Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation, Can you do it wrong?

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Im wondering:
I follow the stuff that I read, I put it into practice, and I feel calm etc. and I can see improvements, but Im worried that I could get into bad habits. Is there really any way to do it wrong?

Comments

• The oy thing I can think of is if you do it with a busy mind
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    of course you can do it wrong. Like any techniques in the world.

In the worse case you can even get lost misinterpretation what happen to you and basically drive yourself crazy, or become afraid of harmless things and give up what was perhaps a practice that was making great progress.

Or the simple example of someone new to concentration meditation, trying to force his mind to not think, getting frustrated really quickly and then believing he is incapable of meditating or that "it's just not for me".
    Which would prevent this person (perhaps even forever) of practicing an activity that could have been highly beneficial for his life.

This is why so many insist on the point of trying to find a teacher and qualified guidance.
  • Yes, it can go horrendously wrong, if you're stupid about it. It's wise to seek expert advice from time to time.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Yes, you can by using unwholesome states like fear or aversion to concentrate, for example. Or you can meditate perfectly well, but if you don't focus on the other aspects of the 8-fold path it still doesn't have much use. ;)

But if you feel calm, peaceful you aren't doing it wrong and you are fine. :) Keep on meditating!
  • Phew - I had been told not to force the thought process away xD
    I just meditate now because it feels relaxing - and actually, the thoughts do kinda go away, but not because Im trying to make them. I just dont want to get it wrong.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi meh_,

Then you are doing great! Rule number one in meditation: If it feels good, it is good. Nice peaceful focus is what we will develop.

You might like to find a good book on meditation and read into it more. As a start, here is some nice information about hindrances that might come up sooner or later that prevent you from going deeper:
    http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/The_Five_Hindrances_by_Ajahn_Brahmavamso

The mind is really very structured, it is amazing. Everything you experience as an obstacle fits into these five hindrances. Sometimes you run into something preventing you from going deeper and you can't find out what it is. Then think about the hindrances, it will be one of them or a combination of multiple. The Buddha was such a smart guy to find all this. :) As you can see, you were now experiencing the hindrance called Doubt ;)

Be warned though, not every meditation will be good. Sometimes it just doesn't work, everybody's meditation falls apart sometimes, even that of monks. That is then a blockade your mind has to take.

Also you might like to follow the precepts as they make your meditation easier (you might not yet notice, but they do)

Hope this helps.

With Metta,
    Sabre
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Im wondering:
    I follow the stuff that I read, I put it into practice, and I feel calm etc. and I can see improvements, but Im worried that I could get into bad habits. Is there really any way to do it wrong?
    Basically if you remember to treat yourself friendly (and to not declare war on your thoughts or your present state of mind) you will be fine.
    If you do long meditations (like several days in a row) for the first time, you should have a supervisor or be in a meditation-group.
  • of course you can do it wrong.
    Some teachers would disagree with that. There are perhaps less correct ways, or less than optimal ways, but I don't think there's a "wrong" way to meditate.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Meditation is just calmly watching what the mind is doing. What is being experienced; that everything arises and passes away due to conditions (is impermanent and not-self). It's dedicating a time/place to be quietly mindful of the mind's activity. It's hard to do it wrong, but it takes focus and dedication to stay with it.
  • If you stick with it and consult experienced people to help you it will eventually go right. Patience with arisings is never wasted.
  • Im wondering:
    Meditation cannot be practised. It is not a willful, doable act like eating, laughing, or thinking. It is more like sleeping where the sleeper ceases to exist.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It is more like sleeping where the sleeper ceases to exist.
    Why didn't you tell the guy with the "Is it OK to fall asleep while meditating" thread this? :lol:
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Im wondering:
    Meditation cannot be practised. It is not a willful, doable act like eating, laughing, or thinking. It is more like sleeping where the sleeper ceases to exist.
    you are describing samadhi states.

meditation, in the context of this thread, is a technique. something that the person willfully do.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    of course you can do it wrong.
    Some teachers would disagree with that. There are perhaps less correct ways, or less than optimal ways, but I don't think there's a "wrong" way to meditate.
    would you mind pointing me to one of theses teachers perhaps?

there are many things we can do to make the time we spend on the cushion miserable, as in my last example. Wouldn't you say this is a wrong way to meditate? at least for the sake of simplicity and clarity to answer the question of a beginner?
  • Well I don't have access to a Sangha, meditation group or teacher unfortunately.
    All I do is sit in my chair, keeping my back straight with cushions, feet flat to the floor, count my breaths - trying to keep a focus on a particular point in my nose where the breath touches. If my mind wanders, I just go back to the breathing - without trying to fight it, just accepting it. After 10 mins or so I feel very peaceful, despite the internal discussion, and the longer I spend, the deeper it gets.

Anything wrong with this?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @meh_, That's just the beginning. Once your mind is calm, counting breaths has no further purpose. Then you move on to watching everything that's arising and passing, every experience of the mind.
  • meh_, where do you live?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Meditation is just calmly watching what the mind is doing. What is being experienced; that everything arises and passes away due to conditions (is impermanent and not-self). It's dedicating a time/place to be quietly mindful of the mind's activity. It's hard to do it wrong, but it takes focus and dedication to stay with it.
    It occured to me that this could also be a description of the fourth foundation of mindfulness - do you see a difference between mindfulness and and meditation?

P
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @porpoise, No real difference, no. Meditation is dedicating a sitting or a walking, and a time, to mindfulness. The greatest meditation is being mindful all of the time, IMO. :) This is difficult to pull off though, so we start with sitting for X amount of time quietly and calming/focusing the mind. We carry this over into our daily mindfulness, and our ability to "pay attention" grows and grows. Quiet sitting meditation is usually needed for the more refined states of meditation like the jhanas, or for dedicated focus on an aspect of reality (i.e. impermanence or dukkha).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    @porpoise, No real difference, no. Meditation is dedicating a sitting or a walking, and a time, to mindfulness. The greatest meditation is being mindful all of the time, IMO. :) This is difficult to pull off though, so we start with sitting for X amount of time quietly and calming/focusing the mind. We carry this over into our daily mindfulness, and our ability to "pay attention" grows and grows. Quiet sitting meditation is usually needed for the more refined states of meditation like the jhanas, or for dedicated focus on an aspect of reality (i.e. impermanence or dukkha).
    Yes, I agree. It does seem that a regular meditation practice provides a solid foundation for mindfulness off the cushion, helping us to develop Right Mindfulness. And sitting practice also helps us to develop Right Concentration - hopefully. ;-)

P
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Well I don't have access to a Sangha, meditation group or teacher unfortunately.
    All I do is sit in my chair, keeping my back straight with cushions, feet flat to the floor, count my breaths - trying to keep a focus on a particular point in my nose where the breath touches. If my mind wanders, I just go back to the breathing - without trying to fight it, just accepting it. After 10 mins or so I feel very peaceful, despite the internal discussion, and the longer I spend, the deeper it gets.

Anything wrong with this?
    you are doing great!

if you don't have a teacher it's fine for now. Just when you get stuck, or feel like you are lost, find a qualified teacher to describe your concerns to, either on the internet but preferably face to face.
    welcome to the modern era where you can find plenty of instructions from around the world effortlessly.

if you can afford it, i strongly recommand you to buy "Mindfulness, Bliss & Beyond" from Ajahn Brham which can be your concentration meditation companion for years to come.
    http://www.ajahnbrahm.org/books.html
  • This is why I don't listen to other people's advice. Lots of people saying there are a lot of ways it go wrong...I don't know what exactly is the worse that can happen (!!!!!!!!)...but I like the simpler answers the best.

In fact, trying to incorporate mindfulness in my 24 hour day-to-day, has been a lot more effective than to have to sit in a position I can't really manage (actually right now I can't even sit due to coccyx pain) and try to be there for 15 mins or more....

It's all about paying attention, being aware, being accepting, and making peace with whatever is happening. It's an innate human quality! You are just fleshing it out. It's not rocket science.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This is why I don't listen to other people's advice. Lots of people saying there are a lot of ways it go wrong...I don't know what exactly is the worse that can happen (!!!!!!!!)...but I like the simpler answers the best.

In fact, trying to incorporate mindfulness in my 24 hour day-to-day, has been a lot more effective than to have to sit in a position I can't really manage (actually right now I can't even sit due to coccyx pain) and try to be there for 15 mins or more....

It's all about paying attention, being aware, being accepting, and making peace with whatever is happening. It's an innate human quality! You are just fleshing it out. It's not rocket science.
    Yes, mindfulness in daily life is great! Glad you are enjoying the benefits.
    You can even do Vipassana off the cushion.

But don't dismiss the benefits of concentration meditation (which is not possible to do off the cushion, or at least you must stay still), as it will allow you to strengthen your ability to focus your mind without being distracted and benefit the mindfulness practice that you already incorporated in your life.

Without even mentioning the concentration states (Jhanas) that result of a stronger concentration.

If you don't mind me suggesting, since i've notice that you seem to have had troubles with sitting meditation, have you ever heard of Kasina meditation?
    It is a concentration meditation, but instead of focusing on the breath, you focus on a external object.

Basically you can simply take a bowl or cutout a circle out of paper, must be of earth color, and prop it agaisnt a wall or on a chair. It must be slightly lower than your eye level at about 4-7 feet distance (so your eyes dont strain.)
    Then stare at it and refocus your attention on it everytimes you get distracted.
    and just see what happen. :)
    This technique was incredibly easier than breath meditation for me to concentrate, something about the eyes being open and the object being far more obvious.
    You can even do this standing up if you want.

I think it is a wonderful technique for people who think alot, the thoughts seem to be less distracting using kasinas.

my first 10 minutes doing this was all it took to convince me.
  • By concentration meditation I assume you mean focusing on the same thing indefinitely just for longer periods.

Yes, I plan on doing that when I can. I just personally have quite a problem with routine "tasks". It's not that it's boring to do 15 minutes of meditation (which... it is) twice a day . It's that it's boring to plan, to have to remember, to convince myself I have to do it on saturdays and sundays too...that if I get home too late I still ahve to do it, etc....Following a regimen is harder than something I can do every time everywhere.But, yeah, I'm sure one reaps benefits faster that way. Even though benefits shouldn't really be the point :P (ah...buddhism is hard sometimes).
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This is why I don't listen to other people's advice. Lots of people saying there are a lot of ways it go wrong...I don't know what exactly is the worse that can happen (!!!!!!!!)...but I like the simpler answers the best.

Beautiful!
    Great sum up!
  • This is why I don't listen to other people's advice. Lots of people saying there are a lot of ways it go wrong...I don't know what exactly is the worse that can happen (!!!!!!!!)...
    Here are some detailed descriptions of what can go wrong, based on the author's personal experience. (Search forward for "Damnitall.")

• would you mind pointing me to one of theses teachers perhaps?
    Jon Kabat-Zinn, for one. Please re-read my post. It depends on how you define "wrong". You might get more out of some practices than others, but I don't believe it's possible to meditate "wrongly".
  • Some people simply should not meditate. I suffered the ill effects for 20 years

99.99% of people, I including, are clueless as to what really happens during meditation. It is the most complex, yet most accessible thing one can practice, and therein lies the paradox. To me it is akin to operating a nuclear reactor without a guide.

Having read your posts, I don't think you have much to worry about. The ill effects would have shown up by now.

http://www.openbuddha.com/2002/09/06/the-dangers-of-mediation/

PS. The daoists have a leg up on the buddhist when it comes to understanding the mechanics of meditation. All the best.
  • A teacher described meditation as training a puppy to stay on a mat.
    When it moves away, you gently put it back on the mat, repeatedly.
    No scolding, no punishment, no anger.
    Patiently & kindly bring it back.
  • Some people simply should not meditate. I suffered the ill effects for 20 years

99.99% of people, I including, are clueless as to what really happens during meditation. It is the most complex, yet most accessible thing one can practice, and therein lies the paradox. To me it is akin to operating a nuclear reactor without a guide.

Having read your posts, I don't think you have much to worry about. The ill effects would have shown up by now.

http://www.openbuddha.com/2002/09/06/the-dangers-of-mediation/

PS. The daoists have a leg up on the buddhist when it comes to understanding the mechanics of meditation. All the best.
    Aiya,everyone has Buddha nature thus everyone can meditate.Meditation is not for the exclusive few.You were not meditating.You were doing relaxation exercises.There are no dangers of any sort if we chant(do repetition) a few rounds with our mala before we start our meditation.There are no ill effects too.

"PS. The daoists have a leg up on the buddhist when it comes to understanding the mechanics of meditation. All the best."

We have great compassion for daoists for they do not know what they are talking about.You are one good example of daoists who has suffered 20 years of ill effects of meditation.

• @deepak- did you read the article she cited? I think you should. I'm even tempted to start a separate thread about it.

Daoists don't know what they're talking about? Humbleone is a good example of Daoists who has suffered 20 years of ill effects of meditation?

How do you know she was doing relaxation exercises?

I cite Tara Brach in her book "Radical Acceptance" to the point that someone who has established a good meditation practice having painful psychological phenomena happen to her while meditation. I also cite my own personal cup-of-tea interview with HE Jampal Shenpen, the 98th Ganden Tri Rinpoche of the Gelug School of Vajrayana Buddhism, which regarded the Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder I have had difficulty with my whole adult life in which he told me "Don't meditate too much".

Can you give us a citation to back up your unequivocal assertion that there are (apparently, according to you) no ill effects ever suffered by anyone from meditation?

Humbleone appears to be new to the forum. We usually treat new people with politeness and courtesy, and have developed polite ways to disagree with people.
  • edited March 2011
    This is why I don't listen to other people's advice. Lots of people saying there are a lot of ways it go wrong...I don't know what exactly is the worse that can happen (!!!!!!!!)...
    Here are some detailed descriptions of what can go wrong, based on the author's personal experience. (Search forward for "Damnitall.")
    "pronounced anxiety, paranoia, depression, apathy, micro-psychotic episodes, a pervasive sense of primal frustration, pronounced lack of perspective on relationships, reduced libido, feelings of dissatisfaction with worldly affairs, and exacerbation of personality disorders" ?

Well there's always some risk involved in everything. And if you think about it for a second, when your goal is to fully realize non-self....the odds you might go crazy are pretty high ;) Seriously though, there are possible side effects to everything. That is why following someone else's advice is a bad way to approach.....anything really. Our instincts and common sense and our first experiences can tell us most of what we need to know about something.

That is also why I said in another thread (and I'm the guy you DON'T want talking about meditation since I'm the youngest of meditation neophytes) that if it's causing you trouble you just shouldn't stick with meditation. Meditation has to prove it's worth to you. Otherwise there's just no point.
  • Seriously though, there are possible side effects to everything. That is why following someone else's advice is a bad way to approach.....anything really. Our instincts and common sense and our first experiences can tell us most of what we need to know about something.
    What's the term for when someone reaches exactly the opposite conclusion that the facts they cited would seem to support? Non sequitur fits, strictly speaking, but there must be something more specific...
  • What exactly do you mean?
  • If there are possible side-effects, why wouldn't you seek advice? Your argument seems upside down.
  • Firstly because it's the first time I've heard them. I don't know the source of such data. Secondly, because it's one thing to see advice and quite another to INFORM yourself.

I've researched for myself when it came to meditation. I didn't ask for advice from one or two people and decided it was a good idea. Then comes common sense - I'm aware that some people are more prone to psychological damage and I'm aware I'm not one of them based on my entire life. Also, I'm aware that it's not one session that is going to make irreparable damage to me based on what I've read and heard and from understanding what meditation actually is.

Really, in the end only I can decide what is right for me. If I base myself solely on what others say, based on the data you've linked, how could I ever know if it was risky or not? In which scenario would I ever take the plunge?
  • Well, I'm very independently minded, too. I think it's important for people to take responsibility for what they believe, rather than pass that responsibility off by trusting someone else. But if I repeatedly hear that there's a risk involved in an activity (and you don't have to look far to hear about the risks involved in meditation) I am going to also research what it would take to mitigate those potential risks.

It is not too hard to understand the mechanistic basis of the risks in meditation. Buddhist practice is essentially a means of taking apart the karma which we have based our lives on. That karma has evolved over decades, and is quite intricately structured. When you start pulling on parts of it, it can have unpredictable knock-on effects. Often, there is a lot of energy tied up by the karma, and releasing it in unskillful ways can severely disrupt the practitioner's life. And once you start taking it apart, the structure is likely to remain unstable, so you can't really afford to stop until you're finished. It's essentially the same set of problems which would arise from demolishing your own house.
  • Just to add to what fivebells is saying, the unexpected neurological and psychological effects can possibly be dangerous, as the article cited explains. I had not heard of those particular unexpected side effects, but it's pretty interesting.

Studies done with functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging and electroencephalogram show that meditation has pretty profound effects on the brain, and for some people these can lead to bad experiences.
  • Well, I'm very independently minded, too. I think it's important for people to take responsibility for what they believe, rather than pass that responsibility off by trusting someone else. But if I repeatedly hear that there's a risk involved in an activity (and you don't have to look far to hear about the risks involved in meditation) I am going to also research what it would take to mitigate those potential risks.

It is not too hard to understand the mechanistic basis of the risks in meditation. Buddhist practice is essentially a means of taking apart the karma which we have based our lives on. That karma has evolved over decades, and is quite intricately structured. When you start pulling on parts of it, it can have unpredictable knock-on effects. Often, there is a lot of energy tied up by the karma, and releasing it in unskillful ways can severely disrupt the practitioner's life. And once you start taking it apart, the structure is likely to remain unstable, so you can't really afford to stop until you're finished. It's essentially the same set of problems which would arise from demolishing your own house.
    Hmm. I will admit maybe my research hasn't been thorough enough, considering this is the first time I heard about it.

I will say, that based on my limited experience, I haven't experienced anything "BAD"....but, what you described is my one gripe with Buddhism as a whole. I have this nagging feeling that separating myself so much from the past, my personality and everything else....well, sometimes I do question whether I'm doing the right thing or the thing I really believe in.

• I have this nagging feeling that separating myself so much from the past, my personality and everything else....well, sometimes I do question whether I'm doing the right thing or the thing I really believe in.
    Not sure what you mean here, and would be interested to hear more. Glad you haven't suffered any ill effects yourself.
  • I've always felt that if you're sitting down with the intention of being aware of the mind and body, then you are meditating.
  • You said - "Buddhist practice is essentially a means of taking apart the karma which we have based our lives on. "

Buddhism makes one face everything bad about one's character or attitude towards life. Sarcasm is bad, addictions are bad, attachment is bad.....a lot of things that constitute our personality (lack of patience or constant joking to cover up a sad life etc) are not really good karma. Changing one's karma means changing oneself.

You are basically reprogramming yourself. I'm attached to certain parts of how I am. I like being the funny guy amidst friends, I like my dark sense of humor sometimes, or playing with people's heads etc etc The nagging feeling I have is that I'm killing my sense of identity...my habits...who I am! Identity is something very important for me. So is coherence. And buddhism is fucking that up for me in a way.

In theory I could see how someone might become kinda schizophrenic after a while along the path :P
  • Many people already have mental problems before they start meditating.
    My friend believes his son has schizophrenia bcos he learned meditation.
  • Please forgive me , I am not good in eng-language . I think meditation practice (contemplation or vipasana meditation ) is made base on your dhamma knowledge . Only I can suggest is to read a book.I am sure this book supports your dhamma knowledge.
    (Dr. Mehm Tin Mon: The Essence of Buddha-Abhidhamma)

First you should read http://www.abhidhamma.org/sitagu sayadaw.htm
    and , http://www.abhidhamma.org/abhidhamma_and_practice.htm
  • In some sense it can be practiced wrong in some sense not so. You may note your results with a meditation method and receive guidance. But it is not another thing to beat yourself up about.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, there is definitely a wrong way to meditate. I can tell you right now that if your meditation is causing any kind of tension or tightness in your head, then you are doing it wrong. Well, not necesarily wrong, so to speak, but you are practicing a meditation that does not conduce to nibbana. The Buddha taught the four noble truths: Suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the way leading the the cessation of suffering. As for the second noble truth, what did the buddha say was the cause of suffering? The buddha said that 'craving' is the cause of suffering. What is craving? Is it when I get hungry? Is it when I want to go for a walk? Is it when I want to go play video games? A lot of the time people are being told that 'desire' is the cause of suffering, and to a certain extent that is true, but what the buddha was really talking about was 'thana; which is the pali word that is often translated into 'craving,' or 'desire.' The word tanha really refers to the reaction that takes place in your mind when a feeling arises. Your mind will say 'I don't like that,' and tighten down around it, or it will say 'Boy, I sure like that, I want some more of that.' Craving doesn't necesarily mean wanting, or disliking, it specifically refers to your minds reaction to the feeling, which manifests in thoughts of 'I want that/ I don't want that.' In the suttas and especially in the mindfulness of the body sutta, the buddha talks about breathing meditation. And what did the buddha say when he was talking about breathing meditation? He said:

Breathing in long, he understands; 'I breath in long'; or breathing out long he understand: 'I breath out long.' Breathing in short, he understands: 'I breath in short'; or breathing out short, he understands: ' I breath out short.'

(Now this is the important part)

*He trains thus*

'I shall breath in experiencing my entire physical body,' he trains thus: 'I shall breath out experiencing my entire physical body.' He trains thus: ' I shall breath in *tranquilizing* the entire physical body,' he trains thus: 'I will breath out *tranquilizing* the entire physical body.'

(Taken from the Majhima Nikaya, Sutta 10, Paragraph 4)

Why did the buddha say to breath in and relax, and to breath out and relax? Because the Buddha recognized that craving (the cause of suffering) always manifests as tension and tightness in your mind and in your body. And that the fast way to experience the cessation of suffering (which is the goal of the buddhist path) is to r-e-l-a-x :):). When you practice this meditation (which is the meditation that the Buddha taught through out his lifetime, you will get into Jhanas, you will see dependent origination, and you will experience Nibbana. It's as simple as that. Good luck. :):).