Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This is the afterlife

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
We died, forgot about our previous life, and now this is the afterlife, where we will die, forget what has happened to us, and enter another afterlife.

Comments

• indeed, this is "the afterlife"

...and I remember past lives, forgeting doesn't apply to all.
  • Indeed
  • Consider as well, even the Buddha had to attain perfect enlightenment before understanding in an experiential way his own former phenomenal manifestations and countless lifetimes.
  • We died, forgot about our previous life, and now this is the afterlife, where we will die, forget what has happened to us, and enter another afterlife.
    ...says who?
  • We died, forgot about our previous life, and now this is the afterlife, where we will die, forget what has happened to us, and enter another afterlife.
    "...enter another afterlife", or begin another life?

We forget, but only temporarily. Those memories are there, ready to be accessed.

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Hey Talisman,

That's an interesting theory. However, ultimately, have you ever existed as a self in the first place to be born and consequently die?
  • Not self, "mind" or "consciousness".
    Is this a statement or a question?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Getting there. Now remove the "I" and the "you" and even the "we"; any personal involvement, any separate "beings" or "things", any ownership. Is there any unconditioned phenomena that comes into being or dies?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Cloud, you're pushing it to absurdity. If he does what you recommend, there will be no question (or statement) left.

If the individual karmic record does transmogrify (for lack of a better word. Besides, I like "transmogrify") to another body on the vehicle of mind, or consciousness, there is some type of separateness happening. Because my karma doesn't ever get mixed up with yours, or most other peoples', it remains distinct.

Nice to have you back, by the way.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The separation is an illusion. When you learn things, are they things you already knew or where do they come from? If there was a separate self that is not fully interconnected with all other things, thus meaning no true separate nature, then that self would never change... and yet change is the nature of phenomena.
  • You guys are over-thinking it. I am just showing a different way of looking at things. Yeesh you can't post anything on this website without it being picked apart and criticized by every holier-than-thou member that passes by.
  • um...hunh? :scratch:

The key word is "self". It's not a separate self, it's a multiplicity of separate consciousnesses. I...think... How else would people's karmic records stay separate? You don't suffer negative karma due to errors I or anyone else made in my previous lifetime, do you?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yeesh you can't post anything on this website without it being picked apart and criticized by every holier-than-thou member that passes by.
    Hey! Watch whom you're calling holier-than-whom. So we get into nitpicking. It's constructive nit-picking. ;) Besides, Cloud is my popcorn buddie. And I'm defending your OP from those who feel its underlying assumptions are unsound. I like it.
  • Was this mind-body born into a world that's so screwed up because of "its own actions" in the past, or the combination of all actions and conditions, including those of humans that lived before?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    You mean, does the world as a whole have its own karma? That's a good question. I think countries, nations, peoples have their own karma. But this isn't an expert opinion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I mean when we say "my" karma, it's for the purpose of using our thoughts, speech and actions skillfully to wake up to the fact that all of our separations are delusion (including thinking there's an "I" or "self" that has its "own karma" and that it's all a separate from everyone and everything else). All conditionality is shared by all phenomena, one interconnected truth that has no separate selves.
  • Before we continue, could I ask you one thing? Do you believe that one person's karma transfers over to another lifetime? Because some people don't. (At this point, after reading so many debates on the subj., I'm not sure what I believe.) But we can't discuss further if that's a wild card.

It's also a good question: if our separations are an illusion, then how is separate karma and consciousness maintained? HHDL is the reincarnation (they say) of past HHDLs. The HHDL consciousness didn't somehow end up in your body, or get all mixed up in your karma. (Oh well. I give up. :p )
  • I suppose that we engage in these debate rituals because we're social animals. Really, we should probably be meditating, or vacuuming the house, or Changing The World. :o
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I don't believe in "one person" existing, or in a "lifetime" anymore. There aren't people being born and dying... Ya know what? Nevermind. I think we wouldn't be able to match thoughts in this and it's getting off-topic anyway. It was a fun little waste of time though. :) Nice chattin' with ya Dakini.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, same here. :)
    (Actually, I think it's hilarious the way we both ran out of steam and gave up. ^_^ At least we're out of Talisman's way, now.)
  • Retreat to the middle.
  • They don't call it the Middle Way for nothin'! :D
  • You mean, does the world as a whole have its own karma? That's a good question. I think countries, nations, peoples have their own karma. But this isn't an expert opinion.
    well, a countries' karma is the sum of all karma of individuals.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    well, a countries' karma is the sum of all karma of individuals.
    Ah, but is that all it is? Or is a country's karma greater than the sum of its parts? Look at Russia; so much suffering, STILL, and what did its people ever do to deserve that? Many were serfs for generations, and after that, they were pawns of the Soviet regime. I think a country's leaders may rack up stronger karma than its helpless citizens, because the leaders have much greater responsibility.

Look at the negative karma the US has been generating, with so many wars. Don't the leaders who initiated those wars bear most of the responsibility, and therefore generate a corresponding proportion of the karma?

And why has the US been prosperous up until recently, in spite of a history of genocide, slavery and wars against other nations, while Russia has always been an economic basket case?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    It's just greater levels of release of separation. There's "my" karma, but really what I do includes society, "our" karma. Then again what everyone does and what affects everyone is greater than "our" karma, it includes the conditions existing in the entirety of our experienced world...

Before we develop thoughts, there are sights, sounds, tastes, bodily sensations, and smells. Even after we've started thinking, we're still acting largely based on these other things, which we take to be "other" than "self"; there's no real separation... our actions are dependent upon our world, and our world includes every "one" and every "thing" else, all of the conditions and actions.

Open your mind, as The Matrix made famous. :D
  • edited January 2011
    this ones over my head, im alive i know that but it is an illusion, at least what i see, i actually believe im in heaven/nirvana and that much of what i perceive is hallucination, it makes me good to feel i might be in heaven, i had a hard time getting here and i definetly came from helI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(samsara)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Yes, it's true -- sometimes I get up in the morning and what I see staring back at me in the mirror is definitely a zombie. :)
  • Cloud, you're pushing it to absurdity. If he does what you recommend, there will be no question (or statement) left.

If the individual karmic record does transmogrify (for lack of a better word. Besides, I like "transmogrify") to another body on the vehicle of mind, or consciousness, there is some type of separateness happening. Because my karma doesn't ever get mixed up with yours, or most other peoples', it remains distinct.

Nice to have you back, by the way.
    So if Karma remains distinct, then the people who suffer have chosen to suffer?

So if we have all suffered in order to obtain our current level of Karmic consciousness, that means that it is a necessity that those who are suffering now should be left to suffer?

If it is actually a point to aid people in evolving past said suffering, are we doing everything we can in order to do so?

A Karmic record sounds like a rap sheet, but I would have to say that where you see a freedom; I see a mental prison that is similar to any and all adherence to any aspect of belief.

• edited January 2011
    gennaku, a vegetarian zombie i hope!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011

So if we have all suffered in order to obtain our current level of Karmic consciousness, that means that it is a necessity that those who are suffering now should be left to suffer?
    That depends on your understanding of the term 'suffering.
    "Pain is mandatory. 'Suffering' is optional", I believe they say.
    Physical suffering and incidents we have to endure, we have no choice over. Our perception and attitudes, are.
    If it is actually a point to aid people in evolving past said suffering, are we doing everything we can in order to do so?
    Mahayana Buddhism deals with this aspect. Theravada Buddhism doesn't necessarily see this as 'actually the point'...
    A Karmic record sounds like a rap sheet, but I would have to say that where you see a freedom; I see a mental prison that is similar to any and all adherence to any aspect of belief.

You have the key, though.
    It's only a prison in your mind.
    Even behind lock and key, Tibetan Monks have experienced freedom....

• edited January 2011

That depends on your understanding of the term 'suffering.
    "Pain is mandatory. 'Suffering' is optional", I believe they say.
    Physical suffering and incidents we have to endure, we have no choice over. Our perception and attitudes, are.
    Mahayana Buddhism deals with this aspect. Theravada Buddhism doesn't necessarily see this as 'actually the point'...

You have the key, though.
    It's only a prison in your mind.
    Even behind lock and key, Tibetan Monks have experienced freedom....

So in this experience of freedom, why hasn't it been demonstrated within a social construct?
    Do you consider it should adhere to a specific aspect of thought or embody every aspect of thought?

The notion that everyone should find the freedom I have found simply isn't reasonable. Now, if a certain thought created something so brilliant that it consumed all thought beyond a desire to become what is witnessed..... It has created something external from thought alone...... I could only imagine that enlightenment would have the ability to create something that harnessed such a brilliance to become a critical mass where it becomes exponential in growth.
    Something so profound in expression that when you look upon it, it becomes impossible not to see yourself within it!

Words are only as good as the interpretation by which they blossom in the individual expression, or by the book that binds them...... Your own words have the power of expression to prove yourself over and over. I only desire that my words disappear into the expression of another's mind.

• What is it to become a teacher?

For me it is the desire to become a student.
    If I were to teach a mind, I would ask what it desired to know. I would never direct or hinder it's process or path; I would nurture that mind and make every bit of information available to it along it's journey.
    I know that mind would find exactly where it belonged, and what it had to offer back would be a beauty we couldn't even begin to fathom.
    No limits and no bounds, this mind would consume information through it's freedom of desire. When it discovered it's passion, it would develop an expression of artistry and thought that would revolutionize it's field. As this mind masters it's field, it is afforded students that wish to obtain this knowledge; students that like this mind have found their way to the same passion.
    The brilliance is not in becoming a master, but setting minds forward and watching your knowledge evolve into something you could have never fathomed alone...... You become a student of your own mind, and it fills you until there is nothing more you could ever desire but letting go.

A true teacher would never tell us how to achieve something, a true teacher understands the brilliance of a mind when it is set free.
    How can we learn to become enlightened? A true teacher would disclose that there are no words that are exclusive to such knowledge...... Why then, do we look to a teaching when we are meant to extend beyond it, to see a brilliance in our own?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sorry, I moved this to the 'Advanced Ideas' forum. Even as a seasoned old nanny-goat this one's getting a bit beyond me. Are we still on topic, even?
    revolutionary, can you go over your questions to me again (your post under mine....), but in plain English? I'm really tired and I don't want to fall into the trap of "Chi mal capisce peggio risponde' (Italian for 'he who misunderstands replies in a real cock-up style'!)
  • Sorry, I moved this to the 'Advanced Ideas' forum. Even as a seasoned old nanny-goat this one's getting a bit beyond me. Are we still on topic, even?
    revolutionary, can you go over your questions to me again (your post under mine....), but in plain English? I'm really tired and I don't want to fall into the trap of "Chi mal capisce peggio risponde' (Italian for 'he who misunderstands replies in a real cock-up style'!)
    On topic, sure, why not? There are only guidelines when you are told to believe a certain way, or giving parameters on what something means.
    If it is how we live our lives today that determines the event of our "rebirth" and the Karmic attachment to such, why would it be beyond such a topic to investigate what we are capable of accomplishing in this life that we are sharing right now?

I agree with you, I don't see why it should be beyond investigation.
    Isn't that what we were doing?
  • I'm curious, what is the point in the Theravada notion where suffering is concerned?
    Is it absolute acceptance where the only purpose is to change how we perceive it?
    It's not necessarily a question of accepting that suffering exists, it's recognising the origin and working to the cessation of suffering....

Compassion is part of the Theravada package, but it is allied with Wisdom, and the recognition that what matters is not necessarily how kamma has hitherto developed, but what to do about it now. Now, is all we have, absolutely guaranteed-wise....
    The (Mahayana) Bodhisattva vow is an impossible one to fulfil, and while well-intentioned I cannot see personally how it can be worked on. I don't ascribe to the concept of reincarnation, as Tibetan Mahayana followers do....
  • "The Boddhisattva vow is an impossible one to fulfill"

orly?
    Which vow exactly?

Don't mean to be confrontational, genuinely interested in your PoV
    "Beings are numberless; I vow to awaken with them.
    Delusions are inexhaustible; I vow to end them.
    Dharma gates are boundless; I vow to enter them.
    Buddha's way is unsurpassable; I vow to become it."

It seems somehow contradictory and unattainable to me, but I'm certain someone else will know better. And I too, am not being confrontational in that. :)
  • Sometimes

I look at it with the sentiment that the journey is greater than the destination. Vowing to guide all sentient beings to the shore of enlightenment is, intellectually, an impossible task as there are an infinite number of sentient beings. What matters is the altruistic and compassionate intent to bring happiness, liberation, enlightenment, and peace in every moment towards every yearning heart throughout the infinite expanse of space and time.
    Such meritorious and virtuous intent is unsurpassable and the greatest of aspirations. It is through this unwavering and loving pursuit of aiding others, that one is able to transend all hindering desires and delusional beliefs. The wish to help others is more important than any concept of self, and by this path will the Tathagata be revealed in one's steps.

And stuff ...
  • until youve perfected yourself theres not as much you can do for others, kind of like a first year medical student still cant do much to save your life, but when enlightenment is reached you have much less time to waste on yourself as youre already "there" which gives you nothing more rewarding to do than help others as you have been helped yourself
  • my sentences are bigger than my belly!!!
  • That's what I'm saying John. Aiding others leads one to perfective enlightenment. It is a mutual process.
  • also, who told you that "until youve perfected yourself theres not as much you can do for others"

sounds to me like an excuse not to seek ways of helping others with whatever resources you have
    That's what a Bodhisattva is, isn't it? An enlightened being who refuses to pass into Parinirvana until all beings can join him/her, so to speak...?
  • edited January 2011
    A bodhisattva chooses continual rebirth to help others over vacationing in Nirvana, if the buddha is still in nirvana, or jesus is still in heaven there not really bodhisattvas by definition, either way is good, im sure there are plenty of good ways to serve in Nirvana as well as earth. but the idea to me is the bodhissatva is just a little more attached to existence/samsara, the one who completely renounces samsara escapes it entirely in Nirvana, my theory not a quote. They are two different paths.
  • There is the one who seeks to aid others like the King aids his people, by first attaining wealth and power then using his resources for the benefit of all.

There is the one who seeks to aid others like the Shepherd aids his flock, by making sure that they are all rested and fed before him.

There is the one who seeks to aid others like the Ferryman aids his fare, by helping them to the other shore and arriving with them.

These second two are intellectually impossible to acheive as the Dharma cannot be expressed properly without perfective enlightenment and Buddhahood, however the merit of aiding others is part of "attaining wealth and power" metaphorically speaking of course.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't mean to sound rude here, but this blows the apologetics out of the water.

Why would you consider the universe is infinite?
    If we were contained, the focus would always remain on that point of containment...... What is it? Where did it come from? What's beyond it?
    We might be able to contemplate infinity, but it wouldn't be a tangible source of reflection.
    If this is all an illusion, what does it say?
    There is a focal brilliance, the possibility to extend the imagination as far as it might go..... The physical nature itself never ends, it's perception always beginning with you.
    Look anywhere you want, focally, it is all directed back to you.

Impossible? Well now you find contentment in creating your own box of containment.

Why are we projecting all these words, endless interpretations of things that might possibly be, that are external from self?

Are we too afraid to see our own brilliance?

Let me tell you about the elephant.
    When an elephant is placed in captivity, it is taken when it is young. A chain is placed around it's foot and it is staked to the ground. The elephant learns the weight of the chain and where it ends. As the elephant grows, it continues to sway back and forth within it's parameters.
    What the elephant doesn't know, is that it now has the power to pull the stake from the ground setting itself free; in fact, it had this power very early in it's growth.

There is a dichotomy in the teachings of Buddha, physical vs mental..... When we can understand the nature of thought, we can understand it's intellectual offerings.
    The teaching was developed in a state of existence under an oppressive rule; a chain around the leg of physical freedom. This was not just a chain, it was death.
    How do you respond to this realization? You find the only freedom that is possible.

Just like the elephant, the physical enslavement is only in the mind; but it requires one to use it's own force.

if Buddha could see what we are physically capable of achieving and now stuck in the mind through his teachings..... He would have never uttered a single word. It was the only refuge, and it was absolutely beautiful in it's freedom of expression within it...... As I have explained earlier, a true teacher would only desire that those who were their student, would see their own beauty. This is how a teacher blossoms, this is how a teacher is set free to ride upon the minds into a place they could never have envisioned themselves.
    To do justice to your teacher, you must pull the stake from the ground and run free.... When everyone sees you running, you will find them running next to you.
    Take this expression and run........ There is no interpretation, there is only you!
  • i pulled my stake and ran free!! but my trainer eventually caught me and showed me a bigger stake that i couldnt pull, so im back into practise.......