Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion, Kindness. and Wisdom

I'm writing an essay an Buddhism and i was looking for some help. So far I've written about middle way, 4 noble truths, eightfold path, 5 precepts, impermanence, reincarnation, and karma. Right now i am writing about compassion, kindness, and wisdom and the development of these through meditative practices. I have a few ideas but am running into some writers block. If anyone has any suggestions or quotes pertaining to what i mentioned earlier it would be most appreciated.

metta

Comments

• wisdom of emptiness leads to compassion. compassion can be seen as kindness, but compassion has many forms.
    but you see it's not an intellectual understanding of all of this that is wisdom. Wisdom is experiential. You have to have insight into the nature of reality. You can intellectually understand no-self, impermanence, and the unsatisfactory nature of reality. It's common sense. But we don't see reality that way. We don't live reality that way.

Realization is an existential experience into the true nature of reality. It is not philosophical. Though words can point like a map to the treasure.

Wisdom is experienced knowledge that transforms your life.
  • Buddho susuddho karuṇā-mahaṇṇavo,

The Buddha, absolutely pure, with ocean-like compassion,

Yoccanta-suddhabbara-ñāṇa-locano,

Possessed of the eye of perfect stainless insight,

Lokassa pāpūpakilesa-ghātako:

The destroyer of worldly self-corruption:

Vandāmi buddhaṃ aham-ādarena taṃ.

That Buddha I revere.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/dhammayut/chanting.html#morning
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Bhikkhus, there is one person, born in the world, for the welfare and happiness of gods and men. Who is it? It is the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, born out of compassion for the world.

Ekapuggalavagga: One Person

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara1/1-ekanipata/013-Ekapuggalavaggo-e.html

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "Develop the meditation of good will. For when you are developing the meditation of good will, ill-will [hatred] will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of compassion. For when you are developing the meditation of compassion, cruelty will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of appreciation. For when you are developing the meditation of appreciation, resentment [envy] will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of equanimity. For when you are developing the meditation of equanimity, irritation will be abandoned.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.062.than.html
  • Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born —
    May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.amar.html
  • O Bhikkhus, protecting oneself, one protects others; protecting others, one protects oneself.

And how does one, in protecting oneself, protect others?

By earnest practice, cultivation and development of mindfulness (satipatthana). In this way, by protecting oneself, one protects others.

And how does one, in protecting others, protect oneself? By forbearance, by non-violence, by possessing a heart of loving-kindness and compassion. In this way, by protecting others, one protects oneself.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.019.olen.html

• "At long last a greatly revered great seer
    for my sake
    has come to the great forest.
    Having heard your verse
    in line with the Dhamma,
    I will go about
    having abandoned evil."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.086.than.html
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Thanks DD .... was looking for the access to insight reference for where this came from, also from above reference
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.019.olen.html
    ... quoted this in my staff meeting today
    " Looking after oneself, one looks after others."

• 'Brahma,' bhikkhus, is a term for mother and father. 'Early devas' and 'early teachers' and 'those worthy of veneration' are terms for mother and father. For what reason? Because mother and father are very helpful to their children, they take care of them and bring them up and teach them about the world."

Mother and father are called
    "Brahma," "early teachers"
    And "worthy of veneration,"
    Being compassionate towards
    Their family of children.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.4.106-112x.irel.html#iti-109
  • Thanks Andy

There are many translations. I obtained the one above from here:

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/s-sati1.htm

:)
  • 129. All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

130. All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

131. One who, while himself seeking happiness, oppresses with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will not attain happiness hereafter.

132. One who, while himself seeking happiness, does not oppress with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will find happiness hereafter.

133. Speak not harshly to anyone, for those thus spoken to might retort. Indeed, angry speech hurts, and retaliation may overtake you.

134. If, like a broken gong, you silence yourself, you have approached Nibbana, for vindictiveness is no longer in you.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.10.budd.html
  • Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

S 55.7 Veludvareyya Sutta The Golden Rule/How to practice the 5 Precepts

http://sites.google.com/site/dharmafarer2/sam.yuttanikayya
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As an intellectual or emotional matter, wisdom, compassion and kindness can be nourished to good effect.

As a practical matter, they can't be helped.
  • You might write about the Buddhist concept of Metta, or Loving Kindness, and quote the Metta Sutta. Also the Bodhisattva Ideal is the flowering of compassion as the essential characteristic of a Buddha.
  • Don't forget mindfulness.

• Wisdom is experienced knowledge that transforms your life.
    Is wisdom another term for common sense?

• Wisdom is experienced knowledge that transforms your life.
    Is wisdom another term for common sense?
    Wisdom is apparently a type of sense that is not very common at all. Otherwise, why would people strive for a level of "sense" that appears to be above common sense?

• Wisdom is apparently a type of sense that is not very common at all. Otherwise, why would people strive for a level of "sense" that appears to be above common sense?

Give me an example of wisdom to compare with an example of common sense. This way, you can show that I am wrong in equating wisdom with common sense.
  • I have no issue with what you said. I have no desire to show that you are "wrong" about this.
  • edited March 2011
    You know you can't show that I am wrong. Wisdom, kindness, compassion...these are meaningless words. The problem is that people with a smidgen of education feels the need to make life more complicated and elitist than it is. They have lost all touch with common sense and invent God-like qualities to aspire to. A Buddha is a common man who has not lost his common sense.
  • You know you can't show that I am wrong. Wisdom, kindness, compassion...these are meaningless words. The problem is that people with a smidgen of education feels the need to make life more complicated and elitist than it is. They have lost all touch with common sense and invent God-like qualities to aspire to. A Buddha is a common man who has not lost his common sense.
    Again, I have no desire to show that you are wrong. I was merely commenting. If you think those are meaningless words, by all means feel free to.

• Wisdom is very rare like diamonds. Very uncommon.
  • edited March 2011
    Wisdom is very rare like diamonds. Very uncommon.
    Actually, much rarer than diamonds. I can get a diamond but wisdom! ... that eludes me. ;)
  • thank you all. This helped a lot.
  • changed kindness to ethics. Kindness is a form of compassion duh. Thank you taiyaki
  • wisdom is correct action in the correct situation. thus it isn't a framework or an idea you impose in every situation. nor is it an idea that you hold onto and use.

wisdom is fluid. wisdom comes from the source of who you are. todays wisdom may not be correct for tomorrows wisdom. and wisdom in one circumstance may not work for another circumstance.

wisdom is when you stand no where. when you have no position or pre conceived notions of how reality should be.
    wisdom is allow reality as it is. allowing everything (the good/bad) to be as it is.

then from that seeing the situation in the moment and acting accordingly. so one might do nothing. one might do something.

but wisdom is really simple. the sky is blue. when you put your hand in a fire, you move it. when someone is sad, you comfort them. when you are hungry, you eat. when you are tired, you sleep.

correct action for correct situation. whatever works.
  • wisdom is correct action in the correct situation. thus it isn't a framework or an idea you impose in every situation. nor is it an idea that you hold onto and use.

I understand your point and yes i realize there is no "I" i was asked by my teacher to write a paper on a form (i know form is emptiness emptiness is form) of philosophy that we relate with most. I was simply trying to write an essay on some of the philosophical concepts of buddhism, and i appreciate your insight it
    helped.

"Know all things to be like this:
    A mirage, a cloud castle
    A dream without apparition
    without essence but with qualities that can be seen
    Know all things to be like this;
    as the moon in a bright sky
    in some clear lake reflected
    though to that lake the moon has never moved"

metta