Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Differences between men and women

sndymornsndymorn Veteran
edited January 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I believe there are many differences (besides the obvious) between men and women. For instance, men are stimulated by the visual where women seem not so much to react to this stimuli. Also, women seem to cry more than men, to be more emotional. Children select and play with toys which sharply divide them down gender lines. boys rough house and girls socialize. I know not every person falls into one camp or the other but I am interested in what you think. Can you describe differences or do you believe it all just conditioning? Does the Buddha recognize such differences or are they considered unimportant? Are they refuted , or denied in Buddhist texts? Are they even mentioned?

Comments

• One thing I will state, I believe it is only in the Lotus Sutra that the Buddha revealed that women can attain Buddhahood 'in their present form'.

If there is another Sutra that states women can attain Buddhahood in their present form, simply through faith, I'd be interested to hear it.
  • A lot of what we think are differences between men and women are merely traditional, i.e. a male child may play with dolls out of preference but it's the parents that take it away, fearing it may influence their sexuality. Stuff like that. Why make a thread like this anyway?
  • edited January 2011
    I always thought men were more emotional, because they get angry. Maybe men and women are equal in emotionality, it just plays out differently for each group.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    If there is another Sutra that states women can attain Buddhahood in their present form, I'd be interested to hear it.
    There are many suttas at the link, each or most spoken by a fully enlightened 'woman'.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/thig/index.html

:)

• http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.002.bodh.html

Then Mara the Evil One, desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in the bhikkhuni Soma, desiring to make her fall away from concentration, approached her and addressed her in verse:

That state so hard to achieve
    Which is to be attained by the seers,
    Can't be attained by a woman
    With her two-fingered wisdom.

Then it occurred to the bhikkhuni Soma: "Now who is this that recited the verse — a human being or a non-human being?" Then it occurred to her: "This is Mara the Evil One, who has recited the verse desiring to arouse fear, trepidation, and terror in me, desiring to make me fall away from concentration."

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    A lot of what we think are differences between men and women are merely traditional, i.e. a male child may play with dolls out of preference but it's the parents that take it away, fearing it may influence their sexuality. Stuff like that. Why make a thread like this anyway?
    I would agree with this statement.
  • There is no self, so how can there be gender? What are the differences between your left foot and your right foot, apart from the obvious?

Oh and most women shave their armpits.
  • A lot of what we think are differences between men and women are merely traditional, i.e. a male child may play with dolls out of preference but it's the parents that take it away, fearing it may influence their sexuality. Stuff like that. Why make a thread like this anyway?
    "It's thought of as a sexual stereotype: boys tend to play with toy cars and diggers, while girls like dolls. But male monkeys, suggests research, are no different.

This could mean that males, whether human or monkey, have a biological predisposition to certain toys, says Kim Wallen, a psychologist at Yerkes National Primate Research Center in Atlanta, Georgia"
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13596-male-monkeys-prefer-boys-toys.html.
  • edited February 2011
    In Tibetan Buddhism, all the female yidams (meditational deities), e.g. Tara, Vajrayogini, Vajravarahi, etc., are buddhas.

And Tara, according to tradition, explicitly made a vow to become a Buddha while retaining her female form.

TARA'S VOW

Long ago in an age before which
    there was nothing else,
    the Victorious One, the Tathagata Dundubhisvara
    came into existence and was known as the Light
    of the Various Worlds.
    The Princess "Moon of Wisdom"
    had the highest respect for his teaching,
    and for ten million, one hundred thousand years,
    made offerings to this Enlightened One,
    to his attendant Sravakas,
    and to countless members of the Sangha of Bodhisattvas.

The offerings she prepared each day
    were in value comparable to all the precious things
    which filled a distance of twelve yojanas
    in each of the ten directions,
    leaving no intermediate spaces unfilled.

Finally after all this
    she awoke to the first concepts of Bodhi-Mind.
    At that time some monks said to her:
    "It is as a result of these,
    your roots of virtuous actions,
    that you have come into being in this female form.
    If you pray that your deeds accord with the teachings,
    then indeed on that account you will change your form
    to that of a man, as is befitting."

After much discourse she finally replied,
    "In this life there is no such distinction
    as "male" and "female,"
    neither of "self-identity,"
    a "person"
    nor any perception,
    and therefore attachment to ideas
    of "male" and "female"
    is quite worthless.
    The weak-minded are always deluded by this."

And so she vowed:
    "There are many who wish to gain enlightenment
    in a man's form,
    and there are but few who wish to work
    for the welfare of living beings
    in a female form.
    Therefore may I, in a female body,
    work for the welfare of beings
    right until Samsara has been emptied."
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    There are plenty of psychological differences between men and women. Most men tend to have warrior mentality of being very practical, such as 1+1=2. This is instinctual and comes from strategy and battle like instinct. Men are also more likely to rebel when they feel that thinking outside of the box is actually the right way.

Women have motherly nature. They tend to care more about social matters. About being accepted, being loved, and loving others, etc. They also highly care about security more than men. I notice a lot of women are easier to believe in god over men. Most men I know of my generation don't have faith in god. A lot of women of my generation (way more than men) still do and they look to their faith and their culture for security.

I also have to say women tend to have it a lot easier when it comes to find a mate. As a woman you have a lot to choose from, and often you don't even have to put in as much effort. You can walk into a bar any time and just get laid within an hour. The women are never the ones asking to buy the man a drink. Or they can put an ad online that says they want sex and they will get many offers soon. It doesn't work like this for most men. For a male to do that he really has to be on top of his game on several levels.
  • As with most " things", it appears to me currently that the differences between the genders are less important than the similarities.
  • edited February 2011
    In my experience men are more involved with their "self" than woman. Most of the times when a woman wants a man to listen to her problems, the man will try to "fix" those problems while the woman doesn't want this, she just wants someone to share her problem with. Trying to fix this problem sounds like the man thinking "I can fix this, I can help, I will prevail this problem" (me, me, me). I still have this problem aswell, but I recognise it. :)

Either way, we have to focus on the similarities, don't we?
  • Too much thinking going on here.
  • I ask about these "differences" (I put quotes for those who deny or suggest they are meaningless) because I am looking for a way in. By that I mean I am looking for my platform or foundation from which to embrace Buddhism. I come from an orthodox Catholic background , filled with such distinctions, to you good , generally smart, people here. My head holds all the beautiful imagery the Catholic tradition created, like a cluttered curio cabinet. I do not want more clutter, more imagery. I have no room for it. Up to now, what I have read and heard makes little mention of gender roles. Perhaps I am expecting this topic to be more prevalent because of my background. Perhaps I should "focus on the similarities."
    I thank you all for your responses.
    "Too much thinking," is something I am guilty of.
    On the other hand, I find an answer like "There is no self, so how can there be gender," to be useless to me. I am so far from that point of view. Maybe I am the "evil one."
    :pirate:
  • Dear Sndymorn, Since you are sincere, I will try for a serious answer. First, from the secular, mundane point of view ... The innate differences between men and women (which are minor) mostly derive from their different role in making babies, and hence, different strategies for genetic success. Second, in the Buddha's time society was polygamous, meaning a successful man can have a second wife and a king can have a harem. Therefore, there were a lot of extra men without wives, for whom the ascetic life was an excellent, pro-social path. Much more altruistic than being a warrior/rapist. This is why the ascetic class was male dominated from the earliest days.
    All of this, everything related to genetic survival is part of the first noble truth of suffering. The Buddha advises that suffering should to be understood, the cause of suffering abandoned, the escape from suffering realized, and the path to escape from suffering developed. I personally find it useful to study "normal" human psychology, sociology, anthropology etc. with an eye to understanding and then letting go the cause of suffering. Think of it this way, the most important kamma you inherited was the kamma leading to a human birth, with the entire bundle of emotional and psychological patterns, instincts, and naive realistic way of cognizing yourself and the world. In Dhamma terms, you inherited the 5 khandas. Now your important work is to break out.
    Gender is very irrelevant to the basic teachings of the Buddha, and the societal norms of early Buddhist culture were egalitarian, much more so than modern Europe, for example. This is most strongly preserved in Sri Lankan society. In India, Brahmanical culture gradually took over, including the "Law of Manu" and the subjugation of women became more and more extreme during several centuries after the Buddha's parinibbana. The culture of Siam (= Thailand and Burma) is influenced by Brahmanism and less egalitarian than Sri Lanka. I am not deeply familiar with Northern Buddhist Culture, but the women's monastic lineage in Korea and Taiwan is really powerful - fantastic.
    I hope this helps. Bhikkhuni Sobhana
  • Wonderful answer Bhikkhuni Sobha.
  • edited February 2011

Women have motherly nature. They tend to care more about social matters. About being accepted, being loved, and loving others, etc. They also highly care about security more than men. I notice a lot of women are easier to believe in god over men. Most men I know of my generation don't have faith in god. A lot of women of my generation (way more than men) still do and they look to their faith and their culture for security.

I also have to say women tend to have it a lot easier when it comes to find a mate. As a woman you have a lot to choose from, and often you don't even have to put in as much effort. You can walk into a bar any time and just get laid within an hour. The women are never the ones asking to buy the man a drink. Or they can put an ad online that says they want sex and they will get many offers soon. It doesn't work like this for most men. For a male to do that he really has to be on top of his game on several levels.
    WoW! Have you talked much with real, live women? Some are motherly, some aren't. But the women I"ve talked to say it's easier for guys to find a mate--they have a lot less to worry about, since they're at the power advantage, for one thing. (The women advertising for sex online are putting themselves at risk. Violent crime happens.) If it's more difficult for men to find a mate, why do most divorced men remarry fairly quickly, while women may never remarry, or spend years, decades even, celibate (not by choice)? I wonder how many people really know the opposite sex, except mainly from cliches and the media? I've learned a lot from talking to women, and having women friends. Some are motherly types, some are crusader/revolutionary types. None of the women I know are into religion, unless you count Buddhism as religion.
  • This is silly. I know women who are incredibly angry and violent, and I know men who are extremely nurturing and "motherly". Differences are more based on culture and your (and my) perception than anything else.

Next thread
  • It is ,perhaps, silly. But the differences are real.
    If the differences are meaningless in connection with Buddhist practice that is another issue.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Yeshe Tsogyal, a highly realized practitioner in the Tibetan tradition, said the female form was the best to realize Enlightenment. She was one of the few to buck the trend favoring male rebirth.
    This is silly. I know women who are incredibly angry and violent, and I know men who are extremely nurturing and "motherly". Differences are more based on culture and your (and my) perception than anything else.
    Next thread
    Culture has a lot to do with it. One or two of our youngest members has lamented the lack of adult male role models to model something other than the two extremes: macho or arrogant hetero vs. gentle and gay. I've heard that complaint before. Our culture for some reason pushes boys and men to an extreme, so the prevailing view of men and women seems like they differ a lot more than they really do. In cultures where it's ok for men to show their feminine side, and it's ok for women to show their strength, there's not such a polarized view of gender personalities. How great would it be to have society value more integrated male and female qualities in everyone? Men could be gentle and women could be strong leaders if they were so inclined; everyone's gifts would be much better utilized by society, and everyone would benefit.

• edited February 2011
    Yeshe Tsogyal, a highly realized practitioner in the Tibetan tradition, said the female form was the best to realize Enlightenment. She was one of the few to buck the trend favoring male rebirth
    The story says it was Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava) Yeshe Tsoygal's Indian guru and consort who said to her :

"The Basis for realising enlightenment is a human body.
    Male or female - there is no great difference.
    But if she develops the mind bent on enlightenment,
    the woman's body is better ".
    (from 'Mother of Knowledge' by Nam khai nying-po.)

However, there is no record of the Buddha saying anything like that and personally I don't see any difference.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for that, Dazzle. :) It's important to have quotes for that contrasting position for the Tibetan B. context.
  • edited February 2011
    In Theravada there's nothing that suggests women can't become enlightened. It is said that a woman can't become a Sammasambuddha - but that's because there is only one in our world system - the historical Buddha.

Its also worth noting that in Tibet before the Chinese takeover, female tulkus were very rare, and sometimes any women further back in lineages were later replaced by male tulkus. It was very much (and still is) a system dominated by men.
  • Too much thinking going on here.
    Yes :)

Thinking hard about abstracted notions. Perhaps thinking is not touching reality, but looking into the nature of abstracted notions is.

• This is silly. I know women who are incredibly angry and violent, and I know men who are extremely nurturing and "motherly". Differences are more based on culture and your (and my) perception than anything else.

Next thread
    I believe this would be looking into the nature of abtraction :)

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011

WoW! Have you talked much with real, live women? Some are motherly, some aren't. But the women I"ve talked to say it's easier for guys to find a mate--they have a lot less to worry about, since they're at the power advantage, for one thing. (The women advertising for sex online are putting themselves at risk. Violent crime happens.) If it's more difficult for men to find a mate, why do most divorced men remarry fairly quickly, while women may never remarry, or spend years, decades even, celibate (not by choice)? I wonder how many people really know the opposite sex, except mainly from cliches and the media? I've learned a lot from talking to women, and having women friends. Some are motherly types, some are crusader/revolutionary types. None of the women I know are into religion, unless you count Buddhism as religion.
    I talk to multiple women almost weekly. As I've been trying the dating/casual sex scene both in person and online. What I said is a summary of the most likely things I tend to notice. If you think my observations are all wrong, then that is your own point of view, but they're mostly correct based on my own experience. Not completely, but I never said they were absolute, but they to tend to be most likely observations.

If you actually think a guy can get sex easier than a woman I don't know what to tell you lol. I know an unattractive woman without a job or car that doesn't even work out and she gets laid whenever she wants. Even if a guy is physically attractive, without a car or a good job it starts getting very difficult. Because women tend to look more for security, rather than casual sexual satisfaction like men do.

If women put effort into their personal appearance, even only a little bit, they never have to be celibate. I tell you this from my experience with dating sites, bars, and casual encounter online ads. Women can get sex whenever they want, easily. I can personally walk through any half decent looking woman on how to get laid. I can't say the same with a man. You never see women asking to buy a guy a drink. With men, a lot more effort goes into the picture.

For the danger of being raped that a woman faces with casual encounters. It's actually a lot less likely to happen and a lot less dangerous than driving a car. The danger from rape comes from not expecting it and from not fighting back if it does happen. Even a big guy is very vulnerable when trying to have sex. When you meet someone in a proper setting, with proper lighting and start observing them and chatting with them, all these are tools to be able to better see if you're at risk. Just by googling, or youtubing self defense against rape, a woman can learn practical self defense to beat a rapist. It really isn't hard to beat a bigger guy who is trying to rape you.

They put themselves at high risk by trying to take their dick out. I know this because I practice martial arts in a school that teaches women how to defend themselves and I have watched their practice a few times. It's easy to take out a guy bigger than you when you just aim for the right areas (the eyes, you can even bite off the dick). The elbow can strike from many positions and can easily break a face. The most risky thing to worry about for casual encounters are STDs not the chances of rape.
  • I talk to multiple women almost weekly
    Woah. lol.

edited February 2011
    On the other hand, I find an answer like "There is no self, so how can there be gender," to be useless to me. I am so far from that point of view. Maybe I am the "evil one."
    hello friend

buddhism is taught on two levels: (1) mundane and (2) supramundane

on the level of the supramundane, the enlightened mind has transcended identification with 'male' & 'female'

but on the mundane level, that is, of everyday life in a society of ordinary people, the Buddha certainly pointed out differences between man & women

your questions are fine by me

kind regards

edited February 2011
    Dear Sndymorn, Since you are sincere, I will try for a serious answer. First, from the secular, mundane point of view ... The innate differences between men and women (which are minor) mostly derive from their different role in making babies, and hence, different strategies for genetic success. Second, in the Buddha's time society was polygamous, meaning a successful man can have a second wife and a king can have a harem. Therefore, there were a lot of extra men without wives, for whom the ascetic life was an excellent, pro-social path. Much more altruistic than being a warrior/rapist. This is why the ascetic class was male dominated from the earliest days.
    All of this, everything related to genetic survival is part of the first noble truth of suffering. The Buddha advises that suffering should to be understood, the cause of suffering abandoned, the escape from suffering realized, and the path to escape from suffering developed.

Think of it this way, the most important kamma you inherited was the kamma leading to a human birth, with the entire bundle of emotional and psychological patterns, instincts, and naive realistic way of cognizing yourself and the world. In Dhamma terms, you inherited the 5 khandas. Now your important work is to break out.
    Gender is very irrelevant to the basic teachings of the Buddha, and the societal norms of early Buddhist culture were egalitarian, much more so than modern Europe, for example. This is most strongly preserved in Sri Lankan society. In India, Brahmanical culture gradually took over, including the "Law of Manu" and the subjugation of women became more and more extreme during several centuries after the Buddha's parinibbana. The culture of Siam (= Thailand and Burma) is influenced by Brahmanism and less egalitarian than Sri Lanka. I am not deeply familiar with Northern Buddhist Culture, but the women's monastic lineage in Korea and Taiwan is really powerful - fantastic.
    I hope this helps. Bhikkhuni Sobhana
    Hi Bhikkhuni

Thank you for your opinions but, personally, I find them idiosyncratic & heavily biased.

The scriptures show men, such as the Buddha, Sariputta, Mogallana, Maha Kassapa, etc, entered the spiritual life due to their dissatisfaction with worldly life, including dissatisfaction with women. But you appear to be implying men became monks because there was a shortage of women and they could not find a wife. Bluntly, such an inference is preposterous.

Also, your views about 'inheritance' and 'breaking out' in respect to the five aggregates are superstitious. The Buddha taught the suffering to be comprehended is ATTACHMENT to the five aggregates. But you appear to be asserting the AGGREGATES themselves are suffering.

As for Thailand, the traditional culture is somewhat matriarchial. The impression gained is your views are influenced by the Ajahn Brahm/Bhikkhuni PROPAGANDA.

The Thais, including the majority of Thai women, simply do not want bhikkhunis as a role model in their society. The Thais want monks to be role models because they provide an example of MALE RESTRAINT. As for their women, they wish for their traditional role model of a woman as an unrestrained GODDESS.

I hope this helps.

Dhamma Dhatu

edited February 2011
    Traditional Thai culture provides an excellent example of Buddhist male/female differences.

In traditional Thai culture, the male role model is one of restraint. Each Thai man becomes a monk for at least three months of his life, where (hopefully) he learns about morality in the monastery and how to be a good husband.

Where as the traditional role model of a woman is of a Goddess. The Thai's have a saying: "Man is like the front legs of a horse and woman is like the back legs. The back legs have power and the woman does the pushing".

The Goddess is unrestrained. She does not hide her beauty. She is not inhibited in her behaviour. Her natural tendencies towards motherhood, nest building, etc, are fully encouraged. Her capacity to utlilise her beauty & care to love her sons fully manifests. Most Thai Ajahns give credit to their mother's for teaching them morality & non-harming.

This is different from the Western model, where fathers are generally expected to moralise their sons. In Thailand, the mother, using her beauty & love, plays a significant role in moralising her sons.

I personally find it useful to study "normal" human psychology, sociology, anthropology etc. An example is the works of anthropologist Gregory Bateson, in his studies of traditional Balinese culture & the respective roles of males & females. If we read his essay on Balinese culture, we will discover the dominant & rather unusual methods of motherhood in relation to sons of the Balinese.

These methods are so far from any Western models, most of us would be rather shocked. For example, when the son reaches a certain age, his mother will pleasure him (masturbate his penis). As the boy's pleasure arouses, the mother will reject him & walk away from him. The mother will continue this until the boy learns intimately about the DUKKHA of sensuality.

The boy learns intimately that ATTACHMENT to the aggregates is DUKKHA. The boy is not caught in up superstition that the AGGREGATES themselves are dukkha.

I hope this helps.

• ghosts are male and female, we are not
    edited February 2011
    So the suttas, the Buddha said a husband should serve his wife; that a husband should support his wife. Upon being served, a woman should return her love.

So the Buddha did not offer a patriarchal model of marriage relations, as found in Christianity/Islam.

The Buddha understood the ordinary woman has her aspirations & her husband should support her in such aspirations (rather than expect a wife to be his slave & servant).

• the buddha lived in a time and and place u know..
    edited February 2011
    the Buddha taught universal truth, generally applicable to all times

today, the ordinary woman still has the same aspirations

today, it is advisable a man support a woman in her aspirations

nothing has changed dude

in fact, it has got more serious

today, if you do not support a woman, you will end up in court, divorce and lose the shirt from your back

today, a woman's natural GODDESS nature is unleashed!

all the best

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ..that is correct
  • In my experience men are more involved with their "self" than woman. Most of the times when a woman wants a man to listen to her problems, the man will try to "fix" those problems while the woman doesn't want this, she just wants someone to share her problem with. Trying to fix this problem sounds like the man thinking "I can fix this, I can help, I will prevail this problem" (me, me, me). I still have this problem aswell, but I recognise it. :)

Either way, we have to focus on the similarities, don't we?
    I don't think in a practical sense we do have to focus on the similarities - there are differences between men and woman as others here have discussed - biological, social, cultural etc .... and as Dhamma Dhatu explains the Suttas do identify, address and offer suggestions about the differences. In terms of engaging in life and practice, I am a female and will experience as a female.

• anyway in conclusion i've got to say that differences between sexes are "found". just like colour is found.
  • Right, I've seen this sort of thread before and it usually arouses quite a bit of argument but at the risk of being critisized, the Buddha did indeed speak about the differences between women and men. Here is one such from MN115 Bahudhatuka Sutta - The Many Kinds of Elements (http://www.yellowrobe.com/component/content/article/120-majjhima-nikaya/321-bahudhtuka-sutta-the-many-kinds-of-elements.html):

12. “But, venerable sir, in what way can a bhikkhu be called skilled in what is possible and what is impossible?”
    15. “He understands: ‘It is impossible, it cannot happen that a woman could be an Accomplished One, a Fully Enlightened One ― there is no such possibility.’ And he understands: ‘It is possible that a man might be an Accomplished One, a Fully Enlightened One ― there is such a possibility.’ He understands: ‘It is impossible, it cannot happen that a woman could be a Wheel-turning Monarch...that a woman could occupy the position of Sakka...that a woman could occupy the position of Māra...that a woman could occupy the position of Brahmā ― there is no such possibility.’ And he understands: ‘It is possible that a man might be a Wheel-turning Monarch...that a man might occupy the position of Sakka...that a man might occupy the position of Māra...that a man might occupy the position of Brahmā ― there is such a possibility.’
    Now, to fully understand what the Buddha meant, he meant that a woman cannot become a Buddha as a woman, not that she cannot attain enlightenment - she can. In fact, there is a whole book called the Therigatha in the Pali Canon which details the "awakening verses" (what is called the "lion's roar" for male enlightened beings chronicled in the Theragatha) of many female nuns who became awakened during the Buddha's time.

There is also a sutta in which a female nun wanted to follow the path of a Bodhisattva to become a fully enlightened Buddha so she was reborn as a male Deva. However, I can't locate that sutta.

There was a discussion at newbuddhist regarding this particular passage in MN115 which, for more information, you can find here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8108/least-favorite-buddha-sayings-and-sutras/p1
  • I am in over my head at this time.
    I do lean toward explanations which coincide with my world view. Since I perceive profound distinctions between sexes, I seek to find a framework in Buddhism which supports this position.
    I am thrilled at the responses I am getting and amused at the side issues (mostly quite germane) that have been raised.
    Perhaps because I am a simple person, I like aphorisms:
    Men marry women hoping they won't change and women marry men expecting they will.
    Societal constructs, (pardon this phrase) such as the one Dhamma described in Thai culture, in which men are constrained, appeal to me. That women are in charge of this task makes perfect sense. Who else could do the job but the "better half", the "Goddess"?
    (My better half is summoning me right now)
  • Men marry women hoping they won't change and women marry men expecting they will.
    In Buddhism, the realities of craving & ignorance are very important.

The Buddha aligned craving with the female and ignorance with the male.

Generally, women have innate expectations of moral behaviour from a man.

Generally, men must mature to inwardly understand the benefits of moral behaviour.

edited February 2011
    ...the Buddha did indeed speak about the differences between women and men. Here is one such from MN115 Bahudhatuka Sutta - The Many Kinds of Elements
    MN 115 is not relevent. It simply states a Sammasambuddha (the founder of the Buddhist religion) cannot be a woman.

• @ dhammadhatu, OK, now we are in a side issue, but an important one, in the sutta on Turning the Wheel of Dhamma, the Buddha's first sermon, he summarized the nature of suffering by saying "in short, the five aggregates of clinging are suffering." it's a compound word, pancupadanakkhandha a single concept. Then, read the pancupadanakkhandha samyutta -- the chapter in the Connected Discourses. Clinging is not just an extraneous factor that turns the khandhas from a good thing into a bad thing. Clinging is the natural function of the khandhas. The attitude towards the khandhas in samyutta that I referred to is deep, deep, profound disillusionment. It is true that the commentaries refer to the residual khandhas of the arahant, khandhas without clinging ... but that misses the powerful and effective point of this teaching. If you could only see how the adrenalin or endorphins running through your bloodstream, when cognized as unpleasant and pleasant feelings, which distort your perceptions and push your volitions, all "known" in a delusional way by a naive consciousness that believes in a self and a world.
    There is a lot in recent neuroscience and philosophy that shows from a completely different perspective, how form, feeling, perception, volition, and consciousness all work together to create the delusion of self and perpetuate life in samsara. Do you even know that the definition of the English word consciousness is that knowing which knows the "self" and its "objects"? Without knowing a "self" a person is unconscious in the normal meaning. So don't let yourself be led by the five aggregates of clinging. To do this is truly to be led by a fool.
    Instead, let the wisdom factor become the leader in your life. Learn to lighten up and dis-identify with the five aggregates individually and all together. Then learn to unite and harmonize the khandhas around wholesome meditation practices such as brahmaviharas. In deep meditation, allow the khandas to fall apart and fall away. I have been focusing on this point in my personal practice and teaching for a few years now. I am confident this is a correct reading because of the profound beneficial impact this approach has had for me and for others who have tried it.
    In peace,
  • @dhammadhatu, when I visited Chiang Mai last year, I was greeted very courteously by many people including the local leaders of Dhammayut and Mahanikay. At the UNDV and MCU there were also tremendous personal expressions of friendship and support from many dozens of people both lay and bhikkhus. They all rejoiced in the restoration for four-fold sangha. So perhaps there is a diversity of opinion in Thailand. I was one of the kammavacacarinis officiating the bhikkhuni ordination at Perth, and also participated in ordaining 9 bhikkhunis at two ordination ceremonies in California, this year. So you may consider me a propoganidst. Really the universal Dhamma is far more interesting than monastic Sangha issues. I love Ajahn Brahm but don't think I have been brainwashed by him.

• 12. .
    15. “He understands: ‘It is impossible, it cannot happen that a woman could be an Accomplished One, a Fully Enlightened One ― there is no such possibility.’
    Now, to fully understand what the Buddha meant, he meant that a woman cannot become a Buddha as a woman, not that she cannot attain enlightenment - she can. In fact, there is a whole book called the Therigatha in the Pali Canon which details the "awakening verses" (what is called the "lion's roar" for male enlightened beings chronicled in the Theragatha) of many female nuns who became awakened during the Buddha's time.

There is also a sutta in which a female nun wanted to follow the path of a Bodhisattva to become a fully enlightened Buddha so she was reborn as a male Deva. However, I can't locate that sutta.

There was a discussion at newbuddhist regarding this particular passage in MN115 which, for more information, you can find here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8108/least-favorite-buddha-sayings-and-sutras/p1
    Thanks, Vangelis, good to have you back. But bearing in mind the OP's question ("does the Buddha recognize such differences"), is there anything else in the texts that discusses male/female differences? (Other than that the husband serves the wife, and in exchange, she gives her love, we have that one.) The passage above only says women can't be a Buddha, men can. It also says, a women can't become a "Fully Enlightened One", but you say that he didn't mean a woman couldn't become enlightened. Is there a difference between "enlightened" and "a Fully Enlightened One"? Could you clarify? And why was it necessary for the nun who wanted to become a fully enlightened Buddha to be reborn as a male Deva?
  • Men marry women hoping they won't change and women marry men expecting they will.

Generally, men must mature to inwardly understand the benefits of moral behaviour.

I am going to snuggle up with this assertion.

:rolleyes:

I am going to snuggle up with this assertion.

:rolleyes:
    It is a good one, isn't it? Except I'm not sure about the craving part. Don't men far out-do women in the craving dept.? Or does it depend on which type of craving we're talking about?

edited February 2011
    To follow, imo, a man's craving has strong roots in ignorance whereas a woman's craving has roots in psycho/biological craving. When a man wises up, it is easy for him to control his sexual behaviour.

Pornography is a good example. Most people who regard pornography as problematic, see the problem rooted in lust. But the problem is actually rooted in delusion (ignorance). Men, especially, think such behaviours bring happiness.

:-/
  • I take this to mean that as we develop, as we are in the process of becoming mature men and women, our challenges, that is the challenges of our sex, are different. Men must overcome their bestial nature by conscious decision.
    Women are challenged with more heady pitfalls. Young men's (in the normal coarse of events) challenge is centered in the body, young women's in the mind.
    edited February 2011
    AyyaSobhana

Only one khandha clings, namely, sankhara khanda. The body, which is mere matter, does not cling. Nibbana with residue is void of clinging but still experiences feeling. In MN 121, the Buddha described the supreme emptiness as including the activity of the sense organs, the body & the life facility. In a Buddha, each five aggregates continues to function, void of ignorance, void of sensuality, void of (self) becoming.

Regarding endorphins, your point is irrelevent. You appear to be confusing the reactions of the nervous system with clinging. Clinging, the Buddha regarded as 'delight' (nandi), as 'self-view' (assami mana). The Buddha said there are four kinds of clinging, namely, clinging to pleasure, rules, views & notions of 'self'. However, you appear to be asserting feeling & physical reactions are clinging. The suttas (ex. MN 37) make it unambiguously clear Nibbana is the destruction of craving and not the destruction of feeling.

Your sentence: "without knowing a "self" a person is unconscious in the normal meaning" does not accord with the suttas. The suttas describe well the arahants, such as Sariputta, who are fully conscious in various meditative states but their minds are utterly void of 'I making' and 'my making'.

In deep meditation, the khandas do not fall apart and fall away (although they exhibit impermanence). The essense of Satipatthana is to see the khandas are mere khandas. To see the body as 'body' (rather than 'self'). To see feelings as 'feelings' (rather than 'self'). Etc.

The essense of vipassana (insight), is to see the khandhas arise & pass, including with the arising & passing of momentary consciousness; to see they are insubstantial; so disenchantment towards them occurs.

But the khandhas never disappear. They are always there.

To believe the khandas fall away is not Buddhist insight (vipassana). Instead, it is a dissociated state of consciousness, resembling an immaterial jhana (however, most likely, just sloth & torpor).

There is no such thing as the "five aggregates of clinging". The sutta make it very clear what non-clinging is. It is to not regard each or all aggregates as "I", "me" or "mine". Even Bhikkhu Bodhi, who adheres to the Sri Lankan Mahavihira Commentary tradition, translates the relevent passages as "the five aggregates subject to clinging".

But the forest teachers, such as Chah, Maha Boowa & Buddhadasa simply regard it as clinging to the five aggregates. I was reading Maha Boowa only yesterday, who unambliguously stated in arahantship, the khandhas continue to function.

But your reading of one sentence, seems to be divorced from the entire body of suttas, which consistancey exhort simply to not regard the five agggregates as "self", as "I", "me" and "mine".

To me, your personal practise simply sounds like letting go or the developmnent of concentration. Here, your mind is becoming empty of perceptions & thoughts but not yet clear enough (kammaniyo) for the work of insight (vipassana).

In vipassana, the five aggregates are seen clearly as just the five aggregates. "Dis-identification" happens automatically.

All the best

"There are these five aggregates subject to clinging, where a monk should stay, keeping track of arising & passing away (thus): 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' As he stays keeping track of arising & passing away with regard to these five aggregates subject to clinging, he abandons any conceit that 'I am' with regard to these five clinging-aggregates. This being the case, he discerns, 'I have abandoned any conceit that "I am" with regard to these five clinging-aggregates.'

Maha-suññata Sutta: The Greater Discourse on Emptiness
    "Here, ruler of gods, a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth clinging to. When a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth clinging to, he directly knows everything; having directly known everything, he fully understands everything; having directly known everything, he fully understood everything, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither pleasant or painful, he abides contemplating (observing) impermanence in those feelings, contemplating (observing) fading away, contemplating (observing) cessation, contemplating (observing) relinquishment (letting go). Contemplating (observing) thus, he does not cling (think about) to anything in the world. When he does not cling (think about), he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana. He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life has been lived, there is no more coming to any state of being.’ Briefly, it is in this way, ruler of gods, that a bhikkhu is liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end, the ultimate security from bondage, the ultimate holy life, the ultimate goal, one who is foremost among gods and humans.

Culatanhasankhaya Sutta
    On seeing a form with the eye, he lusts after it if it is pleasing; he dislikes it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body unestablished, with a limited mind, and he does not understand as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Engaged as he is in favoring and opposing, whatever he feels he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it, and remains holding to it. As he does so, delight arises in him. Now delight in feelings is clinging. With his clinging as condition, being [comes to be]; with being as condition, birth; with birth as condition ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair come to be. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind, and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favoring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant, painful, or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

Mahātanhāsankhaya Sutta