Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Martial Arts

CamCam
edited February 2011 in General Banter
Is anyone here an active or past martial artist?

I trained in Shaolin Kungfu for two years, and then took up tai chi for a very short while. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but it was actually shaolin kungfu that introduced me to the concept of buddhism and some of the meditation practices (which is pretty cool to look back at, now knowing what it was). Once I leave school I'm going to take up yoga for a few years, and then take up kungfu again.

What do you guys think of martial arts?

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i would really like to take classes, actually. i looked into it a while ago and was disappointed at how expensive the classes are! but i'm making better money now, so i was kind of hoping that this summer i can start going to the dojo down the street from me. they also have free zen meetings on sundays.
  • I must just be lucky here in Australia then :)

I payed $10 for 3 hour sessions, usually taking two a week.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    whoa. i looked a few places, but the one i really liked charged $120 a month.... i haven't checked out the place down the street from me yet though. i hope it's much cheaper, lol. there's no way i could ever justify another monthly bill like that...
  • Sagat is into martial arts, and recently decided to become competitive, i.e. professional, for prizes. But he hasn't posted for awhile. You could PM him, or wait until he returns to let us know what he's up to.
  • Yes, trained in various forms of Kung Fu and Karate, Boxing, and Ninjitsu, but not to any extended length of time. I started in 1st grade quit all forms of martial arts by late high school, so that's about 20 years ago.
  • Still, I wouldn't want to fight me, unless you were a lot heavier than me and did lots of good grappling. Still... I'm good with my elbo's and knees. LOL!!
  • Oh awesome, ninjitsu. I've always wanted to try that.

Is there any reason you quit martial arts?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I was a serious martial arts practitioner for many years beginning in childhood. I have training in karate, tae kwan do, kung fu, judo, aikido, baguazhang, kumdo, and several weapon styles. I used to compete in competitions and won several top placing medals. I still practice tai chi and qigong, I'd highly recommend both. I consider all martial arts to have meditative qualities. :ninja:

Why do you need to wait to take up yoga or kung fu? You could always practice at home if you can't afford classes right now. There are lots of books and instructional videos you can find that can help you create a personal work out. You could also try and practice what you remember of the kung fu training you received.
  • Oh awesome, ninjitsu. I've always wanted to try that.

Is there any reason you quit martial arts?
    Well... Graffiti and skateboarding to major precedence back then. HAHA!!
  • I was a serious martial arts practitioner for many years beginning in childhood. I have training in karate, tae kwan do, kung fu, judo, aikido, baguazhang, kumdo, and several weapon styles. I used to compete in competitions and won several top placing medals. I still practice tai chi and qigong, I'd highly recommend both. I consider all martial arts to have a meditative quality.

Why do you need to wait to take up yoga or kung fu? You could always practice at home if you can't afford classes right now. There are lots of books and instructional videos you can find that can help you create a personal work out. You could also try and practice what you remember of the kung fu training you received.
    That's awesome!!! True, true, though the more complex styles you should learn from a teacher directly. I just want to say that.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Shito-Ryu and Aikido here ! Well, I think they are really useful, not necessarily in the sense of punch-and-kick thing, but for reflex and speed and how fast can you think in different situations. Proved useful when I applied them in basketball and the very little parkour training I practiced some years ago.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Vajraheart I definitely agree. Thankfully there are lots of great styles that are good for beginners, depending on your experience and fitness level. [DISCLAIMER: DO NOT BEGIN ANY EXERCISE PROGRAM WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR PHYSICIAN.] :thumbsup:

• Why do you need to wait to take up yoga or kung fu? You could always practice at home if you can't afford classes right now. There are lots of books and instructional videos you can find that can help you create a personal work out. You could also try and practice what you remember of the kung fu training you received.
    It's not so much a need, but rather a preference. I'm extremely tall (6'7"), and flexibility was always an extremely weak point for me. My thinking is that through yoga I'll improve my flexibility in preparation for kungfu (I already stretch quite frequently though)

I do have instructional videos for kungfu, but I only use it for the kungfu stretches. I don't use them to actually learn kungfu, simply because it's not the same as being at a center with a practitioner.

• HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    Karate and Judo training here, been at it around 18 months and don't think I'll ever put it down. It's helped me focus in a few areas of my life and I wouldn't say it lead me to Buddhism but it definitely widened my horizons.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Martial arts is a good way of conditioning the body and providing very basic foundations of concentration upon physical aspects, Also with some organisations they can adhere to very strict codes of ethical conduct. Discipline is an essential need however what it lacks is an essential deeper inner focus, Kungfu and its developments where originally a skillfull way of exercise to keep the monks from seazing up after long sessions of sitting the point is not to focus to greatly upon its physical aspect but to keep your body healthy for the point of focusing upon ones inner wellbeing.

Martial arts used to the purpose of deafeating ones outter enemies is pretty pointless from a spiritual POV as Enemies are but appearances to uncontrolled minds and slaying them as is slaying corpses for it is pointless as all aggrevements are nothing in the face of death, The Inner martial art is far better as this helps us defeat the REAL enemy that causes us to suffer our own self cherishing and SELF grasping mind.

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I love martial arts. It is what has made me who I am. I've been practicing different styles for most of my teen and adult life.

I started out with Jujitsu for about 1 year at 13
    Then I started Kendo at 18 and did that competitively until 21.
    I spent about a year practicing several styles of Kung Fu and Chen Taichi in a park.

In the last year I have been practicing at a no nonsense MMA gym, and also refining what I learn once a week with a training partner. This MMA gym gets packed, sometimes we get about 40 people in one session.

In that gym/school, I've done; Muay Thai, Close Quarters Combat, S.p.e.a.r. style taught by LAPD, Aikido, Judo, Kali/Eskrima, BJJ, Ninjutsu, and Krav Maga.

The Muay Thai is really fun to practice because we get to put on equipment like boxing gloves, chin pads, we have a boxing ring, punching bags, water filled dummies, and a cage in that school too. I have got the opportunity to fight using all of them. Once you start getting the hang of Muay Thai it really makes you feel lethal.

You can pepper someone with extremely hard combos that include jabs, crosses, hooks, elbows, and kicks like it is just second nature. Most people would never expect a combo so fast and so hard. You get to a point where it becomes like second nature just natural reflexes. So in my experience, this way of training the bodies reflexes through sparring is probably the most effective fighting style. Or one of the most for sure.

Krav Maga is great too. This is an extremely simple yet effective fighting style that is really a mix of the best. You can disarm a gun so easily and it ends up with gun facing your opponent every time. Krav Maga is more of a military defensive tool rather than a martial art. It is so powerful that you can learn it easily from instructional videos. It is not really an art, it is a set of techniques for war. If I had to go with only one art for self defense I would do Krav Maga.

Obviously though, martial arts is more than self defense. In my experience, the most fun has been Muay Thai, and fighting with those boxing gloves and pads in almost a dance like motion where you're one with the Earth. Even after fighting a Muay Thai match though, I have to say the most brutal martial art I've practiced is still by far Kendo. You wouldn't think it to be so, but when you spar in an old school Japanese dojo with bamboo swords, competitive black belts that all have samurai mind set, and everyone is bare foot, people will go home with bruises, scrapes, possible brain damage, missing skin, all sorts of stuff. That really hardens you and builds your character unlike any other martial art probably.

Practicing in that old school Kendo dojo is where I learned about Buddhism. That Kendo dojo was so old school that you paid $30-$40 for tuition a month just to help rent the property. Our Kendo sensei never expected or asked to get paid for his time. We all just bought him Xmas presents and sometimes Bday presents. Now days most martial art schools go for $120-$200 a month. Anything below that is usually a bargain. Is this price of $120+ a month justified? I'm not sure really, I guess it is if you look at it like buying a service.

But if you really want to learn self defense you can learn from Krav Maga videos then practicing at the park maybe with people from Meetup.com. Paying those big monthly fees for martial arts means you should be getting far more than self defense out of it. Most martial artists will never get in a street fight.

• Most martial artists will never get in a street fight.
    Ah yes!

I remember when I started Kungfu, they introduced it as "The fighting art, of not fighting". It didn't make sense when they said it - but it did after 2 years of practice :p.
  • Practicing Goju Ryu Karate.... And i am also looking up on the net for other martial arts... For me, martial arts is just an individuality - personal expressions invovling all sorts of thinking and focus...
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I've been practicing Zen Martial Arts for over 3 years and highly recommend it to anyone who will listen. :) It is expensive, but when money was tightest I paid my tuition there before I pay my electricity bill; it's that important.
    I've been practicing Zen Martial Arts for over 3 years and highly recommend it to anyone who will listen. :) It is expensive, but when money was tightest I paid my tuition there before I pay my electricity bill; it's that important.
    lincoln, i forgot you live in michigan! would you believe that i did a free tour of this very same location (the one on woodward)? this was the place i was referring to as the $120 one... ugh. i really liked it, but it's too much for me. are the prices still so high?

and just out of curiosity, what do you love so much about this particular style?
    @zombiegirl Yup, it's actually $135 for ZMA I believe and has been since I started. Tai Chi is a little less if I recall correctly.

It's not really a style, it's the combination of techniques Sifu has learned from his different practices over the years. He calls it "Zen" to differentiate it from people who think MMA or cage fighting is "martial arts" not to define it as its own style. He stresses meditation as a requirement of practice.

The dojo focuses on "partners not opponents" and is non-competitive, but they practice extremely hard and we work on all ranges. It's very warm and friendly, but also very formal. As someone who has spent years building communities, I recognize Sifu not as just a master martial artist, but also a master teacher and community builder. I think those are rare qualities among school owners.
    @zombiegirl Yup, it's actually $135 for ZMA I believe and has been since I started. Tai Chi is a little less if I recall correctly.

It's not really a style, it's the combination of techniques Sifu has learned from his different practices over the years. He calls it "Zen" to differentiate it from people who think MMA or cage fighting is "martial arts" not to define it as its own style. He stresses meditation as a requirement of practice.

The dojo focuses on "partners not opponents" and is non-competitive, but they practice extremely hard and we work on all ranges. It's very warm and friendly, but also very formal. As someone who has spent years building communities, I recognize Sifu not as just a master martial artist, but also a master teacher and community builder. I think those are rare qualities among school owners.
    i visited them probably around 4-5 years ago when i was living in royal oak, so it is very possible that the price has changed.

a lot of the things you mention are the reasons i thought it seemed like a great place. i really liked the focus on meditation and the atmosphere seemed fantastic (plus, i see people practicing outside all the time.. seems nice). well, i might still keep looking for a better deal (ho ho, i'm cheap), but maybe someday i'll show up there... never know. ;) i know back in the day when i looked at that location and a few others, i was discouraged because liked them the best but they were too expensive!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I'm thinking about learning Yang style tai chi from a place here in Portland. Not sure if I will, though.
  • If I were to study, I would most likely study Aikido. From what many people have told me, it has a high level of mental discipline and is purely defensive. I would not mind learning something if I had to use it, I could toss or make a defensive move then get out ASAP.

I also agree that Martial Arts are not a bad thing if you are learning them for the positive reasons-Mental Discipline, fitness, etc.
    @zombiegirl If you look at it as "lessons", then yes it's expensive. I look at it more like "the most important thing I do that makes my life way better."
  • @Jason I couldn't find prices on the website, do you know how much classes cost?
    edited February 2011

Hey nothing wrong with calling cage fighting and MMA martial arts. The MMA gym I train at has a Thai Buddha statue right at the entrance of the mat. The main teacher has black belts in at least 4 styles. We also do Qigong, meditation and Eastern philosophy sangha every Sunday that is free to the public. This is all done by a bunch of those MMA brutes who do cage fighting you were talking about lol. Most of us don't fight for competition, but we do learn martial arts in a very respectful and efficient way.

The only difference between us and other martial artists is that we tend to not be traditional. That's why we call it MMA. We tend to do what works, and rarely do we wear uniforms. We got a full curriculum Muay Thai, BJJ and Ninjutsu class that does the belt/sash system, but most of the time we tend to mix it up. The other classes are a mix of very practical self defense close quarters combat. We throw in guns and knives into those classes.

Remember Bruce Lee is actually the father of MMA. His most senior student has an MMA school here in L.A., his name is Dan Inosanto. Bruce Lee is the one who started the concept of mixing it up to be efficient with Jeet Kun Do, and him above all people would approve of MMA. He himself fought in competitive matches, even one to the death. So MMA is a system of martial arts. It has a few differences from the traditional schools, mostly with the fact of less rules, but it is just a mix of tradition and modernized fighting that does need to be balanced also with mental discipline.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    @Jason I couldn't find prices on the website, do you know how much classes cost?
    I asked and he said $80 a month. With two classes a week, that averages out to $9-10 a class. I don't know if any of the other styles are more expensive, though. I only asked about tai chi.
    Hey nothing wrong with calling cage fighting and MMA martial arts.
    My teacher would simply disagree.
    The only difference between us and other martial artists is that we tend to not be traditional.
    Not a trivial difference, perhaps.
    Remember Bruce Lee is actually the father of MMA.
    While he of course mixed martial arts styles, I'm not sure he would claim responsibility for the current MMA industry. That is, of course, purely my own speculation.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I used to pay 5 years ago 50 dollars for 3 days a week for a 1 month period. That is about 5 dollars a session. Some of the students did work for the school which was just getting established for free. The most I did was sweep the floors.
  • Hey nothing wrong with calling cage fighting and MMA martial arts.
    My teacher would simply disagree.
    I get the impression that you also think MMA isn't martial arts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've heard martial artists of every background talk down other martial arts than their own. To say a martial art is not a "martial art" is mostly big ego and misconception talking. I've heard traditional Kung Fu guys say MMA is too brutal and isn't martial arts. I've heard MMA guys say that Kung Fu and very traditional arts like Taichi don't work well in the ring or on the street. I've heard Ninjutsu guys say that Kendo isn't a martial art. I've heard martial artists say that Sumo isn't practical.

Well let me tell you, in all the years I've been practicing, all the different teachers I have had, all the real fights I've seen, I can confidently say all of these people who claimed that something isn't a martial art or something isn't effective are speaking words of ego, ignorance, and misconception.

Here is the definition of martial arts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts
    It's very vast. It mostly comes down to the region and the practitioners that make the art the way it is. The bottom line is though, that martial arts are techniques of war that for modern times are meant to build you, both your body and your mind with also the added effect of making you tougher in general.

I come from a background of all types of martial arts. I've done traditional Kendo, Jujitsu, Taichi, Kung Fu, practiced extensively with the son of an 8th dan Karateka, Kali, and I currently practice in an MMA school with a steel cage. All these arts are not as different as you would think. They're all very similar at the core. My time practicing all these different styles has told me that they are all effective. They all have the potential of being equally as brutal. They all have the potential of being equally as helpful to the mind and body.

What really sets them apart though, the most. The most important thing to look for when learning martial arts, is not the style, it's the teacher. If the teacher is practical, compassionate, yet open minded, those are all attributes needed to make students even better than the teacher. Because a good teacher is not a master, they're not done yet, even they keep learning with each new student. The more a martial artist keeps learning, the more powerful they become. When they say that they're already a master and they put down other styles, that is when they're easiest to be beaten.

While all styles are not equal, if they did not work for what they were meant to do, they would not last. They would die out. Different styles provide different things. Even when a good teacher is present, it depends just as much on the dedication of the student to turn that knowledge into something practical and useful.

The more you practice, the more styles you see, the more partners you face, the more you realize that there is so much more to learn, and it can all be useful. This is the definition of MMA. Mixed martial arts, it is the extensive study of martial arts to extend your horizons to learn more and take what works the best. It's the ego that limits ones growth in martial arts. In the day of the samurai fighting with one sword at a time was looked as a very honorable tradition. But Musashi broke that tradition by using two swords simultaneously. He did this because he found it the most practical way to win. This is the same mind set of MMA. Use what works best to win the fight. To do what works in order to be successful is both zen, and the main principle of martial arts.

• CamCam
    edited February 2011
    MMA isn't a martial art. It's mixed martial arts ;) In the same way that 3 eggs aren't an egg :p

I had friends training MMA along side the time I was training Kung-fu. The only commentary I can give (from experience) is that sure, they trained martial arts; but not the ethical conduct that goes with it. They are much more willing to get into fights, and I don't think that's a reflection of ability.

Again, that's only from experience, and I'm sure this will vary given venue and teachers. I can also say that what they learnt consisted of many thing we were exclusively told NOT to do in Kung-fu, as a matter of drawing the line between temporarily incapacitating and Killing the individual. As a result of that, I don't view MMA as a self defense art.

That's my opinion. Lets try and keep the discussion on track, and without an art vs art(s) debate. Please.
    edited February 2011
    MMA isn't a martial art. It's mixed martial arts ;) In the same way that 3 eggs aren't an egg :p

Multiple eggs is what you need for an omelet. Omelet is still egg. MMA is still a completely valid martial arts system. Usually consisting of very practical fighting techniques. Muay Thai stand up fighting and BJJ ground fighting tend to be the core of MMA, but their is really a lot of options.

I had friends training MMA along side the time I was training Kung-fu. The only commentary I can give (from experience) is that sure, they trained martial arts; but not the ethical conduct that goes with it. They are much more willing to get into fights, and I don't think that's a reflection of ability.
    My MMA teacher has studied psychology at a university and holds a degree. He has a picture and a statue of the Buddha in the school. We also have a code of conduct and related rules to follow on the wall. He also offers free community classes of both MMA, Qigong, and Eastern philosophy such as Buddhism, and Taoism. He is one of the nicest teachers I've met, even if he is teaching real effective fighting. He also teaches philosophy to enhance your character. To say he is not teaching martial arts is just ignorance to me.

He is probably more compassionate and practical than a traditional teacher who is putting down other martial arts. I have never heard my MMA teacher even once put down another martial art. He holds belts in at least 6 styles. Humility and compassion are the attributes that need to be taught along side fighting in order to maintain a balanced mind set. This can be taught along side any fighting style, even one that uses knives constantly, such as kali.

Again, that's only from experience, and I'm sure this will vary given venue and teachers. I can also say that what they learnt consisted of many thing we were exclusively told NOT to do in Kung-fu, as a matter of drawing the line between temporarily incapacitating and Killing the individual. As a result of that, I don't view MMA as a self defense art.
    Kung Fu has the Wude. I'm sure most traditional martial artists know what this is. But just as Kung Fu has the Wude other martial arts including MMA have their chivalry and their honor. Kendo is probably the most traditional martial art around, yet I can tell you from experience that the MMA gym I train at cares more about the safety of its students more than old school Kendo dojos. Kendo is about many things, but one main thing is that it's a killing art. But that is the yin and yang of martial arts. As one learns how to destroy often they're also learning how to build. Kendo holds just as much importance in building the character through the samurai way as it holds importance in striking down your opponent in one blow.

But even though that sounds noble, it's just as brutal as MMA. When I practice MMA arts I have good quality padding and I rarely get injured. When I practice Kendo with other Yudansha I get injured 30 percent of the time. In any competitive fight even with gear you will either get injured or you will injure your opponent. As the gear comes off, the chances for injury grow. When you fight with hardened weapons the chances of injuries grow even higher.

Any martial art that is either traditional or modernized will have sparring. MMA isn't all about competitive beating each other to pulp in a cage. I fight in a cage and a boxing ring, but it is with a partner to both hone our skills. And when we have a night of sparring, it is always safe. I've seen a professional fighter get their cornea permanently damaged into forced retirement from a palm strike in a traditional Sumo match. I've also seen Kendoka break each others fingers from a kote strike where their hand was protected.

This is what happens even in traditional arts when people fight competitively. MMA is no different than the traditional arts in this regard. They're all rich in culture and tradition that make them martial arts, and all of them can offer much. And well if you think MMA is not about self defense I don't know what to tell you. Above all the other martial arts it's probably the one most focused more so on practical fighting, as you get to practice that in real time. The only other style I could think of that is more focused on street fighting techniques more so than any other style would be Krav Maga. Which I would call both a system of military techniques and a martial art.

Martial arts are arts of war. The ethics can be added and often they're, but the ethics is not what makes them a martial art. Different cultures of people produce different martial arts. Kendo and Kung Fu are both traditional martial arts, but they're very different. Kendo is as much about killing as it is about building your character. To say they're martial arts and Muay Thai and BJJ aren't martial arts makes no sense. It comes down to the individual teacher and the student that make the product. Not the style itself.

That's my opinion. Lets try and keep the discussion on track, and without an art vs art(s) debate. Please.
    I love talking about martial arts. But to me it looked like you were talking down MMA. So I am happy to possibly show you a different perspective. Not at all art vs art debate, more so just an MMA practitioner who also comes from a traditional art background challenging your perception with a reality check.

• qikong and tai chi for sure - it is fantastic for alligning body and mind
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Martial arts is a very good active meditation technique. I've practiced Yang Tai Chi and Aikido. However, if you're doing it so you can be good at beating people up, you're doing it wrong.
    edited February 2011
    Martial arts is a very good active meditation technique. I've practiced Yang Tai Chi and Aikido. However, if you're doing it so you can be good at beating people up, you're doing it wrong.
    Sometimes you have to fight. Sometimes you have to defend yourself and your loved ones. Sometimes you're surrounded by many bad seeds that can make it so you have higher chances to need to defend yourself over other people. Real street fights where both are evenly matched are quick and brutal, usually trips to the hospital. This is why martial arts originated, so fights could be won easily without you going to the hospital, or so you could win the war and go home.

If all martial arts stopped being about being able to fight effectively there would only be hippy Taichi and internal martial arts left. I love hippies, and internal martial arts, but martial arts are supposed to be yin and yang. Destruction and creation.

Any teacher who tells you to never fight is not teaching a warrior art. Martial arts descend from warrior disciplines. By practicing martial arts you should be prepared to fight. You should not go looking for fights with negative intention, but you should be ready for a fight if the time ever arrives. That is the difference. If you don't like the thought of being ready to fight, real martial arts are probably not your thing. But Taichi, internal kung fu, spiritual Qigong and yoga can be perfect. And while Taichi originated as martial art, there are styles of it now days that is just moving meditation like Qigong.

I don't want to sound too intense, but sometimes there is too much fundamentalist thinking from Buddhists that all martial arts should be loving kindness. This is not martial arts. Martial arts descend from war and now days they're used for many things. From being able to break people, to just making yourself a better person, all useful things.

all of these people who claimed that something isn't a martial art or something isn't effective are speaking words of ego, ignorance, and misconception.
    I don't believe his argument is about MMA's style or ability, but rather about motivation and (usually) lack of meditation. I think he sees MMA schools as generally promoting fighting and competition.
    Use what works best to win the fight.
    I would be remiss to use the word 'win' or 'opponent' in my dojo and would likely be sternly corrected. If I fought in a tournament, I would not expect to be welcome again at my dojo.

I agree with his perception of the martial arts industry in the same way I agree with techniques. He is my teacher and I have little experience outside my dojo. One day I may disagree just as one day I may prefer different techniques to ones he teaches. For now, I thought it was a worthy perspective to add to the conversation.
  • I imagine that the traditional martial arts were at one time mixed martial arts. Its like languages, fluid. Just my thoughts!
    edited February 2011
    Maybe I could draw a better distinction. In the view of my teacher (if I understand it correctly) would be something like this:

Not martial arts: Tournaments, ring fighting, cage matches, pay-per-view television, testosterone-driven environments.

Martial arts: Meditation, partners-not-opponents, self-defense, any effective techniques from any "style", applying practice to your everyday life.

He has said that if you could press the "mute" button on most of the MMA studios he's been to, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and us. It's the way they frame their practice in words and attitude that makes all the difference. If you've found an "MMA" studio that truly operates differently than that then we're talking about the same thing. However if you say "MMA" to most people, I suspect their first thought is what you see on cable.
    @zombiegirl If you look at it as "lessons", then yes it's expensive. I look at it more like "the most important thing I do that makes my life way better."

Lincoln, do you classify this school as your sangha as well?
    @zombiegirl An interesting question. We don't have an explicitly Buddhist curriculum, though of course it draws heavily on Zen. Honestly, I'm unsure of Sifu's particular spiritual beliefs, and this is by his design. We have people of many faiths practicing with us. I separately attend a Zen abbey sporadically, but perhaps that's supplemental.

It is my dojo, my primary place of learning :) Whether that makes it my Buddhist sangha too, I am unsure.
  • How does it work learning values outside of punching and kicking and exercising. That would inherently entail discipline, respect of the teacher, hard work etc.. But is there more to it than that?

I was in a Kung Fu school for a short time and they talked about kindness and fellowship. That was expressed informally before and after classes and also when a more experienced student is showing a newcomer things.

But I only had a short experience so I am additionally curious.
    But is there more to it than that?
    Working with a partner on techniques and thru sparring requires etiquette, sensitivity, mindfulness, good communication, and hopefully an ability to teach a little. Beyond exercise, you must push yourself beyond what you thought possible to pass tests for rank (and, if you're doing it right, on a daily basis in class). Breaking thru limits is an important part of practice, as is helping your partner do the same (this is where sensitivity comes into play - can you push them without hurting them?)

We also express respect formally thru bowing, how we interact with Sifu and the staff, and how we work with partners of different ranks.
  • i started out boxing, then I practised tai chi for many years, now i'm back boxing.

• I don't believe his argument is about MMA's style or ability, but rather about motivation and (usually) lack of meditation. I think he sees MMA schools as generally promoting fighting and competition.
    The MMA school I practice at has much respect for meditation and mutual respect between partners. There is sparring, and fighting, but almost always safety equipment is used. Most of the hard sparring is with good padding and equipment. The wrestling and the grappling, such as judo, BJJ etc don't have padding, but that is not as dangerous as the Muay Thai without padding. Out of say 60 students we have attending (just a rough estimate) only 5 percent of them or less will actually compete in competitive MMA fights.

We have a cage and boxing ring in the school to fight in, but these are training tools, not places to hurt each other in. I've never seen hard fights in those rings without equipment. The stuff you see on cable are usually veteran fighters of several styles that wanted to fight on their own desire. When our teacher tells a student that he thinks they could compete if they wanted to, it's considered a huge and rare compliment. The vast majority of people who go train at an MMA school go there to train practical martial arts, not to compete and brutalize each other like on cable.

We actually have a lot more women who do MMA than women I've seen who do Kendo and Kung Fu, so that should tell you a bit about the nature of the school. All types of people come to learn.

Use what works best to win the fight.
    I would be remiss to use the word 'win' or 'opponent' in my dojo and would likely be sternly corrected. If I fought in a tournament, I would not expect to be welcome again at my dojo.

I agree with his perception of the martial arts industry in the same way I agree with techniques. He is my teacher and I have little experience outside my dojo. One day I may disagree just as one day I may prefer different techniques to ones he teaches. For now, I thought it was a worthy perspective to add to the conversation.
    It's interesting that you make that point about your teacher having a problem with the words "win or defeating your opponent" in all the martial art schools I've practiced in the teachers were always warrior minded and they all enjoyed the thoughts of tournaments. One of my favorite Kendo teachers would yell during personal sparring matches;
    "After the cut, go straight through. Cut the fucker in half."
    And he meant it too, that was and is Kendo. We never used bamboo swords, to a dedicated Kendoka you held a blade and your mission was to kill your opponent in one cut. This was the mindset we were trained to have. But even with this mindset it was all an act of mutual respect. Even killing your opponent was respectful. Because your opponent chose to pick up the blade as well as you, so this engagement in combat, in a tournament was truly glorious and an occasion to cherish no matter who won or lose.
    Maybe I could draw a better distinction. In the view of my teacher (if I understand it correctly) would be something like this:

Not martial arts: Tournaments, ring fighting, cage matches, pay-per-view television, testosterone-driven environments.
    That gathering of testosterone and test of skill to see who could kill each other first was honorable, respectful, and completely natural to the minds of Kendoka. This is Kendo, probably the most traditional martial art around. Almost all Kendo dojos are competition orientated. More so than MMA schools.

Sumo and Kyukushin karate are like that too, and those two are much more physically dangerous than Kendo. These are all warrior arts that glorify competition. So to say that competition isn't martial arts is mostly just a personal bias. A lot of Kung Fu comes from mostly peaceful Shaolin philosophy, but there are many more martial arts besides that.

Competition is where your martial arts skills are truly tested to the very limit without you actually killing your opponent like a war would require you to. Even with Shaolin monks being mostly peaceful, there are many Kung Fu tournaments in China now days. It's not about ego, it's about testing your techniques to the very limit against someone else doing the same. And through competition is where you tend to learn your most powerful techniques. Because that is where the will to win will make you efficient at what works.

Martial arts: Meditation, partners-not-opponents, self-defense, any effective techniques from any "style", applying practice to your everyday life.

He has said that if you could press the "mute" button on most of the MMA studios he's been to, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and us. It's the way they frame their practice in words and attitude that makes all the difference. If you've found an "MMA" studio that truly operates differently than that then we're talking about the same thing. However if you say "MMA" to most people, I suspect their first thought is what you see on cable.
    The description of meditation, partners not opponents, self-defense, effective techniques is exactly what my MMA school is like. Though sometimes it does change from partner to opponent. This change happens when padding is put on. Once this happens you can tend to hit your partner like you would hit your opponent, this is training for realism. Of course though with your partners well being in mind, if there is pain, or injury you stop.

For the mute button thing, the loudest and most blood lusting martial art schools are probably Kendo. Even with MMA schools using Kiai with each strike, Kendoka are even louder and strike with way more killing intent, and this is traditional martial arts. The difference between kiai, and no kiai does not mean "good and bad". Both can be effective blows, but in my experience I do find that adding kiai to every strike will make it land harder for sure.

And well for the attitude of teachers and practitioners, I haven't ran into any night and day type attitudes in my time practicing martial arts under different teachers and with different students. All my teachers have been warriors, but also respectful, and they all had the same type of mind sets. None of them would put down the decision to fight in tournaments. Because that was an honorable endeavor. As for the students, all are different, the art doesn't make them, their mind makes them.

It could easily be an East Coast VS West Coast mentality too. Around the NYC area MMA is banned due to them thinking it's so brutal (all martial arts are brutal in competition). But here in SoCal we are the MMA capital of the U.S. and we welcome it and other martial arts with open arms. I think we tend to be more laid back people here in SoCal when it comes to anything a bit taboo, so long as no one dies and both parties are in agreement, usually people are cool with it.

• You may be learning 'self-discipline' AND even rudimentary meditation for the purpose of improved concentration AND of course you are doing physical exercise which is a good thing health wise AND your martial arts class may be a nice, supportive bunch of people AND you may even have a Buddha statue in the dojo ...

BUT

This is not Buddhism. Training to fight cannot lead to enlightenment because it fills your mind with conflict that does not even exist.

I say this as an ex-martial artist myself.

Namaste
    edited February 2011
    Buddhism compliments martial arts like milk compliments cereal. They aren't the same, but they work well together. Both are self building disciplines. Too much Buddhism, and love for purity means too much pride in being righteous. Too much enthusiasm for fighting and not enough mindfulness means possibility of violence or seriously hurting someone or yourself. They're love and war, mind and body. To be able to respect both love and war and to be able to cultivate both body and mind is balance.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Cereal needs milk; Buddhism does not need martial arts.

As you say yourself, martial arts is 'self-building'; Buddhism actually seeks to eradicate a self-centred view.

Namaste
  • The guy from the double rainbow youtube video did cage fighting. Its a really great video very funny (the double rainbow).
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Sometimes you have to fight. Sometimes you have to defend yourself and your loved ones. Sometimes you're surrounded by many bad seeds that can make it so you have higher chances to need to defend yourself over other people. Real street fights where both are evenly matched are quick and brutal, usually trips to the hospital. This is why martial arts originated, so fights could be won easily without you going to the hospital, or so you could win the war and go home.

If all martial arts stopped being about being able to fight effectively there would only be hippy Taichi and internal martial arts left. I love hippies, and internal martial arts, but martial arts are supposed to be yin and yang. Destruction and creation.

Any teacher who tells you to never fight is not teaching a warrior art. Martial arts descend from warrior disciplines. By practicing martial arts you should be prepared to fight. You should not go looking for fights with negative intention, but you should be ready for a fight if the time ever arrives. That is the difference. If you don't like the thought of being ready to fight, real martial arts are probably not your thing. But Taichi, internal kung fu, spiritual Qigong and yoga can be perfect. And while Taichi originated as martial art, there are styles of it now days that is just moving meditation like Qigong.

I don't want to sound too intense, but sometimes there is too much fundamentalist thinking from Buddhists that all martial arts should be loving kindness. This is not martial arts. Martial arts descend from war and now days they're used for many things. From being able to break people, to just making yourself a better person, all useful things.

There is a HUGE difference between "beating people up" and defending yourself, imo. Aikido is quite different in that regard. It is NOT used to "break people". It is used to defend yourself, while at the same time, to protect your opponent from serious injury. Sometimes you have to defend yourself, but rarely do you have to "fight". Causing harm to others should not be an enjoyable thing to do.