Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Video Games?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings
If someone were to make a Buddhist themed video game, what would it be about? :p

Comments

• Why don't you share some of your own ideas about this, so we have a better idea what you're talking about?

You go first.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Why don't you share some of your own ideas about this, so we have a better idea what you're talking about?

You go first.
    Well, I don't know. Like, most video games are violent - hell, even Mario is. So... what kind of game could be a Buddhist themed non-violent game? There was a game called Your Hindu Shooter or something like that. It was a Hindu game where you had to complete various tasks to clean your chakras and such. There are Christian games where you collect animals and put them in the ark. What could a Buddhist game be like?

• Life.
  • or second life.
  • or second life.
    There's already a website for that, complete with a virtual Zendo and (I think) a chat area.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    a small disk that you have to stare at (Kasina).

You have to keep your fingers on the number pad because once in a while, at a random time, a number flashes in the middle of the disk and you have to type in what this number was.

You level up the longer you can go without missing a number.

There you go, simple game to practice concentration for hours on end.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I've posted this here before, but Flower:

Actually, I love what the developer thatgamecompany is doing. Very unique. Peaceful, meditative games. Wonderful stuff really.

http://thatgamecompany.com/
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    Wow, great video. That is definitely what I would call a Buddhist game.
  • I would think a game where you helped people in a non-violent setting would be 'buddhist'. Probably you couldn't teach meditation in such a setting. But there could be minigames that were exercises. One type would be minigames where you are doing a wordsearch or whatever that is not directly story related.

You could have some kind of situation. Say your a detective or a counselor etc. And clients come with problems and you have a text interface and decision tree. I don't believe the problem of non-linearity has been solved in video games but with a lot of labor you could make it branching.

An example you could read about is The Witcher which is a violent video game, but there are multiple solutions and story resolution.

Just make the action thinking instead of killing.
  • GTA 4 is a pretty buddhist video game, along with Duke Nukem Forever, which I'd like to add, is finally coming out in two months!
  • If someone were to make a Buddhist themed video game, what would it be about? :p
    http://www.khondee.net/game/
    http://gaygamer.net/2006/10/my_hindu_shooter.html
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    As a concept, My Hindu Shooter sounds really intriguing, reincarnating as various forms according to the karma accumulated in the previous life. A simplistic rendering of the subject but seems quite fun.

More likely to make a real video game would probably be something Buddhist themed but not necessarily in line with Buddhist principles. A friend of mine did some concept art on a similar theme for his degree show. He had such games as Shaolin Smackdown (WWF in robes) and Dalai Lama: Escape from Tibet (a non-shooty stealth and acrobatics game - I kid you not!).

I have to admit that I like to play Civilization, a game that could easily be given a Buddhist twist.
  • More likely to make a real video game would probably be something Buddhist themed but not necessarily in line with Buddhist principles. A friend of mine did some concept art on a similar theme for his degree show. He had such games as Shaolin Smackdown (WWF in robes) and Dalai Lama: Escape from Tibet (a non-shooty stealth and acrobatics game - I kid you not!).
    Well Uncharted 2 is kinda Buddhist themed, though definitely not in line with Buddhist principals.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    A good Buddhist video game would be one that just makes the screen go blank. :p
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    They tried that with the early Xbox360s, it didn't catch on...
    edited March 2011
    Back in my college days as an aspiring software developer, I was very adept at making the screen go blank. Also at making it turn blue, and at rebooting too. :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Easy, Civilization IV, pick "Asoka The Great" as your leader, try to get Meditation (which will give you Buddhism as your starting religion), and go for cultural win.

:D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Wii fit has a game where you sit on your wii balance board, stare at a flame and must remain still or the flame will go out. as time goes on, you get disturbances like moths and creaks and footsteps and whatnot.
    Easy, Civilization IV, pick "Asoka The Great" as your leader, try to get Meditation (which will give you Buddhism as your starting religion), and go for cultural win...
    I always play Asoka and go for Meditation first. :)
  • Wii fit, lets you meditate....
    Cooking Mama is non-violent, Katamari Damacy makes you look at the bigger picture (hee*hee*)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    can someone who plays second life explain this to me? i've looked into it before, but it kind of just looks like the sims to me.

in what format do these "zen discussion meetings" take place? it is text or like skype?
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited April 2011
    noooooooooooooooooooo zombie. Don't do it! Don't give your life to that virtual reality game. Thank you. ^^
    noooooooooooooooooooo zombie. Don't do it! Don't give your life to that virtual reality game. Thank you. ^^
    haha, this made me laugh. but i think i might take your advice :)
    i really don't have the time anyways, i was just curious.
  • I use to love video games, or as they say in the UK, computer games. I probably still would if I had a console. I went through 2 PS3sm the first one I sold and indulged in ecstasy, weed and probably a bit of cocaine but I cannot remember as I was 18, pretty sad huh. The second I sold because I became bored of it and other priorities were in the way.

Going back into my childhood, I LOVED my N64, they are still rocking today I think. It was far ahead of it's time.

As for buddhist computer games, I think if there was one ever made it would be more along the lines of something to help you meditate or relax and be peaceful, rather than roaming around doing tasks. It would obviously be a gimmick anyway..
    bump
  • Forgive me father for I have sinned! I was tempted to watch the trailers for Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon city and Darkside chronicles :(

At the time it does feel like a drug that wants to pull me back into those delusional escapist vice.

I will resist from doing it again in the future!

I meant everything but the "Catholic" part lol!
  • edited July 2011
    this seems like a gigantic circle-jerk to me. Oh this guy you can "use" meditation while playing! OMG LOLZ!

whatever video game you're playing is a buddhist game.

edited to be slightly less intentionally offensive than the original wording.
  • edited July 2011
    A long time ago I made a Chogyam Trungpa study avater based on some Ai technology I invented. I make video games for a living but do this kind of stuff on my spare time.

It's not really a game but an Ai incarnation of Chogyam Trungpa. You can talk to him and ask him questions and have him talk back. What I did was scan some of his books into a database and then use my Ai to parse the data.

I don't have it around anymore unfortunately. I do but it's not compiled. I might just clean him up and upload him sometime.

It was fun talking to him. It was very creepy... especially because it wasn't that bad. The Ai actually creates a matrix of relationships on all the topics he talks about.

Anyway check this site in the near future...

http://graitmind.com/chogyam.htm

• edited July 2011
    @milkmoth
    Wow, that looks fascinating. If you ever get around to cleaning it up and compiling it, I would certainly like to check it out.

Also, I'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned the DharmaGames website. It has quite a few Buddhist-inspired flash games on it. Check it out at http://www.dharmagames.org/
  • The Sims 3 is fairly Buddhist in some ways. The idea is to make your Sims happy (and if you get the World Adventures expansion and get them into martial arts, they can meditate too!). You can go the route of fulfilling their every whim, but actually just making sure they're clean, fed, rested and get to read a book or go to the park occasionally is enough to keep them satisfied.

It all becomes very non-Buddhist, though, at the point when you get them into the swimming pool and then remove the ladder so that they can't get out. Inevitability of death, anyone? :D
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The action adverntures of Padmasambhava ! Now that would be sweet ! :D
  • Hmmm...would Guitar Hero: Zero Defex (Brad Warner's band) be a Buddhist video game? :P
  • As a person that has an addiction to video games such World of Warcraft I would have to say that the best video game for buddhist would be no game at all. Videos games take you away from your core practice and they add another level attachment that is hard to remove. That brings me to a question that I am working on; how to make this electronic world of social interaction and information on internet work for your practice and not hinder it?
  • As a person that has an addiction to video games such World of Warcraft I would have to say that the best video game for buddhist would be no game at all. Videos games take you away from your core practice and they add another level attachment that is hard to remove. That brings me to a question that I am working on; how to make this electronic world of social interaction and information on internet work for your practice and not hinder it?
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. I view it as a harmless hobby. Some people crochet, some collect watches, some play a sport on the weekends, I play video games. Not sure why you feel they necessarily take one away from one's core practice or add another level of attachment (anymore so than anything else). I'm not so attached to the idea of non-attachment that I avoid things I would enjoy out of fear of attachment.
  • Its possible to play video games as a hobby and still live a productive life. Just the problem with world of warcraft is that sometimes it can require too much of you, say if you become a hardcore raider. I used to play it so I know what its like. My brother still plays it daily too.

It's not my thing anymore though. Now when I play games I enjoy casual games. I actually don't play too many video games anymore. But the last ones I enjoyed were God of War 3, and Red Dead Redemption.
  • I'm not so attached to the idea of non-attachment that I avoid things I would enjoy out of fear of attachment.
    @StaticToybox - you've just cleared something up for me in a big way with this sentence - thanks for that!
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Well there is now a new game based on Buddhist Mythology:

It's based on an Asura

Asuras WIKI

The game reminds me of some sort of Buddhist version of God of War. :P
  • edited August 2011
    I'm very, very interested in the possible intersection of Buddhism and games. I plan for that to be the main theme of my work as I spend the next few years pursuing an MFA in Media Arts Production.

I hesitate to link to this at risk of seeming like an electronic carpetbagger, but here is a free game I made in my final semester of undergrad: http://www.kongregate.com/games/devwil/dhp129

It's named Dhp129, which is an abbreviation for the 129th verse of the Dhammapada, of course. It promotes vegetarianism by juxtaposing meat consumption and production.

I think games have a unique ability to spread the dharma, because what is a game if not a demonstration of cause and effect? The player provides some input; the game processes it and returns output. To put it in the logical, computer-friendly terms that a game programmer must be literate with, so much of Buddhism is based on if...then statements. You can sort of express the four noble truths in a short, abstract algorithm! :P

if (life == dukkha) {
    dukkha = clinging;
    if (clinging) {
    clinging = false;
    }
    Noble8FPath.walk();
    }

edit: aw shucks. the formatting of my super-kinda-almost-clever algorithm gets ruined.

Games can also be great opportunities for mindfulness. Any game that requires sharp concentration has potential to be healthy Buddhist exercise, in my opinion.

This isn't to say games can't be terribly, terribly unhealthy. Even meditation can be unhealthy, though. Bob Thurman is always pointing out that meditation, if not properly conditioned, can make things a lot worse. Similarly, playing Call of Duty with no interest other than belittling your opponents, or losing your family's rent money at the blackjack table are decidedly unhealthy gaming activities.

My own interests are in expressing Buddhist truths by interactive means, so that lends itself to non-violent games (which are pretty uncommon) and games that dissolve the player-ego, which is really troublesome when looking at games from a Buddhist perspective. If you're playing something as simple as Pong, the game is such that it's really hard to remove yourself from a "me (who has x amount of points) versus..." mindset, which is obviously counterproductive to a Buddhist discipline.

I do think it's possible to play games, even competitive ones, without getting dangerously involved in one's own ego. I believe there are a number of games that Korean monks and nuns traditionally play on holidays, so games themselves can't be so bad!
    Bump.
  • edited September 2011
    A while ago, I found a game online for kids. Where it was Pacman for Buddhist Kids. You went around eating lotuses and doing good things and avoided the bad karma. I wish I had bookmarked it. It was a relaxing game.

But I see video games as useless distractions unless they are done in moderation. :)

• There's a difference between enjoying videogames and being addicted to them. Even the Buddha knew this, and there were no videogames in his time.

As for violence in videogames, I can't say I've experienced any negative effects due to exposure to it, in my life thus far.

In fact I think there are a lot of myths surrounding violence.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    How about an adventure about an individual man/women/child/grandparent and etc, simply lives life. This thread reminds me of Sims! However, like most entertainment it became about sex, violence and profit. But I remember playing that game in the beginning it was amazing.
  • What you mean sims was amazing? It was quite fun, it seems quite silly when you think about it though, you sit down and play a game where you life a humdrum life doing daily activities lol.. Funny how it got so popular.
  • It was quite fun, it seems quite silly when you think about it though, you sit down and play a game where you life a humdrum life doing daily activities lol.. Funny how it got so popular.
    My guy always got so mad when I would not let him poop.
  • I wonder why? Poor guy probably had so many brown pixels stored up that he felt as if he would explode at any moment. Evil Bekenze, evil!!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    My guy always got so mad when I would not let him poop.
    Comment of the year.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    What you mean sims was amazing? It was quite fun, it seems quite silly when you think about it though, you sit down and play a game where you life a humdrum life doing daily activities lol.. Funny how it got so popular.
    It was amazing as the content , to how our reality life is was adapted to a video game, perhaps suggesting what others have suggeste that we reside in a virtual stimulation. This Is of course my opinion. But again I was like what 15?