Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Monastic Life--A "Dead End"?

2»

Comments

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    I think the key statement in the quote is "the essence." I assume this is to mean "the truth." Many paths may lead to the truth but none are the truth itself. Finger pointing at the moon. Kind of a confusing passage. I wonder if it has been properly translated.
    I agree. I think Mr Batchelor is misunderstanding or misrepresenting here. (It wouldn't be the first time he'd done that.)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    jll are you a monk :)
  • @jll

sutric reference still missing.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Theres no reason for additional misery if you are not a monk.

Not all have leisure and endowment. Not all are interested in improving life. Not all are interested in the dharma. Not all wish to escape the cycle of birth and death. Not all wish for liberation for all beings. Not all study the dharma. Not all take refuge. Not all have a teacher. Not all are monastics. Not all are senior monastics. Not all are bodhisattvas. Not all are arhats. Not all are buddhas.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Theres no reason for additional misery if you are not a monk.
    Are you suggesting, then, that there is a reason for additional misery if you are a monk?

Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    not being a monk I don't know
  • Seems the intellectuals always get attached the Metaphysics and "word play" side of things without appreciting "actual practice" side of things when it comes to the Buddhism.
  • edited July 2011
    What some see as the distractions of lay life, others view as opportunities to practice the Dharma.
    Some of the Buddha's householder-followers became enlightened. Many monks didn't. The monastic life doesn't guarantee anything. It's more about devotion and how seriously one takes one's practice.

Wise point, N-a-G, by the way. Householders and monastics are both needed, like a symbiotic relationship.