Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreat

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I just read an extensive interview regarding retreats. They went into depth about the different rules involved and the many benefits that long-term solitary retreat provides. Considering the rather heavy investment in time, energy, focus, and not to mention the funds necessary, do you think that this kind of experience is worth it? I have a very strong interest in attending a short retreat (like 2-3 weeks) but even that length of time would be very difficult for my girlfriend, especially since no phones are allowed or any kind of outside communication, and dedication to the full length of the retreat is required.

Does anyone one have any stories to share regarding their own retreat experiences?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I did the 10 day vipassana retreat. Its all expenses paid, which is pretty sweet. you donate what you want. It isn't solitary but there's no talking so it sort of feels solitary. http://www.dhamma.org/
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Have you tried a shorter weekend retreat first?
  • If you think you like it, you should give it a try. Never mind about the benefits. You can have the experience and get to tell.
  • A weekend retreat sounds more like my cup of tea but I wasn't aware that sanghas offered 2-3 day retreats. I'll have to look into it. :)
  • You can find a lot of macho stuff about prolonged retreats over at Dharma Overground and in the book by the site owner.
  • Macho Stuff?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You can find a lot of macho stuff about prolonged retreats over at Dharma Overground and in the book by the site owner.
    "macho stuff"
    I didn't see much bragging over there; can you specify?
    I guess what the Buddha said could be interpreted as macho or even obnoxious depending on who is listening.

anyhow, i did the 10 day Goenka vipassana course as well, was a fascinating experience on so many levels.

2-3 weeks seems excessive for a first retreat.
    the 10 day course is the only choice for the first time doing Goenka Vipassana, after you completed your first retreat, you can do 2-3 days mini retreats if you want.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Macho Stuff?
    Yes.
    looking at the site, it looks a little like a commando recruitment website, right down to the stencil lettering...... The text is phrased to sound like something Mr T. would say, as opposed to sounding like Pema Chodron, for example...

I get the 'macho' inference.

• "i wouldn't want to retreat from buddhism(joke), its happened before,"
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Macho Stuff?
    Yes.
    looking at the site, it looks a little like a commando recruitment website, right down to the stencil lettering...... The text is phrased to sound like something Mr T. would say, as opposed to sounding like Pema Chodron, for example...

I get the 'macho' inference.

Judging the book by it's cover? ;)

Good thing Buddhism have many different covers so everyone can find one that will fit his expectations/
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Please don't go all fanboy on us, Pat. It's so tiresome, and is likely to be personally harmful for you in the long run. You can read a text critically and still get a lot out of it..

The tag line for his book is An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book, for heaven's sake. Not to mention that the book promises the reader "mastery" of the teachings. The book is filled with stories of the incredibly long, incredibly hardcore retreats he did, and exhortations to practice as hard as you can, no matter the social or emotional cost. (It's also filled with references to the social and emotional costs he paid along the way.)

So, sorry for the lèse majesté against your personal demigod, but yes, it's macho.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
    (Which, by the way, is not to say that I think he's wrong about those exhortations. Like I said, I am getting a lot out of it [also making good use of his website], and would recommend MCTB highly to any intermediate or advanced practitioner. And I'm glad you're getting a lot out of it, too.)
  • Find a temple or local sitting group which offers shorter beginning or intro retreats. If you're particularly enthusiastic and a bit of a masochist, go for the long retreat to start. Otherwise, nothing wrong with just getting your feet wet.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Judging the book by it's cover? ;)

Good thing Buddhism have many different covers so everyone can find one that will fit his expectations/
    No, I wasn't judging the book by its cover. I spent quite a while flicking through the pages and reading some of the text.
    So don't patronise me and make inane remarks like that.
    Women recognise machismo a lot more quickly than men do.

And don't you mean 'his - or her - expectations'?
    or are you looking at this from purely chauvinistic Point of view?

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    No, I wasn't judging the book by its cover. I spent quite a while flicking through the pages and reading some of the text.
    I have no doubt that you did if you say so; i was simply referring to your post where you commented only on the appearances.
    No patronizing, friendly teasing can be a sign of affection.

i do mean his/her.

Well perhaps inserting a few smiling jovial emoticons might help me determine whether you were being humorous or not.
    Unfortunately, that's entirely how your post came over.
    I got no clue of 'teasing and affection'.

Thank you for clarifying though. ;)

• No, I wasn't judging the book by its cover. I spent quite a while flicking through the pages and reading some of the text.
    Women recognise machismo a lot more quickly than men do.

Hell hath no fury, eh? :p
    Don't you start!

And in the interests of accuracy:

"Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd,
    Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd."

:p back atcha...... :D
  • lol touche
  • I did the 10 day vipassana retreat in the goenka tradition.
    Everything was fine except when they play recording of goenka's singing/chanting/moaning which was disturbing to me.
  • It sounded like speaking in tongues in some church.
    Gobbledygook.