Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So what are we then?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
So I've heard it said. You're not your thoughts, emotions, blah blah.. you're aware of them.
I'm also seeing that reality doesn't very much care about our supposed desires, it acts according to what it wants to do.
"MERR I'M NATURE, I DON'T CARE IF THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE" "GO TSUNAMI, GO EARTHQUAKE"..

Not trying to poke fun, but err.. it really doesn't care.
You can't really control other people either, heck you can't even control yourself.. most of us are controlled by desire, habit of thought etc..
And y'all will come back with - LOL NO, DUDE BUDDHA SAID IF YOU DO X AND X YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS, that very well may be true but why in the heck do we have to deal with all the suffering and crap in the first place..
LOL MAN KARMA, no dude.. that doesn't make any sense..
This entire world is insane.

So who's directing the show? Who are we? Who am I?

EDIT: I just realized that we have no choice over death too..

We have like 10% control and 90% is up to nature

Comments

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This, monks, is the Middle Way the knowledge of which the Tathagata has gained, which leads to insight, which leads to wisdom, which conduces to calm, to knowledge, to perfect enlightenment to Nirvana.

This, monks, is the Noble Truth of Suffering (dukkha): birth is suffering; aging is suffering; illness is suffering; death is suffering; presence of objects we hate is suffering; separation from objects we love is suffering; not to obtain what we desire is suffering. In short, the Five Components of Existence are suffering.

This, monks, is the Noble Truth concerning the Origin of Suffering: verily, it originates in that craving which causes rebirth, which produced delight and passion, and seeks pleasure now here, now there; that is to say, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for continued life, craving for nonexistence.

This, monks, is the Noble Truth concerning the Cessation of Suffering: truly, it is the complete cessation of craving so that no passion remains; the laying aside of, the giving up, the being free from, the harboring no longer of, this craving.

This, monks, is the Noble Truth concerning the Way which leads to the Cessation of Suffering: verily, it is this Noble Eightfold Way, that is to say, right views, right intent, right speech, right conduct, right means of livelihood, right endeavor, right mindfulness, and right meditation.

Peace, my friend. Control has always been an illusion. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. We're all in this together.

• beingbeing Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Even the 10% control you think you have is just an illusion of control. In reality every little movement is just 'a bit' in the unending chain of cause and effect. There is no decision made, which is inherently independent. EVERYthing is interdependent. Every choice "you make" is just an 'effect' or an outcome of the events that happened before.

I know that many do not like this interpretation of reality, since it kinda robs them of their individuality - a too big of a truth to swallow for the ego, perhaps.

No, I have no clue why or how do we exist. But I do know, that some thoughts can only bring us suffering and suffering is not very cool. So if I do not want to suffer, I could meditate, in order to see reality as it is - to see through all the delusions. But as I'm feeling super lazy, with 0 energy and 0 motivation, I'll just sit here and do nothing really useful. :)

\o/

• Peace, my friend. Control has always been an illusion. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. We're all in this together.

Safety in company? The whole shebang will go down with the sinking ship. Being together doesn't cut it. You've got to come up with something better than that.
  • I don't buy it. Surely buddhism isn't against free will?

• No, I have no clue why or how do we exist. But I do know, that some thoughts can only bring us suffering and suffering is not very cool. So if I do not want to suffer, I could meditate, in order to see reality as it is - to see through all the delusions. But as I'm feeling super lazy, with 0 energy and 0 motivation, I'll just sit here and do nothing really useful. :)

\o/
    Where are you sitting? On a park bench? You sleep there too?
  • beingbeing Veteran
    Where are you sitting? On a park bench? You sleep there too?
    I'm sitting behind a computer at my parents apartment. No, I sleep in the other room, where there's a bed for me.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >but why in the heck do we have to deal with all the suffering and crap in the first place..

I believe that the Buddha taught that the "why" part is totally irrelevant. So it really does not matter "why" and it is a waste of time to even concern yourself with such things. The "who shot me with a poison arrow" analogy speaks to this very thing. Have you heard it? A guy gets shot with a poison arrow and then he sits there pondering where it came from, who shot it, what it's true nature is, etc, etc. None of which is actually productive since none of the above will remove the arrow. If you just sit there trying to figure out who, what, why, you just end up dying from poison. Buddhism does not concern itself with who or why the first arrow was shot, it is only concerned with removing it.

• edited March 2011

So who's directing the show? Who are we? Who am I?

OK. No problem. Relax. Are you ready Buddy? You Are Doing It

In a few sentences. AFAIK. A speck of Infinite Mind jumped into the fertilized egg and stays there for about 80 years. IM takes biological form, in a human body with sense organs and a brain (which is just an organ too). IM is detached from "IT" which is HUUUGE and, because it's detached, is a mere teeny tiny speck and occupies a biological form "IT" (IM's "origin") is totally imponderable now; it's forgotten.

All that's left for 80 years is this: We know suffering and hardship is "wrong;" the world of "survival of the fittest" is just a nasty thing. Why is it this way? Who the frick knows!? All we know is we have been plunged into it. What do we do? We try to eliminate suffering and achieve happiness for ourselves and others (BTW, the difference between selves and others is zero). That's all there is to it. BTW, THAT'S a pretty big job we have!

That's as simple AND as profound as anything we can know for sure. Apparently that's what countless person-hours of meditation have come up with after comparing notes. Works for me. IM_H_O? Every other explanation is either wrong or too complicated and embellished.

I hope that helps a bit. High Five

• Peace, my friend. Control has always been an illusion. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. We're all in this together.

Safety in company? The whole shebang will go down with the sinking ship. Being together doesn't cut it. You've got to come up with something better than that.
    No, it is the correct answer. It's just not the one you want. You need to understand that reality is not going to change, to fit your desires. In the entire history of humanity, the answer to your problem has always been to sit down and look at your own expectations.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    We're the result of what came before us. Mind and form, the five aggregates, given birth by the choices of human beings; our parents. Sometimes it's not so much a conscious choice as an unintended result of clinging to sense pleasures... :) Everything makes sense, except our trying to make reality into something inexplicable. It's rather explicable if we just look at it, instead of thinking too much and twisting it this way and that.

Wake up, breathe, enjoy this life and stop struggling to find some complicated answers. All the answers are exactly the simple ones we come to if we stop clinging. Enjoy the experiences you have, help others who are suffering, be free and flow with the stream of life.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    The nerves in your body are already transmitting, describing your boundries... accept them and keep going. The rest seems to come from agitation, seeking something eternal, static.

Not needed...
  • zenffzenff Veteran

The world is on fire; that’s the classic Buddhist way of putting it, I guess
    This has nothing to do with earthquakes, wars and overpopulation though (just to mention a few possible problems).

At any given time, the entire world population will die, within say eighty years or so.
    That’s billions of deaths, and somehow they never reach the news.

What does that mean? What are we then?

We are dust in the wind.
    We have nothing to cling to. We are free.

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2011

We are dust in the wind.
    We have nothing to cling to. We are free.

Beautiful.

Thank you all for your wonderful answers.

Somewhere along the way we forget that it all really doesn't matter that much, and that's something to be happy about.

:)

• meaning is for those who are blind. look at the beauty in the world.

we are existence itself, experiencing itself for the sake of itself.
    how can we be separate from existence? we can pretend.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    meaning is for those who are blind...
    “Meaning” is a tool, a raft a finger pointing at the moon.
    Only when we mistake the finger for the moon we are blind.

But I don’t want to fall into hairsplitting with you Taiyaki!
    I love your posts.
    ;)
  • Even the 10% control you think you have is just an illusion of control. In reality every little movement is just 'a bit' in the unending chain of cause and effect. There is no decision made, which is inherently independent. EVERYthing is interdependent. Every choice "you make" is just an 'effect' or an outcome of the events that happened before.
    If everything is predetermined and we have no free will, then how does that fit with the definition of karma as the fruit of volitional action?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Life is unfolding before our very eyes, it's not predetermined. What we do now brings about the next moment, so our skillful choices (intended thoughts, speech and actions) can through this cause and effect come to lead the mind away from craving and clinging, toward an awakened state. We're part of the whole. We can exert influence externally, and the external world can exert influence upon the body and mind, but ultimately it's our choices that either bind us or liberate us.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Well isn't that THE question? Who am I ? What am I? I would say on the whole it's the wrong question to ask. It supposes an "I" What are you? Your memories? What you see, is this you? Your body? Your thoughts? Your actions? your desires? Maybe your job defines you? When all the concepts drop away what are you left with? For me what is left over is simple awareness of what is right now. Everything else we just make up.
    With metta,
    Todd
  • i agree with you The swing is yellow.

the question should get you to work negatively. first figuring out what you aren't. then positively. figuring out what you are. then finally whats left after it all.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Just live that life. It doesn't matter whether it is life or hell, life of the hungry ghost, life of the animal, it's okay; just live that life, see. And as a matter of fact no other way. Where you stand, where you are, that's what your life is right there, regardless of how painful it is or how enjoyable it is. That's what it is.
    - Taizan Maezumi
  • Look at nature.
    Are the birds and insects suffering?
    Human beings have invented this world in our mind.
    We have the biggest brain & we suffer the most.
    Solution; lobotomy or meditation.
    Nobody created this world for us to suffer in.
    Where are you, god? When I needed you for answers?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. "

Matthew 6: 28-29.

...."What he was trying to say was that human anxiety and concern about physical and material needs, though understandable, are not the key to the true understanding of existence. "Is not life more than food, and the body more than raiment?" God knows we have need of these things and our worry and anxiety about them will not add one hour to our span of life, in fact it may do just the opposite. Moreover, greed and selfishness, which are the cause of most wars and human conflicts, are rooted in an underlying anxiety about material goods. We are afraid that the other guy will have too much of whatever it is we think we need and so we resolve to get ours first and horde the rest for future days."

I always loved that quotation.

Very Buddhist!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Who am I" is a very good question to ask IMO. Because when you sincerely try to find that out, in a skillful manner with the guidance of a good teacher, you usually end up finding out what you are not, rather that what you are. This is why I think some teachers teach that this is an important question because it leads to right views of not-self. So it goes like this: Who Am I? Hmm, well, let's see. I'm not this, not this, not this, not this, not this and not this. Well, if I am none of those things, then what is left? Nothing! I've already looked into everything there is to look into and still haven't found this I thing. I guess the Buddha was correct. :)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    So even if one is starving, thirsty, has cholera, aids and is on the verge of death there's a possibly that you don't have to suffer it? You can just see it as it is? That's pretty sweet. Is meditation that powerful?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes.
    hell, it worked for the Buddha, didn't it?
    This is what we as Buddhists strive for; Understanding Suffering, and ceasing suffering.
    The dual arrows, and all that....
  • beingbeing Veteran
    So even if one is starving, thirsty, has cholera, aids and is on the verge of death there's a possibly that you don't have to suffer it? You can just see it as it is? That's pretty sweet. Is meditation that powerful?
    All suffering is mind-made - the automatic thoughts (which of we are unaware most of the time) of aversion towards anything we might consider unpleasant.

• Yes.
    What worked for the Buddha, Federica? ravkes is asking if meditation could eliminate suffering of hunger, thirst, bodily illnesses. Yours is the attitude of Hindu asceticism that the Buddha - as we are told - rejected.
    Yes.
    What worked for the Buddha, Federica? ravkes is asking if meditation could eliminate suffering of hunger, thirst, bodily illnesses. Yours is the attitude of Hindu asceticism that the Buddha - as we are told - rejected.
    "This is what we as Buddhists strive for; Understanding Suffering, and ceasing suffering.
    The dual arrows, and all that.... "

Where is the Hinduism in this statement? I am not seeing it. She correctly reflects this:
    "I teach one thing and one only: suffering and the end of suffering."-The Buddha

With metta,
    Todd

• Whatever Todd.
    Metta to you too.
    Whatever Todd.
    Metta to you too.
    I was not trying to be confrontational with you, I just did not see the Hinduism in her statement. My apologies for any misunderstanding.
    All the best,
    Todd

Yes.
    No, there's no Hinduism inferred in my statement at all. What I meant was - and as
    The Swing points out, That's precisely what the Buddha came to teach.
    All the things mentioned - "starving, thirsty, has cholera, aids and is on the verge of death" - are physical afflictions that one can transcend and either simply suffer as the physical affliction, without permitting that suffering to affect the state of Mind, or are also social constructs that befall a person, but which although affecting them in a bodily sense, need not affect them in a mental sense.
    One learns to transcend that suffering through meditation and Mindfulness - something the Buddha did for 6 days before attaining Enlightenment. he was beset by the arrows and temptations of Mara, but was able to deflect such attacks and temptations through his meditation.

I hope I've clarified that sufficiently for you.

So what in that do you see as 'Hindu asceticism'?

• edited March 2011
    I have heard that "what are we" is one of the most important questions one can ask. It seems to me that it is also a big cause of dukkha.
  • it's because there is no answer LOL
  • edited March 2011
    Life is unfolding before our very eyes, it's not predetermined. What we do now brings about the next moment, so our skillful choices (intended thoughts, speech and actions) can through this cause and effect come to lead the mind away from craving and clinging, toward an awakened state. We're part of the whole. We can exert influence externally, and the external world can exert influence upon the body and mind, but ultimately it's our choices that either bind us or liberate us.
    The way i understand it, cause and effect is determinism. If every 'skillful choice' we make is just an outcome of events that came before, then how is that free will?

Is there an official buddhist line regarding free will vs determinism?

• In sitting meditation I think you notice your thoughts and then return to your breathing. Rumour has it that insight occurs and I think that happens. As far as 'day to day' or 'night to night' rrrrrrrrrrow, didn't the zen master say to burn the karma somehow. Wait that contradicts something else I read! I don't understand eitehr? Am I in the same boat or are we just paddling all over? Little bouncing beads of gas?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Paradox, When you make a choice, is there or is there not a choice? You know there's a choice being made. There may be unconscious factors going into the decision, but you're conscious of why you're choosing this over that. Why the clinging to "free will" as if that matters? There's no separate "self", no "doer" of the deed, this is our problem and our delusion that leads to such questions that revolve around "I". Without a static "I", a chooser, a separate "self", the question of "free will" has no person that it points to, and so is an invalid question to ask to begin with.

Life is a series of moments, one leading to the next. No one determined it, but it is determined by this moment, and this moment, and this moment. It flows. Cause and effect, conditionality, dependent co-arising, these are the teachings of the Buddha. We are a part of the bigger picture, but everything of "us" is a smaller component that is not really us either. It is form/matter, feelings, perceptions, thoughts, consciousness... conditioned aggregates.

There is will. There is choice. There is mind and form. There's just no "you" on an ultimate sense, only in a conventional sense as referring to the conditioned five aggregates of which your awareness perceives itself a part of.
  • Cloud, that makes sense to me. Although I don't always remember it. Almost like a mantra, but also a buddhist teaching to contemplate. Suppose I have an emotion and to me it appears an emotion. Again it appears to me. And whether I have a self or not it still 'feels'. I am conditioned to question whether or how to sit with it and sometimes I feel that I need to try hard to avert bad karma. But then I worry that I am repressing something which I will then explode somewhere else. It seems I should start a new thread. Anyhow I will record my thoughts.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Jeffrey, Print it out and refer to it later if you forget. :)

It's like when you close your eyes, start watching your breath, and random thoughts start popping up. You will them to stop, but they don't. At some point you realize... those thoughts aren't you. They can't be, as your intent/will is that they do not arise and they pop up regardless. They're conditioned arisings, and they belong to no one. The internal monologue in your head isn't you thinking, it's thoughts that are perceived in your body's voice, because you think that they're you, that they represent your self/soul. Try changing the voice to any other voice, and immediately it's just thought (not self).

Same goes for feelings, for perceptions, for the body, and eventually for all forms of consciousness/awareness itself. It all goes eventually (as being thought of as "self"), seen as belonging to no one and arising/passing due to conditions, causal interactions with the other aggregates internal and external.

I think, therefore there are thoughts.
    I think I am, therefore there is delusion.

• [The way i understand it, cause and effect is determinism. If every 'skillful choice' we make is just an outcome of events that came before, then how is that free will?

Is there an official buddhist line regarding free will vs determinism?]

As long as you identify with your thoughts, there is free will. But if you accept that you are not your thoughts, then there is only cause and effect.

• determinism: cause and effect.
    free will: choosing your cause/effect. or choosing not to involve yourself in cause/effect.

most people are unconscious of cause/effect. when you become conscious of cause/effect you have the rare opportunity to change your cause/effect aka your condition. or drop it altogether. that is what we call enlightenment.

it's an existential realization though and not an intellectual exercise. wisdom is life changing when we open up to it. when we're not open it's all in the head or just philosophy.

• All the things mentioned - "starving, thirsty, has cholera, aids and is on the verge of death" - are physical afflictions that one can transcend and either simply suffer as the physical affliction, without permitting that suffering to affect the state of Mind, or are also social constructs that befall a person, but which although affecting them in a bodily sense, need not affect them in a mental sense.

Are you saying that through meditation one can transcend physical afflictions the way monks set themselves on fire in protest against the Vietnam War?

• All the things mentioned - "starving, thirsty, has cholera, aids and is on the verge of death" - are physical afflictions that one can transcend and either simply suffer as the physical affliction, without permitting that suffering to affect the state of Mind, or are also social constructs that befall a person, but which although affecting them in a bodily sense, need not affect them in a mental sense.

Are you saying that through meditation one can transcend physical afflictions the way monks set themselves on fire in protest against the Vietnam War?
    Whatever happens physically, happens physically. You can come to control your mind, though.

yes.
    But practice must be unwavering, assiduous, constant, continuous and devoted.
    There is no reason why any human being - not just a monk - can apply this to their lives.

• @cloud
    @pegembara
    @taiyaki

Wow, I think I just learned something.

So, it's a bit like jumping off a cliff and learning to fly on the way down?

Now I'm freaked out.

Metta _/\_
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    So, it's a bit like jumping off a cliff and learning to fly on the way down?
    No, it's more like accepting that you're falling and there's no way around it, and stopping all the silly arm-flapping; you can't fly. We look ridiculous and it only stresses us out.

Once you accept that, you're at peace. It doesn't bother you so much. You're not alone in this, every one and every thing shares the same nature of impermanence. No unchanging thing ever came into existence to begin with, life is flowing.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    We are a pawn with which the universe is playing its game. But it's a wonderful game. The goal of the game is to realize we are nothing, but if we win, we see in the same time we are everything.

Everything you see, that's you. This post you are reading, it makes you at this moment. And also it's not you. Because there is no you.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
  • Well i'd be lying if I said I liked it, but thanks anyway. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Paradox, No one likes it to begin with, because they only see half of it. They see no longer existing after death. What's the other half? Finding out that you never existed as a separate thing to begin with. Once you connect the two, you're gold. There's nothing to fear, nothing to lose. There is no birth or death, only change.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Well i'd be lying if I said I liked it, but thanks anyway. :)
    Well, better change your picture then because it represents the great emptiness.
    :D

By the way it is not determinism (so don't worry ;) ) but I have no time to go into that now. Might do later.
  • by being a nothingness, you become everything.

by seeing the emptiness, you see the fullness. emptiness is a fullness. it is infinite potential and the infinite mystery of reality as it is.

how you interpret reality as it is...is your chimera. touch the still point where words cannot reach. that's all that matters.