Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama steps down as Tibetan leader

DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter
Updated 2 hours 4 minutes ago

Dalai Lama set to retire from exiled government

The Dalai Lama has announced he is stepping down as political leader of the Tibetan government in exile.

He says the time has come for his replacement by a "freely elected" leader.

The Dalai Lama, whose more significant role is as the movement's spiritual leader, said he would seek an amendment allowing him to resign his political office when the exiled Tibetan parliament meets next week.

"My desire to devolve authority has nothing to do with a wish to shirk responsibility," he said in an address in Dharamshala, the seat of the Tibetan government in exile in northern India.

"It is to benefit Tibetans in the long run. It is not because I feel disheartened."

The Dalai Lama was 15 when he was appointed head of state in 1950 after Chinese troops moved into Tibet. He fled his homeland in 1959 after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

The 75-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner has long talked of stepping down from what is a largely ceremonial role, while maintaining his more important position as the spiritual figurehead of the Tibetan movement.

"As early as the 1960s, I have repeatedly stressed that Tibetans need a leader, elected freely by the Tibetan people, to whom I can devolve power," he said.

"Now, we have clearly reached the time to put this into effect."

In his address marking the anniversary of the 1959 uprising, the Dalai Lama made it clear he would not be withdrawing from the political struggle and remained "committed to playing my part in the just cause of Tibet".

Despite his advancing age and several health scares, the Dalai Lama maintains a punishing travel schedule as the global face of the Tibetan struggle.

Spiritual and secular loyalty to his leadership is steadfast and he is the adhesive that binds together the various factions within the movement, some of whom favour a more radical agenda than the Dalai Lama's non-violent campaign for autonomy within the Chinese state.

In today's speech, the Dalai Lama said he had received "repeated and earnest" appeals from inside and outside Tibet to provide continued political leadership.

The London-based International Campaign for Tibet said the Dalai Lama's announcement underlined his democratic credentials.

"In contrast to those long-serving autocrats who have been much in the news, the Dalai Lama is the rare visionary who is willingly divesting power to his people," said ICT president Mary Beth Markey.

"His decision, based on the maturation of Tibetan democracy in exile, deserves both accolades and support."

- AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/10/3160669.htm

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I personally feel this is a wise move.
    Separation of powers is by far the most logical and sensible course of action to follow.
  • I'd be surprised if China didn't use this opportunity to put in a puppet somehow.
  • Is it just me, or is there something else HHDL is hinting at?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's just you. :p

@Shift, I think that's why he's doing it. To pre-empt Chinese action.....
  • federica, how would this help?
  • Haha @federica

I have heard of many stories of lamas rescinding their authority or retiring from their careers, only to pass on a few weeks/months later. It's their way of writing a will. So as someone who calls HHDL a guru and as someone who tries to practice whatever HHDL teaches, I cannot help but feel a bit worried.

And the point of pre-empting Chinese action is very valid.
    dorje, I do hope you are wrong on that score, I'm sure the Dalai Lama is being well looked after and is in relatively good health for a man of his age and responsibilities.
    I know he has had health problems, but I think they have been manageable, and that everything is under good control, now....
    I really do think he is acting while everything is fine, to avoid confusion, dissent and upheaval later through lack of planning.
    rather like the adage:
    "Plan ahead - it wasn't actually raining yet, when Noah built the ark....."
    federica, how would this help?
    by installing a new political leader, this sends a message to the Chinese that there are now "two" problems for them to deal with, not "one".

By separating the duties/responsibilities, political negotiation with China can be done on an equal, non-religiously fuelled position, and politics can get the "guns" out, whereas before, a Spiritual leader had to be more placid, passive and compassionately considerate.
    In short, Politics will not be hindered by a conflict of interests.
    as to a Spiritual Leader, the Chinese may well try to impose their own choice of Dalai Lama, but the overall impact of this will not be as significant, as if the Dalai Lama was also still the political leader.
    I think it's a clever move.

• dorje, I do hope you are wrong on that score, I'm sure the Dalai Lama is being well looked after and is in relatively good health for a man of his age and responsibilities.
    I know he has had health problems, but I think they have been manageable, and that everything is under good control, now....
    I really do think he is acting while everything is fine, to avoid confusion, dissent and upheaval later through lack of planning.
    rather like the adage:
    "Plan ahead - it wasn't actually raining yet, when Noah built the ark....."
    I hope and pray I'm wrong too.
  • Ok, thanks for the reply.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    Pardon me. Why would you call it a "puppet"? It's widely recognised that Tibet is part of China.

Be discerning of what you read from some Western media. Both the Chinese and the West have their own agenda.
    I'd be surprised if China didn't use this opportunity to put in a puppet somehow.
  • I didn't care much about Tibet until I visited China and HK. Let's not get into that in this thread though. This is about the Dalai Lama and his proposed reform.
  • Lostie- Tibet was an independent country until the Chinese invaded in the 1950's. It hasn't been long recognized that Tibet is part of China. Up until this point, Tibet, although just plain militarily conquered by China in the 1950's, has agreed to be an "Autonomous Region" of China (from the conquest until now), but Tibet is ethnically and culturally distinct from China and was recognized as independent until the 1950's. Otherwise the Chinese would not have had to invade and conquer. What happened during the Chinese Cultural Revolution was pretty awful too.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    This is good move on behalf of His Holiness, I think for anyone to have any successful dialoge with the chinese it has to be someone else, someone not in monks robes and seeing as the history of the Dalai lama's from the 4th onwards isnt very pleasent im delighted.
  • Why is the Dalai Lama attached to Tibet?
  • Tibet is culturally, ethnically, linguistically and ideologically different from China and many of its neighbors. The closest relatives of the Tibetans are the Mongolians and maybe the Koreans. They are not even close to the Chinese at all. Maybe only remotely related.

The main reason I can think of why the China occupies Tibet is it's strategic location. Controlling Tibet means having a military advantage against its neighbors on her Western side, thus giving them greater political power geographically.
    Why is the Dalai Lama attached to Tibet?
    Is this a serious question?
    I mean, really, is it??
    Yiming rhymes with chiming as in "chiming in."

Is this a serious question?
    I mean, really, is it??
    You beat me to it Fed... You are on the job.

• You beat me to it Fed... You are on the job.

Hey sndy, did I say something wrong? Fed seems incredulous.
    I thought attachment is not kosher for Buddhist types. Tibet is as big
    a deal as Taiwan to China. Two dogs fighting over a bone. And Fed is incredulous?
    Come on, people. Are we Buddhists or what?
  • yiming, what are you talking about?
  • Hey shift. Are you incredulous too?
  • incredulous of what?
  • Incredulous that I would question the Dalai Lama's attachment to Tibet.
  • edited March 2011
    I suggest you read up and understand what Tibet and the Dalai Lama lineage is about before you open your mouth to put your foot in.
  • I am just trying to understand what you're saying. He should just abandon Tibet and all the people who rely on him? Hand it all over to China?

• You beat me to it Fed... You are on the job.

Hey sndy, did I say something wrong? Fed seems incredulous.
    I thought attachment is not kosher for Buddhist types. Tibet is as big
    a deal as Taiwan to China. Two dogs fighting over a bone. And Fed is incredulous?
    Come on, people. Are we Buddhists or what?
    I think you wish to provoke, which is fine on this forum. However, HHDL is a revered figure for many and your flippant and disingenuous style can only lead to your being shunned. If you wish to speak/poke fun of attachment , create a thread. But do not use HHDL as the example. It is in bad taste.
  • @yiming
    do you mean you should detach youself from your parents and not care about them? same to your children?
  • Awwww Geeez. I hate it when stuff like this happens! OK, OK, I'll work on it. Start working on adjusting to the change. I'll do the homework and figure out the good potential which lies ahead. Duh
  • edited March 2011
    "Two dogs fighting over a bone."

???

Two peoples fighting for a way of life? Do you know what actually happened to the Tibetan people when the Chinese invaded and during the Cultural Revolution?
    @yiming, seriously, I'd quit while you're behind.
    I understand what you're saying about detachment, but this issue is a political time-bomb, and shook the very core of Tibetan civilisation. it's been a massive issue regarding Human Rights since the 1950's. The inhuman, barbaric and abominable treatment meted out to Tibetans by the Chinese is something that cannot simply be dealt with by 'detachment'.

Really, wise up.

Your comments are entirely inappropriate, misguided and to say they're simplistic is a gross understatement. "ignorance" doesn't cover it.....
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Maybe when the transfer happens, HHDL can finally concentrate on just Buddhism. :) I'm sure that alone will be enough, since he'd still be working for human rights and such as he does.
  • Maybe when the transfer happens, HHDL can finally just concentrate on Buddhism. :)
    That's what he says he wants to do.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Thank you HH Dalai Lama. You did the right thing.
  • I didn't care much about Tibet until I visited China and HK. Let's not get into that in this thread though. This is about the Dalai Lama and his proposed reform.
    Start a separate thread, Shift. I'm interested in hearing about your experiences.

While we can hope for the best, we must acknowledge that the report said he had had several health "scares", not merely "problems". For decades now, his doctors have been urging him to cut back significantly on his international travel, and he's refused to do so. He has ended up in the hospital more than once, under critical care. This isn't what I'd call "manageable". But let's hope that he surprises everyone and carries on for another decade or more.

As far as Tibet being "widely recognized" as independent prior to the 1950's, I'm not sure that's true. Westerners who were schooled in the earlier part of the 20th Century learned that Tibet was part of China. Sure, Tibet had its own currency, issued its own stamps. But this is a murky question. One reason the West didn't come to Tibet's aid is that the matter was open to question, and of course, no one wanted to take on the PLA.
    Tibet is culturally, ethnically, linguistically and ideologically different from China and many of its neighbors. The closest relatives of the Tibetans are the Mongolians and maybe the Koreans. They are not even close to the Chinese at all. Maybe only remotely related..
    The question of Tibetans' ethnogenesis is much more complex than this. Sedentary Tibetans are related to the Chinese. The nomads, around the northern and eastern periphery of old Tibet are a mix of ancient Indo-European or Iranian, and Altaic (Turko-Mongol). Genetic studies have confirmed what Tibetologists have been saying for generations. The language also reflects this North Asian/South Asian split; the grammar is Altaic while most of the vocab and of course the tonal system are related to Chinese.

Yah, let's not divert too far off topic, folks.....:)
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    now the Chinese say he MUST re-incarnate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110307/wl_nm/us_china_npc_tibet

• jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    in retrospect, i hope i didn't hijack this thread. sorry!
  • now the Chinese say he MUST re-incarnate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110307/wl_nm/us_china_npc_tibet

That's very lame on the part of the Chinese.

• I have a stupid question. Will HH still be considered the Spiritual Leader? Or will the newly elected political leader take on that role??
  • He is recognized by three generations of Tibetans as the spiritual leader.
  • Yes, but will he still be considered the spiritual leader after he resigns? That was my question.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Yes, of course. He's only resigning from his political position. He's still the reincarnation of all previous Dalai Lamas.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Yes, of course. He's only resigning from his political position. He's still the reincarnation of all previous Dalai Lamas.
    I certainly hope so !
  • Yes, of course. He's only resigning from his political position. He's still the reincarnation of all previous Dalai Lamas.
    I just wasn't sure if the roles were interrelated that's all; I don't know a lot about the politics of Tibet. Excuse me....

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well, they were interrelated, but HHDL is separating them. But he's still a spiritual leader, and he's very devoted to that role.
  • I'm going to be quite controversial here.

HHDL is obviously a wise and honourable human being who shows compassion which is beyond comprehension of most of us. He has a sense of humour, something that most religious leaders seem to lack. He is up there with Gandhi, Steve Biko and others, who represent the best side of humanity.

Yet, is it wise to accept blindly that he is the reincarnation of all previous Dalai Lamas? I do find it difficult to conceptualise that if we are all human and not deity's, how there can be a direct lineage through reincarnation. Also, HHDL does have some dogmatic and very Traditional views related to Tibetan Buddhism.... some of which in my heart of hearts I believe are not consistent with Buddha's teachings.

Nationalism, in whatever form tends to create division and many Tibetans are very nationalist and their reverence to HHDL may be related. I can only speculate, but my guess is that HHDL understands this and he may think that it is important to distance his beliefs with his role as a political leader.

Of course China and its political leaders are very misguided and clearly wrong in so many regards.....and I think it is important that we are highly critical. But no more critical than we should be for many of the leaders in the West who masquerade as democrats, when they are as self-interested and dangerous as the Chinese leadership.

In my opinion we should view HHDL as a wise and compassionate human being but maybe being a spiritual leader of a particular Buddhist viewpoint may not ultimately be a path that leads to Buddhahood.

• Yet, is it wise to accept blindly that he is the reincarnation of all previous Dalai Lamas?
    I understood that comment as an explanation of why he wouldn't abandon his role as spiritual leader of the Tibetan people. From the Tibetan perspective, that's who he is, and the embodiment of Avalokitishvara, the Buddha of Compassion, as well. From that perspective, it's not really up to him to walk away from the roles that his identity requires of him. Whether or not the rest of the Buddhist world accepts these beliefs is a different matter. He's bound to a spiritual leadership role because of who he, and the Tibetan people, believe he is. I've seen interesting film footage, on another note, of young people in Tibet being shown a video of him, and they had no idea who he was. So apparently not all Tibetans believe he's a reincarnate lama, etc.

• I've seen interesting film footage, on another note, of young people in Tibet being shown a video of him, and they had no idea who he was. So apparently not all Tibetans believe he's a reincarnate lama, etc.

That's because anything remotely depicting HHDL and all information on him and his activities are banned in Tibet. Most of the information they get about him are either through word of mouth, or heavily censored and propagandized by the Chinese.

• That's because anything remotely depicting HHDL and all information on him and his activities are banned in Tibet. Most of the information they get about him are either through word of mouth, or heavily censored and propagandized by the Chinese.
    My impression from the Western media is that Tibetan elders still revere him, obviously monastics all do, and probably the generation that's now middle-aged knows who he is, from their parents. So I had the impression that the memory of him was kept alive. Do you think that the censor and propaganda are strong enough to counteract, as you say, word of mouth? Even the "word of mouth" conveyed through generations of the same family? I suppose maybe with the younger generation getting a thoroughly Chinese schooling.... if they're growing apart from their parents and grandparents....? What do you think, dorje? Does the generation now in their teens and twenties even have an understanding of Buddhism (if one can generalize to an entire generation)?

This discussion has been closed.