Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The core of the Buddhas teaching!

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
So can please someone tell me in brief what is the most important thing to focus on to get on the Buddha's path and to best understand it? Is it 4 Noble Truths, 8 paths, meditation or is it compassion and loving kindness. Also impermanece seems to be very important. Thanks for the tips.

Comments

• The Buddhist path is equal parts Wisdom and Compassion.

The important things to focus on in my opinion are the Four Noble Truths and the Three Marks of Existence:

Anicca/Impermanence,
    Dukkha (Unsatisfactoriness/Suffering/Frustration/Pain),
    Not-Self/Interdependence

Compassion, loving-kindness, metta, whatever you want to call it should always be a part of your practice. It's part of Right Effort to cultivate this. It is to your own mind through the Four Noble Truths and Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta that you will penetrate the nature of all phenomena and become naturally compassionate (without having to try).
  • You have it right here. But I still kinnda find it hard to understand the not-self part. Also you can be follow the preepts but still forget about the compassion and be on the wrong path.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The precepts just keep you from screwing up. The actual practice is cultivating the good mental qualities and abandoning the bad. :)

What don't you understand about Anatta/Not-Self? Maybe we can help you out.
  • Well I kinnda understand it in theory but it's harder to practice the non-self in real life. And also it gets hard to stay compassionate when someone deliberatly starts stepping on your nerves and putting you down:) Still a lot to learn myself.
  • Hi kundabuffer,

You'll never understand not-self and a lot of other stuff if you haven't walked the path that leads to it first. I think there are very few people in the world who really fully understand this. Well, at least I don't. Maybe I've seen a quick-preview of it and I can somehow agree with it conceptually but that's not how buddhism works. You have to see to believe.

So my suggestion is to take one step at a time and leave all those theoretical things for what they are and focus on your own daily life. What are the problems there and how can you solve them in a compassionate way (towards others and yourself)? I agree with Cloud and also say the core of the Buddha's teaching is cultivating wisdom and compassion. But you can only start where you are now.

And of course, the number one tool towards wisdom and compassion is meditation. Maybe that's the core teaching, meditation.

Love,
    Sabre
  • If you're interested in Tibetan Buddhism, Lamrim contemplation/placement meditations are great in that they provide a structured format of daily meditations that contain all the Buddha's teachings (I hope that's not a controversial statement; it's what I've been taught).

I used them pretty much from the start, even though I didn't really understand many of them at all, particularly the greater scope meditations, but as time goes and I study more, I understand them better (ish).
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited February 2011
    there are 2 related simple interpretations of anatman:

1) this (suffering) is not mine, this self (that suffers) is not me; therefore this (suffering) is not real
    2) a mental practice to become free from suffering (in the end, it doesn't matter "how real self is")

• Meditation, compassion, loving kindness and knowledge of the 4 Nobel Truths are already included in the Eightfold Path.

It's deceptive to think about a "most important thing" when discussing the 8FP, because they are so interdependent. I recommend embarking on meditation while also studying the 8FP. Start with "Right Understanding" then you can browse around from there.

Check out Gunaratana's "Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness."

• I agree with what the guys have said above - but I also think that knowledge of the Five Skandhas is important

• Meditation, compassion, loving kindness and knowledge of the 4 Nobel Truths are already included in the Eightfold Path.
    I think you have it backwards. The 8 fold path is included in the 4 noble truths. Specifically it is the 4th noble truth, the path that leads to the cessation of ignorance and suffering.

I agree that meditation is pivotal for all stages of development and an important stepping stone when beginning practice. Right understanding, however, is very difficult to attain at an early level as it involves the perfection of wisdom which can only be attained through profound insight and diligent practice.

As a starting practitioner I'd suggest working on right action, speach, livlihood, effort, concentration, as well as engaged loving-kindness and constant mindfulness.

As Buddhajunkie stated, the different aspects of the path support one-another.
  • When this arises, that arises. Nothing else to it.
  • The Four "Nobels"--love it! ^_^
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    So can please someone tell me in brief what is the most important thing to focus on to get on the Buddha's path and to best understand it?
    The Way: Just your Heart.

(I believe that's a qoute from Lin Chi)

• In my experience, I would say that the best way is mindfulness. When reality is seen clearly, the compassion naturally arises and the appropriate actions are taken.
  • So what is reality than according to Buddhism? Is it really just an illusion. What about the atoms etc, solid matter. Let's not forget Castaneda's interpretation that everything is energy.
  • @Kundabuffer, Reality is just the way it is. All phenomena are transient, ownerless and bound up with dukkha. For the unenlightened mind it's not an illusion, but rather a delusion. The clinging mind sees permanence, seeks out pleasures and eternal existence, while avoiding that which it dislikes; causing its own suffering, as these are not the way of all phenomena or under the control of such a mind.
  • There are another things puzzling me in Buddhism. What about self confidence and self esteem in Buddhism. It is obvious that if you want to be humble you can't be an asshole egoist. But having a strong self esteem is dangerous that you can cross the line. Also if Buddhists don't acknowledge any deities where does all the beauty and all the imagination comes from. We all know that religious themes always come up with beautiful visions etc.
  • here is my 2 cents. self esteem is good in this world while you are embroiled in it.
    it is an ego that allows you to function in society. a person with low esteem may commit suicide. ego dissolves when you realise it is an illusion. Beauty and imagination comes from the mind, the brain. And beauty is subjective.
  • yes, it is an illusion. Looking at physical things (atoms etc) will not explain nor satisfy the question of our illusion. by observing the brain you cant explain dreams and thoughts or consciuosness. You can see sth happening in the brain with MRI but you cant explain it other than synapse firing. What is energy? How do you define it?
    Some enlightened masters know nothing about Science, but they know the thing that really matters, freedom from suffering.

'So what is reality than according to Buddhism? Is it really just an illusion. What about the atoms etc, solid matter. Let's not forget Castaneda's interpretation that everything is energy. '
  • You have a great inquisitive mind. Keep questioning and seeking. Seek and you will find. All the best in your journey of discovery.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!
  • i think perhaps rightful living, practicing love and compassion for all sentient beings,should come first IMO, any thing that requires advanced meditation should not be the central teaching in my opinion, as it, meditation, is not for everyone. We are used to hearing complicated teachings from monks and advanced meditaters, the buddha had a popular message that was loved by lay people too, sometimes we lose sight of the simple message he had for everyone, while running to the higher teaching he had for the most devout.
  • Start with practicing simple mindfulness techniques. In time, these can deepen into proper 'meditation' sessions. In a sense, this is the beginning AND end of Buddhism.

Eventually you will also develop wisdom (hint: it's all about impermanence) and compassion (hint: it feels good to be nice).

Budda boom - you're a Buddha!
  • Meditation can be the first thing is a good idea in buddhism. Compassion is not forced but it is uncovered by observation of reality. Removing obstacles. Intellectual compassion is useless though it can create karma by the good intentions.

Meditation coming first is desirable because the students in the west don't have the basic faith in the buddhist path (generalization) that is present in cultures where buddhism is normal. For example its widespread belief in America that god loves you and will help you. That is my anology. Of course there are many buddhists looking for buddhism to save them but that is a different kind of energy than confidence.

So someone practices meditation and benefits. THEN they get interested in the 4NTs etc..

Anyway that is why I think from day one a meditation practice is a sound idea. And I didn't say an advanced one. Many meditations are self-sealing in that if you are not ready for the advanced benefits it would be impossible to have that fruit. Which isn't to discount odd experiences, but those are not fruits.
  • edited February 2011
    meditation was widely practised by hindus in the buddha's india, if meditation was the central message of buddhism, as opposed to a tool that helped the buddha formulate his ideas, then hinduism would have sufficed.

imagine teaching buddhism to a five year old child, do you start with meditation, the four noble truths, non attachment. i think not, i think that the buddha had a basic message in things like the 5 precepts, of a moral society, and then goes up from that to more advanced less universal teachings that virtually require meditation.

back to the OP question, what is the most basic teaching to get on the path, again i state rightful living, love and compassion. why is that so hard for us to understand, because we want to skip the basics because they are hard, very hard, and it it is easier to skip to the top and have all kinds of opinions fueled by meditation. meditating doesn't make you a good buddhist, rightful living, peace, love, and compassion do, IMO.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    John my point is that to a person not willing to adopt philosophy just observation of their experience is not as threatening as absorbing Buddhist cultural ideas. Ultimately their own insight and not a list of 5s 7s and 8s is going to liberate them.

From their own insight comes love and compassion. Not from discipline in a conventional sense.

But keep doing what is working for you ;)
  • @ former monk john - i kindly disagree that meditation - or at least mindfulness - is not a great place to start teaching buddhism. you mention a 5 year old child - i have a 3 year old child, and i find that he is much more likely to be interested in a mindfulness exercise (for example, experiencing the joy of eating food mouthful by mouthful, and encouraging him to enjoy the taste of each bite) than in a 'morality' lesson, so to speak. of course one always guides in that manner too, but usually by positive re-inforcement rather than negative. a list of 'don't do thats' is just giving a kid a great motivation to try it and see for themselves - which is what they will probably do at some point anyway :)

I have just realised i have basically repeated Jeffrey in twice as many words.

My apologies to both of you :)
  • maybe i'm confusing "core of the buddhist teachings" for "what is the most basic teaching of buddhism", which is what i was refering to, certainly the core of the buddhist teaching for the buddha himself involved meditation, but i can't imagine the buddha only concerned himself with people who meditate, quite the contrary, that's my point.
  • Compassion and loving kindness are quality of 4 noble truths and 8 path. 4 noble truths are basically the emptiness self of all phenomena, and to eliminate the disharmony self against all impermanence. 8 path is the balancing during the course of pursuit, until the achievement of complete compassion and loving kindness without a trace :p
  • the more i think about it the core of the buddha's teaching, to me, has to be love and compassion, without that the rest kind of seems like nonsense, imagine what meditation teachers that had no love and compassion would be like, all ego, and me me me..............
  • avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind

The non-doing of any evil, the performance of what’s skillful, the cleansing of one’s own mind: this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    ~Dhammapada 183
  • So I still have some questions. As some user before talked about in some other thread I kinnda still love my suffering. I kinnda have the feeling some kind of suffering must be present when someone wants to be creative. We see from the history onward that all the best art-works were made by the men on the edge of insanity. Meditation and all that new age stuff kinnda seems to me washed down and it takes away the edge. Well maybe that's just my opinion and my attachment to my own pain.

• Prof. Jamieson has written a book about the link btw genius and mental illness. People like Van Gogh and Michael Jackson suggest she may be right.
    Creativity is highly valued in our society. However, Buddha is more concerned about developing your mind for peace and wisdom. If you still enjoy your edge, pursue it. I beleive that it will lose its appeal at some point.
  • There is no core. To specify a "core" is to take away from the beauty that is buddhism. The core is all of it. How you get to the core is up to you. The core is not what comes first. The core is the totality of it. The totality is contained within each part of it. So, the core is all of it, which is any of it.
  • Prof.Kay Redfield Jamison has written a book about the link btw genius and mental illness. People like Van Gogh and Michael Jackson suggest she may be right.
    A slight correction.
  • Today is Machapuja Day when 1,250 Arahants came together on a full moon day, without any prior arrangement, and they had all been ordained by the 'Ehipassiko' method (come and see) by the Buddha. He gave them a teaching called the Ovadapattimokha often referred to as the heart of Buddhism.
    To refrain from evil, do good and purify the mind...this is the teaching of all the Buddhas.
    The Dhamma is the ultimate truth, of which there can only be one, so every Buddha teaches exactly the same Dhamma. It is always true, but our understanding of it changes until eventually the truth of it is lost until the next Buddha comes and re-discovers it again.
    To do good refers to making merit, of which there are ten ways.
    To refrain from evil refers to keeping the precepts.
    To purify the mind refers to chanting and meditation.