Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Similarity between Buddhism & Taoism

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
Mt Wudang in China is becoming popular with westerners. Home of Taoist
monks who practise vegetarianism, renunciation and meditation.
Very similar to Buddhist monks.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    They also practice sexual tantra, like Tibetan Buddhists. "Sexual alchemy", the Taoists call it. But there haven't been any scandals related to that in Taoism, that we know of.
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    It is my understanding that when Buddhism entered and began to assimilate into Chinese culture (and from there, in turn, into Japan and Korea), Buddhist missionaries used Taoist concepts to translate their own Buddhist concepts. The tradition of using negation to describe things also permeates both religions (e.g. saying what something is not, as opposed to saying what it is). The only major difference between the two to my limited knowledge is the Taoist affirmation that the Tao is "the source."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    The source, the emptiness, the field, suchness. Isn't it the same? ;) Everything arises and passes, but where from? Where to? In fact it doesn't come from anything or return to anything, it's never separable from the emptiness. Right now you are the Tao.
  • 'They also practice sexual tantra' . Dakini, are you sure?
    IMO, Lao zi was enlightened & taught accordingly.
  • Toaism tradition also shares with Buddhism the 5 precept and links them with the in Taoist five elements (Wu Xing (五行)):
    1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life. (4th element, metal, (金))
    2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. (3rd element, earth, (土))
    3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct. (2nd element, fire (火))
    4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. (1st element, wood (木))
    5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness. (5th element, water, (水))
  • Hmm. One of my best friends is a Taoist. We have a lot in common, and have had many discussions about various things. Before I knew what he practiced I assumed he was Buddhist of some sort. He actually got offended, and asserted that he was not a pacifist. :scratch:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    'They also practice sexual tantra' . Dakini, are you sure?IMO, Lao zi was enlightened & taught accordingly.
    Yeah, I stumbled onto it on the internet. Maybe it's kept secret in China, but Westerners have discovered it. Google "Taoist sexual alchemy".
    I don't imagine Lao Zi taught this (the Buddha didn't teach tantra, either, but there it is, in Tibet, and apparently, in Vietnamese Zen, too, according to Wiki), it must've come in from other influences. But it's considered a longevity practice in Taoism.

• For some period of taoism it was all about obtaining immortality through alchemy
  • hmm... I don't think immortality and tantra are part of the Tao Te Ching.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The tao te ching isn't the only movement in taoism. It's not lao tzuism
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    The similarities are overstated, the differences often overlooked.

Nonetheless, deep resonance exists.

Namaste
  • 'He actually got offended, and asserted that he was not a pacifist.'
    I am proud to be a pacifist.
  • For some period of taoism it was all about obtaining immortality through alchemy
    It still is at Mt Wudang.
    To use buddhist perspective, they are trying to become devas.
    One advantage they have is the emphasis on physical movement
    eg Taichi.

• edited April 2011
    Alchemy and longevity seem to be a strong themes in Taoism still. And Tibetan lamas speak of alchemy as well, the alchemy of turning afflictions into equanimity, and the like. Tibetan medicines are created by a process considered to be alchemical. (Turning mercury and gemstones into medicine.)
    eg Taichi.
    They also have healing modalities like Chi Nei Tsang aimed at enhancing longevity.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    hmm... I don't think immortality and tantra are part of the Tao Te Ching.
    Actually from my experience they do focus on immortality as well as alchemy.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Alchemy and longevity seem to be a strong themes in Taoism still. And Tibetan lamas speak of alchemy as well, the alchemy of turning afflictions into equanimity, and the like. Tibetan medicines are created by a process considered to be alchemical. (Turning mercury and gemstones into medicine.)
    eg Taichi.
    They also have healing modalities like Chi Nei Tsang aimed at enhancing longevity.

Any thoughts on Alchemy in general? The process, websites, links, resources, books, thoughts?

• Any thoughts on Alchemy in general? The process, websites, links, resources, books, thoughts?
    Start an alchemy thread under "Buddhism and World Religions". Great idea.

:)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Start an alchemy thread under "Buddhism and World Religions". Great idea. :)
    I second this. :thumbsup: