Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness and Multitasking

elenagreeneelenagreene Explorer
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I recently read Thich Nhat Hanh's MIRACLE OF MINDFULNESS, which I thought was wonderful but I'm still working on how to apply the ideas.

I understand is beneficial to focus, as in the example he gives of washing the dishes without thinking ahead to what you're going to do next. He also writes that if a friend speaks to you during a walking meditation, you should try not to be irritated and instead extend your focus to include the walking, the breathing and the friend. What I find difficult is the latter.

My life (caregiver to stroke survivor and mother of two school-aged kids, among other things) means there are times I need to multitask to get things done and have time left for things like sleep. I am wondering how to maintain mindfulness while doing multiple activities. When I try to do things mindfully, sometimes I lose track of something else (possibly something my husband or children need to be doing, or need me to help them with).

Should I try to extend my mindfulness to cover the multiple tasks? Or should I try to focus on the more important stuff (family) and allow myself to continue doing humdrum household things on autopilot?

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Elena,

Just do your best and remember to smile. :)

Metta,

Guy
  • Mindfulness would be noticing when you have to pay attention to one thing and then letting that go when you need to switch to another. The mindfulness comes in because you are not caught in an idea. Such as the idea of the future washing dishes. Or the idea that meditation should not have distractions.

Easy for me to say, best wishes..
  • Howdy, Elena!

I don't have two children and someone to care for in that way, but I understand avoiding "autopilot" probably seems very difficult.

Embrace the process of what you are doing. Thich Nhat Hanh's work is a great place to give direction in your practice of doing this. Don't wash the dishes to finish washing the dishes. Wash the dishes to wash the dishes. Embrace "what is", instead of the concept of "what it is supposed to be".

So in that sense, I would try to apply mindfulness of the present moment in everything, instead of in just one place. But one place would also be a good place to start, perhaps!

Take care, and best wishes to you!
  • Thanks for the suggestions and kind words!

I'm going to keep trying to be mindful of whichever tasks I am doing, just trying not to second-guess myself on the completed ones or worry about what is upcoming.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I recently read Thich Nhat Hanh's MIRACLE OF MINDFULNESS, which I thought was wonderful but I'm still working on how to apply the ideas.
    Mindfulness basically just means paying attention to what's going on. So if you're thinking about other stuff while washing the dishes, just be aware that's the case. No big thing, we all do it. ;-)

P

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Elena -- Sometimes life can feel overwhelming and certainly there are a lot of people who believe and are willing to expound the doctrine of "multi-tasking," but the plain fact is that multi-tasking is nonsense. How many things can anyone actually do at one time? Your mind and mine may whimper and whine and whiz with the overwhelming nature of things, but that doesn't change the facts. So-called mindfulness just means sticking with the facts, with entering the 'moment' that cannot be escaped.

It isn't always easy, but I guess that's why Buddhism is sometimes referred to as a discipline.

Good luck and best wishes in your good efforts.
  • Genkaku, I totally agree re the multi-tasking. I know there are people who are proud of how many things they juggle but I would rather, when possible, give loving attention to a single task at a time. That's why I keep a prioritised To Do List (family is important, dust bunnies not so much). Otherwise I'd be continuously fretting about stuff I'm not doing and not focusing on the task at hand.

Anyway, I've found that some multi-tasking is unavoidable and this is where I get into trouble. When I'm doing housework, disability paperwork, etc..., I'm also keeping track of whether three other people are doing what they need to be doing (speech therapy, homework, etc...) and helping them as needed. It means I need to somehow keep a broader focus on what is going on throughout the household and accept frequent interruptions.

Still working on it, but thanks for all the ideas!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    It means I need to somehow keep a broader focus on what is going on throughout the household and accept frequent interruptions.
    Developing mindfulness will help with that.

P
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I think multi-tasking would tend to derail mindfulness. difficult to juggle all those things at once and give them equal attention. maybe with discipline and practice it can be done, but you can't really enjoy an activity if you have to divide your attention among many at once. studies show that quality of endeavor suffers when multi-tasking. can multi-mindfulness overcome that? maybe THN can pull it off, I don't know.
    Elena -- I hear you but as my mother once said, "Don't get too holy by next Thursday." Everyone runs into situations where the demands seem to come at us from all sides. But together with those demands comes our own expectation that we can and should meet them with a perfected kool and competence. Well, horsefeathers! We meet circumstances as best we may ... but there's no saying we can't lighten the load a little by keeping a close watch on the expectations ... which are clearly extra. Expectations exist in the future, and since no one can know the future, the expectations are (on good days) silly. By keeping an eye on them, the useless qualities of expectations can become more apparent and their nagging insistence dwindles. Not overnight, perhaps, but a little at a time.

Hang in there, be patience, and if all else fails take a George Carlin break. I am referring to the seven-dirty-words riff: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1820525 ... caution -- those with sensitive ears should refrain. The rest of you can laugh.
  • What, do you mean Buddhists don't have to be perfect? :)
    Trying to be perfect is easy. Actualizing your perfection takes a bit more work.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    In addition to genkaku's sagely advice I would add: The first step towards perfection is embracing imperfection; to develop loving acceptance towards yourself 100% no matter what your perceived faults may be.
  • That's a good reminder, GuyC! Thanks.
  • Hi Elena,

When we multi-task we are actually switching from one task to another task very quickly. It has it's benefits and the mind does this very well. Perhaps too well. We have a natural tendency to overdue it and switch to thoughts of future activities (goals) and past experiences (memories) that are not relevant. When we do this we are missing what is real and important - the present moment.

A long time ago when I was learning about mindfulness the example of pealing a potato mindfully was used.
    When you peal a potato really pay attention to all of the little things that are going on. The feel of the water, the smells, etc. Do not space out switching to other thoughts of past or future. Just simply concentrate on the activity of pealing the potato. Ever sense whenever I peal a potato, I practice being mindful. Funny thing is I really enjoy the activity of pealing a potato now. :)
  • Hi SeaofTranquility.
    Thanks for your thoughts. My problem is that I do enjoy mindfully peeling potatoes. But whenever I allow myself to do that, something else in the household goes awry. Either someone isn't doing his/her homework, the laundry isn't getting moved, snow not shoveled, husband not doing physical therapy as he should, etc... If this goes on for too long, everyone gets frustrated and we may end up staying up later at night trying to finish things that could have been done earlier. This is what I'm still working on: trying to stay aware of more of what is going on throughout the whole household, beyond the task I myself am doing, but without worrying about past and future but just what everyone is doing in the here and now. It's not easy and I am not good at it yet.
    Elena -- It's like getting to Carnegie Hall ... practice, practice, practice.
  • Hi Elena,

It sounds like stress. Looking back through this tread, I do not find any mention of your formal meditation practice.

A daily meditation routine is a great stress reliever. When we meditate we practice being aware and letting go of thoughts as they arise. The benefits of calming the mind carry over into our busy and hectic lives off the cushion.

Sometimes accomplishing tasks that seem extremely important at the time really are not all that important in the big scheme of things. Perhaps just letting go and the resulting peace of mind would be the best thing. What do they say, " Not to tight and not to loose." It's a balancing act.

Best wishes
  • Thanks, Genkaku. You have been very kind.

SeaOfTranquility, I should've mentioned that I get up about an hour before the rest of my family to exercise, journal and meditate. I manage this most days and when I do, it definitely helps get me through the day. I still have ups and downs. I am guessing that is normal, what you call the balancing act. Thanks!
  • Another consideration...

At the advanced level, i.e., for cultivators of high spiritual capacity, the Pure Land method, like other methods, reverts the ordinary, deluded mind to the Self-Nature True Mind.9 In the process, wisdom and Buddhahood are eventually attained.

This is exemplified by the following advice of the eminent Zen master Chu Hung
    (Jap. Shuko), one of the three “Dragon-Elephants” of 16th-17th century China:

Right now you simply must recite the buddha-name with purity and illumination.
    Purity means reciting the buddha-name without any other thoughts.
    Illumination means reflecting back as you recite the buddha-name. Purity
    is sammata, “stopping.” Illumination is vipasyana, “observing.” Unify your
    mindfulness of buddha through buddha-name recitation, and stopping and
    observing are both present. (J.C. Cleary, Pure Land, Pure Mind.)
    As stated in Buddhism of Wisdom and Faith (Section 18):

If we have the roots and the temperament of Mahayana followers, we should naturally understand that the goal of Buddha Recitation is to achieve Buddhahood ... Why is it that the goal of Buddha Recitation is to become a Buddha?

It is because, as we begin reciting, the past, present and future have lost their
    distinction, marks exist but they have been left behind, form is emptiness,
    thought is the same as No-Thought, the realm of the Original Nature “apart
    from thought” of the Tathagata has been penetrated. This state is Buddhahood;
    what else could it be?

This high-level form of Pure Land is practiced by those of deep spiritual capacities: “when the mind is pure, the Buddha land is pure ... to recite the Buddha’s name is to recite the Mind.” Thus, at the advanced level, Pure Land is Zen, Zen is Pure Land.
  • Thanks, Disney, I will ponder that.
  • Disney, send that over to Meh on his "Totally lost" thread.

As for me, I am going to do precisely as you wrote right now while I "Om Amitaba Hum" myself to sleep...