Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bob Proctor's The Secret...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
I don't know much about this, but it looks to be some sort of gimme yer money spirituality get-rich sort of scheme; but I've a friend whose getting into this:

This probably isn't the right forum for this sort of thing, but maybe it's the perfect forum to get some feedback.

What's your views?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Never read it although i know some people whom have and they said it was okay, although Its not going to be a methods to accomplish enlightenment mind you ;)
  • It's just a re-stating of "The Power of Positive Thinking".

I have known it help some people, but I also know many disabled and sick people who have felt very upset by its concepts that you can have everything you want just by being positive. Sickness is part of samsara, just like poverty and other misfortunes. It irritates me these people that claim to know the 'secret' (which isn't a secret, it's pop psychology mixed with made-up mysticism) but mysteriously don't go to Darfur or somewhere like that to share it. I think if I knew the secret to health, wealth and happiness I might be rather more 'evangelical' about it, and wouldn't need to charge, since obviously I'd already be rich.

Because of course the real secret is that if you can con a load of people into paying money for some mystical nonsense, you can get very rich indeed.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The pivotal role in achieving progress in all spheres, the Dhammapada declares, is played by the mind.The Dhammapada begins with an unequivocal assertion that mind is the forerunner of all that we are, the maker of our character, the creator of our destiny. The entire discipline of the Buddha, from basic morality to the highest levels of meditation, hinges upon training the mind. A wrongly directed mind brings greater harm than any enemy, a rightly directed mind brings greater good than any other relative or friend. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.intro.budd.html

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

The Secret is based on what is found in the 1st verse of the Dhammapada. Unfortunately the mind is being used to accumulate things which is contrary to what Buddhist teachings are all about.
  • For some years now I am undoing this “The Secret” nonsense by ignoring it completely.
    Now are you telling me it still exists?
    :banghead:
    I refuse to here it!

• I cannot access this video for the reason I am using the weaker of the 2 connections available to me, but I read above it is about gaining what you want. This in itself is something against the dharma, striving for something, is it not? Yes sure be positive, but keep in mind that life WILL throw you challenges, mountains to climb and sorrows to deal with. I ASSUME this so called secret has no place in buddhism
  • For some years now I am undoing this “The Secret” nonsense by ignoring it completely.
    Now are you telling me it still exists?
    :banghead:
    I refuse to here it!

I watched it and found it interesting. Also, I wonder what that wall is made of... it looks painful and repetitive!

• I watched it and found it interesting. Also, I wonder what that wall is made of... it looks painful and repetitive!
    Yes lol, there's really no wall at all.
    Enjoy the Secret!
  • It may be interesting, but so is what is inside my nostril. It doesn;t mean to say that it correlates to what the buddha taught.
  • I read this book a long time ago. Basically it talks about how our thoughts create our reality. So positive thoughts will bring a positive reality and negative thoughts bring about a positive reality.

If you want money, think about money and think positively about money. Etc.
    It's spiritual materialism at it's best. Lol.

Though it does have some truths like the idea that we make our reality by thinking.

But that means by our thinking we create all the problems in the world. Our thinking brings about famine, wars, etc.
    They don't go into this obviously, because hey you don't want to deal with all that. You want to think positively and make money and have all the sex you want lol.

Stick with Buddhism, it's been around longer and Buddhism points to nirvana.
    Nirvana is what we really want. Freedom from desires. Contentment.

With love.
  • Pretty much focussed on things we are attached to and attaining them. It supports greed and grasping the way I see it.

As far as metta is concerned, rather than wishing well on anyone else, it is all about wishing well on ourselves to the point where we make it an obsession.

The philosophy underlying is getting our desires met as a way to happiness. Buddhism focusses on being aware as a way to happiness. That awareness comes about by developing an open heart, not satisfying our greed.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Saw the title, and thought -
    "Oh Gawd, not this cr*p again....?"
  • Definitely agree with the Fede on this one - disappointed not to see; hogwash, claptrap or rubbish - but cr*p will do. The one that makes my lip curl is, "The Law of Attraction." Excuse me for having a closed mind if you will - this cowflop havers me no end.....
  • I wonder if those who follow the teachings of The Secret aka The Law of Attraction actually ever stop & spend time in the now? It seems to me that with all that striving you're always looking for a future (a "better" future at that) which must make for a very pressured life with no time to simply "be". I find that quite sad really. I also feel sad for those who never attain what they seek. What an enormous amount of stress to be under constantly. If you don't get what you're trying to attract, it means you have not attracted correctly so you're always at fault.

• The "secret" certainly has never been secret to me. It's a scam to sell DVD's, and it seems to be working just fine.
  • It may not be as accurate as other depictions... but its very easy to judge the other shore from the boat, even when we really needn't. Much of the new age philosophy is a pretty good bridge into something perhaps, more substantial?

Comparing/describing 'The Secret' as mucus or feces seems short sighted to me, and inaccurate. Even intolerant!

With warmth,

Matt
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Why needn't buddhist enthusiasts be critical of that which insubstantially misrepresents dharma on a buddhist site? If comparisons to excretions are unsavory - they are not inaccurate! Allowing that a terminally ill child may have "attracted" her own disease or death is as misguided a new age philosophy as can be imagined. Such philosophy is a discompassionate detour from dharma.

• There are many resonances. It would be accurate to say that a person who is suffering, does so because of their actions... even when it is unskillful to say so to the one who is suffering. Have you watched The Secret? It is ripe with seeds that could lead to greater awareness, beginning of relating to the mind, gaining detachment from our thoughts and so forth.

It may not be as pure as a lineaged teaching... but in western culture, with the many, many channels filled with ripe manure and the glorification of self and self-indulgence... why is something like this specifically a magnet for judgement? Because its not 'good enough'? Posh!
  • @aMatt my problem with "The Secret" is that it causes harm to people, particularly people who are sick or disabled and have been fed the line that they are responsible for being sick or disabled. I have found this particularly true of people with mental health difficulties, whose relatives or friends seem to think all it takes to cure mental illness is a video and/or a several hundred dollar course.

It isn't pure "lineaged teaching", but there's a reason why Buddhist respect lineaged teaching and are suspicious of stuff that isn't. And that is because it can be harmful. Telling someone they "make their own reality" when their reality is a version of hell, is hardly compassionate. And it is wrong-thinking because it totally omits the major part of Buddhist teaching, which is that we can be free of suffering. Not sickness, or disability, but suffering, which is quite a different thing to believing you can wish-away the bad stuff.

In fact, it is more empowering than that because the Dharma teaches us that if we can think, and nothing else, even though our body has pain, our minds may not suffer.
  • There are many resonances. It would be accurate to say that a person who is suffering, does so because of their actions... even when it is unskillful to say so to the one who is suffering. Have you watched The Secret? It is ripe with seeds that could lead to greater awareness, beginning of relating to the mind, gaining detachment from our thoughts and so forth.

It may not be as pure as a lineaged teaching... but in western culture, with the many, many channels filled with ripe manure and the glorification of self and self-indulgence... why is something like this specifically a magnet for judgement? Because its not 'good enough'? Posh!
    Posh, indeed. Perhaps "The Secret" has "attracted" the judgement with which it is debunked. The naivete with which this gimmick is perceived is completely devoid of recognition of the concept of emptiness and has everything to do with - as pointed out about other paths - the glorification of self and the perception of the inherent self dictating reality. "Not good enough" is an understatement. "Not even close..." is more likely. Snake oil.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Look at the guy's surname.

Proctor.
    Just a few letters away from being a Proctologist.

it's clear the guy is talking out of his a$$, but people will buy bulls**t if you wrap it up in a fancy package...
  • I am astounded! Remember that judgement is like anger, sometimes it feels righteous to hold, yet only harms the one holding it.

After I watched the secret I shrugged, thinking it was for those whose awareness was very entangled in western culture. I wouldn't consider your strong reactions benificial to anyone.
    I'm not in the slightest bit angry.
    And it's not judgement, it's opinion.
    I truly an of the opinion that this guy is a glorified scam artist, riding on the success-tails of wisdom already gone before, re-bundling it and packaging it like some shangri-La promised land assurance.
    Success with anything takes time and effort, and there are no short cuts.
    My strong reactions weren't given for anyone's benefit. People can take or leave it as they choose. I have expressed my opinion.
    If it offends you, I'm afraid that's your bag, not mine. :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I'm not in the slightest bit angry.
    And it's not judgement, it's opinion.
    I truly an of the opinion that this guy is a glorified scam artist, riding on the success-tails of wisdom already gone before, re-bundling it and packaging it like some shangri-La promised land assurance.
    Success with anything takes time and effort, and there are no short cuts.
    My strong reactions weren't given for anyone's benefit. People can take or leave it as they choose. I have expressed my opinion.
    If it offends you, I'm afraid that's your bag, not mine. :)
    I personally like how you broke his name down.
    Thanks!
    I appreciate your opinion and everyone else's!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It reminds me of something one of the head folks at kraft said. He said, essentially, that Kraft does make a lot of high fat foods. He doesn't personally like that, and obesity is a huge problem in the west. So, if they remove the saturated fat in a food, but therefore only 1% of the population purchase it, they might remove 50,000 grams of fat from the population. However, if they take a food and reduce the fat by 15% and 50% of the population buy it, they're removing 500 million grams of fat from the population.

While it might seem like the fat free food is the better choice to produce, creating something that is attractive to the western audience, but more fatty, perhaps is worth more than condescension and judgment. Perhaps its even quite a skillful bridge.

Do you think a movie called "Sati" or "Sammā-Sati" would have made it to Oprah?
  • i think if they removed all the fat they'd go broke and that is the motivating factor!!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2011
    The Secret is just repackaged Dr. Peale "Power of Positive Thinking." It takes more than just thinking good thoughts to live a happy, successful life. These courses make most of their money off business retreats, where captive audiences are told complaints and doubts about what their bosses tell them to do is a sin, that failure is their own fault. In other words, it's all about creating a workforce that doesn't complain and blames themselves for not meeting unrealistic corporate goals.

Psychologists have lots of criticisms about this type of teaching, like it tries to teach people that every failure and setback in life must be your own fault. Conversely, that means rich, powerful people must be living and thinking the right way, no matter how they acquired their position or money. It's wealth as virtue. Of course the upper class management loves the philosophy. It reinforces their ego.

Buddhism teaches that this attachment to success and positive thoughts is just another attachment.

• It reminds me of something one of the head folks at kraft said. He said, essentially, that Kraft does make a lot of high fat foods. He doesn't personally like that, and obesity is a huge problem in the west. So, if they remove the saturated fat in a food, but therefore only 1% of the population purchase it, they might remove 50,000 grams of fat from the population. However, if they take a food and reduce the fat by 15% and 50% of the population buy it, they're removing 500 million grams of fat from the population.

While it might seem like the fat free food is the better choice to produce, creating something that is attractive to the western audience, but more fatty, perhaps is worth more than condescension and judgment. Perhaps its even quite a skillful bridge.

Do you think a movie called "Sati" or "Sammā-Sati" would have made it to Oprah?
    Kraft singles:

Ingredients: Cheddar cheese, milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), enzymes, vitamin D3, cheese culture, yellow dye.

At first glance, the fat content here is not the first thing that bothers me. What bothers me is that fat is normal in a human diet, and as westerners (Americans, particularly) we tend to care mre about fat content and less about additives and such. Not to mention the milk (hormones, antibiotics), although this seems to be changing.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I practiced the secret when it was still a secret, and it does work. But i was never heavy into materialism and so didn't use it much for that. There is a Buddhist group that uses it by chanting for what they desire, and for most part they get what they desire. But when I was in that group, if someone didn't get what they desired, they were told that they were not chanting correctly. Whatever correctly was. Still, I used it even before reading the book Creative Thinking by Shakti Gawin too. And I think Peale's book is excellent. If people spent time thinking positive thoughts, they would be happier; it can even cure severe depression in people; I know this as a personal fact. I could certainly use some more positive thinking in my life at this moment since I have had some friendship issues lately. But what I personally knock about the book is that they are mainly interested in material gain and not in learning how to be kinder towards others. And when I learn this myself I won't be getting angry at friends who are mean to me and then creating more problems, but instead I will just quietly move away from them.

And what is wrong with the teaching that it is all our fault? That is what Buddhism teaches in the form of karma.

• I practiced the secret when it was still a secret, and it does work. But i was never heavy into materialism and so didn't use it much for that. There is a Buddhist group that uses it by chanting for what they desire, and for most part they get what they desire. But when I was in that group, if someone didn't get what they desired, they were told that they were not chanting correctly. Whatever correctly was. Still, I used it even before reading the book Creative Thinking by Shakti Gawin too. And I think Peale's book is excellent. If people spent time thinking positive thoughts, they would be happier; it can even cure severe depression in people; I know this as a personal fact. I could certainly use some more positive thinking in my life at this moment since I have had some friendship issues lately. But what I personally knock about the book is that they are mainly interested in material gain and not in learning how to be kinder towards others. And when I learn this myself I won't be getting angry at friends who are mean to me and then creating more problems, but instead I will just quietly move away from them.

And what is wrong with the teaching that it is all our fault? That is what Buddhism teaches in the form of karma.

"Now this, O bhikkhus, is the noble truth concerning the origin of suffering: Verily, it is that craving which causes the renewal of existence, accompanied by sensual delight, seeking satisfaction now here, now there, the craving for the gratification of the passions, the craving for a future life, and the craving for happiness in this life. This, then, O bhikkhus, is the noble truth concerning the origin of suffering."

Buddhism teaches that being subject to karma means being stuck in a wheel of suffering, and that the Middle Way is a path of liberation from karma. That's a point often overlooked in the West.

Buddhism teaches that we are responsible for our own suffering, not our own fates. Buddhism teaches that this clinging to selfish desires is what's causing our suffering. The fact that we sometimes get what we want is completely irrelevant. It's still fleeting, impermanent, part of the problem, not the solution. Think only positive thoughts, get everything you ever wanted, and you are still suffering. No, my friend, this "Secret" is a dead end.

Because it's just not true. All the positive thoughts in the world cannot keep suffering and loss from your life. Certainly a positive attitude helps.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I practiced the secret when it was still a secret, and it does work. But i was never heavy into materialism and so didn't use it much for that. There is a Buddhist group that uses it by chanting for what they desire, and for most part they get what they desire. But when I was in that group, if someone didn't get what they desired, they were told that they were not chanting correctly. Whatever correctly was. Still, I used it even before reading the book Creative Thinking by Shakti Gawin too. And I think Peale's book is excellent. If people spent time thinking positive thoughts, they would be happier; it can even cure severe depression in people; I know this as a personal fact. I could certainly use some more positive thinking in my life at this moment since I have had some friendship issues lately. But what I personally knock about the book is that they are mainly interested in material gain and not in learning how to be kinder towards others. And when I learn this myself I won't be getting angry at friends who are mean to me and then creating more problems, but instead I will just quietly move away from them.

i think we may have been in the same buddhist group. :) and yes, i could see a lot of parallels between "the secret" and chanting for benefits. i do believe that there is something to be said for the psychological aspect to it, but i also believe that it is similar to something Albert Einstein once said, "There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle." simply put, is the effect really a result of positive thinking and/or chanting, or is the effect simply being attributed to it because you happen to believe in it?

i support this belief 100% when you discuss the psychological aspect of positive thinking in relation to how this effects your actions (and by proxy, whether or not you receive benefits). but when i was in this group, it was explained to me that what we chanted was "the mystic law" of the universe. it was said that it permeated everything and everyone, and therefore, was like a magical incantation... simply put, it was not just positive thinking. and just like The Secret, once you start attributing mystical powers to it... that's when i fell off the boat, lol.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Buddhism teaches that we are responsible for our own suffering, not our own fates. Buddhism teaches that this clinging to selfish desires is what's causing our suffering. The fact that we sometimes get what we want is completely irrelevant. It's still fleeting, impermanent, part of the problem, not the solution. Think only positive thoughts, get everything you ever wanted, and you are still suffering. No, my friend, this "Secret" is a dead end.

Because it's just not true. All the positive thoughts in the world cannot keep suffering and loss from your life. Certainly a positive attitude helps.
    wonderful. perfect. thank you :)

"Buddhism teaches that we are responsible for our own suffering, not our own fates."
    simply wonderful.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    No, my friend, this "Secret" is a dead end.

So, The Secret helps?

There are dead ends? I think only The Eightfold Path is one with an end.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    'The Secret' preys on base emotions (fear, greed) for profit.

As for its practical uses, positive thinking is a very limited tool that will only get you so far.