans share, but much of buddhism is freeing yourself from reactive motivation such as this.

Stick with buddhism, i think you will find there is much of value in it. More than any other path I have yet heard of.
  • edited December 2010
    Just a side note, Agnosticism is not a religion in any sense.
    I know it isn't and neither is Atheism.

But the labels make my point, remember that billboard in America that says "You KNOW its a myth, this season, celebrate reason" and had a picture of the nativity?
    That is one of the most religious things I have ever seen in my life, that is Atheist becoming a cult, people who label themselves and have created their own tribe, group, religion, and that's what it is.

And if I labelled myself an Agnostic, then all that would happen is that Agnostics would get together and have an entire cult based on the "I DON'T KNOW" ideology, just like the Atheists are doing.

Can you see why I'm starting to see why most things that are to do with religion are pretty much their own religion?

I just want to be a Meist, but then Meism would become popular, then people would say, "Lets start a group for Meists and live our lives by it and make a whole thing about it, ya know, like Richard Dawkins' clan did!" and so on...
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    If we don't label ourselves, others will do it for us. Even if we do label ourselves, others will label us anyway. The best way to deal with labels is to find out how they lead us astray.

Cheers, WK
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Don't worry about labels and stuff. Just keep on meditating, you'll be fine. If you want to keep it open whether there is a god or not, great! That's a good attitute you've got there. Don't believe what others tell you, find it out for yourself. You might not want to label it that way, but that's Buddhism.

But you can benefit from some support by likeminded people, so I don't advise you go the lonely road, you don't have to be unique you know. These people can be Buddhist, but also be Christians, Hindu's, whatever. All these people are trying to find a spiritual path, so you're never alone. Your always in some kind of a group, if you label yourself or not doesn't even matter. The connection is there anyway.

Wherever you find a bit of truth, try to incorporate it into your life. And if you only believe what you really found out for yourself and deep inside know to be true (whatever that may be, even if you really found God) well.. then I'll call you a Buddhist anyway. ;)
  • I actually had this same problem (and still do in a way) when I first started. I didn't want to be called a "Buddhist" because of my flakey nature. I'd say I'm a buddhist, and then one year later, say, "Nah, not anymore."

Honestly, you don't need a religion. You can follow your own way, practice what you think is right, do what you think is right or wrong, you don't really need anything that says "I am this".

Buddhism is more or less suggestions on how to live a happy and peaceful life. You can practice the Buddhist teachings like the precepts, and the noble truths and still not call your self a buddhist. Who says we have to?
  • edited January 2011
    a) Who asks what religion you are? That question has never come up in my entire lifetime. Are you sure this isn't mainly in your mind?
    b) Tell them you're studying Comparative Religion, if anyone asks. Or simply say you don't believe in God, without elaborating. There's no label involved in that. (Why is "do you believe in God?" a painful question, by the way?)
    c) The important thing is that Buddhism works for you. You're feeling better, meditation is helping, that's all that matters.
    d) Buddhism is sort of a non-team. Do you see Buddhists organizing marches, like the Communists, Right-Wing Christians, or Hippy Atheists? Do you see them organizing rock concerts or coordinating letters-to-the editor campaigns against Muslims, or doing any of the things the other "teams" do? Buddhists tend to be very low-key, especially in the West, where they're below the radar. Relax. Enjoy. No need to over-think, or fret. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    One thing that "taking refuge" means, is to "jump on the Buddha's bandwagon", so to speak. So this is a good thing because that bandwagon is traveling to a place of ultimate peace. It is a wise choice to jump on this bandwagon because that is what it was made for to begin with. Doing it alone is doing it the hard way. Why do it the hard way?

• edited January 2011
    I don't think you "become a Buddhist."

All human beings are ALREADY Buddha but (big percentage here) literally do not know it.

What happens for some people (us here at NewBuddhist for instance) is they wake up slowly but surely a little bit every day.

Simply speaking, if you inform yourself and guide all your actions by "What would Buddha do?" maybe that's a way to "become" a Buddhist.

Labels? What I do? I tell them Buddhism is cool (and unique) because it totally avoids trying to characterize or personify (and thus passively worship) god. All the spiritual energy is put into doing only good things for others including oneself. That shuts them up quickly (LOL) and gives them something to think about.

Just talking. I dunno. Wishing you well. :)
  • It all depends on what you are comfortable with. Ultimately the truth isn't found in words, and so even the words of the teachings of buddhism. The label means nothing. It is just that, a label. Personally, I used to call myself a buddhist, but I no longer do.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    What I'm getting at, is that I feel like my intentions for being here in the first place are bad, I tried to meditate today, and I was concentrating on my breathing and the thought of "wow, stuff has changed in the past 2 years, if you told me at 21 I would be meditating and travelling between temples..." and then it just kinda hit me, that all I did in the first place was feel depressed and chose something bigger than myself to be a part of, and that happens a lot, I haven't been doing anything unique, I feel like I have jumped on a band wagon, I'm just giving myself a label I can give myself to make me feel like I'm not alone.

MARC! That name is SO much easier to deal with than "IDLML"! Is this a new leaf you've turned over for the New Year? Does this mean you actually like your life, at least a little? That's huge! "Stuff has changed" not just in the last 2 years, but the last 2 months! Keep up the good work.

There is no wrong reason to check out Buddhism. But I don't think you picked that label to make you feel like you're not alone. You joined this website for that reason; smart move--you reached out to people in your hour of need. But I think it might be more accurate to say you chose Buddhism because a) you needed a lifeline and b) Buddhism works. So far, for you, anyway. (Congrats on a good meditation session, BTW; you're right--if you relaxed, you did something right.) It may take a little time for you to get used to your new reality, to the fact that just a few months ago, you never would've imagined yourself doing such an off-the-wall thing as going to temples, meditating, reading Buddhist books as though your life depended on it. Which, it kind of actually did. You don't need to take it quite so seriously, and just give yourself time to mellow into it. If the occasion arises when you have to tell someone what your religious leanings are (why would it?), just say you're doing some reading to try to find something that fits. It's the truth.

Personally, I'm getting a charge out of hearing sincere enthusiasm in your "voice", compared to just a few weeks ago. I hope you find a "temple" (or sangha, i.e. spiritual community) where you feel at home. Give us a progress report, please. Happy New Year! Happy First Week Of The Rest Of Your Life. You're off and running. :clap:

P.S. Hey, have you seen your counselor? How did the session go? What do your parents say about your Buddhist activities? Are they happy for you? We are.
  • edited January 2011

Don't worry about labels.
  • If you're doing online dating, or facebook, then they will ask you what your religion is. A lot of people who browse you are interested in that. I usually always put Agnostic. I feel the label of Agnostic is the most neutral one. If you use or say Buddhist, people who aren't aware of Buddhism will start putting all type of stereotypes to you. Buddhism isn't a western religion, so most westerners really don't know too much about it.

I believe Agnosticism is more neutral than Atheism, because Atheism is a faith just like the other religions. Atheism basically means "I am pretty sure there is nothing". So that is getting close to being a faith or fundamentalist type belief. Agnostic says "I don't know".

Buddhism on the other hand can be a religion, but more so than anything else, it is just a useful application. Such as martial arts is to fighting. Buddhism is essentially an application to improve your mental state on your own, without any faith. But again, when you start labeling it as a religion many westerners will have misconceptions about it.
  • "part of samgha" instead of buddh'ist
    "dharma" instead of buddh'ism
  • edited January 2011
    I've been practicing Buddhist teachings for quite some time. However, when most people simply see me walking down the street, they usually instantly label me on the spot. Not as a Buddhist, either. It's usually as an initial reaction, because it's easier to identify and deal with people, places, and things when we've defined and categorized them properly.
  • Very practical advice, Mr. Serenity. And I like your description of Buddhism as an "application".
    On those online networking sites, is there an option to put "no religion"? Just wondering, because so many Westerners feel that Buddhism isn't a religion. So Marc could truthfully put "none", under "religion?".
  • Most online dating sites have you select your religion, as they usually consider it an important factor. But for social networking sites like facebook usually you can leave them blank or insert something neutral, but witty. That works too.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If you're doing online dating, or facebook, then they will ask you what your religion is. A lot of people who browse you are interested in that. I usually always put Agnostic. I feel the label of Agnostic is the most neutral one. If you use or say Buddhist, people who aren't aware of Buddhism will start putting all type of stereotypes to you. Buddhism isn't a western religion, so most westerners really don't know too much about it.
    The question now is: do you really want to be with someone who goes around stereotyping people? Or do you want someone with an open and spiritual mind? Putting Buddhism can function well to filter out the "riff-raff". :)

• DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited January 2011
    It's humorous that the issues discussed here largely have to do with language alone, and the perceptions formed from the language alone.

"How do you deal with the title or label of Buddhist?"

The more I practice, the less concern I have with labels.
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry if I'm repeating something said already, but here goes:

Labeling is reductive and crude thinking. When people do it (BTW we are all people ;) ) they are taking the easy way out.

We all get irritable, tired or..., ugh..., lazy from time to time so there will always be labels around.

Trick is to tolerate them among the people you are close to and care about and when the time is right (perhaps immediately) work to prove to them how bad labels are.

Irritable, tired or lazy - It's a form of suffering. You have to _help_ the label-maker!

• concept not label... 'don't believe in 'isms or 'ists
  • my religion on facebook is "what do I know?"
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited January 2011

The question now is: do you really want to be with someone who goes around stereotyping people? Or do you want someone with an open and spiritual mind? Putting Buddhism can function well to filter out the "riff-raff". :)

I agree that there can be some benefits to putting Buddhism on a dating site. But truthfully, by majority, if you do that and you're looking to attract a like minded female on those type of sites I would say it's like attracting a needle in a haystack lol. Females in their 20s who put Buddhist as their religion in my generation in particular, are extremely rare.

Basically anyone who does that is essentially being a rebel. Males tend to openly be rebels more than females. If you actually want results to actually go on dates, using something more neutral that westerners know better than Buddhism, will most likely give you more options. I think once rational people learn what Buddhism is like, then they tend to be cool with it. But when they see the label of something so different than what they know, they may stay away.

Even rational people label and stereotype all the time. It is just the way human minds work. It takes a lot of Buddhist-like brain washing (the good kind lol) to really try to see the good in people without being judgmental of things that are different than you.
  • edited January 2011
    Dating?! Oh..., Okay..., this is a "General Banter" discussion.

Here's my take on B. and dating.

On dating forms? I'm only going to say this once because it's kind of gross but I'm thinking you guys who are dating need all the help you can get. :D:D:D "Chicks" will dig "Buddhi$t." IOW, add a "$" instead of the "s" If you are going to emphasize the Buddhism emphasize your earning potential _and_ the Buddhism. They will like the idea that their date (or potential husband) can support them and won't beat on them.

Just saying "Buddhist" alone means money is not an issue which, for young people, reads: no means of $upport. Yes, this is crude, I apologize for sure, but dating scene is, from what I hear, a rough and tumble sorting process where a bit of non-hurtful, non-blatent-lie, near-proper misrepresentation can go a long way. :D

• I say I'm a Buddhist when asked, but that worries me because it's quite trendy to say you're Buddhist these days (it sort of goes with the New Age thing) and then people assume I'm into all sorts of other "alternative spirituality", which I'm not. They also make quite a lot of other negative assumptions about me, or assume I want to convert them.

Also I don't technically feel I am a Buddhist as I haven't taken refuge yet. I was planning to, but health problems got in the way and I wasn't up to it. Then I had a chat with my would-be teacher and I think we decided I wasn't ready. It'll happen when it happens. Meantime, I'm a sort of probationary Buddhist and he's my sort of teacher.

Ah well, its all delusion anyway ;)
  • edited January 2011
    I say I'm a Buddhist when asked
    Who asks? No one knows I'm a Buddhist except other Buddhists (whom I meet at teachings).

• The ball is so lovely there. Are they kicking the ball or kicks by the ball :-/ Buddha is omnipresent and Buddhist is its functionality of loving kindness, it is not separate but existed as a wholesome.
  • I say I'm a Buddhist when asked
    Who asks? No one knows I'm a Buddhist except other Buddhists (whom I meet at teachings).

Forms that ask your religion, for instance, or people who ask me if I'm religious. As I'm a philosophy student it isn't uncommon to be asked that.

Besides, it's not a secret - I've got nothing to hide and a lot of people are interested in Buddhism so ask me questions. I consider this to be service to the dharma and am happy to share what I know.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Beta:
    When they ask you if you're religious, what do you say? Yes, or no? or neither?
    (Back to the "Is Buddhism a Religion or a Philosophy" question.)

• When they ask you if you're religious, what do you say? Yes, or no? or neither?
    (Back to the "Is Buddhism a Religion or a Philosophy" question.)
    I usually answer the question they intend to ask, if they ask if I'm religious and reply "I suppose so. I'm a Buddhist".

They're not generally interested in pedantic discussions about whether Buddhism is a religion or not - it is generally considered to be so here in UK. And I wouldn't want to be rude or appear offish or superior just because I'm not an ordinary Christian or agnostic.

Quite often, people are much more interested in sharing their ideas with me than listening to me pontificate on Buddhism. Like today, a friend went on this almighty rant about the harm religion had done to the world - pausing to say "Not Buddhists though, of course" :)

• edited January 2011
    Another thing? Sometimes if I feel cornered (semi-kidding) I am certain to connect Buddha to Jesus.

I say the teachings of Buddha and Jesus (if you can find the teachings of Jesus) overlap quite well.

That "tactic" (sorry) connects me with those people who are obviously proud and apparently quite certain of and comfortable with their Christian faith.

• It doesn't have anything to do with pedantry, or rudeness, etc. If people ask me if I'm religious, I say "no". That's the end of the conversation. I don't consider Buddhism a religion, so that keeps it simple. I was just wondering what your view was.
  • It doesn't have anything to do with pedantry, or rudeness, etc. If people ask me if I'm religious, I say "no". That's the end of the conversation. I don't consider Buddhism a religion, so that keeps it simple. I was just wondering what your view was.
    I'm certain it is not your intention, but I know many people who would think you were being dishonest if you said no, and they subsequently discovered you were Buddhist. You may not consider Buddhism a religion, but you need to consider how your questioner regards it, otherwise they may feel you are being deliberately awkward and pedantic.