Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can BUDDHISTS not be VEGETARIAN?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    IT'S NATURAL:)
  • edited May 2010
    The functions of human jaws and intestines are not meant for meat eating. Animals have cognitive mind like mankind, they rebirth and enlightened as well. the only different between animals and mankind is that mankind devises weapons that kill animals for food. Goat eats grass and live longer lifespan, whereas tiger eats meat live a shorter lifespan. Health is important for a blissful living and realization of Absolute nature.

ANIMAL IN THERAVADA BUDDHISM
    http://src.ac.th/web/index.<wbr>php?option=cont...ask=view&id=<wbr>626

They used to put me (Sixth Patriarch Master Hui Neng) to watch their nets, but whenever I found living creatures therein I set them free. At meal times I put vegetables in the pan in which they cooked their meat. Some of them questioned me, and I explained to them that I would eat the vegetables only, after they had been cooked with the meat.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Would the Buddha approve of your unskillful and hate filled rant at meat eaters on this forum?

If you seek to emulate The Buddha's teachings, I suggest you try to remember The Buddha taught us to have compassion for ALL sentient beings, including ones you don't like very much. Perhaps you could remember that next time you look down your nose at those who eat meat.

How does simply asking a question about what the Buddha would approve of equal a "hate filled rant"? :confused:
    And frankly, the chainsaw bit was indeed melodramatic.
    One could call it melodramatic, but that does not mean it does not happen.
    It depends where you go. This isn't how mass-production in the US is at all though--it wouldn't be efficient or practical.
    I don't think that the president of The Humane Society would feel the need to testify before congress about animal cruelty, if that were actually the case across the board.
    everything possible is done to ensure the cows stay calm and aren't frightened (which would reduce meat-quality). When they're killed, for the same reason it is done as quickly as possible.
    I would agree that this is true for some places but not for all places where animals are slaughtered. But, most people go to the regular supermarket and at the supermarket, how do you know that that meat did not come from a animal that was abused horribly during it's life? You really can't.

Personally, I think that what the Buddha said regarding the eating of meat is mostly irrelevant today. The Buddha never witnessed how animals are being treated in some places today.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Look, I don't see how some people think it's OK to eat meat if someone else's killed it!

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Each person must follow their judgement and conscience regarding eating meat.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldn't go as far as saying eating meat is natural, as humans are blessed with the skill of rational logic, which is great and we should be thankful for because it allows us to have the choice whether to eat meat or not :)
    edited May 2010
    Yes, it's indeed quite a blessing :)

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Yes, it's indeed quite a blessing :)

All the best,
    Jellybean

......... and a curse. We are condemned to choice and cannot escape it.
    edited May 2010
    That too...
  • edited May 2010
    hahaha
  • edited May 2010
    Well the taste of veggies makes me want to puke, so I will have to leave the acquisition of that skill for my other lives:D.
    I really don't see this as an isssue to being a Buddhist; as surely it will be sorted out eventually in the course of learning during our lives cycles.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Iroger wrote: »
    Well the taste of veggies makes me want to puke, so I will have to leave the acquisition of that skill for my other lives:D.
    I really don't see this as an isssue to being a Buddhist; as surely it will be sorted out eventually in the course of learning during our lives cycles.

There is some science behind vegetables tasting bad to some mouths. I suggest trying to roast them with some bread crumbs and see if it helps. Unless you were just making an excuse, then boo on you :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    i've been a vegan for 3 years. the fact is that life feeds on life... the intentions behind the industrialization of meat, and the process itself are incredibly grotesque, and very harmful on many levels. today i'm a freegan like a monk. there's very little reason to buy most animal products.
  • edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    There is some science behind vegetables tasting bad to some mouths. I suggest trying to roast them with some bread crumbs and see if it helps. Unless you were just making an excuse, then boo on you :)

With warmth,

Matt

Thanks for the suggestion Matt, which I will try out. Yes it's boo on me as I am pretty attached to my steak and chops at the moment, but hey, an excuse is just a postponement to an act, unlike a justification which is more likely to be a never never event.:)
    edited May 2010
    I am pretty attached to my steak and chops at the moment
    only in singapore...
    17146_1227113959778_1286914115_30603872_2723606_n.jpg
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Looks like it has some spice and sauce. Interesting. Different from the lettuce tomato mustard ketchup pickle onion. Both good. Sorry off topic.

On topic to aMatt how do you get the bread crumbs to stick? flour wash then egg wash? Do you fry or sautee the vegetables (sautee you could then next add a little water to steam)...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Looks like it has some spice and sauce. Interesting. Different from the lettuce tomato mustard ketchup pickle onion. Both good. Sorry off topic.

On topic to aMatt how do you get the bread crumbs to stick? flour wash then egg wash? Do you fry or sautee the vegetables (sautee you could then next add a little water to steam)...

After I cut up the intended vegetables I toss them with a small amount of olive oil. My favorite is broccoli, with a finely minced clove of garlic and panko breadcrumbs. (pre-toast the crumbs for 4 minutes or so, then broccoli for 7 minutes at 350) Though peppers, squash, zucchini, pea pods are all wondrous. A bit of ground ginger can also help accent the sweetness and avoid that snappy bitterness... whisk it with the olive oil first though or it might clump.

Happy veggie eating,

Matt
    edited May 2010
    this makes me a saaaaad panda...
    edited May 2010
    I don't think it's wrong to eat meat but I don't think it's right to keep animals to eat, hence I eat responcibly sourced wild fish and free-range eggs, I'll move to goats milk when I'm older :)

All the best
    Jellybean
  • edited May 2010
    Simon proposes to blowtorch dogs for pleasure; Simon’s only reason for torturing the dogs is that he derives pleasure from this sort of activity.
    Why does this proposition disturb most?
    Because most would agree that it is wrong to inflict unnecessary suffering on animals.
    And what do we mean by “unnecessary”? We mean that it is wrong to inflict suffering or death on animals merely because it gives us pleasure or we find it amusing. Simon is inflicting unnecessary suffering and death on the dog; he is torturing an animal for no reason other than his pleasure and amusement.
    In truth, the actions of Simon are morally non-different from those of anyone who eats meat, dairy, or eggs?
    What is the only justification that we have to inflict pain, suffering, and death on 50 billion sentient nonhumans?
    The answer: we enjoy the taste of animal products. We derive pleasure from using animals even though there is no necessity involved.
    We Are All Simon.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    The only difference being that first of all, Simon doesn't use the dogs for anything other than his perverse pleasure.

The other thing being that there is a great deal of law forbidding and punishing wanton, needless and inhuman cruelty to animals - INCLUDING those destined for the meat market.
    And finally - the question of eating meat is a personal choice - even amongst Buddhists. (Did you know for example, that Tibetan and Nepalese Buddhists must eat meat in order to ensure a balanced diet, such is the scarcity of a fully-rounded diet there? And the way they slaughter their animals would be condemned here in Europe....)

Furthermore, extreme, sensationalist and unnecessary comparisons such as yours actually do nothing to either enhance, or promote your position, one jot.
  • edited May 2010
    Meat can only be procured through the use of violence. Consequently should we consume animal products we are most certainly supporting that violence.
    "You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity."
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Fine, I'm not denying that.
    but it's individual choice, for which there is no damnation.
    State your case, by all means, but stop beating people round the head.

Opinions differ, and that's fine.

Anything else?
    edited May 2010
    I would like it understood that I am not the 'Simon' referred to above, nor have I ever used a blowtorch on an animal - not even a human animal, although I might be tempted by a prat calling itself "ElricKinslayer".
    edited May 2010
    Um, maybe, Elric, because people want to eat?

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited May 2010
    I would like it understood that I am not the 'Simon' referred to above, nor have I ever used a blowtorch on an animal - not even a human animal, although I might be tempted by a prat calling itself "ElricKinslayer".
    :lol::lol:
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Elric the Idiot
    haaa...

come on now, lets at least keep this thread somewhat respectful and free from name calling.

Would you like it Love'N'Peace if other members of this forum would reply to your posts by calling you names like this?

Elric is not promoting racism or anything, only expressing his/her disgust for animal suffering, the way she/he sees it.

Regardless of what that member have to say, we should all try to stay respectful and open minded.
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry, I must admit that was childish of me, I just got irritated with him/her calling Simon a sadist and all. I don't believe in eating captive meat but that's my personal choice. Again, I'm sorry.

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry, I must admit that was childish of me, I just got irritated with him/her calling Simon a sadist and all. I don't believe in eating captive meat but that's my personal choice. Again, I'm sorry.

All the best,
    Jellybean

I didn't read his post as referring to our Simon specifically. I think he was just using a generic name for a general example. He could have just as well used Bill, or George, or Sue.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010

bwahaha... You know, I looked back a bit to see if you had said something that would justify your presence in the story. I guess there is more than one Simon in the world. Strange...
    edited May 2010
    I was still angry that the notion of eating meat could be considered 'sadist'.

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited May 2010
    Hehehe, there's lots of Matts too...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hehehe, there's lots of Matts too...

Heh, that's why I am just a Matt. Although I admit to once thinking I was THE Matt.

With warmth,
    (a)Matt
    edited May 2010
    Well you and everyone else are just "a" but I'm of course "The" Jellybean :D

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Growing up in the english country side surrounded by farms I can honestly tell you all that animals die for the production of vegetables, fruit and grains. Maybe not as much as meat consumption, but if people really feel that strongly against the meat industry they might as well stop eating altogether. Or grow your own :)
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    bwahaha... You know, I looked back a bit to see if you had said something that would justify your presence in the story. I guess there is more than one Simon in the world. Strange...

Reminds me of the story of the two Englishmen on holiday in Germany before the First World War. Sitting drinking their beer at an open air cafe on Unter Den Linden, one says to the other: "The Emperor really is a bloody fool." Overheard by a policeman, they are arrested. They protest that the Kaiser is not the only emperor in the world, to which the policeman replies: "Very true, but he is the only one who really is a bloody fool."

With love from the only member here who advertises his name as 'Simon'.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think we would have to discontinue just about everything in this modern world if we truly wished to say we were not in some way responsible for the deaths of millions of animals around the world on a daily basis...

A huge issue in our world is deforestation. With deforestation comes the destruction of entire ecosystems, animals are becoming extinct daily largely impart due to unnatural deforestation caused by mankind so that we can wipe our butts, have our hamburgers and fries (and don't forget to upsize it), live in houses, etc...

Here are just some of the reasons why mankind contributes to mass deforestation:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xWfSSaQKW1sJ:www.saveourearth.co.uk/soe_rainf.php%3Fid%3D2+deforestation+macdonalds&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

So Elrick... unless you live naked in the woods and live off of nuts and berries then you are by your own logic just as culpable for the deaths of animals the world over as any one of us... It's easy to single out the meat eaters but there is much more to the reality of this issue than the directly obvious.
    edited May 2010
    I think we would have to discontinue just about everything in this modern world if we truly wished to say we were not in some way responsible for the deaths of millions of animals around the world on<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-4" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;"><layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-2" style="background-color: Fuchsia; color: black;"></layer></layer> a daily basis...
    True
    unless you live naked in the woods and live off of nuts and berries then you are by your own logic just as culpable for the deaths of animals the world over as any one of us...
    Definitely not true. You argue<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-38" style="background-color: Dodgerblue; color: black;"></layer> that culpability is equal across the board regardless of how one lives. If that were the case, then even living naked in the woods and living off of nuts and berries would not make any difference, which is obviously not true.

ElricK may not have great prowess in composing an argument, I agree. But to claim that culpability is equal across the board, regardless of how one lives, is simply illogical.
  • edited May 2010
    The Buddha, when He converted a non-Buddhist, got the convert to promise five things, These five promises are called ' Panca Sila ' (The Five Precepts).
    The first promise of these five is that ' I promise not to kill any living being. ' This indicates that the primary quality a Buddhist should possess is non-violence. The Buddha denounced all forms of violence. The Buddha asked loving-kindness to be extended not only to men, but even to all animals.

To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
    --The Buddha

Wilbur burst into tears. "I don't want to die," he moaned. "I want to stay alive, right here in my comfortable manure pile with all my friends. I want to breathe the beautiful air and lie in the beautiful sun."
    E.B. White (Charlotte's Web)
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    seeker242... Na, I wasn't making it a sweeping "conclusion"... I'm not that deep... just conjecture on my part... I'll leave absolute conclusion making to others.

As for equal culpability... perhaps not but I doubt there are many who can claim that there lifestyle does not in some way impact the lives of animals whether directly or indirectly...

I sit in my living room typing on my computer and I look around at that which can conceivably be called "mine" (no-self aside)... The house, my clothes, furniture, my car in the driveway, etc...

Then i look beyond just what i have in my home but look at each item and how it actually got there, the vehicles that transported it and the material abstracted from nature to create them, the warehouses that they were shipped to and the materials that were abstracted from nature to create them, the stores that i purchased said items in and the materials that were abstracted from nature to create them...

Then look even deeper, at all the people involved in said transportation, warehouses, stores and the homes that they "possess" and the materials abstracted from nature that created it all... If not for my (and societies) need to consume such items then said warehouses, stores, transportation methods (ships, cars, transfer trucks, trains, plains) might not exist (or perhaps just not in such numbers) and people would not possess all the "stuff" they "possess" and all those animals may not have needed to die so we could live so comfortably...

If we just ate nuts and berries and wore no clothes... what sentient beings would die?

Perhaps if all the meat eaters stopped eating meat, maybe all the animals that only ate nuts and berries who now can't find any food to eat because us humans have taken it all for ourselves... then what... they would die of starvation in large numbers as well... Not just from depleted resources due to our consumption but from more deforestation caused by increased land area needed for agriculture...

For those against the eating of meat what do you suggest would be the ultimate scenario? Take into consideration that our planet now has a human population of 6 billion + ...
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha, when He converted a non-Buddhist, got the convert to promise five things, These five promises are called ' Panca Sila ' (The Five Precepts).
    The first promise of these five is that ' I promise not to kill any living being. ' This indicates that the primary quality a Buddhist should possess is non-violence. The Buddha denounced all forms of violence. The Buddha asked loving-kindness to be extended not only to men, but even to all animals.

"Abstaining from taking life." Householders Sutta; http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.179.than.html

Elric, to promise not to take life would be an impossible promise to keep. As has been pointed out, almost every part of our mordern daily lives involves the killing of santient beings, be-it accidental, on purpose, or through ignorance. Almost all forms of transport involve killing insects and sometimes animals. Almost all forms of farming involve killing insects and animals. Many products we use might have once been a home for animals, or the land on which the factory was built. The list goes on and on. I'm not saying not eating meat is good. I prefer not eating meat myself, but I am realistic in realising that many many santient beings are killed so I can continue to live. Even the vegetables I eat have blood on them.
    These kind of scare-mongering and over-the-top tear-jerking stories you come up with are, well, over the top. As I said in another thread, I grew up in rural england surrounded by farms. My friends parents used to take part in the anual slaughter of rabbits and other "vermin" to keep the farmers vegetables and wheats from being eaten. The same vegetables that end up on our dinner plates.
    There are "better" ways to live, of course, but lets not kid ourselves. We need to be realistic. This is why Buddha taught us to "abstain". Abstain means to refrain from by choice. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/abstain He did not teach us to promise not to kill.

Nios.
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha, when He converted a non-Buddhist, got the convert to promise five things, .............

Did the Buddha ever "convert" anyone? I thought, from my limited reading and listening, that he offered a way out of suffering and that, in some cases, one or more of those around him, either by his words or by his silence, "woke up". Did he ask anyone to promise anything, other than, possibly, the ordained?

On the matter of group culpability, I know it is a sore point with many. Nevertheless, if I take seriously, either as factual or as metaphor, the notions of karma and rebirth, have 'I' not been a murderer, a philanthropist, gay, straight, male, female, slave and free? Even as metaphor, I can find the 'seeds' of all of these in me, traces of all the good and all the evil that we, as a race, have done and achieved.

Having said that, what is the point of feeling guilty? Isn't just another way of massaging and strengthening the ego?
    edited May 2010
    I doubt there are many who can claim that there lifestyle does not in some way impact the lives of animals whether directly or indirectly...

Totally agree. It's not possible to have no impact. However your posts make is seem like there are only 2 options, either "impact" or "no impact". When there is actually varying degrees of impact which are dependent on ones actions. Ahimsa means living in a manner that has the least impact with regards to creating suffering as is practical because it is simply not possible to be alive and have no impact. Obviously, someone who lives in the middle of nowhere and their only source of food is animals, giving up meat would not be practical because they would die of starvation. However, for someone that shops in huge supermarket with 1000 choices, one could argue that it is.
    If we just ate nuts and berries and wore no clothes... what sentient beings would die?

The insects that you accidentally step on and kill as you are walking through the forest collecting nuts and berries would be some of them.:)
    edited May 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    ..................The insects that you accidentally step on and kill as you are walking through the forest collecting nuts and berries would be some of them.:)

We really do need to distinguish between the moderation of the Buddha's teachings and the extremism of Jainism Of course, there will always be those for whom moderation is not enough, which explains why Mahavira's precepts are still followed. It is, however, not Buddhism (as I understand it).
    edited May 2010
    Elric, for your information your stories not only disturb people who are in some cases vegans, vegetarians or people who consume organic food but you mention no source. Also, pigs (of which I do not consume) are very clean animals. ;)

The world population is btw 6700000000, or 6.7 billion. Your ideas, Elric, are idealistic; a nice thought but unacheivable. Sorry, it's Life :winkc:

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    We really do need to distinguish between the moderation of the Buddha's teachings and the extremism of Jainism Of course, there will always be those for whom moderation is not enough, which explains why Mahavira's precepts are still followed. It is, however, not Buddhism (as I understand it).
    Following up on Simon's comment, the Buddha taught that karma is intentional action. To abstain from killing is to avoid intentional killing.

A biologist once estimated that whenever you take a step in a meadow, you step on seven spiders. And of course, you're stepping many other types of wee beasties as well. Not even the Jains are able entirely to avoid killing.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Elric, for your information your stories not only disturb people who are in some cases vegans, vegetarians or people who consume organic food but you mention no source. Also, pigs (of which I do not consume) are very clean animals. ;)

The world population is btw 6700000000, or 6.7 billion. Your ideas, Elric, are idealistic; a nice thought but unachievable. Sorry, it's Life :winkc:

All the best,
    Jellybean
    just like developing greener technology was impossible?

Of course 7 billions people will not change their habits in an eye blink.
    perhaps 4-5 billions of them eat meat regularly.

if only 10% of those would eventually change their habit, it would make a big difference.

Eating a vegan diet is possible for many.
    even desirable for many health wise.

Once a movement gain some momentum, progress can come.
    just like the green movement.
    edited May 2010
    Aah, but it's impossible not to kill. It's one of the few things in life that's totally impossible. Of course, your body kills all the time- fighting infection ;)

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Eric, when you reference a supposed story from the suttas, or put words in quotations and attribute them to the Buddha, I for one would greatly appreciate you providing a citation (from suttas).

Quoting a freakin' pig from a fictional (well, duh?) children's book in a cheap attempt to emotionally manipulate your audience isn't very good debate style, either.
    edited May 2010

He/she asked what beings would be killed by eating nuts and berries and insects is the correct answer, yes? Of course it is extreme to never walk in the forest because you might kill some bugs. Which is why I don't personally worry about walking in the forest. But in the context of this thread about meat, picking vegetables over meat at the supermarket, some people consider that to be extreme. I don't think it even comes close.:)
    the Buddha taught that karma is intentional action. To abstain from killing is to avoid intentional killing.

I agree. :-) However, the situation with some people goes like this. When they find out that their actions are supporting the creation of suffering and killing, there is a natural tendency to not want to contribute to it, which arises from compassion of course. For example: I know that if I go to the local supermarket and buy a piece of meat, I know that suffering and killing had to take place in order for that piece of meat the be in the supermarket to begin with, because no sentient being enjoys being killed. So the intentional act of purchasing that meat becomes equivalent and synonymous to intentional support for the killing, which, because it is intentional support for killing, is a violation of the precept of no killing and creates karma.

One could argue that one is not supporting the killing of animals by buying that piece of meat but that is not really realistic if there are other choices besides meat. The meat is there because there is a demand for it and by buying it one is contributing to the demand for it thereby intentionally contributing to the killing, if the existence of the meat to begin with equals suffering and killing. The contribution is minuscule yes, but it is a contribution nonetheless.

Also, for people who see it this way, the act of not changing their behavior becomes an intentional act because the natural compassionate response is to change it to alleviate suffering and when one does not change that behavior, that also becomes an intentional act, which violates the precepts and creates karma. Does any of that make sense? LOL :)
This discussion has been closed.