Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it ever skillful to enter a romantic relationship?

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Pretty self-explanatory question.

Comments

• LostieLostie Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Having a relationship (romantic or otherwise) is the best way to become skillful, I think, with so much hands-on learning opportunities.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    This old Buddhist has been married to a wonderful wife for going on twenty years now. Romantic doesn't begin to describe our several years of courtship way back when. To begin with, a lot of it ended up being conducted mostly through letters (long distance before internet and texting and such).

Skillful? Probably on her part. I suspect looking back on it, I didn't have a chance. She played me like a flute. And, I have never had a single regret. But that's just me. Your milage may vary.

Romance can certainly be a problem in your life. How many of our secular and spiritual leaders get tripped up by the urge to merge? But then, so can any part of a life.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I don't see why not, especially if it's a relationship based on things like trust and loving-kindness.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I remember a story about the Buddha at a wedding, he was saying marriage is a great thing (definetly not it those words). He went on to say that what's even better (or makes you happier) is a life dedicated to truth.
  • My question is, if we answered in the negative, would that change anything for you? I suspect (I would hope) that this is an issue over which you'll make your own decisions.
  • edited January 2011
    No. No Skill. Not skillful. Zero Skill. :rarr:

Too many ___intoxicants___ involved. Especially the body's most powerful debilitating intoxicant: hormones. :screwy:

Oxytocin, to be specific. Oxytocin reduces fear, increases eye contact, and increases trust and generosity. This love hormone causes people to act differently – though they don’t necessarily feel different. :coffee:

It's a trick Nature plays. Which part of Nature? The genes. :vimp:

The genes don't care about us, our lives, they ONLY care about recombining and replicating themselves. We are a by-product. Or at least we are just a PART of the process, whatever it is, but MOSTLY we exist for genetic material's drive to succeed! :aol:

No problem though. It's still fun to be alive (and make out!) as a human with romantic urges. It's fun and worthwhile to be low-hormone in the pasture too. :om:

:screwy: :D
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Being with someone draws out a lot of delusion that helps you become skillful. I got into a relationship with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. She's helped me see that attachment is unskillful, that nothing is ever going to be perfect, that it's important to do well in school. She also sees through all my bull which helps a lot. She's helped me align with reality. It's really tough going through all of your own shortcomings, but it's good when you have someone else who can call you out on them not to hurt you but to help you work on them.

So yeah, a relationship is skillful in my experience. :)
  • Ravkes, I think your example illustrates that a similar situation can be skillful or unskillful depending on the context. Also, even if something does turn out to be a mistake, in hindsight, we can still learn from it.
  • Why are nuns and monks not allowed to have a romantic relationship, if one can learn so much from it?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Because that's one of the vows they make. it's a form of discipline, to detach yourself from extraneous worldly pleasures, In a way, (as the Dalai lama once said) it's easier for an ordained person to follow a Buddhist path - so many regulations to keep them from unskillful acts! But laypeople - this is harder, more challenging, because we surround ourselves with so much attractive stuff!

This said, some schools of Buddhism allow monks to "un-ordain" and lead a lay life.Other traditions, like Zen, I believe, don't state that a monk cannot be married....
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Why are nuns and monks not allowed to have a romantic relationship, if one can learn so much from it?
    Because being a monastic means giving up a worldly life in order to pursue a spiritual one free from worldly concerns, expectations and obligations. It's just a different level of commitment some people are drawn to making.
  • edited January 2011
    Why are nuns and monks not allowed to have a romantic relationship, if one can learn so much from it?
    Because being a monastic means giving up a worldly life in order to pursue a spiritual one free from worldly concerns, expectations and obligations. It's just a different level of commitment certain people are drawn to making.
    Totally practical too. Would be a disgusting sex party in such close quarters if it weren't prohibited.

Nah..., just kidding..., trying to be funny..., :D but there's a teeny tiny grain of truth to it.

• Being with someone draws out a lot of delusion that helps you become skillful. I got into a relationship with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. She's helped me see that attachment is unskillful, that nothing is ever going to be perfect, that it's important to do well in school. She also sees through all my bull which helps a lot. She's helped me align with reality. It's really tough going through all of your own shortcomings, but it's good when you have someone else who can call you out on them not to hurt you but to help you work on them.

So yeah, a relationship is skillful in my experience. :)
    Ravkes, I think your example illustrates that a similar situation can be skillful or unskillful depending on the context. Also, even if something does turn out to be a mistake, in hindsight, we can still learn from it.
    Exactly. In hindsight everything can serve as a lesson. That doesn't make every action skillful. Besides, people don't go around looking for relationships to better themselves. If that were the case attraction would not be taken into consideration and one would just agree to be with the first girl we set our eyes upon, with the promise of MANY lessons in the future of the relationship.....
    My question is, if we answered in the negative, would that change anything for you? I suspect (I would hope) that this is an issue over which you'll make your own decisions.
    I'm not interested in the yes or no, so much as in the explanation. But no, I'm not one to take other people's advice lightly, no worries :)

I was just asking myself "what part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist'?" If there are are any skillful reasons to want to be in a relationship.

And more importantly what should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else.
  • It's a great way to practice levelheadedness, to be understanding and considerate. It's a good venue for practicing compassion too!

Too bad the females at my age are more interested in drinking and partying. Not that there's anything wrong in that... :D
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2011
    "And more importantly what should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else."

One should give up Buddhism and forget about Enlightenment.
  • Why are nuns and monks not allowed to have a romantic relationship, if one can learn so much from it?
    Because these rules came in after the time of the buddha, maybe?

Dharmic romance is a special thing, I think.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Monks and nuns have hundreds of rules including celibacy in order to limit distractions, so they can devote every moment of their lives to achieving Enlightenment and preserving the Dharma and supporting the Sangha. It's the same reason they shave their heads and dress alike. They're supposed to be focused on a life of meditation and service to the temple, not figuring out how to please a mother-in-law.

That's not to say attachments including romantic ones don't happen, both within the walls of the temple and through sneaking into town. People are people everywhere. Some monks are more devout than others. There are certainly gay monks, for that matter. And, monks are quite free to hand in their robes if they want to persue a romance and sometimes do so.

And, not every culture forbids monks from being married. People have a valid point when they say living the Dharma should involve a normal life, if it actually teaches us how to handle life's problems.
  • FWIW, my lama is married.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Based on Buddhist principles, the answer is probably "no".

Buddhism encourages human beings to guide their life using wise reflection rather than mere romantic (sexual) attraction.

Buddhism states intention based in mere lust is unskilful.

The first thing the Buddha recommended is two people be very honest about their life goals. The Buddha advised the first quality of a lasting relationship is sharing mutual or compatible goals.

If our romantic relationship is temporary, generally the result will be suffering for one or both people.

Kind regards

DD

:)

edited January 2011
    However, my general answer to this question is "yes".

If we cannot develop happiness via meditation then relationships can be skilful.

In Buddhism, many monks have disrobed and then established romantic relationships.

To support one's father and mother; to cherish one's wife and children, and to be engaged in peaceful occupations — this is the highest blessing.

Maha-mangala Sutta: Blessings

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.2.04.piya.html

• Then maybe you could try answering the last portion of my last post, please :) :

"I was just asking myself "what part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist'?" If there are are any skillful reasons to want to be in a relationship.

And more importantly what should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else."
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Well one can make it skillfull by remembering even such shall pass, Considering the needs of the other person above your own and so forth :)
  • Like with everything else, the answer probably depends on the person.
  • My girlfriend has indeed commented on my skilfulness hee hee!

Swriously though, to be successful in a romantic relationship takes great compassion, loving kindness and reflective practice!
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited January 2011
    My girlfriend has certainly helped me to grow tremendously over the past two years; it's not a well thought-out theory but I often feel that only by facing my worst urges, by staring my negative karmic potentials in the eye, will I learn to circumvent them with mindfulness in the future. Good friends also help in this way, though it's typical for people to become both more intimate and to face their destructive behavior more frequently in a long-term relationship than in even close friendships. Although, secular urges come in many forms, like gossip and such; so, at least, the urge to yell, to be close-minded, callous or un-forgiving and many other impulsive, negative traits often associated with romantic relationships find more time for practicing. Relationships also serve to help remove emotional barriers and to promote vulnerability and selflessness. That being said--the monastic life is still ideal.
  • Swriously though, to be successful in a romantic relationship takes great compassion, loving kindness and reflective practice!
    What is the middle word in compassion?

What remains when you take the the "you" and the "I" out of Budism?

I could go on... actually I couldn't, but if anyone else has any similar smutty word plays, I am all ears (spelt with two "R"s)!

:p
  • Will NO ONE directly address my questions in a more concrete way please?
  • If your so sure that nobody has, perhaps you know the answer already?

Chillax
  • I don't, but I've noticed that it's pretty common in this forum for people to not directly address people's questions, I don't think is very helpful. I know compassion and all that are important. But I'm talking about mindfulness and love. Concrete examples.

- what part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist?

- what should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else?

From a buddhist perspective of course.
  • >>>>>Epicurus>>>>>I don't, but I've noticed that it's pretty common in this forum for people to not directly address people's questions, I don't think is very helpful.

If you think that is unhelpful, that is nothing compared to when people dont finish sentences because

>>>>But I'm talking about mindfulness and love.

Mindfulness is an approach and practice, love is a connection.

>>>>>what should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else?

that would depend on the situation. if you hav been dating him for 3 years, probably tell him? If it your probation officer, proably not tell her.

>>>From a buddhist perspective of course.

There is no buddhist perspective, there is just dharma. Use dharma to answer your own questions, be your own light, and all that:)

edited January 2011
    That being said--the monastic life is still ideal.
    How do you know? Have you tried it? For some people, monastic life is hell on earth.

edited January 2011
    What part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist?

What should one do when one thinks one is in love with somebody else?
    Hi E

As I previously said, the Buddha advised an ideal partner shares the same life goals. Plus the same virtue, the same generosity/sacrifice & the same wisdom. The Buddha also said where one or both partners do not keep the five precepts then such a relationship will be problematic. So our mindfulness reflects on these qualities.

Regarding thinking one is in love with somebody else, Buddha taught this is unfaithfulness. The Buddha did not recommend unfaithfulness, well, at least in marriage. Leaving one person for another may hurt the other person. The Buddha did not recommend hurting others. This is why there is the precept of sexual misconduct, which encourages Buddhists to be very heedful, careful & reflective in relation to sexual matters.

So if we are still searching, so to speak, if we have not made any formal commitments and if we think a relationship we are in is a definite mistake then I suppose we must decide what is best for our well-being. Possibly it is best or realistic for us to start afresh. This, we must decide for ourselves. For this, we bear the responsibility.

The Buddha did not make rules about matters such as divorce. The Buddha just spoke alot about what are suitable partners for a person and about what are not suitable suitable partners. The Buddha spoke alot about what are skilful & nurturing qualities for relationships and what are unskilful & destructive qualities. The Buddha spoke extensively about both matters, in the same way he spoke extensively about what things are suffering and about what things are not suffering.

The Buddha also spoke about partners training or improving themselves for relationship. In one discourse, the Buddha said those living together in a household need to develop & possess four qualities, namely, honesty (sacca), training in self-improvement (dama), patience/endurance (kanti) and generosity/sacrifice (caga).

So, as a Budddhist, as I previously said, one does not make decisions exclusively on the basis of sexual or romantic attraction. Instead, one considers is the relationship the right relationship for the long term? One investigates whether both parties share sufficient mutual qualities.

As Buddhists, we definitely want to find lasting happiness in our lives. But, at the same time, we try to avoid creating a train wreck of suffering whilst doing so.

Instead of love being romantic love, as Buddhists, we try to upgrade our love to loving-kindness & compassion (metta-karuna). Metta is respecting another as a friend. Karuna is the wish to avoid/alleviate suffering.

Kind regards

DD

• edited January 2011

Too bad the females at my age are more interested in drinking and partying. Not that there's anything wrong in that... :D
    If you think the women at your age (whatever age that is) are more into drinking and partying, you're not looking in the right places. There are plenty of women at every age who aren't into that. Maybe you're not really interested in finding them.
  • - what part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist?
    One should be mindful of one's motives when considering entering into a relationship. If one's motives are selfish, the relationship won't work out and the other person will get hurt.
  • edited January 2011
    Because romantic relationships increase attachment. Also, not everyone's mindful enough to learn from such relationships; they just end up experiencing a lot of samsara and/or causing suffering for others. That's not what monks and nuns are supposed to be doing: causing suffering.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2011

- what part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a buddhist?
    To answer this question, we first need to know what we mean by "mindfulness." In the early Buddhist texts, "mindfulness" (Pali: sati) simply means "to keep something in mind" or to "recollect." As such, it's a neutral word. It's devoid of any real imperative outside of a specific context or without a particular purpose in mind. Simply daydreaming about something that happened to you at lunch yesterday is a form of mindfulness.

In the context of the Buddha's teaching, in which one is trying to free oneself from the cycle of rebirth, mindfulness is applied to three qualities: unsatisfactoriness (dukkha), impermanence (anicca), and not-self (anatta). In the Satipatthana Sutta, the Buddha suggest four objects in which to observe these qualities: the body, feelings, the mind, and thoughts. Contemplating how the body, feelings, mind and thoughts are impermanent, unsatisfactory and not representative of a lasting self is intended to make the practitioner disenchanted with worldly existence; as the sutta puts it, he gives up "craving and discontent with reference to this world."

So, onto your question: "What part mindfulness would play in deciding whether or not to enter a relationship for a Buddhist?" Because sati facilitates disenchantment with the world, it may make the urge to enter a relationship less intense. A lot of us come to relationships with a lot of hidden agendas: we want the other person to affirm our own desirability, to bolster our own self-concept as attractive, lovable, acceptable, etc. Because sati eases up our sense of worldly things (including body, emotions, thoughts and concepts, etc.) as something permanent, satisfying, and representative of a true self, such affirmation becomes less meaningful. Sati doesn't ultimately prescribe whether one should enter into a relationship or not. You can enter into it keeping in mind its impermanence, inherent unsatisfactoriness, and not-self nature of its rewards. Or you can forgo it.

Bringing us to your second question:

We now reach a crucial point: for modern-day practitioners, what does become a deciding factor in whether to pursue a relationship (or any behavior, really) is whether you accept the Buddha's worldview. Do you accept that we are ultimately trying to free ourselves from an endless cycle of rebirth? If so, relationships will only ensnare you in further becoming (bhava) and keep you trapped in samsara. Thus, they are unskillful in terms of freeing yourself from suffering.

If you do NOT accept this worldview, you're faced with deciding how to go about making use of this lifetime. We face infinite opportunities every day about what behaviors to pursue and what to avoid. In such a context, without the framework of the Buddha's worldview, you have quite a bit of freedom in deciding what parts of the teaching you feel are relevant to you. In such a context, "skillful" and "unskillful" become less meaningful as frames of reference in and of themselves. You will need to define what "skillful" entails specifically for you, e.g., what is it you value in this life? Do the potential benefits of being in a relationship (companionship, sexual gratification, stability, fun and pleasure, etc.) outweigh the potential costs (dependence, false pride, drama, grief down the road when the relationship ends or your partner dies, etc.)? All of life involves such trade-offs. In such a context, we can't subjugate our responsibility for deciding the direction of our lives to a cut-and-dry set of injunctions.
  • WOW! Good job, Glow!
  • I don't, but I've noticed that it's pretty common in this forum for people to not directly address people's questions, I don't think is very helpful. I know compassion and all that are important. But I'm talking about mindfulness and love. Concrete examples.

Really? The answers you've received so far include "Yes," "No," and "It depends." It's not an uncommon question, you know, to ask in one way or another if a romantic, sexual relationship is a hinderance to Enlightenment.

The short answer is, what sort of sorry religion would Buddhism be, if you could not apply its core teachings to every aspect of a normal human life? What sort of bogus religion would it be that claimed a universal truth, if its innermost teachings could not be penetrated by someone living a normal human life including having a love life?

The specific answer is:

It would be unskillful for a celebate monk/nun to enter into a romantic relationship because he or she is not being mindful of their vows.

For the others, romantic relationships are skillful both in choosing and execution if you keep in mind the four virtues which govern relationships:

The Four Virtues Conducive to Social Welfare 1. Generosity (Dana) 2. Kind Speech (Piyavaca) 3. Benevolence (Atthacaritya) 4. Adaptability (Samanattata)

Is this more what you're looking for?

• edited January 2011

I don't think it's a wholly willful individual act. No middle ground. You either offer yourself and get caught up in it or you make yourself unavailable. You only get one chance too. You also can cause great suffering. Buddhists aren't supposed to create more suffering. That coupled with the fact that the other person is also an active contributor to what's happening. How do you "decide" anything about that?

I gotta blame the unique difficulties on hormones and "conspiracy" (meaning two hormone-intoxicated people are involved -it gets a life of it's own far larger one person 1+1=11 ). There's very little "mindfulness" or "deciding" involved. Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny.

Looking back on how I fell in love those times: nothing would have stopped it from unfolding the way it did. I speculate now but I couldn't have stopped it and therefore no control or mindfulness - got that way like a bomb going off: one moment it's one way next moment it's another way; no going back.

Maybe that helps a bit? I dunno. Good luck!

• was my post in this thread just censored?
  • edited January 2011
    Censorship does happen; the administrators remove comments they feel are offensive or combative.

Roger, I think there's a point when one is getting to know another, before hormones kick in, when one can rationally decide whether or not to pursue the liaison. One can weigh the many factors involved, and decide whether or not to walk away before getting too involved.
  • edited January 2011

Roger, I think there's a point when one is getting to know another, before hormones kick in, when one can rationally decide whether or not to pursue the liaison. One can weigh the many factors involved, and decide whether or not to walk away before getting too involved.
    Yes. Check. Interesting. Thanks c_w. :) What's funny? Thinking about this I realized (again) that I never "put the moves" on. Women in my past put the moves on me. Decision process on my part was very easy LOL. Geez. That's BAD! :banghead: That can't be good for the question at hand. So, Epicurus, forget everything I said (except any of the parts which might have given you a chuckle)!

• edited January 2011
    My fiancee and I were friends long before we were ever involved in any way. However, I'm sure its pretty obvious that prior relationships didn't quite work out as well. I completely understand where Roger is coming from about how sometimes hormones can impede any sort of mindfulness. Hormones can lead to all kinds of desires and clinging, but then again that's kind of the whole point of a relationship.

In some Buddhist countries, some people become temporary monks or nuns. There was this Lao/Thai temple in a town I lived in while going to middle and high school. During some school breaks, kids could take a temporary ordination as a samanera. I think after being a samanera for a while one could consider full ordination as a bhikkhu. Even if they eventually got married, they could return to the monastery provided that they secure permission from their significant others before ordaining.
  • edited January 2011

Yes. Check. Interesting. Thanks c_w. :) What's funny? Thinking about this I realized (again) that I never "put the moves" on. Women in my past put the moves on me. Decision process on my part was very easy LOL. Geez. That's BAD! :banghead: That can't be good for the question at hand. So, Epicurus, forget everything I said (except any of the parts which might have given you a chuckle)!
    It's not a bad idea to wait until the woman gives signals.

I can't help noticing, you like head-banging, Roger. ;)

• Too bad the females at my age are more interested in drinking and partying. Not that there's anything wrong in that... :D
    If you think the women at your age (whatever age that is) are more into drinking and partying, you're not looking in the right places. There are plenty of women at every age who aren't into that. Maybe you're not really interested in finding them.
    Didn't mean to generalize. I'm just saying there's a higher chance that I would meet an outgoing/partygoer female than a down-to-earth chick, at the age of 18. :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    was my post in this thread just censored?
    No, it was deleted. If I'd wanted to censor anything, it's possible you wouldn't even be here by now. But here - you are.....;)
    Censorship does happen; the administrators remove comments they feel are offensive or combative.
    or just pointless, unnecessary and frankly adding nothing to the discussion. Ask Pietro. Much of what he posts, remains. Some of what he posts is completely useless, redundant and utterly irrelevant.
    You won't find many of his posts (like that) on here, because they will have been removed for being completely Off-topic and non-contributory.

TO EVERYONE:
    Please consider whether your posts are actually relevant to topic and do constructively contribute a valid, pertinent and appropriate PoV to the thread.
    Thanks, all. :)

• edited January 2011
    Didn't mean to generalize. I'm just saying there's a higher chance that I would meet an outgoing/partygoer female than a down-to-earth chick, at the age of 18. :D
    Sorry, Pilot, but I didn't know any women who were into partying and drinking at 18. Even now the university-age women I know aren't into it. Maybe you just aren't attracted to quiet, thoughtful or creative types. Maybe you overlook them.

• edited January 2011

I can't help noticing, you like head-banging, Roger. ;)
    Yup! Not trying to boost my ego by telling you guys how interesting I am :D but:

"I'm sorry" is my mantra. I Do not WANT to be wrong but when I am I get some pleasure admitting that I am wrong.

It's a relief and a recognition that I got over what was obscuring my view.

Banghead is a way to wake up! "I could have had a V-8!"

LOL. Works for me. I'm not recommending it for everybody. By prescription only. LOL

FWIW. No big deal.

I'm very sorry! :D

• Didn't mean to generalize. I'm just saying there's a higher chance that I would meet an outgoing/partygoer female than a down-to-earth chick, at the age of 18. :D
    Sorry, Pilot, but I didn't know any women who were into partying and drinking at 18. Even now the university-age women I know aren't into it. Maybe you just aren't attracted to quiet, thoughtful or creative types. Maybe you overlook them.

Seriously? May I inquire where you were at eighteen? I'm twenty-three and went to a large university for a year. From my experience in high school, college and afterwards from many spots I've lived in Indiana, Michigan and Arizona of the United States it seems that the better half of the youth drinks and a fair percent of those aren't afraid to expand their horizons. While the religious pluralities shun drugs it seems the majority of the secular youth do, in fact, enjoy drinking at the least. Of course, things change with age and wisdom.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    RE: Mindfullness--if you go into a relationship because of neediness, meaning you want the other person to complete you, or cheer you up, or to provide something you're lacking, it won't work in the end. So mindfullness of one's needs and shortcomings is important. Some people need to get therapy before they can skillfully enter into a relationship.

Vaois, Pilot, et al.: I think if you don't want to meet women/people who are into drinking and partying, don't go to parties. Join a science club, a hiking or other outdoor recreation group, or hobby group, a book club, whatever. None of my friends in high school or college were into partying or drinking.Only one was religious. Most of my friends still aren't into that. Partying/drinking = BO-RING! (we need a "snooze" emoticon.) Pardon my frankness.