Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are we being deceptive online?

edited January 2011 in Philosophy
Hello friends,
I was thinking this: Is there a danger with online Buddhist discussion sites, like newbuddhist.com, that we are tempted to portray ourselves as far better than we actually are?

Is it that we can come on here and practice being more spiritual and encourage one-another to deeper practice; or is it really that we come on here, use all the 'right' language and make our we're on the cusp of being the next Buddha?

It's a dilemma for me. I know I'm a pretty ropey Buddhist in real life, although I try. However, when I'm online, I try hard to use Right Speech, to consider others, to act with genuine compassion. It is easier for me to type stuff - I've always been better written-down than face-to-face. But should I be concerned that in doing so, I might come across as far wiser and 'sorted' than I really am? After all, if I'm grumpy or depressed, I tend to avoid the Internet and if someone winds me up, its my policy to ignore them or block them.

Having been a former fundamentalist Christian, I am deeply concerned about hypocrisy. I want very much to be authentic, in everyday life and online. My teacher (would-be teacher as I haven't taken refuge yet) encourages me that this is correct, as it is how he lives his life: open, humble and good humoured.

If we are better online because the nature of the medium is that it is easier to be careful, that's surely a good thing. And as many of us are isolated from chatting to other Buddhists in everyday life, even if we belong to nice sanghas, perhaps we take the rare opportunity to talk "technical" with one another, which could also be a good thing. But isn't there also a temptation to fake-it online?

What sparked this concern in me was a discussion about meditation. I was very interested in the discussion but initially I hesitated to be honest about my own practice because I thought it would sound bad. Meditation is probably the area of dharma that I struggle with most, which is probably not unusual for a Westerner.

I had a similar problem with a debate about the Precepts, as I don't feel I do too well on that score either. Should I be honest about being a bad Buddhist, or should I keep it to myself so as not to discourage newbies? Or in avoiding the issue, am I in danger of giving a newbie the impression I make HH Dalai Lama look bad? ;)

This is not intended as an accusation or criticism of any individuals, but does going online encourage us to hypocrisy? Or do we just accept that communication is always imperfect, especially that involving the Internet?

Comments

• Easier said than done, ey?

I don't think it encourages hypocrisy though, it just makes it obvious and gives something to work on. I know I am not perfect and I don't for a second pretend otherwise.
  • I don't know about you, but when I give advice to someone, I take myself completely out of the equation and give that person the best advice possible irrespective of whether I do that or not. And that doesn't make me feel like a hypocrite.

And believe you men, hypocrisy irritates me more than selfishness and a bunch of other stuff....

As for being honest about how you are , I think you always should of course. If a newbie is discouraged because you were honest then tough luck. It's not your responsibility. Everyone is responsible for themselves
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    'try to give the best advice (or "wake up call") possible, given my current level of understanding.

'feel... my responsability is more (than the responsability in giving best advice... of a samsåraputra / children of suffering).
  • I don't have this issue because in real life I am much better (level 20) than I am here.
  • If someone asks my opinion, I feel obligated to give them the best advice that I can. How I feel about it personally is not important. I dislike phony behavior. I feel that it is another form of deception. I try not to offend, but I'm sure that I'm not the most popular person around. I've notice that people like the phonies because they tell them what they want to hear. I believe this is due to confirmation bias. If you question the group think- they can get hostile.

Here's a quote from Andre Gide,(French writer, humanist and moralist, 1947 Nobel prize for literature winner)

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.”
  • “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.”
    That's great.
  • edited January 2011
    IMO, Middle Path:

Read other people's posts more than you write your own posts.

Ask if what you write is speculation and theory or actually learned, known and understood from something you actually experienced and practiced. (IOW, You can talk at length about Brazil without ever visiting there).

You should be engaged in trying to learn from this website much more than you are "teaching."

BTW, "you" as used above is not referring to anybody in particular!! Seriously. I'm just thinking about the issue trying to be helpful. :)
  • Are people really that narcicistic that they would be calculating how to make themselves look good as they write a response? Who has the energy and presence of mind for that? I think if that were happening on a large scale, we wouldn't have all the complaints about rudeness and anger that have cropped up in the last week or two.
  • @Dakini Good point.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i know exactly what you mean beta. sometimes, i find myself ashamed of things i have done or said when i am attempting to give advice and i do wonder if i'm being a hypocrite. but you know, at least the feeling of shame is making me aware of an aspect of myself that i can work on. i don't pretend to be some super awesome buddhist, i'm really just trying to figure out my path, not only on my own, but with the help of many people (especially those on this board). and i know others are doing the same. sometimes you don't know what will resonate with another person, but you can at least try to give advice and hope it does. and just because your life doesn't mirror the advice you are giving doesn't mean it isn't still good advice. sometimes you can't give advice until you've made the mistake yourself :)

i try to think about not where i'm at right now, but how far i have come. there was a time less than a year ago when my best friend and girlfriend both sat me down and told me i was basically horribly self absorbed (beyond what is considered normal, that is). it basically shattered my perception of myself (i thought i was a good buddhist, lmao)... but in a good way. based upon that experience, i have been dealing with my issues of criticism and i HOPE others expose any hypocrisies or wrong views i might hold. i truly had no idea that i was such a jerk until i was told, so i don't censor myself. i say what i think and if i'm wrong, i trust others to tell me so. i think it shows respect to be honest with others when you disagree with them.

and since we're being honest here, i am horrible with meditating as well. my practice fluctuates something fierce. sometimes i am great and stable, sometimes i won't do it for weeks.. or months.. still trying to correct this one. the best i can figure is that my life is completely unstable (i sleep random hours because of working two jobs, one is 1st shift, one is nearly 3rd shift), why would i expect my practice to be? so i'm currently trying to fix that problem and hoping my practice will follow suit.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Is a hypocrite this: someone who pays attention to the crimes or misdeeds or bad things another person has done but refuses to look at his own? That's what I heard it explained as or is it something different?
  • edited January 2011
    That's what a hypocrite is, I think: Someone who condemns others for certain behaviors but he/she engages in that same behavior himself/herself.

Back to the OP: Are we being deceptive online? Mostly, everyone who post in this forum don't come out as being deceptive, although they could be holding back something they would rather not share; like not telling the full story. But sometimes, when people posted about their level of meditation or experiences of insight into the real nature of things, for example, I did have a little bit of doubt about their claim. But I try to let go of such doubts because I'm not in a position to judge others. There's no reason why they can't reach such stages on the path. As for me, being a long time sufferer of anxiety and depression, my reaction to certain occasions or situations can be quite unskillful indeed, but I am continuouly making the effort to be mindfull. So, I too could be preaching one thing and practicing another thing, sometimes. I plead guilty! :D
  • @zombiegirl I didn't mean so much telling people to do stuff I don't do - I do think it is unacceptable to do that. At least, not without explaining "I don't do this but I know we should".

I mean somewhat more subtle than that: appearing to be a much calmer, kinder and 'together' person than we really are, by for instance, only posting when we're in a good mood. So with me, usually posting when I'm in a good mood, I might give the impression that I'm always cheerful and full of compassion when in real life (for example) I might be a moany ratbag! (although I hope I'm not).

I tend not to tell people to do stuff I don't do, my concern is more about how we appear rather than what we say.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @zombiegirl I didn't mean so much telling people to do stuff I don't do - I do think it is unacceptable to do that. At least, not without explaining "I don't do this but I know we should".

I mean somewhat more subtle than that: appearing to be a much calmer, kinder and 'together' person than we really are, by for instance, only posting when we're in a good mood. So with me, usually posting when I'm in a good mood, I might give the impression that I'm always cheerful and full of compassion when in real life (for example) I might be a moany ratbag! (although I hope I'm not).

I tend not to tell people to do stuff I don't do, my concern is more about how we appear rather than what we say.
    oh, well in that case. i definitely do that lol. let's just say that irl, i frequently have "foot in mouth" moments because i have this habit of not thinking too much before talking, but naturally, when writing i am much more controlled. i don't mean that i'm always saying rude things that come to mind btw, i just mean i have a tendency to phrase things in odd ways (albeit, sometimes humorous).

i don't really think this is a bad thing though. it's just the way it goes...
  • @zombiegirl I also have foot-in-mouth syndrome, but I seem to be getting better as I get older. Some advantages to wrinkles, you see!
  • We may be deceptive. It's part of the learnng process.
  • We deceive ourselves first and foremost. This is where the practice comes in, because belief systems are useless.
  • Beta, I think your original posting makes a very valid point. I don't think it's deception though, more debating topics where our negative sides don't come out.

To clear things up from me though, here is why I'm a rubbish Buddhist in many ways:
    - I hardly meditate
    - I swear too much
    - I have a dirty mind
    - I struggle to be compassionate with my family.....I have disowned them even though I know this causes suffering
    - I flirt with a girl in my Sangha as I think she's buff and really sweet, even though I have a girlfriend who I love

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nice set of precepts you're playing squash with there, Spock.....!
    Tell you what, when I can improve on your performance - I'll let you know. ;)
  • I'm struggling with your riddle Federica......
    :)
  • edited January 2011
    The only deception allowed here should be the type the deceiver her/himself can't detect.

Chances are when someone gets miffed that's good hint that they are deceiving themselves.

Just something I made up. Ouch my brain hurts :D

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm struggling with your riddle Federica......
    :)
    I criticised you but had no right as I am just as bad if not worse.
    Sorry, I can be cryptic, it seems!
  • I can't say it any better than this wonderful posting from a dharma student studying in Nepal right now:

http://icantcomeupwithawittyblogtitle.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-practice-buddhism-without-being.html

I think the sentiment of this post is spot on.
  • Spot on for whom? The "in-crowd" dharmaheads in Katmandu? I still don't understand what this thread is about. I've never noticed anyone here somehow "faking" enlightenment, or "goodness" or whatever.

?!?
  • We may be deceptive. It's part of the learnng process.
    I have no idea what this means.

Beta, you scare me. If you put on one persona when you're online, but are a different person offline, that sort of scares me. Why not relax and be yourself consistently, everywhere? It's a lot easier. One thing I've noticed about the dominant society in the US is that a lot of people aren't very genuine. They seem to hide behind a facade. Sometimes they're hiding from themselves, even; from their own demons, so it's hard to get to know people very deeply. I wouldn't say that about most people here, though. I don't think the OP's concern applies to most (if any) people here.
  • Spot on for whom? The "in-crowd" dharmaheads in Katmandu? I still don't understand what this thread is about. I've never noticed anyone here somehow "faking" enlightenment, or "goodness" or whatever.

?!?
    OK, just some simple examples, just for illustration, we might imply that we meditate a lot when we do no such thing. Or that we're widely read, when we've just read a few articles online. Or that we're always calm and wonderful to everyone around us and never a cross word passes our lips.

Such behaviour could be seen and hypocritical. However, it has also been suggested that the fact we may behave better online than in real life is a good thing. It shows that we are using the slower medium of typing to really think about what we are saying.

As for people faking it, there probably isn't anyone on here doing that to any extreme; but then again, if they were good at it, we wouldn't know they were faking, would we? ;)

This all started because I was wondering about my own motives, incidentally, not as an accusation to the forum.
  • @Dakini I can assure you I never deliberately put on a front online, or anywhere else. If anything, I tend to over-disclose. I do worry about sincerity, but people who have met me in real life say I'm pretty similar online. I'm just better at communicating by typing.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    It creeps me out that someone would try to give a false impression online, pretending to be well-read, well-meditated, or pretending to be anything. Sorry. On the other hand, it may be that some people inadvertently give the impression they meditate a lot, or something, but how twisted would someone have to be to want to show off some sort of fake level of achievement to a bunch of strangers?

Since you bring it up, full disclosure: I don't meditate regularly, and I've never said anything about meditation. I think I'm pretty much WYSIWYG. If someone's post confuses me, I say so. If someone's post annoys me, you'll notice. (Rude posts bug me.)

I take everyone here at face value; it wouldn't occur to me to imagine there are secret pretenses going on. I can't relate to the mindset that would even suspect that, let alone do it.

You seem like a sincere guy; that's good enough for me. :) And you seem to be trying to do the Right Thing with your self-examination. Don't over-worry it.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I am deeply concerned about hypocrisy

Beta -- Good for you and welcome to the club. :)

Patience, courage and doubt are something we all use as best we may in practice. But it is the practice that tells the tale -- day after day, week after week, year after year. Practice -- and perhaps especially meditation practice -- nourishes experience and experience trumps any spiritual persuasion, however persuasive it may be.

Are we truthful? Sure -- repeat that. Are we hypocrites? Sure -- correct that. Buddhism is not a threat-based occupation: You won't go to heaven if you get it right and you won't go to hell if you get it wrong. It is simply a practice that accords with the facts of life ... not simply what is written in a book.

When there is failure, we practice. When there is success, we practice. In this way, we grow strong and assured.

Take your time. You're doing fine.

• You seem like a sincere guy; that's good enough for me. :) And you seem to be trying to do the Right Thing with your self-examination. Don't over-worry it.
    Not a major point at all, but ironic given the context of our discussion about how we appear online: I'm not a guy, I'm a girl! LOL
  • We are always putting our best foot forward online as well as offline. When we court a partner, when we interview for a job, when we meet someone new. This is of course hypocritical in a sense, but in an innocent way. I think that it is a given that the way people present themselves online are with different personas than they present in person.

The narrative voice used in writing is much different than the spoken one. Like the famous Internet meme "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog", people tend to be far more contentious online than they are in person. They also often put on airs of greater learning than they possess. I don't think it matters though. I screen out a certain amount of this stuff when I am reading the same way I screen out the superlatives in a resume or the self-promotion of someone I am interviewing for a job.

If a conversation doesn't devolve into mere demagoguery, there is something delightfully democratic about the written medium that allows the ideas themselves to be front and center. The personalities behind them aren't so important, except in the way that the link I posted earlier on so eloquently sums: people take themselves way too goddamn seriously. Dharma practitioners are definitely worse in this respect than most ordinary people. Such a strange paradox.
    We are always putting our best foot forward online as well as offline. When we court a partner, when we interview for a job, when we meet someone new. This is of course hypocritical in a sense, but in an innocent way. I think that it is a given that the way people present themselves online are with different personas than they present in person.

The narrative voice used in writing is much different than the spoken one. Like the famous Internet meme "On the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog", people tend to be far more contentious online than they are in person. They also often put on airs of greater learning than they possess. I don't think it matters though. I screen out a certain amount of this stuff when I am reading the same way I screen out the superlatives in a resume or the self-promotion of someone I am interviewing for a job.

If a conversation doesn't devolve into mere demagoguery, there is something delightfully democratic about the written medium that allows the ideas themselves to be front and center. The personalities behind them aren't so important, except in the way that the link I posted earlier on so eloquently sums: people take themselves way too goddamn seriously. Dharma practitioners are definitely worse in this respect than most ordinary people. Such a strange paradox.
    i think this post hit the nail on the head. it's not about LYING, it's about "putting your best foot forward" very well said. :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited January 2011
    My feet are both equal. One's as bad as the other. :)

Well, okay, that's not entirely true. The right one is a tiny bit bigger than the left one.
  • haha! Nice to meet you, Beta--it's easy to make that mistake on here. :lol: