Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

smoking poll

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited September 2010 in General Banter
I am just curious to find out what people here think about smoking.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I think it's an absolutely foul habit, I hate the stench, I hate the way it makes everything smell of stale smoke, and I hate the way my partner 'tastes' when I give him a kiss.
    it's a loathsome, disgusting habit, and is toxic.
    hence, if Buddhists want to include it as part of the 5th precept, I'm all for that.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I am just curious to find out what people here think about smoking.
    my opinion about smoking is the same as my opinion about suicide.
  • edited August 2010
    Smoking stinks!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    :) true that. I admit I experimented with substances through my teens, but one thing I have never done is smoke as a habit lol..
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Ugh, just thinking about cigarettes makes me sick. I used to smoke American Spirits, and sometimes I still crave them.

My best friend has smoked heavily for years and it's killing him, it makes me so sad :( I'm glad I quit and I try to encourage him to do the same, but he started when he was 8 years old (!!!) and he's turning 36 this year. It's a horribly addicting habit. I'm surprised the tobacco companies stay in business with all the death and disease associated with their products.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    They stay in business because they create enormous revenue for the Government.
    They target the young (The smokers of the future) and lace their products with addictive substances, in order to keep people craving and smoking.
    Nicotine is the drug, but it's not the substance in cigarettes that makes them addictive. Those are artificially added.
    But it represents a huge contribution to Government coffers. So, while (In the UK) advertising is banned, and the packets carry sombre adverts and chilling warnings -this does nothing to cut down on the numbers of people smoking, because the addiction is kept going, and the dependency high.
  • edited August 2010
    i've never been that swayed by tobacco.
    but apparently a lot of people like it, and i don't mind smoking some every once and awhile
    but i do smoke mother theresa. maybe at some stage in my life i'll have no need of it, as a result of a natural high that needs no augmentations.
    but smoking earth's herbs on occasion in a healthy way has been fun.
    edited August 2010
    They do make a lot of money for the government in tax for sure. But on the flip side when I was studying graphic design at university, we were deconstructing an ad commissioned by the UK government via the NHS to warn people about smoking and drinking. The government would rather have a healthy working force of a nation to keep everything rolling and money coming in. But yes, there are obviously 2 sides to this, as you have stated the obvious money through tax coming from tobacco
  • edited August 2010
    Each to his / her own, as long as I'm not forced to breath it in too. Made such a difference when they decided to ban smoking in public in some countries. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    yes yes, smoking is horrible blah blah... haha. what else can you say on this topic that hasn't already been said?

for me personally, i'm about 4-5 months into quitting. it's mostly smooth sailing at this point, but also difficult at times still. i could write at length about how interesting it was to go through withdrawal now that i am more aware of my mind...but i have to run off to work here in a second, so perhaps later if you all are interested.

sufficed to say that i am quite proud of myself because i haven't slipped up once and as soon as i put my mind to it, i found it quite easy. i quit cold turkey. it also helps that my state just passed a ban on smoking in public. it is definitely easier when i'm not around it as much.

now why i started at all... that's a pretty stupid story, so i'm not even going to go there haha.
    edited August 2010
    I have never felt the withdraw form tobacco, I have heard from some people it is quite intense. But as always, I consider the mind to be a powerful tool indeed.For example, my dad use to be a chain smoker before I was born after he came out of the army. On the new years eve of my 1 year alive, he quit and he hasn't smoked since. He is now a health freak to the MAX! lol. But yea, he use to smoke something like 40 a day so say and just stopped like that. I think it does rely a lot on will power and mentality. Good on you though madam zombie, keep it up :)

I just wanted to start a poll basically on the subject..
  • edited August 2010
    My whole family smokes except for me, well I admit I have smoked, marijuana before. But almost every teenager has/does. I still do on occasion. :o
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I smoked cigarrettes as a teen to fit in and be like everyone else around me at the time. It was stupid to do it but that's what teens do, they wanna belong. It didn't take long before I realized I didn't really WANT to keep doing it and I never smoked cigarrettes from that point on.

Later in my life, I became a pothead and suffered quite a few adverse consequences from it. I used to love the high, but then the high turned awful and wasn't pleasurable anymore, so I was literally forced to quit. I admit I still miss pot tho and the culture left a big mark on me, as I now still enjoy stoner music a whole lot (reggae, surf rock, dub, you name it).
  • edited August 2010
    I became a heavy smoker while in the Army due to stress and then while in country did cause I had nothing better to do. I stopped smoking cigarettes complete and have had no withdraw symptoms. I do smoke the other stuff on a frequent occasion to relax after 8 hours of being elbow deep in poopy.
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I smoke. I wish I'd never started for quite a few reasons listed in this thread. I have quit quite a few times before but it's difficult to stay on the wagon as my husband smokes and is quite happy to do so.

I used to smoke pot as well but THC doesn't go so well with a panic attack disorder that manifested in my late 20s. Possibly related? I wouldn't be surprised.
    edited August 2010
    I smoked weed/pot for about 7 years, pretty much every day apart from a few periods when I didn't bother or had no money. I also felt a few bad effects after a while such as paranoia and just a general uncomfortable feeling. I have never smoked cigarettes as a habit though lol. Back in school when I was around 13, everyone tried it and a lot of people started to smoke to look cool. But I also resented my mother smoking so I never began.
  • edited August 2010
    Smoking gear for many years gave me a social phobia and paranoia which I'm still dealing with and I haven't touched the stuff for over eight years.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I quit smoking seven years ago and I haven't looked back. I can taste everything so much better and breathe much better.

In metta,
    Raven
    edited August 2010
    I quit smoking seven years ago and I haven't looked back. I can taste everything so much better and breathe much better.

Congratulations to you and all the other sensible people on this thread who have kicked the habit. Good job!
    edited August 2010
    gear, you mean brown? if that is the case, then fair play mate, seriously that takes some doing. glad to hear it has been 8 years :)
    edited August 2010
    gear, you mean brown? if that is the case, then fair play mate, seriously that takes some doing. glad to hear it has been 8 years :)

What's "gear" AND "brown"!? I'm confused.
  • edited August 2010
    No Tom just E, Speed and cannabis, that was bad enough.
    I don't even drink now or eat meat, my body is a temple :D I enjoy keeping fit and have run over 600 miles this year. Unfortunately the psychological damage takes a lot longer to repair.
    edited August 2010
    Funny you mention E, that was my weakness as a matter of fact. I smoked weed for 7 years yes, but I would not exactly call it physically addictive. E isn't actually physically addictive either, it is a mental addiction I would say. Anyway, me and my friend for some absurd reason kept count of the E's we took over 4 years, (1gram of mdma = about 10 if we had that instead) and I got past 900 :/ But yea, I am glad that is behind me, moving to thailand was the catalyst I think. If I was still living in the UK I would be in pretty much the same situation. You have made a huge change staying where you are, so props to that.

'Gear' is a word given to drugs, often given to heroin in specific which is why I said brown, another nickname. Glad I never went that far :P

I set up this thread as I was curious to see the notion practicing buddhists had towards smoking in general. Here in Thailand you see far less smokers than back in the UK. I would say back in the UK 7/10 adults smoke, here maybe 1/10 lol..
  • edited August 2010
    I smoked cigarettes for 13 years, gave up 8 years ago. Have no desire to ever smoke again, it seems like such a silly, pointless habit in hindsight.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Smoking is pleasurable with a pipe and good tobacco. It is a pleasurable 'taste' just as alcoholic drinks can be a pleasurable taste experience. It is a conditioned or as we call it aquired taste.

Cigarettes taste pretty bad compared to pipes or cigars, and the intent is more to get high than to enjoy a once a week smoke. As users develope tolerance to nicotine they become addicted which means they don't get high anymore and they just need nicotine to avoid anxiety. Its like a relief to get your cigarette but you don't get the 'buzz' as strong.

Both of these types of smoking are VERY bad for the health. Pretty much every type of bad illness has risk go up from smoking. If I had to choose I would smoke a pipe once a week before a 1/2 pack a day cigarette habit.

I would like to smoke because it tastes good (pipes/cigars) but I do not because they are so harmful. Also it is hard to find a place where you will not irritate others who do not wish to smell your smoke.
    edited August 2010
    I have never actually smoked any pipe tobacco or a cigar before. I always use to like the smell of my grand fathers pipe when I was a little boy though lol.

Has anybody ever smoked something really ridiculous before? Maybe as a teen or something. I remember a few funny situations when I was a bit younger that spring to mind.
    I had this best friend at the time when I was a little wreck head abusing all kinds of substances and he was also a wreck head, very bad influences on each other actually. Anyway, we were out of weed one time so he decided to smoke some tobacco in a bong, but he put about 2 cigarettes worth in and smoked it in one hit lol.
    Also I dared him to smoke a cigarette coloured in with marker pen lol. The same person also tried smoking ketamine once :/ I think we tried the banana skin thing on one occasion. stupidity lol
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Anyway, we were out of weed one time so he decided to smoke some tobacco in a bong, but he put about 2 cigarettes worth in and smoked it in one hit lol.
    Also I dared him to smoke a cigarette coloured in with marker pen lol. The same person also tried smoking ketamine once :/ I think we tried the banana skin thing on one occasion. stupidity lol

Yeah man I've smoked funny stuff. Cherios, and tea. :lol: Yes, cherios.

I smoke ciggys... A good alternative I reccommend for someone who just wants to put something in their lungs are electronic vapourizing cigarettes.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2010
    hahahaha smoking poll, ive heard the expression about smoking: suckin on satan's you knwo what.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    When I was in highschool i smoked marijuana and we bought this joint rolling machine with little rollers. We practiced on oregano because we didn't have any marijuana that day. We didn't actually smoke the oregano but we did light it if I recall. What funny memories. I think some things like that can be fun but then the health problems and addiction (mental) problems are just so miserable.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Has anybody ever smoked something really ridiculous before? Maybe as a teen or something. I remember a few funny situations when I was a bit younger that spring to mind.

when i was like 13, a friend and i tried smoking cat nip. haha.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I've never smoked anything. I watched my father die of lung cancer, it's not something I'd like to go through myself, nor put my loved ones through again.
    edited August 2010
    I am sorry to read that your farther died in such a way, at least now he is free from pain and suffering ..
    I watched my mother smoked cigarettes and I strongly disliked seeing her do so from a very early age, which is why I stayed away from smoking them.

Alcohol and cigarettes are actually more dangerous to health than pretty much every illegal substance. A government scientist from my home town back in England published a report that got him fired lol. It stated stuff like ecstasy is less dangerous than horse riding and if alcohol was being introduced into society today, it would be a class A substance. It is quite interesting how the most harmful substances are legal... But I guess you could also look at the other negative aspects of illegal substances, how they ruin lives and destroy the brain. I personally think the class system in place is very wrong and unrealistic though.
  • edited August 2010
    Alcohol and cigarettes are actually more dangerous to health than pretty much every illegal substance.

Perhaps not every illegal substance, but certainly a lot of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20drugs.gif

It is quite interesting how the most harmful substances are legal... But I guess you could also look at the other negative aspects of illegal substances, how they ruin lives and destroy the brain. I personally think the class system in place is very wrong and unrealistic though.

I agree. It's insane. Illegal substances do ruin lives and destroy the brain, but don't alcohol and smoking (nicotine) do that too? Also, I think there'd be far less illegal drug related illness if a lot of illegal drugs were legalised and regulated. It's well known that a lot of the health related problems that come with illegal drugs are to do with things like dirty needles, impurities, accidental overdose and that kind of thing.

I wonder how many people who smoke or drink regularly now would pick a safer drug if they were more readily available.

Reading this back to myself I realised that this may come accross like a bit of a rant. That wasn't my intention. :)
    edited August 2010
    lol. I think a lot of the time in life to voice a strong opinion on something, you have to have experienced that matter in some way. Just hearing somebody say something is not always enough. I have foolishly tried probably over 20 individual substances in my life, (excluding the legal ones) and of course they have a very negative affect on ones existence. I think if you legalize the drugs that are now illegal, that will encourage many more people to try them and maybe form a habit. As much as the class system is incorrect in my view, it does stop many law abiding people from ever being tempted by these lures.
    However, as you mentioned people who are at the very top of a long chain in the illegal drug world do incorporate impurities and hazards into the drugs. At the peak of my ecstasy binge, I was taking ecstasy every weekend and use to buy 10-12 pills for myself, my friend doing the same thing. These pills could havehad literally anything in them. Ecstasy pills these days are only around 5% mdma and the rest is a total guess.

As your graph clearly depicted, heroin is by far the worse of the worse, surpasing alcohol and cigarettes for physical harm and dependency. That and crack do cause a lot of crime within communities and has the power to ruin lives.

I am too content to be out of that way of life now, I had my days of experimenting and crazy adventures into the woods all night under the influence of whatever, but the downsides to these habits far outweigh the good times.
    If there was one illegal drug that I would say is near enough harmless it is LSD. If you get caught selling acid, you serve the same amount of time as selling heroin. Although LSD has never actually killed anybody, it is not physically addictive and if you have the right mental disposition and are in the right mood, it can induce a multitude of epiphanies.
  • edited August 2010
    I think if you legalize the drugs that are now illegal, that will encourage many more people to try them and maybe form a habit. As much as the class system is incorrect in my view, it does stop many law abiding people from ever being tempted by these lures.

This is true. I didn't mean I think that ALL illegal drugs should be legalised though, just some of the less harmful ones. :) Yes it would most likely mean that more people would be tempted to try them in the first place, but that might not be such a bad thing if it means they choose something less harmful over alcohol or nicotine. I can see the potential risk in suddenly making a lot of illegal drugs legal though (even if they were relatively harmless), I guess that's why governments are extremely hesitant to ever do it.
    If there was one illegal drug that I would say is near enough harmless it is LSD. If you get caught selling acid, you serve the same amount of time as selling heroin. Although LSD has never actually killed anybody, it is not physically addictive and if you have the right mental disposition and are in the right mood, it can induce a multitude of epiphanies.

To be honest LSD is one thing I've always been interested in trying, but never have because of fears over impurities etc. I guess this sort of proves your point though... ;)
    edited August 2010
    lsd is lsd. It is a very complex and fragile chemical but out of all the illegal substances, lsd is rarely tampered with. There is lsa and a few other chemicals that people try to sell off as lsd sometimes, but I use to get it in liquid form luckily enough. The guy was a university student and had a few bottles in his fridge always, those medicine bottles that are commonly related to ear medicine. He use to put each drop onto a sugar cube.
    As I said, it is a very fragile chemical. Sunlight or any UV light will weaken it, chlorine and a variety of other chemicals.
    From my experiences with lsd, those who are simple minded and lets say not that intellectual often do not agree with it or see it as a negative thing. When I first took it I realised so much about my own life, where I was going wrong and things of this nature. Similar to how meditation works in fact, but obviously artificial and at a price :P I ventured off into the woods with a friend after taking a gram of mdma each and we ate 2 sugar cubes each and I consider that day/night to be one of the most profound in my life. The vibrancy of the wilderness was immense, everything was alive and was so pure. Where ever you gazed, everything looked like the perfect photograph as if it had been enhanced in photoshop :p We sat and watched the birds gliding above us, one bird left trails behind it of several birds, the grass moved as if it was fire flickering in the wind, it was a very intense moment but at the same time so natural. Me and my friend talked about why lsd was so illegal and we discussed the matter that if people took this they would become hippies and lives in nature lol, not contributing to society. That is my rant :P I haven't taken lsd for over 2 years now, i gained social anxiety and if I ever took it, I would exaggerate that feeling. That is often how lsd works on the mind, the mood you happen to be in dictates your trip.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I was a light smoker for around 10 years (Kamel Reds were my cancer stick of choice). And when I say light I mean a single pack would last me around a week. I haven't touched a cigarette in 5 years now. For me it was nothing to quit. I'd almost say there wasn't really any conscious effort on my part. I simple smoked my last cigarette and just never bothered to buy any more after that. My parents, on the other hand, neither one has ever been able to quit. Nor has my sister, nor were my grandparents.

I also use to smoke weed a fair lot. Not any everyday thing, but usually a couple of times a week (sometimes more, it just kinda depended). Again, I haven't touched it in years ether. I tried cocaine one time. Hated it. Didn't not enjoy the feeling at all. I've always been curious about LSD, but I've never tried it and probably never will. My real love, when it comes to drugs, was opiates. Still is in a way. I'll be perfectly honest and admit that I may still, on occasion, down a lortab or such for non-medicinal purposes.
    edited August 2010
    opiates :( not good, but then again we should never judge people. Opiates tend to make me nauseous and be violently sick lol, apart from valium. I took some morphine one time in pill form and about 45 minutes later I started to be really sick. I was sick every 10 minutes for about 14 hours lol, it was horrible. It felt like I had an extreme case of motion sickness constantly.
    I hope you manage to get away from opiates though because I am sure you are aware of their addictive power.

Props to you on not smoking, it seems you never smoked regularly enough to become addicted though..
    Before moving out of the UK I lived in a shared house with an ex con. Previously I had lived in student accommodation with 5 other people, but I got kicked out after 5 months, that is another story entirely. Anyway, this ex con was actually the best house mate I have ever encountered. He was so generous, so trusting and clean. He never took food, left a mess anywhere or was every selfish. In over a year we had one argument and that was whilst we were both drunk at the time. The thing is, he use to grow weed for personal use. A few plants every harvest so for me it was hard not to smoke weed as I use to wake up and he would shout up stairs to me, 'joint!'. He use to smoke all day every day basically, living in a haze.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'm aware and I've always managed to regulate my recreational drug use (probably why I never really smoked enough to get addicted to them).
  • edited August 2010
    I had a really bad time on LSD once, in fact for a few hours I didn't even know who I was or even how to move, I have never been more frightened.
    I can remember the rush coming over me like crashing waves, I get nervous just thinking about. I honestly think I was on the edge, of what I don't know possibly insanity. That night was a turning point for me, I'm still deeply affected by it.
    edited August 2010
    It is pretty appropriate that you brought up the notion of losing your idea of self on acid because this is quite a common thing to happen to people who take too much or have a natural low tolerance. It has never happened to me, but it happened to a friend of mien once and he went home and freaked his mum out leaving me in the bad books :P But yea,losing the idea of self and the ego can happen and some peopel say it is a very profound moment and others hate it
  • edited August 2010
    Correct Tom it was a large dose I wasn't expecting. Not knowing who I was, where I was, or why, unable to speak, move or even think at times yet being more awake and in the moment than can be imagined. I've never thought about it as no self but yes that's how it was. Thank you Tom.
    edited August 2010
    Yea when it happened to my friend I got quite anxious and worried as I had never seen anyone like that before. He kept shouting 'who am I' or 'what is this, it's a head, why is it there.' things like that lol. He still had a smile the whole time though, a crazed grin. But he wanted to go into town to a club and I said no way, I am not going to town with you like that. So he went home where he got even more crazy so say, and started pulling light bulbs out of their socket because he thought the light was positive. His mum was crying and took him to the hospital as she had no clue what was wrong with him. He is fine now though which is good :) He took 2 drops and I had 6, but it was his second time and didn't expect it I think.

I read about the loss of the ego or self on acid on the net afterwards, and found a lot of material and reports of people who have gone through it. Some people said it was a beautiful experience to lose the self and having to rebuild the notion of I back up again from scratch.
  • edited August 2010
    Well it certainly wasn't beautiful for me, it opened a door to paranoia which is firmly nailed shut these days. Anyway back to smoking, we used to buy single Benson and Hedges for 10p from the local shop.
    edited August 2010
    Glad to hear the paranoia has gone :) Like I said, whatever happens to be on your mind consciously or subconsciously will dictate your time on acid.

You use to be able to buy single cigarettes at the local shop? lol. I never use to smoke but at school some kids use to buy them and sell them for 50p each to the younger kids LOL. Not exactly morally correct, but a lucrative business none the less.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I smoke. Habit? Perhaps.
    Addiction? Most definitely.
    I really need to stop smoking, but it's extremely hard to even explain the addiction to someone who has never been addicted to anything. They say nicotine is as strong an addiction as heroin
    edited August 2010

I smoked a bug. Not on purpose, my friend played a joke on me lol
    edited August 2010
    Vagabond wrote: »
    I smoke. Habit? Perhaps.
    Addiction? Most definitely.
    I really need to stop smoking, but it's extremely hard to even explain the addiction to someone who has never been addicted to anything. They say nicotine is as strong an addiction as heroin
    Yes, it alters your brain chemistry. Nicotine mimics acetyl choline, which is a neurotransmitter, when you smoke your brain creates more acetyl choline receptors to accommodate the influx of nicotine.
    When you remove the source of nicotine there is not enough acetyle choline produced to interact with all the new receptors, so your brain cells go a bit wacky (to use the technical term). This why you feel the craving for nicotine, and why when you try to give up you feel so rubbish and irritable.
    edited August 2010
    You sure do know a lot. Another thing is, I take 54 MG of Concerta (for ADD) every day, which I know I can do without, but within about 30 minutes of taking the pill, I crave the nicotine really badly. However, if I don't take the pill, I can probably go six hours before having a smoke, and I'll have the smoke out of habit, not addiction. It's really weird.
    edited August 2010
    Vagabond wrote: »
    You sure do know a lot. Another thing is, I take 54 MG of Concerta (for ADD) every day, which I know I can do without, but within about 30 minutes of taking the pill, I crave the nicotine really badly. However, if I don't take the pill, I can probably go six hours before having a smoke, and I'll have the smoke out of habit, not addiction. It's really weird.
    Apparently methylphenidate (concerta) interacts with the same pathway, although not exactly the same receptors, as nicotine does. So that might not be so weird.