Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha Boy

edited February 2011 in Meditation
Has anyone seen this?

Comments

• follow up video -
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I think he's genuine. I hope he will perfor great deeds for others :)
  • Sorry, but smells like bullshit to me.
  • edited February 2011
    I believe in its possibility until there is reason not to believe.
  • I am extremely doubtful and suspicious.
  • just sitting without moving for 18 hours is an incredible thing.
    Try sitting meditation for more than 2 hours and see what happen.

The kid spent months, meditating without moving everyday for at least 20 hours a day.

It doesn't matter weather he drinks a bit at night or not.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Maybe?
    We need more studies...
    More observations and the like.
  • just sitting without moving for 18 hours is an incredible thing.
    Try sitting meditation for more than 2 hours and see what happen.

The kid spent months, meditating without moving everyday for at least 20 hours a day..
    That's cool and all, but it doesn't make someone a Buddha.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Maybe?
    We need more studies...
    Or maybe he should just be left alone to complete what he feels he has to do ! ;)
  • I agree with Caz Namya.
  • Ahm, didn't he beat people up for watching him?
  • I think Buddha boy has great disipline but this seems too much of a sideshow to me.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Some strange things are possible. I didn't think someone could last half-naked in freezing cold weather without being affected for hours or days, but Stan Lee's Superhumans changed my mind on that... Though not even the Buddha went without food like this. I didn't think humans could generate heat in the freezing cold and melt the snow around them, but the Tibetan "tummo" practice changed my mind on that... :)

This doesn't preclude that it could be a hoax, either getting sustenance every so often (deep meditation would slow down the body, he wouldn't need so much so often) in secret or something else. I mean David Blaine does strange endurance feats too.

My question is, why meditate deeply for 10 months straight? Are we sure he hasn't gone too deep into meditation and is now in a coma or something?

EDIT: By the way this is only part 1 of 5... I for one am going to go check out the other parts on YouTube. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Yeesh if ya watch the whole documentary, this all took place years ago and then the kid disappeared mysteriously in 2006. So it's not like this is current and he's still there meditating. There are other videos on YouTube with him reappearing and giving speeches about Dharma...

Here's him giving his speech after re-appearing, which has subtitled translations in several languages (English is the top-left translation so just keep your eyes on that one).

May have to watch it larger to read it, i.e. full-screen. To watch this on YouTube, where it's larger but not taking up your whole screen, click on the bottom-right of this where it says "YouTube" and it'll go to the vid on that site.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    If you'd prefer to just read Buddha Boy's message, I typed it out from the video:
    A message of peace to our world today. Murder, violence, greed, anger and temptation have made the human world a desperate place. A terrible storm has descended upon the human world. And this is carrying the world towards destruction. The only one way to save the world is through the path of dharma. When one doesn't walk the righteous path of spiritual practice this desperate world will surely be destroyed. Therefore, follow the path of spirituality and spread this message to your fellows.

Never put obstacles, anger and disbelief in the way of my meditation's mission. I am only showing you the way; you must seek it on your own. What I will be, what I will do, the coming days will reveal. Human salvation, the salvation of all living beings, and peace in the world are my goals and my path. [Namo Buddha Sangaya, Namo Sangaya (might have missed a repeat)]. I am contemplating on the release of this chaotic world from the ocean of emotions, on our detachment from anger and temptation, without straying from the path for even a moment. I am renouncing my own attachment to my life and my home forever.

I am working to save all living beings. But for this ephemeral world, my life's practice has been a mere entertainment. The practice and devotion of many Buddhas are directed at the world's betterment and happiness. It is essential but very difficult to understand that practice and devotion. Although it is easy to understand this simple knowledge, human beings don't understand it. But one day, we must leave this uncertain world to go with the Lord of Death. We must leave behind our long-time friends and family members to dissolve into nothingness. We have to leave behind the wealth and property we have accumulated. What's the use of my happiness, when those who have loved me from the beginning, my mother, father, brothers, relatives are all unhappy. Therefore to rescue all sentient beings, I have to be Buddha-mind and emerge from my underground cave to meditate deeply and follow the path of God, to realize the right path and the knowledge. So please do not disturb my practice.

My practice detaches me from my body, my soul and this existence. In this situation there will be 72 goddess Kalis. Different gods will be present. There will be the sounds of thunder and many other sounds. At this time the celestial gods and goddesses will be doing divine worship. So until I have sent a message, do not come here. And please explain this to others. Spread spiritual knowledge and spiritual messages throughout the world. Spread the message of world peace to all. Seek the righteous path, and wisdom will be yours.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    "My question is, why meditate deeply for 10 months straight?"

If I could pull that off, I'd do it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Some strange things are possible. I didn't think someone could last half-naked in freezing cold weather without being affected for hours or days, but Stan Lee's Superhumans changed my mind on that... Though not even the Buddha went without food like this.
    Um...yes, he did. And found it was an absolutely barmy and excessive thing to do, so he stopped.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Where'd you read that Fede? I've read that he went with very little, i.e. down to a nut a day or something. Not that he went with nothing at all, at least not for a long period (and more importantly to no ill-effect as this child apparently is doing). There's a reason the Buddha is depicted as having his ribs actually visible from the period when he performed ascetic practices.

What I've read is he took those ascetic practices to the brink of the human ability to endure, and his mind wasn't able to focus and he was on the brink of death. Not exactly what I'm talking about or what "Buddha Boy" is doing. :)
  • "My question is, why meditate deeply for 10 months straight?"

If I could pull that off, I'd do it.
    Thinking about it now, yeah I think that would be ideal, especially if you knew any special practice to not have to eat/drink (if this is genuine) while you're doing it. Find a place where you'd be "safe" and just... go. :D

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Maybe?
    We need more studies...
    Or maybe he should just be left alone to complete what he feels he has to do ! ;)
    Yes, or if he wants to be studied and the like, then we should.
    We should definitely ask him and see how he feels being watched and such.
  • Does his practice bring you greater peace, benevolence and gratitude? Does it strengthen your practice? Or is it just voyeurism?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I heard about this years ago. This sort of thing is a repeated scam. Just do a quick google to see the various people who claim to be able to live without food or drink due to mental and physical discipline. The few who were self deluded enough to submit to actual controlled testing almost killed themselves before the scientists called it off.

The boy's family and local temple were raking in a fortune by local standards from pilgrims, and in our country this would be considered child abuse. And yes, it does matter that his handlers lied about letting him eat and drink move around behind screens every night so they could maintain the illusion. Oh, and he was supposedly bitten by poisonous snakes and healed himself. And sick people who showed up there and prayed to him were healed. Standard stuff.

Now he's popped back up with some rambling claim that he's yet another enlightened master with the answer to the world's problems.

The answer is not found in magic or fake supernatural powers and the Buddha rejected this dead end path for the Middle Way for a reason.

So another self-appointed enlightened master walks the earth. He'll make a good living and end up a footnote in the long list of gurus that also claimed to be something special.

• So another self-appointed enlightened master walks the earth. He'll make a good living and end up a footnote in the long list of gurus that also claimed to be something special.
    This "self appointed enlightened master" was supervised and trained by highly "ranked" Tibetan Buddhist teachers.

For those who believe he should be scrutinized by science, he was (just watch all of the vids). But by the only scientific that matters to him; the highly achieved and knowledgeable Buddhist teachers.

Again, judging weather it's a scam or not or weather there is some money made around him is missing the enormous point that this boy was meditating for at least 18 hours a day without moving for months.

Please keep in mind when you watch the videos that most of the people talking have no idea whatsoever about what they are talking about, the only people you should pay attention to are the Buddhist teachers and the boy himself.
    Notice that none of them have made any "magical" claims.
  • I can not believe some people here would even consider for a moment meditating fr ten months. Life's for living, and if you won't to waste that precious gift sat cross-legged under a tree there's something wrong.
  • I can not believe some people here would even consider for a moment meditating fr ten months. Life's for living, and if you won't to waste that precious gift sat cross-legged under a tree there's something wrong.
    What if after you "missed" living your life for 10 months, but then be able to help countless others to find peace and end their suffering?

• I am reminded of the sadness that HHDL expresses when he describes his loneliness as a child being brought up as a tulku in the Potala Place. This child deserves a childhood.
  • I'm sorry, but this boy is not going to help one person find peace or end their suffering. All he's going to do is generate a lot of business as pilgrims continue to see him as some sort of supernatural savior. And if the temple is involved in this, then it's a sad thing to see Buddhism so twisted.

It's even sadder if his life has been distorted and he believes this. However, they had to know they were pulling a con on people with their wild claims in the past about his supernatural powers. No, his meditation does not magically make the world better. He would help the world more if he made some sandwitches and handed them out to the poor.

Nobody can survive for months without eating or drinking enough to sustain their body. Period. There are millions of starving people in Africa who wish it was otherwise. No scientist or doctor will do anything but laugh at the claim. What's a "scientist" going to test for? They're not going to lock him in a plexiglass box with some airholes and watch him die.

And scientists and reporters are some of the biggest idiots in the world when it comes to spotting tricks, because they think that they have some special intelligence for spotting them. For this sort of con, it takes a stage magician to show up and suddenly their powers vanish. The Amazing Randi has busted breatharians time and again, until he doesn't want to waste his time anymore.

If I'm rather forceful, it's because this sort of thing gives Buddhism a bad name. It's like people showing up to pray at and hold vigil where the Virgin Mary appears in a stain on a wall.
  • I'm sorry, but this boy is not going to help one person find peace or end their suffering. All he's going to do is generate a lot of business as pilgrims continue to see him as some sort of supernatural savior. And if the temple is involved in this, then it's a sad thing to see Buddhism so twisted.

It's even sadder if his life has been distorted and he believes this. However, they had to know they were pulling a con on people with their wild claims in the past about his supernatural powers. No, his meditation does not magically make the world better. He would help the world more if he made some sandwitches and handed them out to the poor.

Nobody can survive for months without eating or drinking enough to sustain their body. Period. There are millions of starving people in Africa who wish it was otherwise. No scientist or doctor will do anything but laugh at the claim. What's a "scientist" going to test for? They're not going to lock him in a plexiglass box with some airholes and watch him die.

And scientists and reporters are some of the biggest idiots in the world when it comes to spotting tricks, because they think that they have some special intelligence for spotting them. For this sort of con, it takes a stage magician to show up and suddenly their powers vanish. The Amazing Randi has busted breatharians time and again, until he doesn't want to waste his time anymore.

If I'm rather forceful, it's because this sort of thing gives Buddhism a bad name. It's like people showing up to pray at and hold vigil where the Virgin Mary appears in a stain on a wall.
    You seem completely cynical and disillusioned about the benefit of meditations and about the dharma.

Do you believe that all Bodhisattva's who wishes to attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings are wasting their time also and would be better off making sandwiches for the poor?

Are you here on this board to save us from this waste of time?
  • holy cow i'm just stunned, as I sit here eating a big bowl of icecream.
  • I'm no so doubting of the possibility that one may go without food and water for an extended time, if such a person has developed a practice that is unknown to the greater Buddhist community. If you watch the entire 5-part documentary, they tested an older gentlemen also who states he hasn't eaten (or drank?) anything for many years. They observed him scientifically in a closed, monitored environment they created, for 10 days... every second. No food, no water, no ill effects. Checked on by doctors, blood drawn, all sorts of stuff done 3x a day during that time.

It's possible. To deny that it's a possibility is rather short-sighted, as there are things humans can do that were "impossible" not long ago, such as the Tibetan yogic practice of tummo. We should have our doubts, but we should also be open at the same time. We get "stuck" in views of belief and disbelief too easily; there is also abiding in neither belief nor disbelief, but this is apparently the rarest ability of all. :D
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Do you believe that all Bodhisattva's who wishes to attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings are wasting their time also and would be better off making sandwiches for the poor?
    Real bodhisattvas don't advertise themselves as such. They don't make a spectacle of their meditation practice as if it was some amazing supernatural gift.

It may seem cynical to you, but I think it's just being realistic. I'm very wary of supposed "enlightened" people like this. The most powerful masters I know do not claim to have incredible meditation abilities, they simply teach and help others as best they can. That is the true power of bodhisattvas.

If they feel they could help people by making sandwiches for the poor, then yes, it would be more beneficial than sitting under a tree to prove that one can do so for months on end. And a true bodhisattva would make sandwiches with no thought of being thanked or recognized for their actions.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I don't recall this boy ever making a claim he is a Buddha. In fact, he specifically told people not to call him a Buddha. He also told people to leave him alone and stop bothering him so much. Obviously, they didn't listen.
  • @seeker242, That's about what I got out of it too. It seems the only ones making any claims, making any money, etc. are the people "around" the boy. He just wants to renounce his desires and such to be able to help others; nothing that he himself said is contrary to his tradition's practices and Bodhisattva vows.
  • @seeker242, That's about what I got out of it too. It seems the only ones making any claims, making any money, etc. are the people "around" the boy. He just wants to renounce his desires and such to be able to help others; nothing that he himself said is contrary to his tradition's practices and Bodhisattva vows.
    indeed.

It seems that the boy has since been living a quiet and humble life, helping others who come to seek his help.

If Buddha or Jesus were alive today, people would also scream "SCAM" and dismiss them from watching and reading the claims of others about them, while other people would be more than willing to write books about them and their teachings to make money...
    There would be others to sell all kind of derived products like t-shirts and souvenirs, feeding the "scam" claims...
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    He has hair like me. :D

• August, 2010:

The so-called "Buddha Boy" of Nepal is under investigation for assaulting 17 local villagers who disturbed him while he was meditating. One report says Rom Bomjan and his attendants locked the villagers in a small room and kept them there overnight. Several of the alleged assaultees required medical attention.

News stories say Ram Bomjan admits he and some of his attendants had assaulted the villagers, slapping them around and beating them with sticks. His story is that they climbed onto his meditation platform and mimicked him. "I was therefore forced to beat them."

• His story is that they climbed onto his meditation platform and mimicked him. "I was therefore forced to beat them."
    lol
    That puts the benefits of long meditation into perspective.
  • I believed him at first, but after this, there's no way he's enlightened. Or even a genuine buddhist. IMO
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    He never claimed to be enlightened; he said he wants to be. That's why he keeps meditating. I keep finding it funny how misconstrued it gets. :) There's a big difference between who the kid seems to be and what the people around the kid, like his brother and the others who were making money, are saying.

If you take the video (including the other 4 parts on YouTube), the speech he gave, and the fact that he showed violence, these seem to be reasonable conclusions about the boy and his fame:

1) He meditated for a long time
    2) Others made money off of him
    3) He scorned this being a sideshow/entertainment, asked people to leave him alone in his meditation, expressed his desire to awaken for all beings
    4) For whatever reason there was a large group of people interfering with his meditating and mocking him, and he got violent
    5) So he's not enlightened yet

What other people think about him, i.e. that he's the reincarnation of the Buddha, and the people who are making money off of him... none of those factor in to who the kid actually is and what he's done. Sure he's not enlightened, but he didn't claim to be. Whatever else, if we look at this with discernment and clarity, it's not at all about him, but about the hype itself and those who have been promoting Buddha Boy.

So it seems harsh to call him a fraud, as none of the claims are his. He seems to be an honest practitioner wanting to awaken for himself and others, and he has work to do yet (obviously), just like any of us! There's nothing special about him, other than maybe the fact that he can meditate for a long time.

So go easy on the kid. He's only human, and not at fault for the fame that's been thrust upon him. :D
  • your right :) I didn't think of it that way :D
  • I agree he needs to be left alone and it's no wonder he has some problems socializing, with his history. I imagine he gets pointed out as "that Buddha Boy" now and has to put up with a lot from the pilgrims and tourists and such.

He certainly didn't have a normal childhood. I hope his adult life can become something more normal, for a regular old monk trying to follow the Dharma.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Agreed. Poor kid has been sideswiped by all this crap, just because he wants to put all of himself into the practice. Wish I had a tenth of his commitment to walking the path, or maybe a tenth of his ability to meditate. ;)
  • I have no doubt that Cloud's analysis is correct and that this is a blatant example of child abuse. Indeed, one must wonder about the way in which tulkus are raised.