Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth: does it matter?

DaozenDaozen Veteran
edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
There's a lot of debate about rebirth. The question is: does it matter?

What i mean is, shouldn't we be more concerned with reducing the suffering of ourselves, and ideally others too, in this life, or even better, this moment?

What happens when we die ... well, we'll find out then, won't we.

I think this thought could save a lot of pointless debate.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Here we go again, yet another rebirth thread. The Buddha taught (literal, not momentary) rebirth, again and again in the Suttas. You are right, no debate necessary.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm not questioning whether Buddha taught rebirth. I agree that he did.

I am questioning whether it is relevent to our everyday life & practice.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    For me, it is important to think about this life as just one life in a series of many many lifetimes. If we think this life is all there is, that will have an influence on what we think is important and therefore how we act in the world. The same can be said about thinking that this life is but one of many.

By thinking that this life is all there ever has been, before that nothing, and no matter what, there will be no future birth then all spiritual endeavor is basically meaningless. The Buddha taught that the goal of the holy life is Nibbana, of which the Arahants declare 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.' In other words, if there is no life after death, then there is no need for the Noble Eightfold Path, as is the case for the Arahants.

People who hold the wrong view that there is no rebirth will have no motivation to practice the Eightfold Path. Even if they accept that there is suffering, then they will most likely take one of two paths (or a combination of the two): either try to get as much sensual pleasure as possible having not seen the dangers...or kill themselves.

Of course, they might still be moral people, even without believing in rebirth. They might still meditate and try to train their minds, even without rebirth. But, I can't see how they could have a sense of urgency (Samvega) or confidence (Pasada) without rebirth, therefore there is not really going to be much chance of realizing any real fruit.

Here's an article about Samvega and Pasada by Thanissaro Bhikkhu: http://herenow.org/wwwArticles/samvega.html
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    It is if we're aiming for Nibbana, and think we might not 'get there' this time....

(Yes, I know it's not 'a place' but a state of 'Mind'....just being expeditious...)
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    By thinking that this life is all there ever has been, before that nothing, and no matter what, there will be no future birth then all spiritual endeavor is basically meaningless.
    Why? What would happen in our next life to make it any different to this one? The meaning is the same.

No matter our number of lives, our LIFE is now.
    I can't see how they could have a sense of urgency (Samvega) or confidence (Pasada) without rebirth, therefore there is not really going to be much chance of realizing any real fruit.
    Having only one life surely makes it all the MORE urgent?
  • edited April 2010
    Daozen wrote: »

What i mean is, shouldn't we be more concerned with reducing the suffering of ourselves, and ideally others too, in this life, or even better, this moment?

Hi Daozen,

Speculating about rebirth in the future has no relevance to my current practice .

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Why? What would happen in our next life to make it any different to this one? The meaning is the same.

No matter our number of lives, our LIFE is now.

We are, in this life, human beings. We might not be so lucky next time. We have access to learning about and practicing the Dhamma - not all humans have this rare and amazing opportunity. Even fewer are those who, having heard the Dhamma, practice rightly and fully penetrate the meaning of it.

Therefore, seeing this lifetime in this framework makes this life that much more important and valuable that we do the right thing now while we have such fortunate circumstances.
    Having only one life surely makes it all the MORE urgent?

If consciousness does not arise in any state after death (i.e. no rebirth) then pari-nibbana is guaranteed no matter how unskilfully one lives ones life now.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To elaborate on that issue of "if there is no rebirth, life is meaningless" ...

Meaning is something that we create ourselves. It's a human construct, a thought pattern. We can make this life as meaningful or as meaningless as we wish. And I'm saying that choice is independent of our belief (or lack thereof) in rebirth.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thank you for playing devil's advocate (or should I say Mara's advocate) Daozen, you have helped me to clarify my own views by attempting to articulate them (which is not easy for me).
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Seeing this lifetime in this framework makes this life that much more important and valuable that we do the right thing now while we have such fortunate circumstances.
    But if we have only one life, that is even more favourable, and should spur us on further! To me, rebirth means i'll always get another chance, which is actually demotivating.
    If consciousness does not arise in any state after death (i.e. no rebirth) then pari-nibbana is guaranteed no matter how unskilfully one lives ones life now.
    Maybe. Or, we just die. Nothing. But I'm not speculating on that.

I'm talking about how one's belief/non-belief in rebirth affects us NOW, and saying, really, does it matter if it adds nothing in particular to our practice?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thank you for playing devil's advocate (or should I say Mara's advocate) Daozen, you have helped me to clarify my own views by attempting to articulate them (which is not easy for me).
    No problem!

Namaste
  • edited April 2010
    I've heard the cycle of death and rebirth explained as a tree branch that grows a leaf; the leaf falls to the ground and dies, and in it's place a new, but similar leaf is born on the same branch.

Matter and energy cannot be destroyed, so our physical composition will be reborn into something else. Who knows if we'll remember our identity though, nor is it, or may not be important.

Also, the whole quest for meaning in life is just another desire that is born out of man's insecurity of living in an existence that just exists. I think it takes years of intellectual development to finally accept or realize this.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I've heard the cycle of death and rebirth explained as a tree branch that grows a leaf; the leaf falls to the ground and dies, and in it's place a new, but similar leaf is born on the same branch.
    I call that rebirth-lite :) In Buddha's full-version-rebirth, the new leaf remembers its past lives.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To elaborate on that issue of "if there is no rebirth, life is meaningless" ...

Meaning is something that we create ourselves. It's a human construct, a thought pattern. We can make this life as meaningful or as meaningless as we wish. And I'm saying that choice is independent of our belief (or lack thereof) in rebirth.

That depends on how you define "life as meaningful". Some people may hold that the most "meaningful" way of life is one spent pursuing sense pleasures. Some people might think that a "meaningful" life is one spent raising a family. Some people might think that a "meaningful" life is one spent being generous and caring, not only for our immediate family, but for other beings as well. Some might think that the most "meaningful" way to spend one's time is to go off into the forest and meditate.

What we consider "meaningful" is conditioned by what we know and what we don't know. Some people's definition of "meaningful" is more meaningful than others. In a Buddhist context, the most meaningful life we can live is one aimed at Nibbana.
  • edited April 2010
    Just out of curiousity, if there is no self and no soul, then what part of us get's reincarnated?

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Just out of curiousity, if there is no self and no soul, then what part of us get's reincarnated? .
    Roughly speaking, our consciousness, or so the story goes. As a non-believer, i'm probably not the best qualified to answer.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Just out of curiousity, if there is no self and no soul, then what part of us get's reincarnated?

As I understand it, it is a causal process. Consciousness arises according to unfinished business (i.e. craving) of a being who has just died.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    That depends on how you define "life as meaningful". Some people may hold that the most "meaningful" way of life is one spent pursuing sense pleasures. Some people might think that a "meaningful" life is one spent raising a family. Some people might think that a "meaningful" life is one spent being generous and caring, not only for our immediate family, but for other beings as well. Some might think that the most "meaningful" way to spend one's time is to go off into the forest and meditate.

What we consider "meaningful" is conditioned by what we know and what we don't know. Some people's definition of "meaningful" is more meaningful than others. In a Buddhist context, the most meaningful life we can live is one aimed at Nibbana.
    Good points.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not questioning whether Buddha taught rebirth. I agree that he did.

I am questioning whether it is relevent to our everyday life & practice.
    It depends on the individual and their methods/path of practice.
    there is no universal answer.
  • edited April 2010
    Roughly speaking, our consciousness, or so the story goes. As a non-believer, i'm probably not the best qualified to answer.
    No. "consciousness" is not what continues. This is a common misconception, and the main reason so many people baulk at the idea of rebirth. The teachings on rebirth are deeply rooted in the philosophic structure of the teachings. Rebirth is a functional and logical means of avoiding extreme views. Rebirth as it is taught in Buddhism is a very sophisticated philosophical conclusion based upon dependent origination and the avoidance of eternalism and nihilism.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddha was pained by the fact that his loved ones would eventually die. It all seemed meaningless..

He found a truth which was valid beyond birth and death and found they are just appearances.

From the perspective of those of us who are deluded by the appearances of life and death rebirth appears meaningful. Another life begins. Just as another thought. Or another dream.

Upon enlightenment this doesn't apply anymore because we don't identify with the next thought world or dream.

This can be seen in meditation as I'm sure you agree we are not enlightened and we still get sucked into thought worlds.
  • edited April 2010

What about karma & vipaka (effects of karma)? Does that take place in only one lifetime? If yes, why the differences among sentient beings. If no, then how do we know our actions will not hurt instead of helping?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The teachings on rebirth are deeply rooted in the philosophic structure of the teachings. Rebirth is a functional and logical means of avoiding extreme views. Rebirth as it is taught in Buddhism is a very sophisticated philosophical conclusion based upon dependent origination and the avoidance of eternalism and nihilism.

Really? I always thought that the Buddha taught about rebirth because he saw the reality of it for himself (having remembered his past lives) and it became one of the key insights to his Awakening, not because he thought it sounded good from a philosophical point of view nor any other reason.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If yes, why the differences among sentient beings.
    Nature and nurture...? Kamma...? There is cause-and-effect whether there's a single lifetime or many. :\
    Really? I always thought that the Buddha taught about rebirth because he saw the reality of it for himself (having remembered his past lives) and it became one of the key insights to his Awakening, not because he thought it sounded good from a philosophical point of view nor any other reason.
    That isn't quite what Shenpen said. Refer to the actual quote just above your butchered paraphrasing. :P

How do you feel it was a key insight into his Awakening? In what way? Why do the suttas deny it as a key element on the path to Nibbana ("remembering past lives")?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    But if we have only one life, that is even more favourable, and should spur us on further! To me, rebirth means i'll always get another chance, which is actually demotivating.

Maybe. Or, we just die. Nothing. But I'm not speculating on that.

I'm talking about how one's belief/non-belief in rebirth affects us NOW, and saying, really, does it matter if it adds nothing in particular to our practice?

Rebirth is only demotivating if you think that its good to keep being born (getting old, getting sick, dying, being associated with the unpleasant, being seperated from the pleasant, etc) again and again and again. If you recognize that "BIRTH IS SUFFERING" (and all that follows it) then you will want to get off the wheel of Samsara ASAP especially now when the conditions are right. Maybe we might not be so fortunate to hear the teachings of a Samma-SamBuddha for another billion aeons if we miss the boat this time. Doesn't this give you a sense of urgency?
  • edited April 2010
    Nature and nurture...? Kamma...?

Right - Nature is past life Kamma-vipaka. Nurture is present-life kamma.
  • edited April 2010

But why did he turn his concentrated vision to that subject? Perhaps it had something to do with trying to confirm or deny an intellectual component that seem to be needed in his thinking.

From MN 19:
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two... five, ten... fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.

"This was the first knowledge I attained in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    How do you feel it was a key insight into his Awakening? In what way? Why do the suttas deny it as a key element on the path to Nibbana ("remembering past lives")?

I refer to this Sutta:
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two... five, ten... fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details.
    "This was the first knowledge I attained in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind or remain.

"Maha-Saccaka Sutta: The Longer Discourse to Saccaka" (MN 36), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 7, 2009, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.036.than.html
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    But why did he turn his concentrated vision to that subject? Perhaps it had something to do with trying to confirm or deny an intellectual component that seem to be needed in his thinking.

Having a still mind (one which has just emerged from Jhana) is the pre-requisite for developing insight which will lead to Nibbana.
  • edited April 2010
    Having a still mind (one which has just emerged from Jhana) is the pre-requisite for developing insight which will lead to Nibbana.

Of course; but I did not mean he was pondering his system of thought in any of the Jhanas right before his Bodhi insights.

I meant he had been trying to solve the problem of suffering for years and I am sure he put some intellectual effort into the solution. The intellect could not solve it; he needed direct insight of a Buddha. These insights naturally flowed from the major questions in his own mind, from those previous years of thinking.

For other posters who wonder about the value of rebirth, here is how Bhikkhu Bodhi described it:
    The above considerations are not intended to make belief in rebirth a necessary basis for ethics. The Buddha himself does not try to found ethics on the ideas of kamma and rebirth, but uses a purely naturalistic type of moral reasoning that does not presuppose personal survival or the working of kamma. The gist of his reasoning is simply that we should not mistreat others — by injuring them, stealing their belongings, exploiting them sexually, or deceiving them — because we ourselves are averse to being treated in such ways. Nevertheless, though the Buddha does not found ethics on the theory of rebirth, he does make belief in kamma and rebirth a strong inducement to moral behavior. When we recognize that our good and bad actions can rebound upon ourselves, determining our future lives and bringing us happiness or suffering, this gives us a decisive reason to avoid unwholesome conduct and to diligently pursue the good.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    That isn't quite what Shenpen said. Refer to the actual quote just above your butchered paraphrasing. :P

Yeah, you're right, I probably could have said it better. The point I was trying to make was that the Buddha wasn't a philosopher, he didn't think his way to enlightenment. His conclusions came from his direct experience. I am not even so sure that Shenpen disagrees on this point, but it was the impression I originally got, maybe I'm wrong.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I was already aware of the sutta you were referring to--but what I asked was how that insight was key or even part of his Awakening. It sounds like you can only speculate and honestly your guesses seem to be stretching it. Other suttas outright deny that such an ability plays a part in Awakening. Besides, that sutta has been debated to death on here so there's no point in me reiterating...
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Other suttas outright deny that such an ability plays a part in Awakening.

Such as?
  • edited April 2010
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu gives a traditional & sagely summation of the Awakening:
    The first knowledge, that of the regularity of the Dhamma, is the describable part of the process of Awakening; the second knowledge, that of Unbinding, though indescribable, is what guarantees the worth of the first: When one has been totally freed from all suffering and stress, one knows that one has properly mastered the realm of fabrication and can vouch for the usefulness of the insights that led to that freedom. Truth, here, is simply the way things work; true knowledge is gauged by how skillfully one can manipulate them.

There are many places in the Pali canon where the Buddha describes his own act of Awakening to the first knowledge as consisting of three insights:

1.recollection of past lives,
    2.insight into the death and rebirth of beings throughout the cosmos, and
    3.insight into the ending of the mental effluents or fermentations (asava) within the mind.
    The first two insights were not the exclusive property of the Buddhist tradition. Shamanic traditions throughout the world have reported seers who have had similar insights. The third insight, however, went beyond shamanism into a phenomenology of the mind, i.e., a systematic account of phenomena as they are directly experienced. This insight was exclusively Buddhist, although it was based on the previous two.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It sounds like you can only speculate and honestly your guesses seem to be stretching it.

I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not enlightened. All I have to work with is what the Suttas seem to suggest (to me) which, as you say, are open to interpretation and debate.

It does seem to me that Rebirth, Kamma and Four Noble Truths are the three key insights which led to the Buddha's awakening. How does it appear to you?
  • edited April 2010
    We can't know what really matters or not until we have gained wisdom. The Buddha taught us supramundane truths that are beyond the level of conceptual knowledge we deal with in our everyday lives. To discount any part of the teachings because it doesn't make sense to us now is pretty silly, to put it as mildly as I can.

Understand all of the teachings as best you can on the conceptual level. If you can't believe, at least find the wisdom within yourself to not disbelieve. The master gives us what is yet to us unclear. We, the students, must have confidence that in time we will understand fully; we will realize for ourselves.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Right - Nature is past life Kamma-vipaka. Nurture is present-life kamma.
    Nature/nurture is a false dichotomy. Everything is 'natural', including whatever 'nurturing' we receive.
    Rebirth is only demotivating if you think that its good to keep being born (getting old, getting sick, dying, being associated with the unpleasant, being seperated from the pleasant, etc) again and again and again. If you recognize that "BIRTH IS SUFFERING" (and all that follows it) then you will want to get off the wheel of Samsara ASAP especially now when the conditions are right.
    Fair point. Note however that rebirth-disbelief can also be motivating ("i've only got one shot, better make the most of it"). Hence my assertion it doesn't matter which you believe.
    (Quoting Bikkhu Bodhi) The above considerations are not intended to make belief in rebirth a necessary basis for ethics. The Buddha himself does not try to found ethics on the ideas of kamma and rebirth, but uses a purely naturalistic type of moral reasoning that does not presuppose personal survival or the working of kamma. The gist of his reasoning is simply that we should not mistreat others — by injuring them, stealing their belongings, exploiting them sexually, or deceiving them — because we ourselves are averse to being treated in such ways. Nevertheless, though the Buddha does not found ethics on the theory of rebirth, he does make belief in kamma and rebirth a strong inducement to moral behavior. When we recognize that our good and bad actions can rebound upon ourselves, determining our future lives and bringing us happiness or suffering, this gives us a decisive reason to avoid unwholesome conduct and to diligently pursue the good.
    I don't think we need rebirth and kamma as inducements to moral behaviour. It's quite clear to anyone who observes the world that our actions affect others and ourselves in this life. We can use that, along with inights into our interbeing with others, as a basis for compassionate living that is independent of any belief in rebirth.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    We can't know what really matters or not until we have gained wisdom. The Buddha taught us supramundane truths that are beyond the level of conceptual knowledge we deal with in our everyday lives. To discount any part of the teachings because it doesn't make sense to us now is pretty silly, to put it as mildly as I can.

Understand all of the teachings as best you can on the conceptual level. If you can't believe, at least find the wisdom within yourself to not disbelieve. The master gives us what is yet to us unclear. We, the students, must have confidence that in time we will understand fully; we will realize for ourselves.
    Sorry, don't have your blind faith in things i don't understand. I can only go on what i DO understand, which is that rebirth probably isn't true, but more importantly and the point of this post, that ultimately doesn't matter anyway, because it is our actions here and now that count, and all the rest will work itself out.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Note however that rebirth-disbelief can also be motivating ("i've only got one shot, better make the most of it"). Hence my assertion it doesn't matter which you believe.

What is the motivation to practice the Noble Eightfold Path, to end suffering, if Pari-Nibbana (the total ending of the five aggregates) is guaranteed at the end of this life?
  • edited April 2010
    I don't have blind faith. I have an absence of both belief and disbelief on things that I can neither prove nor disprove. That's the only correct way to view things. Otherwise, your attachments are causing you suffering, and that suffering perpetuates itself in myriad ways (such as... threads on rebirth). :) Anyway, I've been down this road before, and only you can pull yourself from the pit; my two cents are already in. As to me, I'm out... ciao.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What is the motivation to practice the Noble Eightfold Path, to end suffering, if Pari-Nibbana (the total ending of the five aggregates) is guaranteed at the end of this life?

As we improve ourselves, we improve the collective experience of the entire planet for this and future generations. Self-improvement is not for the self's improvement.

Not that I am discounting multiple lifetimes. I'm saying... now is important no matter how you slice it.

With warmth,

Matt
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010

To live in this life free from dukkha? :confused: Oh and what that guy said. ^ :confused:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To live in this life free from dukkha? :confused: Oh and what that guy said. ^ :confused:
    Why not just commit suicide to end Dukkha (not that I am suggesting anyone should do this), if there is no rebirth, surely that's the easiest way?

That is, assuming that someone accepts that the First Noble Truth is indeed true but somehow doesn't accept rebirth. Of course, most people who don't practice the Noble Eightfold Path don't do so because they don't think that Dukkha has anything to do with their life, most people don't want to hear about Dukkha. A lot of people just want to get drunk and party and forget the consequences.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Based on your contributions here, it seems extremely unlikely that you really want pari-nibbana.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Based on your contributions here, it seems extremely unlikely that you really want pari-nibbana.

What makes you say that?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    As we improve ourselves, we improve the collective experience of the entire planet for this and future generations. Self-improvement is not for the self's improvement.

Self-improvement and being concerned for the welfare of future generations are certainly wholesome intentions. But they are not, in and of themselves, going to lead to Nibbana, though they may indeed be supportive to the goal.
  • edited April 2010
    Why not just commit suicide to end Dukkha (not that I am suggesting anyone should do this), if there is no rebirth, surely that's the easiest way?

Despite the seemingly ridiculousness of this question, it is actual a valid one that ought to be answered.

Isn't death the end of dukkha? (Even if it's temporary until rebirth)
  • edited April 2010
    For those who deny, ignore or find rebirth & karma irrelevant, I would suggest any of the Abrahamic religions. They have a fine ethical practice and a one-lifetime view.

The Dharma without karma & rebirth is like a zombie - with neither brain nor heart.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Rebirth "doesn't matter" because there are good reasons to end suffering NOW, in this life, in this moment. If we are reborn, great & we will reap good karma in future lives; if not, ce la vie!
    Stephen wrote: »
    I don't have blind faith. I have an absence of both belief and disbelief on things that I can neither prove nor disprove. That's the only correct way to view things.
    I agree. That's kind of my point actually. We get hung up on what we believe/disbelieve, but in the case of rebirth, it actually doesn't matter so much in the end.
    The Dharma without karma & rebirth is like a zombie - with neither brain nor heart.
    Why?

p.s. Zombies actually have brains AND hearts.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    p.s. Zombies actually have brains AND hearts.

... for dinner.