Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Making Meditation Meaningful

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in Meditation
How I meditate zazen style is:

I sit in a kind of reverse half-lotus, with my left foot under my right thigh and my right foot under my left knee.

I sit with the traditional zazen hand mudra.

I sit on two pillows on the ground in front of my little alter (Buddha statue, candles, etc) with some soft, Eastern-style music playing to block out the noisy outside world.

I sit with my eyes clothed and focus on my breathing, counting with every breathe. I count to 4 and then repeat until I can focus without counting.

Is this okay? And how do I make this spiritually meaningful, if you know what I mean? Am I supposed to try to be aware of something? Or what...? I've always been told to just focus on being calm. Should I try to focus on being mindful and then try to carry this state of mind onto my everyday life? ??? :confused:

Comments

• Meditation doesn't even have to be so formal. We get caught up in the idea of meditating, but its heart is mindfulness. Sitting meditation is being mindful while sitting. Walking meditation is being mindful while walking. I used to meditate lying down before sleeping! ;)

I would suggest trying to be mindful 24/7. Be the awareness that is watching thoughts arise, sights arise, sounds arise... and everything pass in its time. Not you, not permanent, just temporary conditioned phenomena with no essence.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    awake - an intention to awaken and see/behave appropriately and compassionately; naturally awake

heart - note that your experience affects you mind and body. Return to this if you forget what you are doing and why you are doing it

present - open to the present moment and the immediacy. Not looking to figure something out or be somewhere else.

open - open hearted and vulnerable to being touched. Open to the universe. Vaster than what you think.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    It may not make a huge difference, but my zen teachers have taught us to meditate with our eyes open. Unfocused, soft eyes. A bit easier to do in Soto Zen, where we sit facing the wall. My current teacher says that we should change our focus from the visual to the aural. We should be aware of the sounds around us, without discriminating them. i.e. be aware of the sound of the seagull cawing - without identifying it as a seagull or how many there are etc.
  • Maybe don't try to "make it meaningful". Just let it be what it is, and it will become meaningful without your willing it to be so.

It's like surfing. Sometimes you catch a good wave and sometimes you don't. You have no control over it.

And you have no control over the meaningfulness of meditation- it happens by itself.

• Thats what I meant when I said space.. The space is already there for your meditation. You just align with that space and decide to meditate. From that space all possibilities may arise and whatever comes up does. Then that is the experience to be mindful of.
  • Pema Chodron said once that she is lousy at meditation and always has been. She said she has come to accept that fact.

I think the idea is to accept whatever comes to your mind, and then let it pass. You asked if you are supposed to be aware of something. Yes, whatever it is at that moment you should be aware of and acknowledge.

If you have a itchy spot, think "feeling itchy..." if you are distracted think "feeling distracted...". If you are just sitting quietly thinking nothing, that's great too. The idea is to be aware of whatever it is, good or bad, seemingly meaningful or not, and then move on from that thought. Being AWARE of the present moment IS what's meaningful. That's mindfulness.

At first it feels awkward and pointless. But you're training your mind to be aware of the moment. So all those little moments that you are aware of while meditating will eventually follow you into your everyday life and practice as you learn to become aware of everything at each present moment, even while not meditating.

• What has your experience been like? What is it that you find lacking?

How long are you sessions?

And are you willing to do do Theravada practices or are you strictly Zen?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Am I supposed to try to be aware of something? Or what...? I've always been told to just focus on being calm. Should I try to focus on being mindful and then try to carry this state of mind onto my everyday life? ??? :confused:

The idea is to calm the mind in order to see more clearly what's going on.

P
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Maybe don't try to "make it meaningful". Just let it be what it is, and it will become meaningful without your willing it to be so.
    I think that’s good advice.

Personally I would switch off the music.
    The noisy outside world is something we have to get used to.

In everyday life you can try to focus on your breath, every now and then.
  • Don't do anything. Don't even try to not do anything. Just be present.
  • You seem to be on the rite track. If you can sit still and your mind is not running off in 10 different directions, you are making progress. You will not be levitating anytime soon. It took me ages to achieve that.
    Do you keep the 5 precepts ? Morality is a big part of Buddhism. You may wish to find a teacher to guide you.