Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

want to be a monk

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Ello, I'm a senior in highschool and I've decided that the only path I want to pursue is the monastic path. I've spent the last 3 years of my life as a Buddhist and in the last three months I've lived as a monk without a monastery. I've been practicing the 8 precepts strictly, meditating alot, reading suttas, all that fun stuff. And I want to take it to the next level. I'm most interested in Theravada and particularly the forest tradition. So I came to ask, how do I become a monk and what should I do before becoming a monk, I think I will probably go to college first. If anyone here is/was a monastic, or just has experience with that stuff, help me out please :)

Comments

• Patience young one, patience :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I wish I could be a monk of some sort... but I cannot follow celibacy.
  • anything you give up slowly gets easier and easier. i had a hard time with not eating dinner but now it doesn't really bother me.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    No, I'm already committed and I'm not willing to give it up.
  • I wish I could be a monk of some sort... but I cannot follow celibacy.
    some Zen Buddhist monks don't follow that... dogma. And they even have jobs!

--
    happy Urban Buddhist Monk,
    SG Vincenzi
  • ...develop the parami (perfection) of nekkhama (the pleasure of renunciation).
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Simple. Find a Theravada monastery and enquire about ordaining. I recommend checking out Wat Metta and Abhayagiri, both in Thai Forest tradition.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    eat dinner, 3 meals a day is healthy for you.
  • Maybe, you should go to college first. Perhaps, you would change your mind.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Where do you live? I found a monastery/hermitage/retreat center in Ontario which is of the Thai forest tradition, it's great. Perhaps you could talk to the monk there.

Not a big chance you live close to there though.

If I had to pick a tradition to be ordained under it would be the forest tradition too.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I'm most interested in Theravada and particularly the forest tradition. So I came to ask, how do I become a monk and what should I do before becoming a monk, I think I will probably go to college first.
    Welcome Arahant

Nothing in particular needs to be done before becoming a monk, apart from obtaining your parent's permission.

However, if you are very serious about becoming a monk then obtaining a college degree can be good in terms of mere 'image'. For Western monks, who often have a high profile, to be educated looks good.

I can only recommend you contact a forest monastery and ask your questions there:

http://www.forestsangha.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=10&Itemid=9

Regards

DD

:)

• anyone?
    Hi there.I am in agreement with some of the other replies you have had,perhaps get some more education under your belt.While the monastic life is indeed a worthy one(I guess I would say that)not everyone finds it to their liking and after some time disrobe.We all know how important education is these days,and if you do not remain a monk,getting a job may get real hard.Google will help you find the closest forest temple to you.Basically all you need to ordain is your parents permission and to be debt free.There are a few other things,like not being a leper,but I'm guessing this is not a problem.
    With metta,
    Phra Greg
  • @Arahahahant,

I, too, decide to go for ordination when I was a teenager. I became a novice after university and a year as a teacher. I lasted for a few months and then left.

There is no advice that I can give you. All I can say is that I still carry scars, although they itch less often now. It took me a long time to understand the effect on me of taking two euql and opposite and equally sincere decisions.

Be very sure, my friend.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I think I will probably go to college first.

Good thinking.
  • I thought i wanted to be a monk too. I was extremely serious about it. I was ready to work 12 hour days and spend the rest of the day meditating, I was ready to give up all modern comforts, blah blah.

The only thing that changed my mind was my awakening. How much of a fool I was to think that the only path to enlightenment was through being a monk and denying my current life.

If your main reason why you want to become a monk is to attain enlightenment, let me stress to you as much as I can that you can do this on your own; you don't need a teacher, a monastery, or to even change your life much at all. Just encompass your daily life with spiritual books, meditate on truth, keep a journal to just vomit out thoughts and help your brain work through it, and just honestly give it your best effort... it'll happen.

With that said, regardless you should go to college first, you can make your choice afterwards.... better to make a huge life choice at 22 than 18 I'd say.
  • Sadhu to you for your plan to join monkhood. I'd suggest you go for a meditation retreat & get ordained as a novice (samanera) for a short period of time to find out more about monk's life. As a samanera, you are required to keep the compulsory 10 precepts (227 precepts for bhikkhu). From my experience, ordaining under the right teacher\preceptor and staying in a spiritual community that emphasize on dhamma-vinaya practice helps a lot in uplifting one's faith, understanding & realization in the Dhamma. It also helps to avoid many pitfalls in the spiritual path. Currently there's a retreat conducted by Ven. U Revata. For details, see:
    http://hadayavatthufoundation.blogspot.com/2010/11/samatha-vipassana-meditation-retreat.html

with metta,
    SL
  • edited January 2011
    thanks for the responses guys, I think I will go to college first but I'm not worried at all about not liking monastic life. Something about it is just irresistible to me. I just feel like there is no other option. As for the guy claiming enlightenment, I'm sorry but I just don't believe you at all.

I'll spend the next four years mastering the suttas, probably taking Thai and psychology, meditating, continuing with 8 precepts, that will be funny at a U.S. college. What other classes do you guys think would be useful?

I don't mean what would be required, just what would help
  • (...)
    However, if you are very serious about becoming a monk then obtaining a college degree can be good in terms of mere 'image'. For Western monks, who often have a high profile, to be educated looks good.
    (...)
    There's a french Tibetan Monk that studied some science and then became a monk... I think it was neuroscience, but either way... he has helped with neuroscientific* studies in meditation.

*neuroscience is good, psychology is fine (but the Dharma is better to end dukkha - suffering)... but psychiatry is a hocus pocus generator of dukkha.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hi sorry in advance , I belief Buddha and monk should not be associated . Yes I admit and respect monk contribution in spreading Buddism but we maybe hv to admit that monk is Siddharta's local culture and associate Buddha with asking for food , asking for contribution , associate Buddha with martial art like sholin kungfu , associate Buddha with the teaching of Monk claim to be " Master", associate Buddha with local culture like offering food to Siddharta , praying to Siddharta statues , chantting or pray IS ALL NOT RELATED TO BUDDHA .
  • edited January 2011
    yea, I figure I'll study that and some useful languages.

CSEe, I'm sorry but I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Kungfu has nothing to do with Buddhism, Buddha himself asked for alms, and you don't pray to Buddha just respect him. I think your knowledge of monastic life comes from movies and your knowledge of Buddhism comes from... actually I have no idea what that could be from.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hi Arahahant , my purpose here is to learn Buddha by discussion since I cant share it with my family / friend since what they care is only money . I hope I could discuss with you more .... pls lets share
  • Before you discuss it you should read some stuff and learn about it probably.
  • CSEeCSEe Veteran
    Hi Arahahant , I always belief learning Buddha is easy , we could learn from watching the nature , by looking at animal and by discussion and share awareness . If hard or boring then it must be wrong... pls Sir dont ask me to read any books ok .....I found it too hard to learn . If you dont mine can we
    disccuss? my views seems rude but frankly I am very sincere . Since age 10 I fear death to max .... I even shouted to ease my fear but more and more I know abt Buddha frm my on perception , I became more stable but still not confident enough to face my coffin .... I really wanted to know Buddha and prepare for my death .
  • Ok I can barely even understand you
  • This may sound strange but study Buddhism and practice Buddhism before trying to be ordained. Make sure you know what Buddhism is all about. I am in the same position as you OP, and just as attracted to Thai Forest tradition also. However my approach is to study this rich philosophy in detail, and to acquire working knowledge of Pali, before even thinking about being ordained. You should do a couple of retreats at your preferred monastery too. Normally there is a long process of novitiate before someone is allowed to be admitted. It is bad to rashly make a decision like this, before having in depth knowledge of Buddhism.
  • Where did you get the idea that I don't know Buddhism?
  • Buddhism is a very advanced philosophy that people spend their whole lives studying, learning and researching. You said you're a high-school student. How much Pali do you know, given then you're interested in Theravada? Do you know the history of Buddhism? How familiar are you with Abhidharma? As you've already spent 3 months living as a monk, the preceptor of the monastery is your best recourse for advice as to whether this is a right course of action for you. However to be honest, I am impressed you have noble ambitions and some knowledge of Buddhism (although you know best what your level of knowledge is) but when you do this thing, there should not be any doubt in you at all. Don't bother if you're going to be preoccupied with things like losing virginity, missing the chance to go to university, not having children, etc. It's a big decision.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Arahahahant, I think CSEe is semi-bilingual.
  • edited January 2011
    Ncryptx, I've spent almost every day of the last three years reading about Buddhism, a lot of that in the Tripitaka, sure it's not a lifetime, but I don't think you've spent a lifetime either, your still alive.
  • I wouldn't go to college first. Go do what you want to do. Too much emphasis on college. Everybody goes gets a degree and fights for the same jobs. Unless you want to be a doctor or lawyer I say its pointless. I didn't go to college and instead of being 100k in debt I was +100k. Used it for investments life worked out great. I just see so many people who go because thats the 'thing' to do. Then they have no idea what life is about. They don't know what they want to do. They end up getting a pointless degree. Come out just as clueless as when they went in. I'm all for experiencing the world first. Try being a monk. If that doesn't work go to school. Imagine what a waiste of time and money college will be if you spend your life in a monestary.

I would get out of America if your serious. Its more of a newly packaged buddism to help fit in. Soon you will probably have drive through enlightment certificate businesses.
  • My family is wealthy enough that I could go to college then become a monk. I think I'll learn Thai, maybe Pali, psychology then head to Thailand.
  • edited January 2011
    ^Thanks for letting us know your plans. Where do you think I have been studying Pali and Buddhism? At high school? You might accept well-intentioned advice in the spirit in which it was intended in the future. A better attitude than the kind you've manifested in this thread will be ESSENTIAL out there in Thailand. Take care.
  • Hi sorry in advance , I belief Buddha and monk should not be associated . Yes I admit and respect monk contribution in spreading Buddism but we maybe hv to admit that monk is Siddharta's local culture and associate Buddha with asking for food , asking for contribution , associate Buddha with martial art like sholin kungfu , associate Buddha with the teaching of Monk claim to be " Master", associate Buddha with local culture like offering food to Siddharta , praying to Siddharta statues , chantting or pray IS ALL NOT RELATED TO BUDDHA .
    Shayamuni was not, is not, and will not be the only Buddha...
  • Ncryptx, I've spent almost every day of the last three years reading about Buddhism, a lot of that in the Tripitaka, sure it's not a lifetime, but I don't think you've spent a lifetime either, your still alive.
    'have spent around 143 years learning about the Dharma... your username reveals your lack of understanding for anatta.
  • Hi Arahahant , I always belief learning Buddha is easy , we could learn from watching the nature , by looking at animal and by discussion and share awareness . If hard or boring then it must be wrong... pls Sir dont ask me to read any books ok .....I found it too hard to learn . If you dont mine can we
    disccuss? my views seems rude but frankly I am very sincere . Since age 10 I fear death to max .... I even shouted to ease my fear but more and more I know abt Buddha frm my on perception , I became more stable but still not confident enough to face my coffin .... I really wanted to know Buddha and prepare for my death .
    what's your favorite school of Buddhism?
    what other languages do you know beside english?
  • ^Thanks for letting us know your plans. Where do you think I have been studying Pali and Buddhism? At high school? You might accept well-intentioned advice in the spirit in which it was intended in the future. A better attitude than the kind you've manifested in this thread will be ESSENTIAL out there in Thailand. Take care.
    ok, sorry it's just that I didn't really want the whole "your to young to decide things" junk :|

But no, you're right, it's a big decision, thank you for your advice, I will continue with my studying of Buddhism.
  • edited January 2011
    'have spent around 143 years learning about the Dharma... your username reveals your lack of understanding for anatta.
    His username is an obvious pun: ara HA HA hant.

So who is lacking what now?
  • edited January 2011
    Ncryptx, I've spent almost every day of the last three years reading about Buddhism, a lot of that in the Tripitaka, sure it's not a lifetime, but I don't think you've spent a lifetime either, your still alive.
    My user name is a joke. Thank you for telling me how awesome you are though.

I mean seriously, I wasn't even speaking to you and you come in and try to insult me and tell me how attained you are all in one breath :|
  • My family is wealthy enough that I could go to college then become a monk. I think I'll learn Thai, maybe Pali, psychology then head to Thailand.
    do you know what nekkhamma* is? the paramitas*?

*left untranslated, because it should be a common-enough concept by now.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, the paramitas are the 10 perfections nekkhama is renunciation, i forget which number it is

are you implying I'm not striving for renunciation? Education isn't something to be renounced
  • Ncryptx, I've spent almost every day of the last three years reading about Buddhism, a lot of that in the Tripitaka, sure it's not a lifetime, but I don't think you've spent a lifetime either, your still alive.
    My user name is a joke. Thank you for telling me how awesome you are though.

I mean seriously, I wasn't even speaking to you and you come in and try to insult me and tell me how attained you are all in one breath :|
    count of words:
    my: 1
    me: 3
    you: 5
    I: 2

part of the "me generation"... just guess'ing

stop insulting CSEe (and not fully english-speakers) wisdom,
    stop thinking how wealthy your family is,
    start quoting some basic Dharma,
    and THEN become a monk.
  • Yes, the paramitas are the 10 perfections nekkhama is renunciation, i forget which number it is

are you implying I'm not striving for renunciation? Education isn't something to be renounced
    no, it is the paramita translated as "the pleasure of renunciation".

there's 11 paramitas (including both Theravada and Mahayana schools)...

and remember, "there's no one discussing anything"
  • edited January 2011
    Vincenzi, just because you eschew the use of words like "I" or "me" or "you" does not mean you have abandoned egoism. The Buddha used all of those words.

Your strict adherence to a system of communication that avoids those words just makes you sound like a "grammar" fundamentalist.
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't insult him I said I couldn't understand him.
    I said my family was wealthy just explaining my situation to someone else, not you.
    Why would I quote dharma when talking about ordination?

You seem to have no concept of dharma, particularly anatta. Using pronouns has nothing to do with identity-view, it's a method of communicating. Simply leaving the words out as implied doesn't do anything.

"'have spent around 143 years..."

haha

That has nothing to do with your identity view, the word I isn't magical. You seem sort of insecure don't you. From reading a few other posts of your it seems that you just attack everyone else, claim how attained you are, and in general try to increase your status as the best Buddhist or something. I feel bad for you, you have very little chance of progress with so much insecurity and arrogance.

wow, as I'm posting you just reaffirm my image of you, you do whatever you can to find something wrong with my post just to better your status, I was just using shorthand saying renunciation and talking about Theravada when I mentioned 10 paramitas. I'm done talking to you though, try a little more honesty and a little less insecurity. I think you'll find that your understanding of the dharma is severely lacking particularly in terms of anatta.
  • Wow, AraHAHAhant, you learn quick! I say keep up the good work.

/also, one meal a day is great. I've been doing it for about a year now. Never felt better.
  • edited January 2011
    The only thing keeping me from anger here is the pity I feel for someone who thinks that using the word "I" is a crime, and has no understanding of the dharma. That along with the arrogance leads to him having no chance of progress, hence the pity.

*waits for response about past lives, attainment, and misunderstanding of dharma

ooh, interestingly enough Vincenzi uses I/me/you all the time in other posts, so now I'm not so sure he doesn't understand dharma, but I'm even more sure of his insecurity and need to be the best... at Buddhism.
  • I'm the awesomeist ...
    Seriously though, you can't put a price on a proper education. Just stay strong, committed, and avoid temptation. I thought I knew everything before graduating, and the real world had to rough me up to teach me a thing or two. Good luck =)
  • edited January 2011
    I'm beginning to go back, I think I'll find a Theravada monastery in the Forest Tradition, spend a month there, then decide about college.

I mean it would be kind of a waste to spend my life as a monk after 4 years of expensive learning. I'd have to take science/math totally useless to a monk.